Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The ADAP28MVP247 Thread (2014 Season)
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SodakViking

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 10:12 am    Post subject: The ADAP28MVP247 Thread (2014 Season) Reply with quote

Well, I guess it could only remain positive for so long... Laughing

Quote:
We’re not even 48 hours removed from the draft, and there’s a report about running back Adrian Peterson’s future with the Vikings.
Bleacher Report’s Mike Freeman (He’s a former reporter for the New York Times and Washington Post, among other places) said he kept hearing during the NFL Draft that the Vikings will want to get rid of Peterson “sooner rather than later.” (It's the fourth item in Freeman's draft notebook.)

It seems highly unlikely that the Vikings would get rid of Peterson at this point in the offseason especially with the uncertainly at quarterback. Peterson is someone that can ease the load off a quarterback and that can be very beneficial if rookie Teddy Bridgewater wins the starting position in training camp.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/blogs/258890271.html

Is there any merit to this story?

Last edited by SodakViking on Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:11 pm; edited 5 times in total
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The timing doesn't make sense since they let Gerhart walk and didn't draft an every down Rb.

Sooner might be in a year I suppose. Maybe Turner learned from his mistake in hanging onto a HOF Rb too long over the emerging youngster.
rpmwr19

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
said he kept hearing during the NFL Draft that the Vikings will want to get rid of Peterson “sooner rather than later.” (It's the fourth item in Freeman's draft notebook.)

Doesn't say it came from the team. Could just be from pundits who see the big salary and went from A directly to C.
disaacs

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's certainly possible that they might consider trading him...in a year. I don't think they will, however. Because no matter if and when you trade him, it's the Kevin Garnett factor...you'll never get in return what you'd get from him. I don't care if it's a 32-year old AD, you'd still get more from him.

Financially, some people might say it'd make sense. I believe that's certainly possible, but I also think that there's wiggle room to renegotiate later, if they choose to do so. Maybe you don't pay a RB $15M, but if there's any RB that's worth that in production and ticket sales, it's AD.

Thx to Uncle Buck!
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The chargers would have been far better off trading Tomlinson for a mid rd pick in 2007 and keeping Turner. The return isn't great but the team might be better off in the long run. Unfortunately mn let their Turner to to Jax.
disaacs

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
The chargers would have been far better off trading Tomlinson for a mid rd pick in 2007 and keeping Turner. The return isn't great but the team might be better off in the long run. Unfortunately mn let their Turner to to Jax.

I disagree. In the end, Turner didn't last much longer than LaDainian did. While I like Gerhart, he's not even to the Michael Turner level.

Thx to Uncle Buck!
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

disaacs wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:

I disagree. In the end, Turner didn't last much longer than LaDainian did. While I like Gerhart, he's not even to the Michael Turner level.

Tomlinson was useless after 2007. Turner emerged as a great Rb and was very good until around 2012. Basically, tuner would have given SD four more years of better Rb play and they wouldn't have had to make that desperation trade for Matthews.
gopherwrestler

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

its just one guy pushing it. i highly doubt it will happen. he will play out his contract. i could see them ending up trying to reconstruct his contract like @eric_j_thompson said on twitter this morning.

“Once you’ve wrestled, everything else in life is easy.”
ViKingHopeful

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpmwr19 wrote:
Quote:
said he kept hearing during the NFL Draft that the Vikings will want to get rid of Peterson “sooner rather than later.” (It's the fourth item in Freeman's draft notebook.)

Doesn't say it came from the team. Could just be from pundits who see the big salary and went from A directly to C.

That's what it sounds like.

Quote:
My person opinion,” said one AFC general manager, “is this (coming) season will be Peterson’s last with the Vikings. Despite the cap hit, they’ll make some sort of move to get him off the roster.”

http://blacksportsonline.com/home/2014/05/report-vikings-looking-to-part-ways-with-adrian-peterson/
Krauser

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They'll have no trouble with the cap over the next couple of years. Rudolph and Fusco are the only guys who need extensions this season, combined they'll cost less than Griffen to retain. The 2012 1st rounders will be under contract through 2016 at reasonable cost (Kalil's 5th year will be fairly pricy), and the 2013 group until 2017. Their recent FA contracts have been pay-as-you-go, no major escalation in cap numbers year by year.

No RB is worth $15M so they'll look to renegotiate Peterson's contract eventually. That's only worth doing when his production and usage starts to drop off, there's no rush. They should draft a true tailback next year as a backup / potential successor.

Peterson is the face of the franchise -- they'll be opening a new stadium in 2016 that literally has his face on it in the architectural renderings. Odds of him leading the team on the field on opening day 2016 are 99.5%.

His contract could be renegotiated after that year so he can finish his career in Minnesota at a friendlier cost to the cap.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gopherwrestler wrote:
its just one guy pushing it. i highly doubt it will happen. he will play out his contract. i could see them ending up trying to reconstruct his contract like @eric_j_thompson said on twitter this morning.

That's possible, I'd like to see him stick around. However, Peterson needs to shed these injury issues though.

30 year old rbs arent exactly ideal to be the most expensive player on your team. Just seems like speculation but it seems fairly reasonable to suggest that he may not be around much longer. Turner has always preferred skilled receiving backs, maybe Turner doesn't believe Peterson is his ideal fit.

Last edited by vikingsrule on Mon May 12, 2014 10:53 am; edited 1 time in total
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Krauser wrote:
Odds of him leading the team on the field on opening day 2016 are 99.5%.

you see it as that low?

Very Happy

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
disaacs

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
Tomlinson was useless after 2007. Turner emerged as a great Rb and was very good until around 2012. Basically, tuner would have given SD four more years of better Rb play and they wouldn't have had to make that desperation trade for Matthews.

I still find it difficult to compare any RB to AD, because we haven't seen any player physically comparable to him, LaDainian included. LaDainian was almost a "soft" player compared to him. LDT also had over 2300 carries by the time he reached 29. Adrian has over 300 less carries (which is almost a full year).

I don't see Adrian becoming fully useless for at minimum 3 years (likely at least a year or 2 beyond that even). If anything, I see him being the same as he has been...good for about 1300 yds on average with the possibility of hitting another 1700-2000 yd season at least 1 more time.

Thx to Uncle Buck!

Last edited by disaacs on Mon May 12, 2014 11:06 am; edited 1 time in total
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's just play along with this article. I wouldn't move him now unless I received a first, third and a starting Rb. What's your price?
VikeManDan

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
Let's just play along with this article. I wouldn't move him now unless I received a first, third and a starting Rb.

Good idea to "play along" that way. What team? Denver and Montee Ball?

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 1 of 10

Jump to: