Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

AP Weekly Rushing Record Watch
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 22, 23, 24  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
swiss_vike

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peterson 31 yeard run was his last of the game. It was middle of the 3rd, down 25 points.

I was wrong about the 1 yards to go, it was only 3rd and 4th, not 2nd.
Krauser

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

swiss_vike wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:
swiss_vike wrote:
10 carries...

Carolina had two really long drives in the first half, you can fault the defense for those ten carries. Same story in the second, the defense couldn't stop them.

Sure, that contributed. But he broke a long one for 30+ yards and we stop running right after that.

It was 28-3 with 5 minutes left in the 3rd quarter when they stopped running. At some point you have to throw the ball downfield if you want to score 4 TDs in 20 minutes.

Cassel was 3/7 for 14 yards with a 10 yard sack in the 3rd quarter. His only completion for more than 2 yards was the checkdown on 3rd and 10 where Peterson pushed between 2 defenders for their only first down of the 3rd quarter. That was followed by a completion for 2 yards, a completion for 1 yard and 2 incompletions including the ugly lob toward Jennings on 4th down, which would've been picked except that the Panthers made the right play to knock it down and take the field position.

The next time they got the ball back they were on their own 8 yard line with 13 minutes left, still down 28-3, and AP was on the bench. If they'd put him in the game and run a draw you'd be happy with that?

If Peterson had gotten hurt in that situation, the coaches would've been fired before the post-game press conference.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

swiss_vike wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:
swiss_vike wrote:
10 carries...

Carolina had two really long drives in the first half, you can fault the defense for those ten carries. Same story in the second, the defense couldn't stop them.

Sure, that contributed. But he broke a long one for 30+ yards and we stop running right after that.

We were in 4th down territory, have 2nd and 1, and we don't run once, but throw on all 3 downs.

I just think that isn't smart football.

I remember complaining about that decision . I'm the type that always would be aggressive on 2nd and short, it's almost a free play in that situation in four down territory. So I'm fine taking a shot on 2nd down but on third down run the ball and get the first

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, when you're down by so much late in the third what is the point in running the ball with Peterson. What if he gets hurt? Fans would be in an uproar. As a coach you can't just keep giving the ball to Peterson to pad his stats, you have to try and build some momentum throwing the ball.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

in the 2nd quarter, Peterson had a total of 3 runs (of 18 total plays), each 7 yards or more.

1 came when down 7, the other 2 when down 14.

Also, I was right about the 2nd/3rd and 4th and 1 without a single run, it was at the end of the second quarter where we had to settle for a field goal instead.

Tell me, you see the above numbers from our back and you don't run him more with plenty of time and the game still within reach?
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

swiss_vike wrote:
in the 2nd quarter, Peterson had a total of 3 runs (of 18 total plays), each 7 yards or more.

Also, I was right about the 2nd/3rd and 4th and 1 without a single run, it was at the end of the second quarter where we had to settle for a field goal instead.

Tell me, you see the above numbers from our back and you don't run him more with plenty of time and the game still within reach?

Again, what is the point in running the ball. With how the defense was playing, mn had no shot to win the game at that point. Is stat padding and trying to get a score or two really worth the extra hits on Peterson? Why not use that time to try and get the passing game going for next week? I love following Petersons career progression but there is no sense in feeding him the ball in a three plus touchdown deficit with little time remaining and a defense that hasn't shown any ability to make a stop.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
swiss_vike wrote:

Again, what is the point in running the ball. With how the defense was playing, mn had no shot to win the game at that point. Is stat padding and trying to get a score or two really worth the extra hits on Peterson? Why not use that time to try and get the passing game going for next week? I love following Petersons career progression but there is no sense in feeding him the ball in a three plus touchdown deficit with little time remaining and a defense that hasn't shown any ability to make a stop.

The point of running the ball is that theoretically if you can keep your defense off the field they will be better rested, there is also that motivation if the offense is doing it's job for the defense to step up, obviously the game was abysmal, but sometimes you have to try and protect your defense, even if it's just to keep them off the field so the score doesn't get as high, you need to do that.

vikingsrule

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a valid point, so basically play to not loose by too much. I guess I'd prefer to see the receivers and Cassel to get as much reps together as possible. Though if Freeman is starting soon that is probably irrelevant.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
swiss_vike wrote:

Down 14 in the second quarter and the game is gone? Are you Musgrave?

We were very successful running the ball in the 2nd quarter. There's absolutely no reason to not run it more when you have been successful doing it.

Also, if we would have been successful with the last drive, it would have been 14-7. Wide open game.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We were discussing the end of the third quarter, why go back to the 2nd quarter. At halftime Peterson had a healthy amount of carries. Again when you lose the time of possession battle by over ten minutes in the first half you're not going to be able to run that many plays on offense. Peterson was doing little when the panthers had its starters in the game anyway, he ripped off the long run against backups

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, in the 2nd quarter, we run 17% of our offensive snaps, (3/18 ) despite running for at least 7 yards per run...all while the game was still within reach.

I have no problem sitting Peterson in the 4th when the game was done.
VikeManDan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Initially I was upset that he only had 10 carries. But with the game so far out of reach after 3 quarters, might as well let him rest.
PeteyPercyPonde

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swiss_vike wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:
swiss_vike wrote:

Down 14 in the second quarter and the game is gone? Are you Musgrave?

We were very successful running the ball in the 2nd quarter. There's absolutely no reason to not run it more when you have been successful doing it.

Also, if we would have been successful with the last drive, it would have been 14-7. Wide open game.

I agree. I was baffled at the end of the quarter when we were down 14-0. Peterson gained 9 on first down, on a pass I believe. We had 2nd and 1, 3rd and 1 and 4th an 1, with 30 seconds and 2 timeouts from the 4 yard line. It should have been a touchdown. Horrible play calling as usual. In retrospect, being down 14-7 at the half wouldn't have mattered, but I hated the calls at the time and still do now.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I'm late this week. Let's just get this one over with.

AP finished with 28 yards on 13 carries (!!!), giving him 511 for the season.

After Week 7 of the 2013 NFL season, AP is currently ranked #33 all-time in rushing yards with 9,360 yards. (AP was #32 last week, but Frank Gore passed him.)

Next Up for 2013 (within 2,000 yards at the start of the season):
32. Frank Gore 9,386 (-26)
31. Earl Campbell 9,407 (-47)
30. Shaun Alexander 9,453 (-93)
29. Joe Perry 9,723 (-363)
28. Clinton Portis 9,923 (-563)
27. Ricky Williams 10,009 (-649)
26. Steven Jackson 10,212 (-852)
25. Ottis Anderson 10,273 (-913)
24. Eddie George 10,441 (-1,081)
23. Tiki Barber 10,449 (-1,089)
22. Thomas Jones 10,591 (-1,231)
21. Jamal Lewis 10,607 (-1,247)
20. Ricky Watters 10,643 (-1,283)

Current List
(Bold = Active Player)
1. Emmitt Smith 18,355
2. Walter Payton 16,726
3. Barry Sanders 15,269
4. Curtis Martin 14,101
5. LaDainian Tomlinson 13,684
6. Jerome Bettis 13,662
7. Eric Dickerson 13,259
8. Tony Dorsett 12,739
9. Jim Brown 12,312
10. Marshall Faulk 12,279
11. Edgerrin James 12,246
12. Marcus Allen 12,243
13. Franco Harris 12,120
14. Thurman Thomas 12,074
15. Fred Taylor 11,695
16. John Riggins 11,352
17. Corey Dillon 11,241
18. O.J. Simpson 11,236
19. Warrick Dunn 10,967
20. Ricky Watters 10,643
21. Jamal Lewis 10,607
22. Thomas Jones 10,591
23. Tiki Barber 10,449
24. Eddie George 10,441
25. Ottis Anderson 10,273
26. Steven Jackson 10,212
27. Ricky Williams 10,009
28. Clinton Portis 9,923
29. Joe Perry 9,723
30. Shaun Alexander 9,453
31. Earl Campbell 9,407
32. Frank Gore 9,386
33. Adrian Peterson 9,360
34. Ahman Green 9,205

Source: http://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/rush_yds_career.htm

AP is currently 1,489 yards away from reaching 2,000 on the season. He must average 148.9 yards per game to hit 2,000.

AP is currently 1,594 yards away from reaching Eric Dickerson's single-season rushing record of 2,105 yards. He must average 159.4 yards per game to hit 2,105.

AP is currently 1,989 yards away from reaching 2,500 on the season. He must average 198.9 yards per game to hit 2,500. (We can probably stop tracking this one right about now.)

"Live as brave men; and if Fortune is adverse, front its blows with brave hearts." -- Cicero
vikes635

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AP is gonna be 30th after tonight, he's gonna get two hundred Laughing its true

Rip Sean Taylor

PROPS TO Joe_is_the_best for the Sig

Adopt A Viking= Kyle Rudolph Rec=5 Targets=10 Drops= Penalties= tot yds=69 TD=1 Lng=21

Pre Season= 4 catches 1 drop 44 yards

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Page 18 of 24

Jump to: