Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Goodell concerned HD TV getting too good
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Malik

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd rather just spend those extra hundreds that I would of had to have lying around and just purchase NFL Sunday ticket which will be hundreds cheaper than a decent seat at a game and will let me watch ALL games ALL season from the comfort of my own home. The NBA is the least favorite of the big 3 for me, but it's the only one I'd pay to see live again and again.
NextBigThing

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am the only one who cannot get enough of the atmosphere? All the pumped fans, being so close the players, the tail gate, it is awesome
A sunny disposition is worth more than fortune. Young people should know that it can be cultivated; that the mind like the body can be moved from the shade into sunshine. Thine own reproach alone do fear
tylerdouglass

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NextBigThing wrote:
Am the only one who cannot get enough of the atmosphere? All the pumped fans, being so close the players, the tail gate, it is awesome

If they were like cheaper MLB prices, I'd probably go to every Seahawks game. I love the atmosphere.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going to games aren't worth it for me. You have to deal with weather conditions (often too cold as the year progresses), annoying drunk fans, overpriced food and drinks, bad vantage point of the game, long lines for food/washrooms, traffic to and from the stadium, etc.

At home, i can adjust the temperature to be as warm or cool as i want, i can sit on a nice couch, have all my snacks at home and ready whenever, bathroom breaks are shorter and timed with commercials, get all the tv angles, and i can flip channels/go on the internet. Plus i have Sunday Ticket so i can watch any other game i want to, and Sunday Ticket is really cheap for me (only $100).

I wouldn't mind going to 1 game just to experience it, but on a regular basis...unless i actually got to stand near the sidelines (some VIP's get to) i wouldn't even bother going to the game. The home experience is much more comfortable than the stadium experience.
-Not taking this off until the 49ers win #6
broncos67

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, if you've never been to a game, you really are in no position to comment on what an NFL game is like...

I love going to games, but they're expensive. The food/drink thing honestly is a non issue to me, because you can easily eat better food for cheaper outside the stadium. Traffic sucks afterwards, I'll give you that, but I've never really had a negative experience with an away fan, and I've only ever gone to one Broncos game at home.

The experience of being at the game is well worth it, especially for a home game.

Thanks, Tzimisce
MaclinandMCcoy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't really comment on the NFL games but I really enjoy going to college football games. Experience is definitely worth it....I really hope I can end up being a Cocks season ticket holder in the future.
NextBigThing

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obviously depends on the team too. back when you could go to Gillette and see Moss just explode like a rocket up field Shocked Very Happy
A sunny disposition is worth more than fortune. Young people should know that it can be cultivated; that the mind like the body can be moved from the shade into sunshine. Thine own reproach alone do fear
49ersfan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

broncos67 wrote:
Honestly, if you've never been to a game, you really are in no position to comment on what an NFL game is like...

I love going to games, but they're expensive. The food/drink thing honestly is a non issue to me, because you can easily eat better food for cheaper outside the stadium. Traffic sucks afterwards, I'll give you that, but I've never really had a negative experience with an away fan, and I've only ever gone to one Broncos game at home.

The experience of being at the game is well worth it, especially for a home game.

Well for one, i live in Toronto, so the only teams games i can go to regularly are the Bills...or the CFL...i'll pass Laughing

Just curious then, what did i say that was inaccurate about the NFL stadium experience? I've been to baseball and basketball games and that's been my experiences there (long lines, traffic, and annoying fans, all it takes is 1 or 2 out of thousands).

Plus i'm a football junkie on Sunday's. If i'm free, I love dedicating the entire day to watching games. 1 pm, 4 pm, and SNF. I love watching all the games on Sunday Ticket and following the storylines of the day.

Experience isn't a big deal with me, i'm usually too zoned in to the game. Even when my friends are over and i'm watching a SF game i barely talk. Emotions run extremely high on gameday.
-Not taking this off until the 49ers win #6

Last edited by 49ersfan on Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:28 am; edited 2 times in total
incognito_man

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see a contradiction here...

People are complaining ticket prices are too high, citing tickets in the hundres of dollars range. Well, that's not face value so CLEARLY the teams aren't charging enough for tickets.

Demand>Supply and as long as people complain that (aftermarket) ticket prices are too high means there's no fear of empty stadiums for those clubs.
FirstDownFaulk

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a non issue because there are always going to be people that prefer the atmosphere and experience of the live event. I think that for most Americans it's either one of these issues or a combination of them...

1. Money - It has become too expensive for the average American family to attend football games. When you add up the cost of gas, ticket prices, concessions, etc.....you're looking at a family of 3 dropping anywhere from $300-$500 for something they can enjoy in the comfort of their own home. Again....the experience may outweigh the cost for some.

2. Time - I was a Patriots' a season ticket holder (until I moved to NY seven years ago) since '83 and grew up/lived 30 minutes from the stadium. I would usually be there tail-gating by 10-11 most mornings for a 1pm game. The issue was getting home. I'd find myself waiting in jampacked parking lots for 2-2.5 hours most Sundays. Again....the experience may outweigh this inconvenience for some.

3. Weather - I know many people that would prefer to sit in the warmth of their living room to fighting off hypothermia in 10 degree wind chills. Again....the experience may outweigh this discomfort for some.

4. Crowds/People - Some people would just prefer to walk to their fridge and get a drink instead of waiting in line for 45 minutes to spend $9.00 on a watered down 12oz beer. Also, with the recent spotlight on obnoxious/violent fans, some don't feel it's worth the risk going to games. Personally, I've never had an issue with obnoxious fans but they've been around me and all it takes is a simple response to stir something up. As I said, I haven't been a part of the nonsense, but I've witnessed it COUNTLESS times.

This just seems like an attempt for Goodell to divert from the real issue of why he's concerned.

Last edited by FirstDownFaulk on Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:27 am; edited 1 time in total
PantherDE90

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been to a game and I was not a big fan of it. I live by Cleveland and am a Panther so I went the last time the two played each other. There were barely any Panther fans there. I was rockin Panther attire and ended up being berated by Browns fans throughout the game without even saying anything. At the end of the game Cleveland fans were throwing s*** at Panther fans (including me). I hate Browns fans.

Even if I lived by BoA stadium I wouldn't go anyway. Way cheaper to go to a sports bar or sit at home and watch it on a 56' TV in HD. Eat and drink whatever I want and not overpay for it or wait 30 min to go to the bathroom.

"There are many things given to us in this life for the wrong reasons. What we do with such blessings, that is the true test of a man." - Gannicus
RandyMossIsBoss

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about you guys, but I certainly don't go to games solely for the view. If that was all I cared about then I'd always just watch games on TV because you'll be able to see the game much more clearer and at an ideal angle. I go to games for the atmosphere, being part of the crowd and just having fun. I don't think I'll ever be a season ticket guy, but I like where I'm currently at, where I go to about 2 games a year. I don't think HD will ever become too amazing to the point people don't go to games because like me, ton of people go for the whole experience, not just the actual game.

~Bird Watch 2014 | Nick Foles~
1,628 yards, 10 TDs, 7 INTs, 82.0 Passer Rating
1BackInBlackFan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has more to do with ticket prices and if your team is good or bad that will determine if fans show up at the games than the quality of HD TV. To say that HD TV will cause a decline in attendance because it keep improving is just another absurd comment from Goodell. Won't be the last I'm sure from him.

Many thanks to UniversalAuthor for Big Ben's sig
spilltray

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to preface this by saying I'm a Packers fan. I won't pay scalper prices and if I try I can usually get a ticket to one game a year.

Even then, if it's not in the first half of the season or so, I'm sorry, I'm out. I was at one of the coldest games in Packers history when I was in HS. The 1997 NFCCG. It was 3 ambient air temperature and the wind chill ranged from -17 to -23. I'm not choosing to subject myself to that again unless I happened to be able to score tickets to another NFCCG, and that would be hard.

Then there is the cost. Even NOT paying scalper prices, face value only... $72 to $92. On top of that, there is going to be $20 for parking, $8 for a beer, $9 for a brat assume over the course of an entire game you are going to have 2 beers and a brat, and that's $45 on top of your $72 to $92. $117-137, for one person, at face value.

Ticket prices are too expensive by at least half for the average fan. On top of that, they milk the captive audience and charge ridiculous prices for concessions. Now there is a smoking ban in WI, on top of that and I'm a smoker. They used to have smoking areas in the concourse but those are considered "inside" the building and gone now. By NFL rules you can't leave the stadium and reenter so that means from the time I enter until the time I leave, I can't smoke. Now by itself that's fine, but having as much as a couple of beers and a brat is already a stretch, I'd have to pay out the rear to get in the door, and then while Lambeau IS a great venue to see a game overall, those metal benches suck.

When you add it all together, it just doesn't make much sense to go to a game for me. If I stay home or go to a bar I don't have to wait in line for the bathroom, I can actually eat and drink, I can have a smoke, I can sit in a decently comfy chair (or stool, still better than bleachers) and I don't have to spend in the ballpark of $100 just to be there. There are other things I'd like to spend money on.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Jetsman82

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing yea. While it may be true that HDTV is getting better and better, the NFL's biggest problem is the pricing. My season tickets are $125 a pop, and with a family of four, that's $500 in just ticket prices alone. That's not even including the $50 for parking. If you want to get food or drinks at the game it's probably another $50 for four. I don't even get food and drinks at the game anymore. We just eat and drink as much as we can before the game.

You can get a really good HDTV for the price of going to two games. It's kind of crazy.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9

Jump to: