Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

If your team's best player got a severe concussion...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eagles_808

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sayheykid wrote:
I'd like to think I would feel happy for him for being smart enough to get out while he still had his relative mental and physical health and a good quality of life ahead of him.

QFT here
DetroitSpirit

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YlionsY wrote:
IDOG_det wrote:
So, like what happened to Jahvid Best except he's not our best player?

Yep. Megatron gets a severe concussion thats going to effect him for the rest of his life he needs to walk away.

I'll miss the highlight reel catches and great games but football is a game. No need to effect the next 50 years of your life with devastating conditions. Wouldn't blame him a bit.

He's made enough money. Go live life.

He's given his all for his for a couple years now. If he chose to walk away that's fine.
eagles101

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

id feel that we had one smart cookie. severe concussion are no joke.

props to deadpulse

vikingsvikings wrote:

I don't understand most of that, but I can tell it's probably inaccurate.
EliteTexan80

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd applaud Arian Foster or JJ Watt if they walked away. More to life than just a game, you know?

I'd ESPECIALLY be grateful if Foster walked away. Guy is such a bright young guy, it would be downright painful to see him try to continue and take more abuse, and end up punch drunk and not as sharp as he is now...

iPwn, Kempes and Flaccomania: The official sig makers for THE ET80!
YlionsY

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DetroitSpirit wrote:
YlionsY wrote:
IDOG_det wrote:

Yep. Megatron gets a severe concussion thats going to effect him for the rest of his life he needs to walk away.

I'll miss the highlight reel catches and great games but football is a game. No need to effect the next 50 years of your life with devastating conditions. Wouldn't blame him a bit.

He's given his all for his for a couple years now. If he chose to walk away that's fine.

Well lets say its an elite talent-Revis type CB or Sanders type RB and they have only played 1 or 2 years but you know they are destined for great things. Once in a lifetime talent. Yet they suffer a devastating concussion.

Would you want them to continue on with their careers or walk away from it all?
TomRalph

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be disappointed that we lost our best player to an injury that could have been prevented.

Also, if a player has to retire from an injury is there some sort of compensation the NFL can grant, like late draft picks and the like?

I assume if the Texans lost JJ Watt, they would only have gotten 2 years out of the 11th Overall pick and lost one of the best defensive players in the league. Surely there must be some sort of protocol to maintain the parity that draft picks are supposed to provide.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd respect him for being smart enough to walk away when he felt he needed to.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomRalph wrote:
I'd be disappointed that we lost our best player to an injury that could have been prevented.

Also, if a player has to retire from an injury is there some sort of compensation the NFL can grant, like late draft picks and the like?

I assume if the Texans lost JJ Watt, they would only have gotten 2 years out of the 11th Overall pick and lost one of the best defensive players in the league. Surely there must be some sort of protocol to maintain the parity that draft picks are supposed to provide.

They can have Sedrick Ellis, from the Saints.

Seriously though, IDK if there is anything like that in place. I mean, what if a team just picked an injury prone player? Why should they be compensated for that? Players wouldn't fall in the draft due to injury concerns nearly as much as they do if something like this were in place. Part of the challenge in building a roster is making things work when you lose guys.

Last edited by tylerdouglass on Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
RainbowCarebear

Location: "Are you hungry, child?" Yes, she thought, but not for food.
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frustration, anger & sadness, but I wouldn't him.

"Do you imagine Whoresbane loves you any better? If you did not hold the ..., he would pull out your entrails and make you eat them"
"In return, we swore that we should always be their men"
tylerdouglass

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RainbowCarebear wrote:
Frustration, anger & sadness, but I wouldn't him.

You wouldn't him? Even if he accidentally the whole thing?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I mean I don't know who the Ravens' best player is right now but if he got a concussion I would feel bad for him that he had to end his career, but also feel good that he chose to put his life before a game.

BlaqOptic wrote:
I'd say he's [Dennis Pitta] the fourth best TE in the division... Cameron > Miller > Gresham > Eiffert = Pitta
Flaccomania

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tylerdouglass wrote:
TomRalph wrote:

They can have Sedrick Ellis, from the Saints.

Seriously though, IDK if there is anything like that in place. I mean, what if a team just picked an injury prone player? Why should they be compensated for that? Players wouldn't slide due to injury concerns nearly as much as they do if something like this were in place. Part of the challenge in building a roster is making things work when you lose guys.

Yeah, there's no way that the NFL would compensate a team for that. Otherwise, you'd have to include every player who suffers an injury that essentially ends their careers. And then what about teams who have a player who suffers an injury and never fully recovers enough to be back at what they once were (think: Eric Berry not returning to 100%), etc. It'd have a gigantic trickle down effect.

So the short answer is no: the NFL is never going to compensate a team for losing a player due to injuries.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YlionsY wrote:
DetroitSpirit wrote:
YlionsY wrote:
IDOG_det wrote:

Well lets say its an elite talent-Revis type CB or Sanders type RB and they have only played 1 or 2 years but you know they are destined for great things. Once in a lifetime talent. Yet they suffer a devastating concussion.

Would you want them to continue on with their careers or walk away from it all?

Jahvid Best. I would be just fine if he walked away from it all right now.
roysmyboy31

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very sad both becauser my team lost a great player and bad for the player because he is being forced out of the game before his time.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peterson wouldnt walk away, therefore, this scenario isnt plausible. If he were to walk away, you would think this injury would be one to consider walking away from.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: