Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

NFL.com: Top Backup QB's
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
49ersfan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:25 pm    Post subject: NFL.com: Top Backup QB's Reply with quote

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000094858/article/backup-quarterbacks-who-has-best-contingency-plan-worst

Quote:
» I reached out to three highly respected personnel executives and asked them to give each of the 14 backup quarterbacks on winning teams a letter grade of A, B or C.

» Each A grade = 3 points

» Each B grade = 2 points

» Each C grade = 1 points

» After totaling the points, I separated the quarterbacks into five different tiers.

Only one player received straight A's.

3 "highly respected" anonymous personnel executives ranked the 14 backup QB's on winning teams. There are several tiers in the article.

You can check the article for the entire breakdown and analysis, but here's his tiers...

Tier 1- TJ Yates

Tier 2- Jason Campbell, Matt Flynn, Ryan Mallett

Tier 3- David Carr, Joe Webb

Tier 4- Colin Kaepernick, Byron Leftwich, Drew Stanton, Brock Osweiler

Tier 5- Graham Harrell, Luke McCown, Dan Orlovsky, Tyrod Taylor

Thoughts on the QB ranking? Would your own backup QB ranking differ?
-Not taking this off until the 49ers win #6
EliteTexan80

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: NFL.com: Top Backup QB's Reply with quote

49ersfan wrote:
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000094858/article/backup-quarterbacks-who-has-best-contingency-plan-worst

Quote:
» I reached out to three highly respected personnel executives and asked them to give each of the 14 backup quarterbacks on winning teams a letter grade of A, B or C.

» After totaling the points, I separated the quarterbacks into five different tiers.

3 "highly respected" anonymous personnel executives ranked the 14 backup QB's on winning teams. There are several tiers in the article.

You can check the article for the entire breakdown and analysis, but here's his tiers...

Tier 1- TJ Yates

I'm smiling, but I think Yates is getting a LOT of this love due to his heroics last season for the Texans in his run. Guy is good, a solid fit for our system...but there are a few lower tiered guys I would take, guys with higher upside.

But for now, I'll take Tier 1. Very Happy

iPwn, Kempes and Flaccomania: The official sig makers for THE ET80!
Its A Sabotage

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chad Henne >>>> Gabbert doe.

#JDI
49ersfan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: NFL.com: Top Backup QB's Reply with quote

EliteTexan80 wrote:
I'm smiling, but I think Yates is getting a LOT of this love due to his heroics last season for the Texans in his run. Guy is good, a solid fit for our system...but there are a few lower tiered guys I would take, guys with higher upside.

I think i would take Matt Flynn and maybe Joe Webb over him. Jason Campbell is solid too. But Yates has a lot of experience and he did win a playoff game...something not a lot of backup QB's can say.

Still think Shaun Hill is the best backup in the NFL, but he's not on a winning team so he wasn't ranked in this list. Tarvaris Jackson is a solid backup too, not many backups have as many starts as he's had. David Carr only does well with the Giants because he was terrible everywhere else. He's a specific fit for the Giants system and maybe the Bucs under Mike Sullivan (who coached for the NYG).
-Not taking this off until the 49ers win #6
MNPackfan32

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Kaepernick is underrated, I think Flynn should be tier 1, What the hell has Brock Osweiler done to be ahead of anybody? I would take Orlovsky over Osweiler right now. Joe Webb should be where Orlovsky is.

Duff Man wrote:
MNPackfan32 wrote:
Josh Sitton, Mike Daniels

Average at best
Pack4life7

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MNPackfan32 wrote:
I think Kaepernick is underrated, I think Flynn should be tier 1, What the hell has Brock Osweiler done to be ahead of anybody? I would take Orlovsky over Osweiler right now. Joe Webb should be where Orlovsky is.

He was John Elways draft pick and his current project for when Manning retires.
John Elway was a great QB
John Elway can draft great QBs
=>

Osweiler is a sure thing.

What a joke.

Waldo wrote:

Enter Waldo

Same Old Jay
Vikefan79

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MNPackfan32 wrote:

Why? Joe Webb can actually win games. I can't remember the last time Orlovsky won a game.
Its A Sabotage

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So...all the best backups are on the leagues best teams?

#JDI
milanb

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MNPackfan32 wrote:

I watched Colin Kaepernick play against the Rams on Sunday. He looked worse than Webb did as a rookie, and much worse than Webb did a year ago (his second season).

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong. — Ecclesiastes 9:11

But that’s the way to bet. — Jimmy The Greek
Ataal

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's really hard to rank Colin Kaepernick at this point. Not a very big sample size. Guy has a cannon for an arm, has wheels for days, but has a fumble problem. So, at this point, I would be fine whether someone put him in Tier 1 or Tier 5. Not enough to go on.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The steelers are in trouble Mad

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: NFL.com: Top Backup QB's Reply with quote

49ersfan wrote:
EliteTexan80 wrote:

I think i would take Matt Flynn and maybe Joe Webb over him. Jason Campbell is solid too. But Yates has a lot of experience and he did win a playoff game...something not a lot of backup QB's can say.

I think the execs in question put a premium on that, but I also think they put a big premium on the composure and maturity TJ Yates displayed when he was forced into the lineup.

Think about it - rookie, 5th round rookie, 3rd string QB who was expected to carry a clipboard while Matt Schaub and Matt Leinart did the heavy lifting...and bang/bang, he's now a starter for a 7-3 team, a team that had insurmountable pressure to make the playoffs for the first time in team history. Most - if not ALL - rookies with his pedigree would of just wilted under this pressure.

What does TJ do? Well, according to coaches and teammates, he "took ownership of the job and ownership of the team" in that six weeks. He made it a point to work non-stop with the former QBs and Greg Knapp (a HUGE reason for his performance) to constantly stay ahead of what defenses were trying to do to him. He would call WRs together after practice and hold skeleton drills with them - running 40-50 plays, just to get timing down with each of his WRs. He'd be the first one in team meetings, last one out of the facility, sitting at the front of the classroom in meetings, and constantly giving everyone feedback on what he was seeing, and what he could do to make everything work better.

For a 5th round rookie who is brand new to the NFL world, that sort of dedication and prep shows a level of maturity, composure and willingness to do what it took to be the man for this team - even if that time was short lived as the starting QB of an NFL team.

iPwn, Kempes and Flaccomania: The official sig makers for THE ET80!
green24

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: NFL.com: Top Backup QB's Reply with quote

EliteTexan80 wrote:
49ersfan wrote:

Quote:

Tier 1- TJ Yates

I like Yates. He's my starting QB in Madden. Very Happy

#TeamManfred
DavidatMIZZOU

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would create a tier 6, just for Graham Harrell. Maybe if Brian Brohm is still slinking around somewhere he can join. Harrell is really, really bad.

mistakebytehlak wrote:

My god it must be so terrible to have three teams that consistently make the playoffs
Tom Shean

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vikefan79 wrote:
MNPackfan32 wrote:

Why? Joe Webb can actually win games. I can't remember the last time Orlovsky won a game.

Orlovsky went 2-3 on a 0-11 team last year.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: