Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Goodell concerned HD TV getting too good
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mco65

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me its worth the added expense to BE at the game but there is a limit to what I will and can spend. I had season tix 20 years ago to Texas Stadium (cowboys). For similar seats in the new stadium it would cost me 10x as much.. i don't make 10x as much as i did back then.. so I cant afford season tix any longer.. now I simply try to make 1 game a year at the new Stadium. The cost is definitely detrimental to attendance.
_Iverson38

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FirstDownFaulk wrote:
This is a non issue because there are always going to be people that prefer the atmosphere and experience of the live event. I think that for most Americans it's either one of these issues or a combination of them...

1. Money - It has become too expensive for the average American family to attend football games. When you add up the cost of gas, ticket prices, concessions, etc.....you're looking at a family of 3 dropping anywhere from $300-$500 for something they can enjoy in the comfort of their own home. Again....the experience may outweigh the cost for some.

2. Time - I was a Patriots' a season ticket holder (until I moved to NY seven years ago) since '83 and grew up/lived 30 minutes from the stadium. I would usually be there tail-gating by 10-11 most mornings for a 1pm game. The issue was getting home. I'd find myself waiting in jampacked parking lots for 2-2.5 hours most Sundays. Again....the experience may outweigh this inconvenience for some.

3. Weather - I know many people that would prefer to sit in the warmth of their living room to fighting off hypothermia in 10 degree wind chills. Again....the experience may outweigh this discomfort for some.

4. Crowds/People - Some people would just prefer to walk to their fridge and get a drink instead of waiting in line for 45 minutes to spend $9.00 on a watered down 12oz beer. Also, with the recent spotlight on obnoxious/violent fans, some don't feel it's worth the risk going to games. Personally, I've never had an issue with obnoxious fans but they've been around me and all it takes is a simple response to stir something up. As I said, I haven't been a part of the nonsense, but I've witnessed it COUNTLESS times.

I would also add the TV timeouts to this list. Those things are BRUTAL to sit through. Especially the TD - commercial - Kickoff - commercial bullish*t they started doing a few years ago.

The NFL can't keep adding these little alienating things and not expect some sort of backlash.
MaddHatter

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mco65 wrote:
For me its worth the added expense to BE at the game but there is a limit to what I will and can spend. I had season tix 20 years ago to Texas Stadium (cowboys). For similar seats in the new stadium it would cost me 10x as much.. i don't make 10x as much as i did back then.. so I cant afford season tix any longer.. now I simply try to make 1 game a year at the new Stadium. The cost is definitely detrimental to attendance.

Have you seen the "America's Parking Lot" movie going around? Gate 6 documentary - good stuff and speaks to what you're talking about

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Bucs advertise tickets for $30-$40 and they still don't sell. Laughing

Adopt-a-Buc Lavonte David 12 Games | 133 Tackles (16 for loss) | 1 Sack | 4 PDs | 3 FFs | 1 FR
Boltstrikes

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like has been touched on. Going to a game monopolizes my Sunday. Take out the huge price difference and there is still the argument that I can watch the game from home and still have most of my day free vs the all day commitment going to Qualcomm entails for me. Maybe if my team cared more about winning they'd be worth the whole day but right now they are pushing being worth the approximately 8 hours a week I spend watching or talking about them.
SnA ExclusiVe

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah the obvious problems:

Prices
Stoppages in play
Convenience

Those all factor in. Goodell shouldn't be worried about TV's getting better and better, he should be concerned and prices continuously being jacked up, stoppages in play every 30 seconds, and basically it just not being very convenient to go to a game. It's a fun experience if you go like once or twice or something like that, but after that it just turns to nothing but blowing money.

If he wants to improve fan turnout, lower the prices, less TV commercials (which obviously won't happen because Roger is all about that money!), and figure out ways to make it more convenient and enjoyable to go to games (maybe, idk, figure out a way to stop the stabbings and shootings? That's a start).

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love going to games. Seattle is a great atmosphere, the stadium is really nice, and it's somewhat of a tradition for my dad and I to go. I might prefer TV if my team was broadcast on CBS instead of FOX Laughing
Swift21

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless it's a monday night game I'm definitely not attending any Niner games. NFL Sunday ticket junkie here.

Sig credit goes to IDOG_det
SoS wrote:
Pete is just an arrogant wanna-be Jim Harbaugh but he's just not as smart.
Smile
phillipraz

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i feel attending games as a fan of the visiting team has not been a pleasant experience the past few times ive gone. i dont expect the red carpet to be rolled out or anything, but too many people are getting out of hand which ruins the experience for me. unless its phx or san diego (which are close for me), dont think id travel to any visiting stadiums anymore.
J Pep 4 Step

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superman(DH23) wrote:
J Pep 4 Step wrote:
Just looked at the ticket prices for Panthers at Chiefs. Theres a grip of them for 6 bucks each. Maybe the issue is that too many of you root for good teams. Root for a crappy team. Its much easier on the wallet.
Well its about quality of team and quantity of fanbase. For me as a Bears fan I can't get a ticket at face value, b/c the second market gobbles them up immediately after going on sale, which means I have to go to stub hub. If I want to go see the Vikes at Bears next week, I have to pay $160/ticket for 400 level seats. Conversely 2 weeks after that I can go to Bears at Minny (a bit further away, but not terrible) for $109 on stub hub, but there are probably face value tickets still available for the metrodome. But yeah, unless it's the NFCCG I aint doing soldier field in the rain or snow, no thanks.

I know it's neither here nor there, but those were stubhub prices. I wouldnt know where else to look for Chiefs tix. Pretty wild, eh? 6 bucks. I bet you could trade a couple ham sammiches or packs of newports for a pair.

CK on the sig
Tom Shean

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

_Iverson38 wrote:
FirstDownFaulk wrote:
This is a non issue because there are always going to be people that prefer the atmosphere and experience of the live event. I think that for most Americans it's either one of these issues or a combination of them...

1. Money - It has become too expensive for the average American family to attend football games. When you add up the cost of gas, ticket prices, concessions, etc.....you're looking at a family of 3 dropping anywhere from $300-$500 for something they can enjoy in the comfort of their own home. Again....the experience may outweigh the cost for some.

2. Time - I was a Patriots' a season ticket holder (until I moved to NY seven years ago) since '83 and grew up/lived 30 minutes from the stadium. I would usually be there tail-gating by 10-11 most mornings for a 1pm game. The issue was getting home. I'd find myself waiting in jampacked parking lots for 2-2.5 hours most Sundays. Again....the experience may outweigh this inconvenience for some.

3. Weather - I know many people that would prefer to sit in the warmth of their living room to fighting off hypothermia in 10 degree wind chills. Again....the experience may outweigh this discomfort for some.

4. Crowds/People - Some people would just prefer to walk to their fridge and get a drink instead of waiting in line for 45 minutes to spend $9.00 on a watered down 12oz beer. Also, with the recent spotlight on obnoxious/violent fans, some don't feel it's worth the risk going to games. Personally, I've never had an issue with obnoxious fans but they've been around me and all it takes is a simple response to stir something up. As I said, I haven't been a part of the nonsense, but I've witnessed it COUNTLESS times.

I would also add the TV timeouts to this list. Those things are BRUTAL to sit through. Especially the TD - commercial - Kickoff - commercial bullish*t they started doing a few years ago.

The NFL can't keep adding these little alienating things and not expect some sort of backlash.

Almost as annoying as - commercial - punt - commercial.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J Pep 4 Step wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
J Pep 4 Step wrote:
Just looked at the ticket prices for Panthers at Chiefs. Theres a grip of them for 6 bucks each. Maybe the issue is that too many of you root for good teams. Root for a crappy team. Its much easier on the wallet.
Well its about quality of team and quantity of fanbase. For me as a Bears fan I can't get a ticket at face value, b/c the second market gobbles them up immediately after going on sale, which means I have to go to stub hub. If I want to go see the Vikes at Bears next week, I have to pay $160/ticket for 400 level seats. Conversely 2 weeks after that I can go to Bears at Minny (a bit further away, but not terrible) for $109 on stub hub, but there are probably face value tickets still available for the metrodome. But yeah, unless it's the NFCCG I aint doing soldier field in the rain or snow, no thanks.

I know it's neither here nor there, but those were stubhub prices. I wouldnt know where else to look for Chiefs tix. Pretty wild, eh? 6 bucks. I bet you could trade a couple ham sammiches or packs of newports for a pair.
I have known people who have gotten into a royals game for free on game day before b/c the stadium was so empty. Cigs in MO are hella cheap tho, so it would probably take at least 2 packs of Newports Laughing

If the NFL really wants to get fans in seats they need to prevent the secondary market vendors from buying up all the tickets until gameday.

2013 Bears Forum Mike Ditka Award Winner
2014 Adopt-A-Bear Alshon Jeffery
nagahide13

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait, wait, wait... He's concerned that TV, which has pretty much always given a variety of better angles, convenience of home, price difference, replay, commentating, etc etc etc is just NOW catching up to actually going to a game, where you're pretty much guaranteed a fairly poor view from 1 angle, bad food, expensive everything, and silly amounts of time wasted in between going from your front door to your seat and back? Just now?

TV has ALWAYS had this advantage. Always.

Always.
Brodie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They need to lower prices plain and simple.

I went to the Andre Ward championship fight for $120 a ticket and got freaking awesome seats (I could see everything in the ring perfect, was super close). For that same price I could go to ONE raiders game if I want actual good seats. No way one football game should cost as much as a championship boxing match. Dont know what the prices are this year but went to a game last year and payed around 100 for the ticket

Adopt-A-Ram

Alec Ogeltree 109 combinded tackles, 1.5 sacks, 6 FF, 10 stuffs, 9 PD, 1 Int 1td.
shawn

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SaveourSonics wrote:
I love going to games. Seattle is a great atmosphere, the stadium is really nice, and it's somewhat of a tradition for my dad and I to go. I might prefer TV if my team was broadcast on CBS instead of FOX Laughing

This x100

fox is horrible

sig made by mike23md

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9

Jump to: