Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Should I return it??
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 30, 31, 32

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> This aint sports talk!
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should I return the sound bar?
Yes
44%
 44%  [ 38 ]
No
55%
 55%  [ 48 ]
Total Votes : 86

Mesa_Titan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iggles wrote:
Mesa_Titan wrote:
Iggles wrote:
Mesa_Titan wrote:
iPwn wrote:
Mesa_Titan wrote:
I don't disagree with the phrase. I disagree with the interpretation that it has to be something immaterial like love, friendship, or the stars. (Which really isn't immaterial at all)
It isn't an interpretation, but the explicit intent. You can't change a phrase to mean something else when it never meant that and expect others to just accept it because the words work when you neglect the intent of the phrase.

Fine. Interpretation, intent, it's wrong. It can intend to portray that things like love, friendship, and the stars are as immaterial as they want. They're not.

In the context of the song, why is love compared to the sky if the two are wildly different material goods?

The point is that, compared to material goods that require a direct purchase, such things as love or natural beauty are freely accessible at a given moment.

But if you're given something material, it still falls under, "The best things in life are free"

I understand the meaning behind the saying, love is free to anyone, and while a material item might not be free to EVERYONE, it can be free to SOMEONE.

Which is why it is fine to be used in that context.

What value does that statement hold, then? "The best things in life are free" seems to suggest that there are things in life that are of lower value and things of greater value.

You're just saying that it's good to get things for free. Any things. WHy are the BEST things in life free?

The best is up for judgment from person to person.

I never specified an item. I was speaking in general...

mission27 wrote:
Mesa_Titan is God.

#JDI
green24

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iggles wrote:
What value does that statement hold, then? "The best things in life are free" seems to suggest that there are things in life that are of lower value and things of greater value.

You're just saying that it's good to get things for free. Any things. WHy are the BEST things in life free?

Because FF doesn't have a membership fee.

aceinthehouse wrote:
I'm so confident in the Skins this season (offensively), I think they challenge the Patriots scoring record.
Call it a hunch. Idea
I Am Rodgers

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iggles wrote:

Because people love getting something for nothing. What tastes better? A slice of pizza or a free slice of pizza? A free slice of pizza. No contest.

stallyns wrote:
Good thing for talky-talk Harbaugh he has an outstanding citizen/player like Aldon Smith on his team and not a classless hooligan like Clay Matthews.
Iggles

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I Am Rodgers wrote:
Iggles wrote:

Because people love getting something for nothing. What tastes better? A slice of pizza or a free slice of pizza? A free slice of pizza. No contest.

But the phrase implies categories of things. The way that "free" is used in your context is not categorical, it's merely descriptive.

It's moot, though. The phrase's meaning is well known. One can enjoy that something that normally costs money is free without altering that.
DannyB

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. It's amazing the lengths some people will go to just to avoid saying "Okay, I was kinda wrong on that one, it happens."

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> This aint sports talk! All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 30, 31, 32
Page 32 of 32

Jump to: