Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The Gnat's Mock Off-Season (V1)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Gnat

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:40 am    Post subject: The Gnat's Mock Off-Season (V1) Reply with quote

Here's a fairly quick mock off-season:

The First Big Question
Do the Vikings keep Adrian Peterson?

Nope, the Vikings are going to release him, they try and keep him, but they can't agree on money, so they let him walk.

The Second Big Question
Who do the Vikings do with the offensive line?

We've already seen them cut both Fusco and Harris. Kalil is a free agent, but I do think that we'll see them resign Kalil as well as another offensive linemen. They go ahead and sign Ricky Wagner, coming off of his rookie deal and while he isn't going to be cheap, it would solidify a position for them for a while, which is what Spielman will want to do.

Released or Not Resigned
Adrian Peterson
Brandon Fusco
Mike Harris
Sharrif Floyd
Jarius Wright

Resigned
Matt Kalil
Captain Munnerlyn
Matt Asiata
Audie Cole
Jeff Locke
Zach Line

Needs going into free agency
Starting RB or RB depth
Right Guard
Right Tackle
Defensive Tackle
Outside Linebacker
Starting Safety

Free Agency
Ricky Wagner - 4 years, 24 million
This fills the big need at RT and allows the Vikings to lock someone up for a while.

Bennie Logan - 3 years, 8 million
Targeting defensive tackle depth, Bennie Logan has been good.

Hugh Thorton - 2 years 2 million
He comes in as cheap depth with starting experience. Not 100% sure on the numbers since he has starting experience, but granted that was with the Colts. He's young, so he makes sense as a Spielman sort of signing.

Needs going into the Draft
Starting RB or RB depth
Right Guard
Tackle Depth
Defensive Tackle Depth
Outside Linebacker
Starting Safety
Kicker Competition

The Draft

2nd Round: Dan Feeney, OG, Indiana
We got a depth signing at OG, but Feeney gives us a player to step in and start at RT immediately.

3rd Round A: Pat Eflien, C, Ohio State
Staying in the Big 10 and along the offensive line, the Vikings draft a center. I think that Berger would start most of the year and either Elfien or Feeney would be RG, but Eflien would be the long term answer at C.

3rd Round B: Wayne Gallman, RB, Clemson
Seems a little bit early for him, but I've liked him as a running back, and I think that he runs really well and smartly.

4th Round A: Montravius Adams, DT, Auburn
A prospect that I've liked for a while, but that might be because I generally like Auburn. He would really be able to replace Floyd's production from previous years quite quickly and has a potential to be a steal.

4th Round B: Trade
I think that this is the first pick that Spielman moves. He gets a 2018 4th round pick and 6th round pick as well as picking up an extra 5th round pick in this years draft.

5th Round A: Jalen Reeves-Maybin, OLB, Tennessee
Some people have him as a OLB/S tweener, and I think that is what the Vikings will look for. With his ability to cover and decent ability against the run, he should at least be a good special teams player if not able to develop into a starting LB option.

5th Round B: Zach Banner, OT, USC
With a poor showing at the Senior Bowl and concerns about weight issues, Banner is a player who should go higher but the Vikings snag him in the 5th round. It allows them a solid OT prospect to develop and gives them a little bit of extra depth, but he should just be depth for a few years.

6th Round: Trade
Another Spielman trade, after getting a couple of players he wanted in round 5, he simply trades away the 6th round pick for a 5th round pick in 2018.

7th Round: Ryan Switzer, WR, North Carolina
This pick is looking at adding a productive college WR, but someone who doesn't have numbers, physically, that will blow you away. He would basically replace Jarius Wright's spot on the depth chart.

UDFA
Adam Griffith, K, Alabama - Competition for Forbath, I could see him potentially beating out Forbath.

Nate Andrews, S, Florida State - Coming off of injury, seems like someone that Spielman could take a flier on.

C.J. Beathard, QB, Iowa - QB depth for the preseason and someone who I think has a decent head on his shoulders, just isn't as accurate as one would want. Could see them trying to stash him on the practice squad for a while.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only 7 picks!? 8 last year I thought was crazy for our buddy Rick.

I really don't see Switzer lasting until the 7th but I love it.

Pretty much the same situation as Adams.

Jalen Reeves-Maybin is about the only pick I am against. Just can't get with his hype. I have him ranked as a 7th-UDFA.

“Once you’ve wrestled, everything else in life is easy.”
-Dan Gable
SemperFeist

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love the draft, and love the Wagner signing. But I think you're a little light on the Wagner contract. He's probably looking at the $7M per year range on the open market.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can Dan Feeney play RT? I know he is a top G prospect but I don't know anything else about him

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SemperFeist wrote:
Love the draft, and love the Wagner signing. But I think you're a little light on the Wagner contract. He's probably looking at the $7M per year range on the open market.

With the amount of teams needing OT help and the lack of talent in the draft I think Wagner is getting 7M a year worst case. I would not be surprised if he neared 10M a year. Supply and demand.
gopherwrestler

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heimdallr wrote:
Can Dan Feeney play RT? I know he is a top G prospect but I don't know anything else about him

personally I would rather keep Wagner at RT where he found success in the power run blocking scheme.

Feeney did play tackle in one game in 2016 against Rugters, and that was the end of that. Here is a quote out of the indystar.com newspaper from that game.

Quote:
Dan Feeney’s biggest mistake at right tackle this past weekend? Playing like a right guard.

He does have the size tho. 6'4" 304 lbs, 10 1/4 hands, 33 1/8 arms, 80 5/8" wingspan.

“Once you’ve wrestled, everything else in life is easy.”
-Dan Gable
NoDakViking

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty solid. I'd give it a B. Not really a fan of letting Floyd go just yet. Let him play out another year as an audition to us or someone else.

Also not a big fan of Gallman. Seems like Jag to me and probably profits off the talent around him. Also, Banner is said to have some attitude issues to go along with his weight problems. Switch out Gallman and Banner for someone like Hunt and Gennessy or Sharpe and I'd give it an A.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd assume Wagner would play RT and Feeney at RG. Wouldn't be a bad combo though I'm hesitant to pay Wagner top RT money when he hasn't been consistent year to year. Nevertheless, he's an upgrade over what we had last year and gives us a top 10-15 RT.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it. I don't know that Rick will trade that last 6th, and I don't love the Kalil resigning (hands may be tied though).

If they could get Wagner, Feeney, and Eflin to fill the line holes, that would be huge

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heimdallr wrote:

I will assume Gnat meant to write 'RG' not 'RT' as regards Feeney in his OP, until he says otherwise. He has Wagner as a FA acquired at a premium salary level, as his implied RT starter.
Purplexing

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
I'd assume Wagner would play RT and Feeney at RG. Wouldn't be a bad combo though I'm hesitant to pay Wagner top RT money when he hasn't been consistent year to year. Nevertheless, he's an upgrade over what we had last year and gives us a top 10-15 RT.

It's ok, Wilf will cover you; spend it to fix the OL! Laughing

I don't see where you could re-direct the salary cap space assumed to be spent on a starting RT like Wagner to improve the Vikings in FA.
TENINCH

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a big fan of Gallman. Good college player but I don't think he'd be a very good feature back unless he can put on a bunch of muscle.

Andrews was originally committed to the Gophers until FSU came in at the last minute. He's been a great role player for FSU and he'll be missed on the FSU defense. I think at worse he can carve out a great NFL career on special teams. Rest of the draft looks good as it addresses our needs. Like the idea of picking up Griffith out of Alabama to compete.

Switzer would be awesome in the 7th. Just one of those players that has a knack for getting open. Good depth pick.
CriminalMind

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kenrik wrote:
SemperFeist wrote:

With the amount of teams needing OT help and the lack of talent in the draft I think Wagner is getting 7M a year worst case. I would not be surprised if he neared 10M a year. Supply and demand.

I agree with these sentiment's.
I feel Wagner is coming out with $8-$10M per year

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have us cutting Jarius Wright and not resigning Cordarrelle Patterson, Adam Theilen, and Charles Johnson?! That would leave only Stefon Diggs and Laquon Treadwell under contract and drafting a late round WR.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: