Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

If your team's best player got a severe concussion...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Estonianzulu

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tylerdouglass wrote:

Football is a game.

More importantly, football is a business. You are selling yourself in return for income, if you want to stop, you can.

The Military is not a business, that is why we celebrate those who serve and we do not celebrate stock traders.
tylerdouglass

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mozwanted wrote:
tylerdouglass wrote:
mozwanted wrote:
tylerdouglass wrote:
mozwanted wrote:
if he was cleared to play by the doctors then he better play out his contract.

So a doctor gets to decide if a player risks hurting his quality of life after football?

yes, if he signed to play for the contract then he should play it out if cleared by the doctors.

Security contractors in iraq and afganistan dont even get the choice and they dont just risk injury they risk their lives. Theirs no i retire or quit button for those security contractors. Us armed forces dont get choices after then sign a contract they have to serve their contract or else they get dishonorably discharge and some go to prison if they just decide to leave war(where they can be killed).

Why should millionaire athletes be any different?

Football is a game.

yes it is, and they get paid millions. If they sign a contract and they are healthy to play they should fulfill the contract.

So what you're saying is a players commitment to a team to play a game, is more important than his desire to live a happy, healthy life.

Got it. You seem reasonable.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the most stupid line of thinking I have seen in some time.

Every contract has different terms of agreement. A military contract has no clause letting you decide to terminate but an NFL contract allows that. Just because a military contract is set up a certain way doesn't mean every other contract has to follow that type of terms. Someone who signs up for the military also signs up to be on call 24/7 always subject to the whims of their superiors. The basically sign their rights away, Does that mean since NFL players sign a contract, they should have to live up to THAT too? No. The contracts are completely different.

I've spent some time working as a contractor (as well as being ex military myself) and yes there have been times where I quit the job. I walked out on the contract. Once it was because of things happening on the job, the other, family medical emergencies I had to go tend to, but in both cases the contracts had provisions and clauses for that eventuality.

NFL contracts allow players to retire mid contract at their discretion. Not "they have to get permission", but whenever they want to. Heck, Brett Favre used it as a means to manipulate the system and get to Minnesota. He was "debating" retiring 3-4 seasons before he did (the first time) and I guarantee you he was under contract that entire time.

Players are allowed to walk on their contracts if they don't want to play anymore. It's their decision and their right to make that decision.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: