You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Why we should root for the Texans
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EliteTexan80

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dsorc wrote:
brassglobos wrote:
Wouldn't mind seeing the Texans win the SB. Unless you're a division rival, it's hard not cheer for an expansion team that has finally emerged.

Can they do it without Schaub? Absolutely not. I don't care how good every other facet is, at some the QB will have to make some throws and win a game.

And when was the last time a team won a Super Bowl with a backup QB?

I would like to see what the Texans can do in the playoffs with a healthy Matt Schaub.

Tom Brady in 2001-02 (but then again he hasn't given up the reins since)
Trent Dilfer in 2000-01 (perfect example of a team winning irrelevant of QB)

Jeff Hostetler won one, right? Was he starting when Scott Norwood pushed the FG wide left? And while he didn't WIN the SB, the '92 Bills owe their run to Frank Reich, who orchestrated what is simply known as "The Greatest Comeback in NFL History" while starting in place of the injured Jim Kelly. Reich drove 'em to the SB, Kelly started the SB, and was promptly knocked out of the SB, as the Cowboys crushed the Bills 52-17...

vike daddy wrote:
EliteTexan80 wrote:
I wanna be a mod.

vastly over rated.
Dawgtx

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom Shean wrote:
I really don't like when people insinuate that one way of winning a SB is any better than another. I'd win it kicking only field goals all year long if I could. It doesn't matter at all.

That said, the Texans are a division rival, and one whose fanbase has suddenly gotten so high and mighty after 1 good season, so I prefer if they fail miserably where they belong. Twisted Evil Wink

That said....most of the time, we were pretty high and mighty even when we were losing at 6-10?! It's not just now. It seems like now simply because our high and mightiness now has credibility, which makes it seem worse?!

But honestly, not much has changed. Hopefully we stay classy!

EDIT: Sorry, I just realized you have only been on FF for a month, no way you could have known about years past. But trust me, it not just been 1 good seasons worth?!
Jaytrajik

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know much about them but I wouldn't mind seeing the Texans win it all. I hear they're a good bunch of guys.
NickButera

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've jumped on the Texans bandwagon this preseason. Kinda figured they'd go to the Championship at least, with a good shot at making the superbowl. It would be nice to see some new powers come out of the AFC. We've seen the same teams dominate the regular season for so long, I'm kind of excited to see who's going to start to take over the next decade. A new Colts team, Texans, Cincinnati maybe..

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be.
Also, my short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be.
brassglobos

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dsorc wrote:
brassglobos wrote:
Wouldn't mind seeing the Texans win the SB. Unless you're a division rival, it's hard not cheer for an expansion team that has finally emerged.

Can they do it without Schaub? Absolutely not. I don't care how good every other facet is, at some the QB will have to make some throws and win a game.

I would like to see what the Texans can do in the playoffs with a healthy Matt Schaub.

Tom Brady was a second year QB who took over as the starter at game 3 during the regular season. Hardly a back-up taking over in/near post season play.

Trent Dilfer took over half way through the regular season. Not to mention that 2000 Ravens team had one of the best defenses of all time. This years Texans team does not have one of the best defenses of all time. While it is a perfect example of a team winning regardless of the QB, it's pretty much the only example of this every happening.

And I realize you were attempting to answer my question, but the examples you provided hardly prove that if Schaub goes down, TJ Yates can fill in and win. Look at what happened in Baltimore last year.

Does anyone really think they are going to win a Super Bowl with TJ Yates?
smetana34

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

norg wrote:
u know we could be that Spread em out passing game like the saints and cards if we wanted 2 .....IF !!!!!!!!!!

No man, you couldn't even IF!!!!! you wanted to

Uncle Buck: "I'm expecting Kate Beckinsale to dump her husband and run away with me."
incognito_man wrote:

you probably have better odds of running off with Tebow.
FirstDownFaulk

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EliteTexan80 wrote:
dsorc wrote:
brassglobos wrote:

Jeff Hostetler won one, right? Was he starting when Scott Norwood pushed the FG wide left? And while he didn't WIN the SB, the '92 Bills owe their run to Frank Reich, who orchestrated what is simply known as "The Greatest Comeback in NFL History" while starting in place of the injured Jim Kelly. Reich drove 'em to the SB, Kelly started the SB, and was promptly knocked out of the SB, as the Cowboys crushed the Bills 52-17...

In the history of Super Bowls....46 of them for those who are unsure....Brad Johnson, Trent Dilfer, Mark Rypien, Jeff Hostetler, Jim McMahon and Doug Williams (not including active quarterbacks Brady, Brees, Rodgers, Manning x2, and Roethlisberger....all of whom have a legitimate shot of "busting into Canton") are Hall of Famers. They all had a historically great defense or running game that they rode to Super Bowl titles, but were unable to win another. Only the truly elite quarterbacks, with elite postseason performances, have won multiple Super Bowls.

I say it all the time and history has proven it's truth....you can win A championship with a good quarterback, but you need an elite one to win multiple Super Bowls.

dsorc

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brassglobos wrote:
dsorc wrote:
brassglobos wrote:

Tom Brady was a second year QB who took over as the starter at game 3 during the regular season. Hardly a back-up taking over in/near post season play.

Trent Dilfer took over half way through the regular season. Not to mention that 2000 Ravens team had one of the best defenses of all time. This years Texans team does not have one of the best defenses of all time. While it is a perfect example of a team winning regardless of the QB, it's pretty much the only example of this every happening.

And I realize you were attempting to answer my question, but the examples you provided hardly prove that if Schaub goes down, TJ Yates can fill in and win. Look at what happened in Baltimore last year.

Does anyone really think they are going to win a Super Bowl with TJ Yates?

I originally wanted to just answer your questions since the most recent example is such a big name so I thought it ironic. Sure, Brady started since the third game but he was a second-year late-round QB who had a total of three pass attempts his rookie year. He made the pro bowl in 2001 but his success was completely unexpected. I'm not arguing that Yates is the next Brady, that would be insanely homeristic of me. However, if Yates were to take over right now, he would have about the same regular season experience that Brady had in 2001 plus a playoff victory. Yates coming into this season is regarded better than Brady entering into 2001. It is possible for a backup QB to win it all as long as he's surrounded with enough talent. It's just not that likely.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: