Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Anyone else here have sleeping trouble?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> This aint sports talk!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tinoynk

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to never be able to get to sleep within at least an hour, usually an hour and a half or 2, but for some reason lately it's been easier. Now that I work 9-5 I'm usually exhausted by the time I come home, let alone getting the itis from dinner and getting nice and drowsy drinking a nice beer and watching a movie.

But whenever I have trouble falling asleep its usually just because I can't stop thinking about literally every little thing. I think about the fact I have to stop thinking, but that only makes me think more.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tinoynk wrote:
I used to never be able to get to sleep within at least an hour, usually an hour and a half or 2, but for some reason lately it's been easier. Now that I work 9-5 I'm usually exhausted by the time I come home, let alone getting the itis from dinner and getting nice and drowsy drinking a nice beer and watching a movie.

But whenever I have trouble falling asleep its usually just because I can't stop thinking about literally every little thing. I think about the fact I have to stop thinking, but that only makes me think more.

That usually happens during the summer. I pass out at 11. The rest of the year is a different story.
Silver&Black88

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It takes me forever and I hate it. Especially when I really need the sleep its even harder to fall asleep.

Tonight I was passing out on the couch at half time of MNF. So I go upstairs to go to bed and end up wide awake. Le sigh.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My sleeping problems come and go, whether it be with stress or whatever, I'm not sure. Good nights I get maybe five hours of sleep, bad nights I get 2 or 3, or sometimes zero. I've grown accustomed to living off little sleep which is probably not good, considering I have to get up for work everyday at 6 AM, but it's better than taking medication. I used to for years as it was prescribed to me(I've always had sleep problems), but they were never good for me and I became addicted to them. I'm not saying medication is bad for everyone, but it wasn't for me.

It's incredibly frustrating feeling so tired lying in bed, but unable to fall asleep. I hope one day I can get over it, but I find it doubtful. Considering it's 2 am and I have to be up for work in 4 hours, I guess this is a decent example of my constant war with sleep. Laughing
holt_bruce81

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always had sleeping problems. I'm usually up to between 4-6 am pretty much every night, and on occasion I'll be up until around 9-10 am. I know part of it is because I drink way to much soda, but I kind of like chillin, no one else up to bother you or anything, it's kinda nice. And I am pretty productive, it's usually when I get my homework done.
boondock

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have trouble sleeping, but that's usually because I'm on call for work and it is extremely hard for me to fall back asleep once I have woken up.

This morning for instance, woke up at 3AM by a caller, still awake.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had issue falling to sleep quickly and staying asleep, I still have issues from time to time, mainly that I won't be able to fall asleep at all some nights, will get light sleep until about 2 and then fall asleep and sleep until about 5:45 or so at best. However melatonin has done wonders for me. People say it gives you weirder dreams or you dream more (probably just because it helps you sleep better and deeper) plus I tend to think of that as an added bonus. It is something that people could try to help sleep.

theJ

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to when i was younger, age 13-16ish. I would lay there for a few hours sometimes. At some point i realized it was because my mind was going 15 different directions, and when i didn't fall asleep right away my frustration from not being able to sleep would only compound the situation.

So i started intentionally clearing my mind as soon as hit the pillow. If my mind started to wander, i would just picture the color white and clear everything again. Crazy as it sounds, after about a year of doing that i now no longer have to give sleep any thought. I'm out usually within 30 seconds of laying down. In fact, it's a problem in the opposite way now. If i lay on a couch for more than 2 minutes, i fall asleep.

For those that have trouble sleeping, pills and other things will work, but i highly suggest becoming very intentional with your sleep. No sugar for a few hours before bed. Calm your mind in the half hour or so before bed. That means no video games or stimulus like that. And then when you lay down, purposely clear everything from your mind and keep clearing if your mind wanders. Don't stare at the clock. Forget the clock. It may take some time, but you can train your mind/body to fall asleep better (just like you can train it to play sports, or not crave candy, etc).

Don't follow your passion, take your passion with you.
tom cody

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm usually a good sleeper but I think your best bet for sleeping well is to think of pleasant thoughts. Also if you do go the sleeping pill route talk to a doctor first to make sure you get the right dosage and whatever.
PantherDE90

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It takes more about an hour or more to go to sleep when I lay down. Mainly because like everyone else my mind is going everywhere. I don't mind it though. I do my best thinking when I'm trying to go to bed. I have some kind of insomnia where my quality of sleep is like half what it's supposed to be or something. It was a while ago when I was told this. I'm tired all the time but I've gotten used to it because I've been like this since I was a kid. I have mad ADHD too so I don't if that's a factor. I'm cool with it though. People with ADHD are funner than non-ADHD havers. Cool

"There are many things given to us in this life for the wrong reasons. What we do with such blessings, that is the true test of a man." - Gannicus
Shockey1979

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as I have a consistent humming noise like a fan or an AC I am good to go. I cannot stand the sound of dead silence. How people can sleep in absolute silence like that is beyond me. I also suffer from the mind racing. Which I usually prevent by having the TV on until I get drowsy. Being a second shifter screws me up to. I don't get hom from work until 1am and I'm in bed by 3am. Sometimes it's just not enough wind down time.

"A lion roars in the darkness only he holds the key, a light to free me from my burden and grant me life eternally"
Da_Bearz

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been noticing this week I've been having troubles. But I usually just get up, get a glass of milk, warm it up in the microwave, chug it down, then I'm asleep a little bit later.

I think there are a few factors, like my irregular sleep pattern, thoughts going through my head like crazy, etc. But one of the biggest ones IMO is the fact that I live downtown, so as you can imagine there are ton of lights. And the blinds in my apartment are white, so they don't keep the light out that well. Heck, I could walk back and forth in the dark in my place. I use a sleeping mask, but sometimes it gets a little uncomfortable and I throw it off.

When my lease gets near it's end, I'm gonna consider looking into other places, maybe still downtown (proximity to work is important), but hopefully with smaller windows I could cover up easily.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Da_Bearz wrote:
I've been noticing this week I've been having troubles. But I usually just get up, get a glass of milk, warm it up in the microwave, chug it down, then I'm asleep a little bit later.

I think there are a few factors, like my irregular sleep pattern, thoughts going through my head like crazy, etc. But one of the biggest ones IMO is the fact that I live downtown, so as you can imagine there are ton of lights. And the blinds in my apartment are white, so they don't keep the light out that well. Heck, I could walk back and forth in the dark in my place. I use a sleeping mask, but sometimes it gets a little uncomfortable and I throw it off.

When my lease gets near it's end, I'm gonna consider looking into other places, maybe still downtown (proximity to work is important), but hopefully with smaller windows I could cover up easily.

I live literally like right next to train tracks. Probably 40 or so yards away and the only thing between my house and the tracks is the woods.

"There are many things given to us in this life for the wrong reasons. What we do with such blessings, that is the true test of a man." - Gannicus
Da_Bearz

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PantherDE90 wrote:
Da_Bearz wrote:

I live literally like right next to train tracks. Probably 40 or so yards away and the only thing between my house and the tracks is the woods.

You just reminded me that I also live next to a fire station, but noise I can get used to for some reason

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Da_Bearz wrote:
PantherDE90 wrote:
Da_Bearz wrote:

You just reminded me that I also live next to a fire station, but noise I can get used to for some reason

I don't think I'll ever get used to the trains going by my house. Them blowing their horns or whatever their called. It wakes me up every time.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> This aint sports talk! All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: