Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Goodell concerned HD TV getting too good
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
incognito_man

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spilltray wrote:
I'm going to preface this by saying I'm a Packers fan. I won't pay scalper prices and if I try I can usually get a ticket to one game a year.

Even then, if it's not in the first half of the season or so, I'm sorry, I'm out. I was at one of the coldest games in Packers history when I was in HS. The 1997 NFCCG. It was 3 ambient air temperature and the wind chill ranged from -17 to -23. I'm not choosing to subject myself to that again unless I happened to be able to score tickets to another NFCCG, and that would be hard.

Then there is the cost. Even NOT paying scalper prices, face value only... $72 to $92. On top of that, there is going to be $20 for parking, $8 for a beer, $9 for a brat assume over the course of an entire game you are going to have 2 beers and a brat, and that's $45 on top of your $72 to $92. $117-137, for one person, at face value.

Ticket prices are too expensive by at least half for the average fan. On top of that, they milk the captive audience and charge ridiculous prices for concessions. Now there is a smoking ban in WI, on top of that and I'm a smoker. They used to have smoking areas in the concourse but those are considered "inside" the building and gone now. By NFL rules you can't leave the stadium and reenter so that means from the time I enter until the time I leave, I can't smoke. Now by itself that's fine, but having as much as a couple of beers and a brat is already a stretch, I'd have to pay out the rear to get in the door, and then while Lambeau IS a great venue to see a game overall, those metal benches suck.

When you add it all together, it just doesn't make much sense to go to a game for me. If I stay home or go to a bar I don't have to wait in line for the bathroom, I can actually eat and drink, I can have a smoke, I can sit in a decently comfy chair (or stool, still better than bleachers) and I don't have to spend in the ballpark of $100 just to be there. There are other things I'd like to spend money on.

I got to 2-3 games a year. I never pay for parking. I usually only have one beer in the stadium and I've never waited in line for the bathroom. Even at halftime there's no line if you jump out right away.

I pay face value $72x2 + $12 for 2 beers and stay at a friend's house. So it's a $150 weekend plus good beer prices in GB bars after/night before. Pretty cheap weekend overall IMO.
Nbanflguy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont know what everyone is talking about. Do people really but tickets for like $200? I have been to 2 vikings games so far this year with some college buddies and I have a blast, like always. We get tickets for like $30 and we walk like 20 minutes to the Metrodome so there is no parking. Not that expensive and the atmosphere is awesome. That said, I really hate not knowing my how my fantasy team is doing.
howie102

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NextBigThing wrote:
Am the only one who cannot get enough of the atmosphere? All the pumped fans, being so close the players, the tail gate, it is awesome

This. Very much so.

Granted, it tends to be either rugby or cricket for me, but I go to game for the atmosphere, not the comfort. All you chaps stateside should be grateful that your stadiums are, generally, pretty modern! Remains some pretty liberal use of scaffolding and corrugated tin roofing at rugby grounds.

And count your blessings that you can drink at your grounds. "Soccer" fans can't be trusted to have a beer at their games, so be grateful for what you've got!
bungleodeon

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Estonianzulu wrote:
DontTazeMeBro wrote:
It's the stoppages in play. They feel like 30 times longer live. Just long stretches where aint nothin happening. Has nothing to do with HD.

Mostly because they aren't long enough to go to the bathroom at a stadium, but they are at home, and you can't flip to the CBS game or make yourself a drink.

Well, you can get a drink it'll just cost you 8 bucks

This is exactly right. You also have teams that play 4 home games every year in bad weather. Spend 200-1000 dollars for you and a friend to go to a game (that price range is factoring in all that goes into going to a game for some people) and we may end up sitting in a 40 degree rain storm with 20 mph winds? The price is far too high. I don't watch the Browns, my team, in HD, and I still don't ever really consider going to a game. Far too expensive for what you get. And like EZ said, going to the bathroom is just a huge pain during a game, drinks are far too expensive, parking is an outrage.
bungleodeon

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

howie102 wrote:
NextBigThing wrote:
Am the only one who cannot get enough of the atmosphere? All the pumped fans, being so close the players, the tail gate, it is awesome

This. Very much so.

Granted, it tends to be either rugby or cricket for me, but I go to game for the atmosphere, not the comfort. All you chaps stateside should be grateful that your stadiums are, generally, pretty modern! Remains some pretty liberal use of scaffolding and corrugated tin roofing at rugby grounds.

And count your blessings that you can drink at your grounds. "Soccer" fans can't be trusted to have a beer at their games, so be grateful for what you've got!

I wouldn't drink at a game anyway. 8-10 bucks for some cheap [inappropriate/removed] pee water? Yeah, I'll pass.
howie102

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bungleodeon wrote:
howie102 wrote:
NextBigThing wrote:

This. Very much so.

I wouldn't drink at a game anyway. 8-10 bucks for some cheap [inappropriate/removed] pee water? Yeah, I'll pass.

Another reason why I love watching Bath; delicious cask ale on tap, as it now is at most grounds around the country.
bungleodeon

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nbanflguy wrote:
I dont know what everyone is talking about. Do people really but tickets for like $200? I have been to 2 vikings games so far this year with some college buddies and I have a blast, like always. We get tickets for like $30 and we walk like 20 minutes to the Metrodome so there is no parking. Not that expensive and the atmosphere is awesome. That said, I really hate not knowing my how my fantasy team is doing.

I think if most of us lived down the street from the stadium it would change things. For me to go to a Browns game, I am sacrificing an entire day, possibly a day and a half. $30 tickets are usually garbage seats, and Cleveland home games have a 50/50 shot of being bad to downright terrible weather. If I were 21 still, I wouldn't mind driving through a snow storm to sit and watch the Browns play a game in sub freezing tempratures, while 3-4 inches of snow fall in 3-4 hours. It's just not that intresting to me unless I have great seats and we are in a playoff hunt.

In the early 90's I got a chance to watch the games from the dog pound (3 times). I hated the seats. Sucked having to try to watch the game happening beyond the 50 on the opposite side of the field. The only thing that made those experiences tolerable was the fact that the tickets weren't that expensive. Such is not the case anymore.
Flaccomania

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bungleodeon wrote:
Nbanflguy wrote:

I think if most of us lived down the street from the stadium it would change things. For me to go to a Browns game, I am sacrificing an entire day, possibly a day and a half. $30 tickets are usually garbage seats, and Cleveland home games have a 50/50 shot of being bad to downright terrible weather. If I were 21 still, I wouldn't mind driving through a snow storm to sit and watch the Browns play a game in sub freezing tempratures, while 3-4 inches of snow fall in 3-4 hours. It's just not that intresting to me unless I have great seats and we are in a playoff hunt.

In the early 90's I got a chance to watch the games from the dog pound (3 times). I hated the seats. Sucked having to try to watch the game happening beyond the 50 on the opposite side of the field. The only thing that made those experiences tolerable was the fact that the tickets weren't that expensive. Such is not the case anymore.

You can't even get $30 pre-season tickets for the Ravens. I went to the Colts game last season, freezing weather, and we know how bad the Colts were -- upper deck, 3 tickets, $120 each.

I like going to games -- the atmosphere is fun, tailgating is a blast, and it's fun to feel the energy of the stadium. But, a game or two a year is enough, it's just way too darn expensive and takes the entire day away. With watching on TV, I can still get some stuff done in the morning, watch the game, and then have time that evening to do whatever. Plus I can sit on my nice comfy sofa, drink some cheap beer, and not be in the 20 degree weather with $8 beers.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish they made bigger stadiums, like college sized and slightly lowered the prices. It would enhance the atmosphere IMO and it would allow more people to go because of extra seating and better prices.
2014 Adopt-A-Lion #1: Eric Ebron
2014 Adopt-A-Lion #2: Martin Mayhew

R.I.P. Stylish
incognito_man

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bungleodeon wrote:

Another nice thing about lambeau...they serve a local microbrewery there now too. I was pumped when they decided to do that.
J Pep 4 Step

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just looked at the ticket prices for Panthers at Chiefs. Theres a grip of them for 6 bucks each. Maybe the issue is that too many of you root for good teams. Root for a crappy team. Its much easier on the wallet.

CK on the sig
Superman(DH23)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

J Pep 4 Step wrote:
Just looked at the ticket prices for Panthers at Chiefs. Theres a grip of them for 6 bucks each. Maybe the issue is that too many of you root for good teams. Root for a crappy team. Its much easier on the wallet.
Well its about quality of team and quantity of fanbase. For me as a Bears fan I can't get a ticket at face value, b/c the second market gobbles them up immediately after going on sale, which means I have to go to stub hub. If I want to go see the Vikes at Bears next week, I have to pay $160/ticket for 400 level seats. Conversely 2 weeks after that I can go to Bears at Minny (a bit further away, but not terrible) for $109 on stub hub, but there are probably face value tickets still available for the metrodome. But yeah, unless it's the NFCCG I aint doing soldier field in the rain or snow, no thanks.

2013 Bears Forum Mike Ditka Award Winner
2014 Adopt-A-Bear Alshon Jeffery
broncos67

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

49ersfan wrote:
broncos67 wrote:
Honestly, if you've never been to a game, you really are in no position to comment on what an NFL game is like...

I love going to games, but they're expensive. The food/drink thing honestly is a non issue to me, because you can easily eat better food for cheaper outside the stadium. Traffic sucks afterwards, I'll give you that, but I've never really had a negative experience with an away fan, and I've only ever gone to one Broncos game at home.

The experience of being at the game is well worth it, especially for a home game.

Well for one, i live in Toronto, so the only teams games i can go to regularly are the Bills...or the CFL...i'll pass Laughing

Just curious then, what did i say that was inaccurate about the NFL stadium experience? I've been to baseball and basketball games and that's been my experiences there (long lines, traffic, and annoying fans, all it takes is 1 or 2 out of thousands).

Plus i'm a football junkie on Sunday's. If i'm free, I love dedicating the entire day to watching games. 1 pm, 4 pm, and SNF. I love watching all the games on Sunday Ticket and following the storylines of the day.

Experience isn't a big deal with me, i'm usually too zoned in to the game. Even when my friends are over and i'm watching a SF game i barely talk. Emotions run extremely high on gameday.

It's not you specifically, but there's some misconceptions that people who haven't went seem to have.

Just about every stadium, and ESPECIALLY every newer stadium is built to optimize vantage point. I sat in the last row of the Panthers stadium last Sunday, and my view was perfectly fine. I could see everything and knew who was making every play. Yes, it's not always the same as TV, but you can still see.

The food and drink thing is a given. Granted, I live in DC so I'm used to overpriced everything, but I just eat before hand, and I usually don't drink at sporting events. There's ways to get around that.

The temperature thing simply depends on time of year. If you go to an earlier game, chances are it'll be warmer. In my mind, that isn't a dealbreaker seeing I'm from the Northeast anyway so I'm used to the cold.

I have never been harassed by opposing teams fans to the point where it's ruined a game experience for me. I've been to Eagles, Panthers, Steelers, Ravens and Redskins away games with full Broncos gear on, and no one has ever given me flack. Some people boo you and stuff, but if you give it back they stop. Maybe I'm just lucky, but most people I know have never been bothered either.

Thanks, Tzimisce
carnageehw

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the most basic of basic economics. If enough people aren't paying to go to the games, you need to lower ticket prices.

Stop making excuses and reasons why people don't want to go to games. Yes, the home experience is frigging awesome, but if you lowered ticket prices, more people would go.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RandyMossIsBoss wrote:
I don't know about you guys, but I certainly don't go to games solely for the view. If that was all I cared about then I'd always just watch games on TV because you'll be able to see the game much more clearer and at an ideal angle. I go to games for the atmosphere, being part of the crowd and just having fun. I don't think I'll ever be a season ticket guy, but I like where I'm currently at, where I go to about 2 games a year. I don't think HD will ever become too amazing to the point people don't go to games because like me, ton of people go for the whole experience, not just the actual game.
I agree with this. I would go to a lot more games if I could afford it. I love being there having that camaraderie with my fellow fans. It's great. I've been to Candlestick, BOA stadium, Fed EX field, and Sundevil stadium for games and I loved every experience. Going to games are really good times for me.

Thanks to IDOG_det on the sig!
2011 & 2012 NFC West Champs!!!
Xbox: Steadypimpin49
"Keep choppin' wood"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9

Jump to: