Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Should I return it??
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 29, 30, 31, 32  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> This aint sports talk!
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should I return the sound bar?
Yes
44%
 44%  [ 38 ]
No
55%
 55%  [ 48 ]
Total Votes : 86

Mesa_Titan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iPwn wrote:
Mesa_Titan wrote:
No, you're wrong. Just because those few things the song mentions aren't material, it doesn't mean you can't interpret it that way. Saying there is only one interpretation and all others are wrong just makes you look close minded. Refer to the bold.

Quote:
The meaning of proverb: The really worthwhile things that add most to the quality of life can be enjoyed without spending any money

Did I spend any money? No. Did it make me happy? Yes. It was free, it made me happy. Best things in life are free. Pretty simple.

http://alivewire.wordpress.com/2007/07/06/english-proverb-the-best-things-in-life-are-free/
I cite random blogs as a legitimate source too.

It doesn't make me look close minded. It makes me intelligent enough to realize the sole purpose of the song, which birthed the phrase, was to point out that the little things in life are what makes life enjoyable.

The sole purpose of a bat is to hit a baseball with it.

Doesn't mean you can't use it to break someone's face, either.

To some (if not most) getting a material item for free would be a little thing in life that makes it enjoyable. I never said your version wasn't the original interpretation. It's not wrong. Mine isn't either.

Hell, Christmas is a perfect example...

Say someone just came up and handed you something you really wanted. Doesn't matter what it is, the only thing that matters is that it was free. Would the proverb not apply?

mission27 wrote:
Mesa_Titan is God.

#JDI
iPwn

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mesa_Titan wrote:

Not even close to relevant. You're hitting someone in the face with the bat and then claiming that's what the bat was made for.

Quote:
Say someone just came up and handed you something you really wanted. Doesn't matter what it is, the only thing that matters is that it was free. Would the proverb not apply?
No, because that's not the purpose of the quote. Just because the words can be twisted to seem like it means the same thing doesn't mean that is what the purpose of the phrase is. It solely apples to how we should enjoy the little non-material things in life. Just because some material thing is free and you like it doesn't mean you can act like that fits under the premise of the phrase that's concept was to explicitly exclude material things from the premise.

"Treat others like you want to be treated" is the golden rule. Everyone knows this means that you should treat people with kindness because that's how you would like to be treated. This doesn't mean a self-harming masochist should go around stabbing and cutting people even though that's how they want be to treated.

- Best since day one -
The road to success is always under construction - Gus Bradley
shuebakka

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mesa_Titan wrote:
iPwn wrote:
Mesa_Titan wrote:
No, you're wrong. Just because those few things the song mentions aren't material, it doesn't mean you can't interpret it that way. Saying there is only one interpretation and all others are wrong just makes you look close minded. Refer to the bold.

Quote:
The meaning of proverb: The really worthwhile things that add most to the quality of life can be enjoyed without spending any money

Did I spend any money? No. Did it make me happy? Yes. It was free, it made me happy. Best things in life are free. Pretty simple.

http://alivewire.wordpress.com/2007/07/06/english-proverb-the-best-things-in-life-are-free/

It doesn't make me look close minded. It makes me intelligent enough to realize the sole purpose of the song, which birthed the phrase, was to point out that the little things in life are what makes life enjoyable.

To some (if not most) getting a material item for free would be a little thing in life that makes it enjoyable. I never said your version wasn't the original interpretation. It's not wrong. Mine isn't either.

In my opinion, it wouldn't apply. Just because the gift had no cost to you, does not make it free. Somebody had to pay for it, and those are the types of things the proverb is saying don't matter as much. Trace true love back to the beginning of time it was never purchased, like your free gift was.

In regards to the sound bar, lets not forget who pay when this type of thing occurs. When companies see a loss, whether it's from a mistake or theft, they raise prices to cover it. A percentage of the cost of virtually everything you buy from a bigger company like Best Buy pays for the items that disappear from theft. This situation would fall under the same category and honest consumers end up paying for it in the long run if this type of stuff continues.
Mesa_Titan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iPwn wrote:
Mesa_Titan wrote:

Not even close to relevant. You're hitting someone in the face with the bat and then claiming that's what the bat was made for.

Quote:
No, because that's not the purpose of the quote. Just because the words can be twisted to seem like it means the same thing doesn't mean that is what the purpose of the phrase is. It solely apples to how we should enjoy the little non-material things in life. Just because some material thing is free and you like it doesn't mean you can act like that fits under the premise of the phrase that's concept was to explicitly exclude material things from the premise.

Where are words twisted?

"The best things in life are free"

If it's free, it falls under this category. Just because someone interprets it a certain way doesn't make it the end all be all interpretation.

mission27 wrote:
Mesa_Titan is God.

#JDI
iPwn

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mesa_Titan wrote:
Where are words twisted?

If it's free, it falls under this category. Just because someone interprets it a certain way doesn't make it the end all be all interpretation.

The song (again, the source) was written to apply to non-material things and non-material things only. You're applying the words to material things in a fashion that was not the intent. Ergo, you're twisting the meaning.

"Treat others like you want to be treated" is the golden rule. Everyone knows this means that you should treat people with kindness because that's how you would like to be treated. This doesn't mean a self-harming masochist should go around stabbing and cutting people even though that's how they want be to treated.

- Best since day one -
Mesa_Titan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shuebakka wrote:
Mesa_Titan wrote:
iPwn wrote:
Mesa_Titan wrote:

Quote:

In my opinion, it wouldn't apply. Just because the gift had no cost to you, does not make it free. Somebody had to pay for it, and those are the types of things the proverb is saying don't matter as much. Trace true love back to the beginning of time it was never purchased, like your free gift was.

How so? I mean, I can easily argue that love is most definitely NOT free.

The friendship I have with my best friend is NOT free. The things we went through to make us friends is what we had to pay to become such good friends, same as love. Even more with love, I'd argue.

I'd also argue that randomly getting a free gift or more free than friendship and love.

mission27 wrote:
Mesa_Titan is God.

#JDI
Mesa_Titan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iPwn wrote:
Mesa_Titan wrote:
Where are words twisted?

The song (again, the source) was written to apply to non-material things and non-material things only. You're applying the words to material things in a fashion that was not the intent. Ergo, you're twisting the meaning.

OBVIOUSLY it doesn't mean that. Doesn't mean one couldn't interpret it that way. The basic concept would still be true.

mission27 wrote:
Mesa_Titan is God.

#JDI
iPwn

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mesa_Titan wrote:
iPwn wrote:
Mesa_Titan wrote:
Where are words twisted?

OBVIOUSLY it doesn't mean that. Doesn't mean one couldn't interpret it that way. The basic concept would still be true.
No it wouldn't. Because the basic concept is the intent with which the words was written. Applying them in a fashion that clearly isn't the intent does not make it a valid interpretation.

- Best since day one -
Mesa_Titan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iPwn wrote:
Mesa_Titan wrote:
iPwn wrote:
Mesa_Titan wrote:
Where are words twisted?

No it wouldn't. Because the basic concept is the intent with which the words was written. Applying them in a fashion that clearly isn't the intent does not make it a valid interpretation.

Welp, I disagree.

The words aren't being changed, just the interpretation is.

mission27 wrote:
Mesa_Titan is God.

#JDI
shuebakka

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mesa_Titan wrote:

The friendship I have with my best friend is NOT free. The things we went through to make us friends is what we had to pay to become such good friends, same as love. Even more with love, I'd argue.

I'd also argue that randomly getting a free gift or more free than friendship and love.

In the monetary sense, building those relationships was not dependent on the exchange of money. I cannot go out and buy the same relationship with some random person, and likewise you two can walk the streets poor as dirt with nothing to do and continue to build your relationship.

Mesa_Titan wrote:

Welp, I disagree.

In that case, I take this to mean "iPwn is correct and I smell like moldy bananas." Razz

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shuebakka wrote:
Mesa_Titan wrote:

In the monetary sense, building those relationships was not dependent on the exchange of money. I cannot go out and buy the same relationship with some random person, and likewise you two can walk the streets poor as dirt with nothing to do and continue to build your relationship.

Mesa_Titan wrote:

Welp, I disagree.

In that case, I take this to mean "iPwn is correct and I smell like moldy bananas." Razz

But you still have to give to get love back. It may not cost money, but it costs something.

As for the second part, that's not it at all. He's not changing my mind and I'm not changing his. We're basically treading over the same path over and over again. Pointless.

mission27 wrote:
Mesa_Titan is God.

#JDI
Iggles

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mesa_Titan wrote:
iPwn wrote:
Mesa_Titan wrote:
iPwn wrote:
Mesa_Titan wrote:
Where are words twisted?

Welp, I disagree.

But the point of the phrase is that it's a cultural touchstone, and the general agreement surrounding the meaning of the phrase and its usage is that it applies to immaterial goods. It's not really subject to interpretation. That your use in this context provoked such a reaction is a key indicator that you're misusing the phrase.
shuebakka

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mesa_Titan wrote:

As for the second part, that's not it at all. He's not changing my mind and I'm not changing his. We're basically treading over the same path over and over again. Pointless.

I get that, my point was just that anybody can make any interpretation for anything, but that doesn't make it valid. Obviously, if anyone smells like bananas around here it's probably me.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iggles wrote:
Mesa_Titan wrote:
iPwn wrote:
Mesa_Titan wrote:
iPwn wrote:
Mesa_Titan wrote:
Where are words twisted?

Welp, I disagree.

But the point of the phrase is that it's a cultural touchstone, and the general agreement surrounding the meaning of the phrase and its usage is that it applies to immaterial goods. It's not really subject to interpretation. That your use in this context provoked such a reaction is a key indicator that you're misusing the phrase.

I don't agree. Just because there is a "general agreement" to an interpretation does not mean it can't be interpreted another way. Especially when the basic concept of the thing being free holds true. Material or immaterial, it makes no difference. Free is free, is it not?

The original interpretation is bogus anyways, you can't have love without something to love, something MATERIAL. You can't friendship without someone to share friendship with, MATERIAL. You can't look up at the beautiful stars without the stars being there, MATERIAL.

mission27 wrote:
Mesa_Titan is God.

#JDI
iPwn

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mesa_Titan wrote:
I don't agree. Just because there is a "general agreement" to an interpretation does not mean it can't be interpreted another way. Especially when the basic concept of the thing being free holds true. Material or immaterial, it makes no difference. Free is free, is it not?
No, it's not. Because it goes beyond the notion of free. It's a purposeful exclusion of material goods for the point of the quote.

Quote:
The original interpretation is bogus anyways, you can't have love without something to love, something MATERIAL. You can't friendship without someone to share friendship with, MATERIAL. You can't look up at the beautiful stars without the stars being there, MATERIAL.
You cannot be serious. Do we really have to go over what a material possession is now?

- Best since day one -

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> This aint sports talk! All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 29, 30, 31, 32  Next
Page 30 of 32

Jump to: