Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

X(avier) marks the spot!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Klomp

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:00 pm    Post subject: X(avier) marks the spot! Reply with quote

Just last season, Minnesota Vikings coaches gave Xavier Rhodes boxing gloves to wear during drills in practice.

The idea was having Rhodes better learn how to effectively play cornerback without risking penalties for grabbing at the receiver.

Opponents aren't winning many rounds with Rhodes these days.

Rhodes picked off Carson Palmer twice, including a 100-yard touchdown return that was the longest in team history, and helped lead the Vikings to a 30-24 victory over Arizona on Sunday that stopped their four-game losing streak. The fourth-year player, drafted by the Vikings in the first round out of Florida State with the selection they received from Seattle in the trade for wide receiver Percy Harvin, is tied for fourth in the NFL with four interceptions.

"Those are huge splash plays that everybody notices, but he's tackling, doing everything right," free safety Harrison Smith said. "He's playing lights out."

http://www.foxsports.com/north/story/minnesota-vikings-xavier-rhodes-cornerback-112116

Last edited by Klomp on Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Klomp

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam Monson @PFF_Sam
Passer rating when targeting @Vikings CB Xavier Rhodes: 31.5. Best mark in NFL + 8 pts worse than just throwing into the dirt every play

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is why I don't expect Peterson to be back in Minnesota in 2017.

Too many good, young players that need to be locked up, and Peterson's huge cap number could be used to sign at least 2 of them.

I'm guess Rhodes will garner roughly 5 years, $50M

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SemperFeist wrote:

Too many good, young players that need to be locked up, and Peterson's huge cap number could be used to sign at least 2 of them.

Given what corners go for these days that seems like it might be a bargain

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it worked well on Rhodes, why not do it with Waynes? (If they haven't already...)
SemperFeist

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vikes_Bolts1228 wrote:
If it worked well on Rhodes, why not do it with Waynes? If they haven't already...)

I think they have. Waynes isn't nearly as handsy as he was last year, and I don't think he's been nearly as handsy as Rhodes was in his first couple of years. And let's not act like Rhodes doesn't grab a lot, still. He's simply gaining a reputation as a legit cornerback, so he's starting to get the benefit of the doubt. A la, the Richard Sherman effect.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dolmonite26 wrote:
SemperFeist wrote:

Given what corners go for these days that seems like it might be a bargain

This is the first year where Rhodes has really looked like a threat to force turnovers, he doesn't have the history like Janoris Jenkins, Patrick Peterson, Richard Sherman, or Darrelle Revis, so he's not likely to see anything over $12M per year. Honestly, I would put Rhodes in that same range as Sean Smith, maybe a little more. Which would be in that $10M per year range.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SemperFeist wrote:
Vikes_Bolts1228 wrote:
If it worked well on Rhodes, why not do it with Waynes? If they haven't already...)

I think they have. Waynes isn't nearly as handsy as he was last year, and I don't think he's been nearly as handsy as Rhodes was in his first couple of years. And let's not act like Rhodes doesn't grab a lot, still. He's simply gaining a reputation as a legit cornerback, so he's starting to get the benefit of the doubt. A la, the Richard Sherman effect.

That makes sense. I guess younger CBs with a history of being grabby won't get the benefit of a doubt like a top level CB like Norman, Sherman, Rhodes, etc.

I think Waynes isn't too far off. He's never really out of position and I really can't recall him being outran but just needs to calm down on the grabbing a bit. I think this time next year he'll be a great compliment to Rhodes and start making a name for himself.
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:00 pm    Post subject: Re: X(avier) marks the spot! Reply with quote

Klomp wrote:
The fourth-year player, drafted by the Vikings in the first round out of Florida State with the selection they received from Seattle in the trade for wide receiver Percy Harvin...."

oof, Percy Harvin...

we got his best years, and then converted his roster spot in to Professor X.

what a deal.

Everson Griffen: We can be special. But its up to us.
Vikes_Bolts1228

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:12 pm    Post subject: Re: X(avier) marks the spot! Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:
Klomp wrote:
The fourth-year player, drafted by the Vikings in the first round out of Florida State with the selection they received from Seattle in the trade for wide receiver Percy Harvin...."

oof, Percy Harvin...

what a deal.

Percy annoys me. So much talent wasted.
byuvike88

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 2:56 am    Post subject: Re: X(avier) marks the spot! Reply with quote

Vikes_Bolts1228 wrote:
vike daddy wrote:
Klomp wrote:

oof, Percy Harvin...

what a deal.

The Migraines and hip injuries definitely didn't help. But man I will never forget how explosive and dominate he was during the first half of 2012. It's not often you hear about a slot receiver in the MVP race and I don't think there was any question before he went out that he was in that race.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Young Core extension eligible this offseason will include Xavier, along with Sharriff (Who could be cut to save the 5th Yr Option $), along with Anthony Barr, McKinnon, Shamar Stephen. A nice problem to have, especially with Kendricks, Hunter, Diggs waiting in 2015.

Xavier Rhodes will be 27 in 2017 and is slated to earn $8.026M on his 5th Yr Option. I'd bet any extension starts from Janoris Jenkins' contract signed this offseason- 5 Yrs 62.5M (12.5M AAV) & 28.8M Guaranteed.

Technically, Rhodes would be 28 when he hit the 2018 open market and the franchise tag looms. So while Rhodes is clearly the better player, the Vikings have 2 yrs of leverage that could keep him off the market until he's 29 (Decline phase beginning).

Do you give Xavier top CB money?
CriminalMind

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conquest8089 wrote:
Do you give Xavier top CB money?

Yes:

Waynes - not reliable
Newman - gone
Captain - gone/decline
Alexander - unknown

[not collecting Marcus Peters, looks like a hard miss]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: X(avier) marks the spot! Reply with quote

Vikes_Bolts1228 wrote:
vike daddy wrote:
Klomp wrote:

oof, Percy Harvin...

what a deal.

I have felt that way about a number of Vikings players over the years...including Bryant McKinnie, Sidney Rice, and yes...Randy Moss. Moss should have every receiving record in the book...but he didn't apply passion and hard work to his otherworldly talent.
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

X wins NFC Defensive Player of the Week Award.

Everson Griffen: We can be special. But its up to us.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: