Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Semper's Mock Offseason (v2)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SemperFeist

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:25 pm    Post subject: Semper's Mock Offseason (v2) Reply with quote

RETIREMENTS:
Chad Greenway
Terence Newman
Shaun Hill
Joe Berger (post OTA decision)

INITIAL CAP SPACE: $20,061,743
PLAYERS RELEASED:
Adrian Peterson ($18,000,000)
- Peterson’s decline in play last year, plus his growing list of injuries simply doesn’t make the future Hall of Fame running back worth anywhere close to his large cap number for 2017. With the Vikings looking for a new cap number around $5 million, and Peterson still looking to be paid like a top running back, the two sides are unable to come to an agreement on a restructure, and Peterson is released.

Brandon Fusco ($,3,200,000)
- A once promising young guard, the pectoral injury completely sapped Fusco of his strength, and he seemingly fell apart from a technique standpoint as well. After two terrible seasons, the Vikings choose to cut ties with Brandon Fusco and move in another direction.

Mike Harris (1,500,000)
- A mysterious illness caused Harris to miss all of the 2016 season, and it could likely cost him his career in the NFL. The Vikings choose not to wait any longer and move in another direction.

Jarius Wright ($2,600,000)
- A reliable slot receiver who just can’t seem to find his way onto the active game day roster, Wright’s future I believe will be tied to what the team decides to do with Cordarrelle Patterson. Since I have Patterson re-signing, Wright becomes expendable to free up some valuable cap space.

CAP SPACE: $45,361,743
PLAYER RESTRUCTURES:
Brian Robison - signs a 1 year, $3 million deal ($3 million AAV)
- Given the Chad Greenway treatment, Robison decides to take a pay cut in order to remain on the roster with only one year left on his contract. Robinson played well last year, but the emergence of Hunter, and Robison’s high cap number lead to the team asking him to take a paycut.

CAP SPACE: $49,161,743
EXTENSIONS:
Xavier Rhodes - signs a 5 year, $70 million deal ($14 milion AAV)
Adam Thielen - signs a 4 year, $16 million deal ($4 million AAV)

CAP ROOM: $39,187,743
FREE AGENTS LOST:
Matt Kalil
Captain Munnerlyn
Andre Smith
Matt Asiata
Audie Cole
Jake Long
Justin Trattou

FREE AGENTS SIGNED:
Rick Wagner - signs a 5 year, $36 million deal ($7.2 million AAV)
- Wagner is a young offensive tackle who excels in pass protection. He’ll be able to lock down the right side and protect Bradford, or Bridgewater, for the foreseeable future. A hefty price tag, Wagner commands top dollar on the open market, but the Vikings gladly pay the price after watching what a patchwork offensive line can do to a team.

Larry Warford - signs a 4 year, $26 million deal ($6.5 million AAV)
- A mauler at right guard, Warford will complete the overhaul of the right side of the Vikings offensive line. Warford dominated as a rookie under the power blocking scheme that was run under Scott Linehan, but since then he has had his ups and downs. Under Sparano’s power blocking scheme, the Vikings look to recapture what Warford showed as a rookie.

Cordarrelle Patterson - signs a 4 year, $19 million deal ($4.75 million AAV)
Rhett Ellison - signs a 3 year, $5.25 million deal ($1.75 million AAV)
Matt Barkley - signs a 2 year, $2 million deal ($1 million AAV)
- A backup quarterback to battle Heinicke for the #2 quarterback role, and to hold a place if/until Bridgewater returns. Barkley was drafted by the Eagles when Shurmur was the offensive coordinator, and was coached by Shurmur for two seasons.

Jeff Locke - signs a 3 year, $7 million deal ($2.33 million AAV)
Zach Line - signs a 2 year, $1.5 million deal ($750,000 AAV)
Charles Johnson - signs right of first refusal RFA tender for $1.68 million
Jeremiah Sirles- signs ERFA tender for $510,000
Zac Kerin - signs ERFA tender for $510,000

CAP SPACE: $12,207,743

NFL DRAFT:
Estimated Rookie Pool: $5,035,024

**TRADE** The Minnesota Vikings have traded their 2nd round pick (46th overall, 440), and the 3rd round pick from Miami (86th overall, 160) to the New England Patriots in exchange for their 1st round pick (32nd overall, 590).

With the 32nd overall pick in the 2017 NFL Draft, the Minnesota Vikings select: Ryan Ramczyk, OT, Wisconsin.
- Offensive line has been the focus of the Vikings this offseason, and the draft will be no different. With all of his time spent with Bradford, Shurmur knows that Bradford isn’t a quarterback who climbs the pocket very frequently, and he requires solid tackles on either side of him to keep him up right. The Vikings make the move to get that left tackle to give the Vikings bookend pass protectors. Ramczyk has been touted as a top LT prospect, but with only one year of FBS experience, less than ideal measureables, and a hip injury that will keep him from participating in any pre-draft workouts, I think that Ramczyk is a prime candidate to fall into the late 1st. Even if it’s not Ramczyk, I expect one of the top three tackles (Ramczyk, Boles, or Robinson) to be available.

With the 80th overall pick in the 2017 NFL Draft, the Minnesota Vikings select: Pat Elflein, C, Ohio State.
- The Vikings complete their offensive line overhaul, by adding a center. Elflein is one of those players who does everything right, and is a good pass protector and good run blocker. He’s got a lot of room to grow, but he should still be able to step in on day one and contribute. I would expect Elflein to battle for the starting spot from day one, even if he ends up backing up Berger in 2017, the Vikings know they’ll have their center for the future.

With the 119th overall pick in the 2017 NFL Draft, the Minnesota Vikings select: Fabian Moreau, CB, UCLA.
- An outside cornerback who excels I man coverage, Moreau shows tremendous footwork and technique. Moreau gives the Vikings much needed depth behind Rhodes and Waynes after the loss of Newman to retirement.

With the 127th overall pick in the 2017 NFL Draft, the Minnesota Vikings select: Jamaal Williams, RB, BYU.
- The Vikings need to find a running back to help replace Adrian Peterson. Jamaal Williams is a big bodied running back who shows excellent patience, and is very good at hitting the hole on one cut and getting downhill. Williams should see plenty of action early, not only as a runner, but in the passing game as well. A reliable receiver, but more importantly, Williams shows a willingness to do the dirty work in pass protection.

With the 161st overall pick in the 2017 NFL Draft, the Minnesota Vikings select: Daeshon Hall, DE, Texas A&M.

With the 199th overall pick in the 2017 NFL Draft, the Minnesota Vikings select: Jarron Jones, DT, Notre Dame.

With the 234th overall pick in the 2017 NFL Draft, the Minnesota Vikings select: Jonah Pirsig, OT, Minnesota.

CAP SPACE: $7,172,719
ROSTER:
QB: Sam Bradford, Matt Barkley, Taylor Heinicke
RB: Jamaal Williams, Jerick McKinnon, C.J. Ham
FB: Zach Line
WR: Stefon Diggs, Adam Thielen, LaQuon Treadwell, Cordarrelle Patterson, Charles Johnson, Moritz Boehringer
TE: Kyle Rudolph, Rhett Ellison, David Morgan
OT: Ryan Ramczyk, Rick Wagner, Jeremiah Sirles, T.J. Clemmings
OG: Alex Boone, Larry Warford, Zac Kerin
C: Pat Elflein, Nick Easton
DE: Everson Griffen, Danielle Hunter, Brian Robison, Daeshon Hall, Stephen Weatherly
DT: Linval Joseph, Sharif Floyd, Tom Johnson, Jarron Jones, Austin Johnson
LB: Anthony Barr, Eric Kendricks, Emmanuel Lamur, Kentrel Brothers, Edmond Robinson
CB: Xavier Rhodes, Trae Waynes, Mackensie Alexander, Fabian Moreau, Jabari Price, Marcus Sherels
S: Harrison Smith, Andrew Sendejo, Anthny Harris, Jayron Kearse
ST: Kai Forbath, Jeff Locke, Kevin McDermott

Last edited by SemperFeist on Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:49 am; edited 5 times in total
gopherwrestler

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only complaint is Jarron Jones. Not really the greatest fit. Seems to not work hard. Was known for taking plays off. He is probably best suited for a NT in the 4-3 defense. He isn't pushing and getting constant pressure, but is a solid run defender. He showed that when they switched their defense this past year.

Really only issue.

While Line has produced bringing him back is fine, but Shurmur seems to utilize the 2 TE package along with now this year possibly a little more of a heavy dose of shotgun.

Still love the Mixon draft. Hard on the PR department but gosh he is going to be great.

“Once you’ve wrestled, everything else in life is easy.”
-Dan Gable
Snake Plissken

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like a good job in filling needs through FA and the draft. I like the trade up for a LT as it is possibly the only move in which to acquire someone who can step in and start. I am not so sure on the move for Warford. I agree we need a LG, but he seems like an injury concern.
byuvike88

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like this offseason. I don't love resigning Line and I'm not sure the Vikings draft Mixon, but I think you nailed it. I love the 2 lineman in the draft and i like the connection of Barkley to Shurmur.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like most of it. Hard to see the Vikings drafting Mixon unless the background checks reveal a totally changed kid but his talent is incredible.

One thing I noticed is I don't think you factored in that Rhodes is already on the books for 8 mil so the additional cap hit after the restructure would only be 5-6 mil.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love everything about this mock beside Captain leaving but it probably will happen. I have been thinking if we can fix the right side of the line in free agency that we could trade into the 1st and take a left tackle. You nailed it
Purplexing

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good! You filled holes, added depth, and cleaned out non-performers while re-signing role players.

One obvious controversial pick is Mixon, who won't fit the new criteria used by Spielman. So, another RB would make sense at the end of rd 4.

I like the fact that you did 'rolling accounting' at each phase of the off-season.

Applause
byuvike88

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Purplexing wrote:
Very good! You filled holes, added depth, and cleaned out non-performers while re-signing role players.

One obvious controversial pick is Mixon, who won't fit the new criteria used by Spielman. So, another RB would make sense at the end of rd 4.

I like the fact that you did 'rolling accounting' at each phase of the off-season.

Applause

Just put Jamaal Williams there and it's perfect!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

byuvike88 wrote:
Purplexing wrote:

Applause

Just put Jamaal Williams there and it's perfect!

With Mixon this is a grand slam. With Williams it's a 2 run homer. I'll take it either way.
Purplexing

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cckoonie wrote:

With Mixon this is a grand slam. With Williams it's a 2 run homer. I'll take it either way.

Unfortunate choice of words.

If he is 'all that', and if his past transgressions can safely be overlooked going forward... i.e. two big 'if' assumptions... then he'll be picked far before 127.
Spielman has more important holes to address before taking a double 'if' risk. Spielman is smart (except when it comes to finding QBs and OL), and won't take big risks.
wcblack34

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we will have to pony up to keep Thielen. He's a restricted FA, so other teams can talk deals with him.

Also, Patterson has been nearly as productive as Tavon Austin, and Austin got a lot more money than that.

I do not believe that we will keep both of them.

“Your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park. Enjoy the ride.”
SemperFeist

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wcblack34 wrote:
I think we will have to pony up to keep Thielen. He's a restricted FA, so other teams can talk deals with him.

I don't see a team offering anything more for Thielen than what New England gave Hogan, and I have Thielen signing for more than that.

Quote:
Also, Patterson has been nearly as productive as Tavon Austin, and Austin got a lot more money than that.

Austin is also the focal point of the Rams' offense, and he got paid as such. Patterson isn't, and won't. Patterson is an athletic roll player, who excels on special teams, similar to Dwayne Harris. I have Patterson getting more than Harris.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fishtanked wrote:
One thing I noticed is I don't think you factored in that Rhodes is already on the books for 8 mil so the additional cap hit after the restructure would only be 5-6 mil.

I did miss that. Thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*Edit*

After some more consideration, I switched up the 4th round pick, and changed the pick to Jamaal Williams. As much as I like Joe Mixon, and think that he's going to be an absolute steel for a team, I just don't believe it's a pick that Spielman would make. No matter how much I'd like to see it.

Williams is a similar player, but without the baggage.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love this off season, but I don't think Ryan Ramczyk makes it anywhere near pick 32. But, this would be a near perfect off season.

The CB depth makes me very, very, nervous. But I'm willing to take that chance to have a real OL.

Also, the coaches seem to really like Asiata.....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: