Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Should Division One Schools Be Able To Pay Players?
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> This aint sports talk!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bigbadbuff23835

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:28 pm    Post subject: Should Division One Schools Be Able To Pay Players? Reply with quote

Yes or no?

Looking for more of a reason as to why they should be able to...(Doing a speech on it)
IrishGreen

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no, it's opening up pandora's box

even so, they already do get paid. free education (almost every D1 school is above average academically overall), free food, free gear, a stipend every month, etc.

El Ramster on the amazing work
Flaccomania

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They somewhat already are -- they are giving them a free education.

But that said, if D1 schools start paying players, why can't top high schools do the same? The trickle down effect is going to be hard to get by.

So in my opinion, no, they should not -- they should just continue to give them the benefits they already receive which is free education, free room & board, and the ability to have a very flexible schedule.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why stop at division one? I would be for paying college players a reasonable amount.

I would be against paying recognizably larger "salaries" for bigger named players.

It would help stop some of the scandals involving teams giving benefits to certain prospects.

And it would also help the guys without the scholarships get through college.

Not a Knicks fan
SadLionFan00

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They get free tuition, room, and board to play a freaking sport. Also, almost every one of them has the easiest major, and they get breaks from professors all the time.

They get enough. If they start getting paid, I will boycott college sports. I work harder than most of them, and I have to pay for everything myself.
Get him to fling poo more accurately and make better decisions when flinging it?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
SadLionFan00

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gmen4ev wrote:
Why stop at division one? I would be for paying college players a reasonable amount.

I would be against paying recognizably larger "salaries" for bigger named players.

It would help stop some of the scandals involving teams giving benefits to certain prospects.

You mean like almost everyone else who goes to college?
Get him to fling poo more accurately and make better decisions when flinging it?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Gmen4ev

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SadLionFan00 wrote:
Gmen4ev wrote:

Yea I see what you're saying ... dont know very much about player benefits and all.

Does everyone (even 3rd string punters) get free room/board? Or is it just the bigger named guys?

Not a Knicks fan
CBears019

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ones who get scholarships get a free education from some of the top universities in the country. They're celebrities on campus and once they graduate they have an opportunity to become a pro and make millions of dollars. If they don't go pro, what do they do? Enter the job market just like the rest of us do, only they won't have any student loans to pay off.

And the ones who don't have scholarships still get everything the other players do except for free tuition. But if they play well enough they can still be awarded one later.

I would hate to see college players paid. I get that the NCAA makes ungodly amounts of money off of these sports, but these guys get enough as it is.

Adopt-a-Bear: Martellus Bennett, TE
Rec: 36 Yds: 364 TD: 4

AZBearsFan wrote:

He's a playmaker though, and we can use more of those in the Devin.Fart
SadLionFan00

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gmen4ev wrote:
SadLionFan00 wrote:
Gmen4ev wrote:

Yea I see what you're saying ... dont know very much about player benefits and all.

Does everyone (even 3rd string punters) get free room/board? Or is it just the bigger named guys?

The majority of players are on scholarship. The walk-ons pay for everything themselves, so they are basically a regular student who spends whowever many hours a week at football practice.

I respect the walk-ons. They dont get free tuition and board, but they still play football and go to college. Thats love of the game, right there. But, if they work hard enough and can make an impact in games, even if it just as small one, they can get free tuition, too.
BigBillsFan13

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SadLionFan00 wrote:
They get free tuition, room, and board to play a freaking sport. Also, almost every one of them has the easiest major, and they get breaks from professors all the time.

They get enough. If they start getting paid, I will boycott college sports. I work harder than most of them, and I have to pay for everything myself.

Well, in a lot of cases yes. Not every student athlete is on a scholorship though. In football for example, unless I'm mistaken, I believe only about 1/2 of the team is on scholorships, at least full ride.

But what about students that get free tuition, room and board, etc, on academic scholorships? I understand what you're saying, but is it different that one person works hard at sports his/her whole life to get a free education, and one person works hard in academics? They both get the same thing, they just worked their tail off in different things to get it.

The one difference I see in these 2 scenarios is that the college makes a TON of money off of the major sports, and the major sports stars. Let's just take Texas A&M for example. They get to sell Manziel jerseys/memorabilia for at least another 2 years. They will make a killing off of the first Freshman Heisman winner in history. And he will get nothing more than another student that may very well not contribute any money to the school.

I'm not saying athletes should or shouldn't be paid, and I'm not taking anything away from the everyday student who isn't in athletics, I'm saying that there are more factors than just "they get a free education..."
BBF doesn't get run over by cars, cars get run over by BBF
broncosfan07

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, it's not going to stop players from getting paid on the side or during recruiting.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think so. But I also don't think you should bust their balls if they want to sell their jersey on eBay or be in a commercial.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing to consider is these athletes spend so much time in practice, traveling, and in the classroom, there is literally no time for a part time job. College athletes likely work ten times harder than a typical college student who is going to school full time, working part time and actually has free time to socialize. College athletes may be celebtrities but they literally have no free time for a good chunk of the college year.

I have a lot of high school friends who were athletes at big time D1 programs, you have no idea how time consuming it is until you actually know of people who have had to deal with it.

I think college athletes already receive generous benefits so I dont think they need cash on the side, i just wanted to point out typical college students do not work nearly as hard as college athletes.

I think its incredibly ignorant to suggest that a majority of college athletes do the easiest of majors. just look across the league at players in the NFL and look at their majors.
IrishGreen

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
One thing to consider is these athletes spend so much time in practice, traveling, and in the classroom, there is literally no time for a part time job. College athletes likely work ten times harder than a typical college student who is going to school full time and working part time. The typical college student probably doesnt even work part time.

I have a lot of high school friends who were athletes at big time D1 programs, you have no idea how time consuming it is until you actually know of people who have had to deal with it.

I think college athletes already receive generous benefits so I dont think they need cash on the side, i just wanted to point out typical college students do not work nearly as hard as college athletes.

I think its incredibly ignorant to suggest that a majority of college athletes do the easiest of majors. just look across the league at players in the NFL and look at their majors.

Yea athletes work hella hard, ultimately it pays off when you get to play in front of 100,000 people though.

But they do get a lot of help on school work. Especially at the big time programs. You'd be surprised how much help they get.

El Ramster on the amazing work
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IrishGreen wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:
One thing to consider is these athletes spend so much time in practice, traveling, and in the classroom, there is literally no time for a part time job. College athletes likely work ten times harder than a typical college student who is going to school full time and working part time. The typical college student probably doesnt even work part time.

Yea athletes work hella hard, ultimately it pays off when you get to play in front of 100,000 people though.

But they do get a lot of help on school work. Especially at the big time programs. You'd be surprised how much help they get.

Typical college students can get help too. There are plenty of tutors and programs around the school, its not like they dont have access to help. Obviously typical college students have much more free time to figure things out on their own.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> This aint sports talk! All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 1 of 13

Jump to: