Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Goodell concerned HD TV getting too good
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
candyman93

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom Shean wrote:
_Iverson38 wrote:
FirstDownFaulk wrote:
This is a non issue because there are always going to be people that prefer the atmosphere and experience of the live event. I think that for most Americans it's either one of these issues or a combination of them...

1. Money - It has become too expensive for the average American family to attend football games. When you add up the cost of gas, ticket prices, concessions, etc.....you're looking at a family of 3 dropping anywhere from $300-$500 for something they can enjoy in the comfort of their own home. Again....the experience may outweigh the cost for some.

2. Time - I was a Patriots' a season ticket holder (until I moved to NY seven years ago) since '83 and grew up/lived 30 minutes from the stadium. I would usually be there tail-gating by 10-11 most mornings for a 1pm game. The issue was getting home. I'd find myself waiting in jampacked parking lots for 2-2.5 hours most Sundays. Again....the experience may outweigh this inconvenience for some.

3. Weather - I know many people that would prefer to sit in the warmth of their living room to fighting off hypothermia in 10 degree wind chills. Again....the experience may outweigh this discomfort for some.

4. Crowds/People - Some people would just prefer to walk to their fridge and get a drink instead of waiting in line for 45 minutes to spend $9.00 on a watered down 12oz beer. Also, with the recent spotlight on obnoxious/violent fans, some don't feel it's worth the risk going to games. Personally, I've never had an issue with obnoxious fans but they've been around me and all it takes is a simple response to stir something up. As I said, I haven't been a part of the nonsense, but I've witnessed it COUNTLESS times.

I would also add the TV timeouts to this list. Those things are BRUTAL to sit through. Especially the TD - commercial - Kickoff - commercial bullish*t they started doing a few years ago.

The NFL can't keep adding these little alienating things and not expect some sort of backlash.

Almost as annoying as - commercial - punt - commercial.

In our game against Baltimore this scenario happened:

Thought quarter was over:

>Run play to end quarter
>Commercial Break
>Oh wait there is still 1 second left so run play
>Commercial Break
>Punt
>Commercial Break
dbronx42

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why pay $400+ dollars for 2 tickets, plus parking and food expenses when i can just watch the game at home on my 55 inch HDTV with surround sound...?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this why that bastard hired Cee-Lo Green to do the intros? So I'd go to the games in fear of seeing him every week? I feel duped.....

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoCalNiner wrote:
Is this why that bastard hired Cee-Lo Green to do the intros? So I'd go to the games in fear of seeing him every week? I feel duped.....

Hilarious Very Happy
NextBigThing

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of you guys have it good! Face value of good seats at Foxboro is $180+!
A sunny disposition is worth more than fortune. Young people should know that it can be cultivated; that the mind like the body can be moved from the shade into sunshine. Thine own reproach alone do fear
FirstDownFaulk

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NextBigThing wrote:

SRO tickets are the best way to go at Gillette these days.

Superman(DH23)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NextBigThing wrote:
We ain't talking good seats, we're talking nose bleeds, selling for $160 on the secondary market.

2013 Bears Forum Mike Ditka Award Winner
2014 Adopt-A-Bear Alshon Jeffery
steadypimpin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superman(DH23) wrote:
NextBigThing wrote:
We ain't talking good seats, we're talking nose bleeds, selling for $160 on the secondary market.
yeah there's no way that nosebleeds should cost any more than $100 each.

Thanks to IDOG_det on the sig!
2011 & 2012 NFC West Champs!!!
Xbox: Steadypimpin49
"Keep choppin' wood"
sp6488

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

steadypimpin wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
NextBigThing wrote:

Well, they apparently should if they're going for that on the secondary market. If people are selling them at that price point and others are willing to pay that, then they certainly are worth that amount.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going to football games is a miserable experience compared to watching on TV.

Too expensive, you can't see the game nearly as well, too many [inappropriate/removed], too long of lines, too many breaks, takes all day between driving parking walking etc.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sp6488 wrote:
steadypimpin wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
NextBigThing wrote:

Well, they apparently should if they're going for that on the secondary market. If people are selling them at that price point and others are willing to pay that, then they certainly are worth that amount.
It's why I hate the secondary market, yeah I know supply/demand blah blah blah, but you could almost charge any amount for Bears tickets, the fan base is so massive and the ability to go to a game is such a rarity that people will pay almost anything for them. Actual fans don't get a chance to buy a single game ticket at face value b/c of the secondary market. If you want to pay face value for tickets you have 2 options, either buy the season tickets (which you currently have a 50+ year wait) or buy the 3 game package. Those are your only choices, otherwise its spending whatever the secondary market decides the tickets are worth.

sp6488

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superman(DH23) wrote:
sp6488 wrote:
steadypimpin wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
NextBigThing wrote:

It's why I hate the secondary market, yeah I know supply/demand blah blah blah, but you could almost charge any amount for Bears tickets, the fan base is so massive and the ability to go to a game is such a rarity that people will pay almost anything for them. Actual fans don't get a chance to buy a single game ticket at face value b/c of the secondary market. If you want to pay face value for tickets you have 2 options, either buy the season tickets (which you currently have a 50+ year wait) or buy the 3 game package. Those are your only choices, otherwise its spending whatever the secondary market decides the tickets are worth.

Who are "actual fans?" You? I'm guessing that willingness to pay increasing sums of money is strongly correlated to level of fandom.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sp6488 wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
sp6488 wrote:
steadypimpin wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
NextBigThing wrote:

Who are "actual fans?" You? I'm guessing that willingness to pay increasing sums of money is strongly correlated to level of fandom.
I said actual fans don't get a chance to buy tickets at face value, what does that have to do w/ fans willing to pay on the secondary market?

sp6488

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superman(DH23) wrote:
sp6488 wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
sp6488 wrote:
steadypimpin wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
NextBigThing wrote:

I said actual fans don't get a chance to buy tickets at face value, what does that have to do w/ fans willing to pay on the secondary market?

Apologies, I missed the at face value portion. I still stand by what I'm saying though. 'Actual Fans' make up the majority of season-ticket holders, I would assume. And a long waiting list indicates that there are numerous 'actual fans' who want the opportunity to attend a game.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superman(DH23) wrote:
sp6488 wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
sp6488 wrote:
steadypimpin wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
NextBigThing wrote:

I'm not sure if it's the same in Chicago, but in SF a lot of people buy season tickets for the sole reason of re-selling them at 3x face value. I'm just glad tickets to Candlestick aren't very expensive, tickets to the new stadium will cost a fortune in the secondary market.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9

Jump to: