Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Thursday Night Football GDT: Dolphins @ Bills
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 45, 46, 47  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Final outcome?
Dolphins win
25%
 25%  [ 14 ]
Bills win
54%
 54%  [ 30 ]
Tie (had to put this in)
20%
 20%  [ 11 ]
Total Votes : 55

lionslicer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A1steak wrote:
Tannehill is still bad though.

Woah there Charles Dickens, I didn't come here to read a novel.
eagles101

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vindicatedxx wrote:
Well this game sucked. Whoever put this on the schedule should be fired.

its thursday night...they need to do terrible terrible games because nobody wants to see two great teams play like complete crap because its a shortened week. thursday night football is the worse thing in the nfl.

I don't understand most of that, but I can tell it's probably inaccurate.
tylerdouglass

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really NFL.com? The Bills won because of Spiller? Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eagles101 wrote:
Vindicatedxx wrote:

its thursday night...they need to do terrible terrible games because nobody wants to see two great teams play like complete crap because its a shortened week. thursday night football is the worse thing in the nfl.

Thursday night football is a contradiction to Goodell's "extra emphasis on player safety". Take the Patriot's for example.....they have a 4:25p game this Sunday and a Thursday night game on Thanksgiving. That's less than 4 days between games...hardly a good scheduling idea if you were truly concerned about the safety of your players.

Everything the league does is motivated by money....period. Thursday night football was simply created to make NFL Network a more enticing station to watch, and provide them leverage when trying to weasel more money out of cable providers. They understand the demand, and they supply the product while holding every major cable/satellite provider in the nation by their...well, you know.

bungleodeon

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eagles101 wrote:
Vindicatedxx wrote:

Have to agree. 4-5 TNF games a year is tolerable. 17 in a season is just ridiculous. There's been maybe 2 decent games so far this year, the rest have been pretty bad for any neutral fan.
SnA ExclusiVe

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FirstDownFaulk wrote:
eagles101 wrote:
Vindicatedxx wrote:

Thursday night football is a contradiction to Goodell's "extra emphasis on player safety". Take the Patriot's for example.....they have a 4:25p game this Sunday and a Thursday night game on Thanksgiving. That's less than 4 days between games...hardly a good scheduling idea if you were truly concerned about the safety of your players.

Everything the league does is motivated by money....period. Thursday night football was simply created to make NFL Network a more enticing station to watch, and provide them leverage when trying to weasel more money out of cable providers. They understand the demand, and they supply the product while holding every major cable/satellite provider in the nation by their...well, you know.

Yyyyyup, and if we get an extra X-amount of games added to the schedule, Goodell could apply for "Biggest hypocrite in the Universe" and probably win with minimal debate.
sp6488

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FirstDownFaulk wrote:
eagles101 wrote:
Vindicatedxx wrote:

I'm getting a little tired of the criticism "the NFL is all about the money." Not arguing with it, I actually agree. But it's getting really old with posters putting it out there like some profound, damning criticism. The NFL was STARTED for money. People were and still are willing to pay to see the sport played at the highest level.

I mean, seriously. Money isn't some evil thing, it's simply a store of value created allowing me to turn my labor into goods and services from others that I want/need. Everyone is motivated by money in some respect. I don't go to my job every day for the love of financial services, I do it because I get paid.

Yes, this was not the greatest matchup ever, but how can we expect every Thursday matchup to be great? Before the season, the Bills looked like they could be a hugely improved team. There was no way that the NFL could envision them being so bleh.

As far as the player safety angle, I don't see why the NFL cannot look to increase player safety while also attempting to increase revenue. It's a balancing act, just like anything else in life. Not everything is black-white 100% one way or 100% the other. To FULLY eliminate player safety concerns, the NFL would have to cancel itself. Conversely, in order to maximize revenue, the NFL would increase the number of games, not just to the proposed 18, but something more like 24 or 32 (there is a point of diminishing returns due to sloppy games as a result of limited practice time, etc.). The NFL is working in between these two extremes in an attempt to provide a highly desired product to the masses and ensure the long-term viability of the sport (through cash flow, player safety, public perception, etc.).

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bungleodeon wrote:
eagles101 wrote:
Vindicatedxx wrote:

Have to agree. 4-5 TNF games a year is tolerable. 17 in a season is just ridiculous. There's been maybe 2 decent games so far this year, the rest have been pretty bad for any neutral fan.

Not arguing safety, but the quality of the games has a lot to do with the two teams involved in each game. The Bears v Packers game was the only one thus far that even has two teams with winning records going against each other. No offense to fans of these teams but do the Panthers, Browns, Bills, Dolphins, Vikings, Chiefs, Titans, etc. really have many legitimate reasons to be showcased in a primetime game?
EccentricFan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Until the NFL gets a clue and decides to not make Sunday Ticket DirectTV exclusive, I'm happy to have the "every team gets a Thursday game" plan. Being outside the market, I don't get to watch all that many of my team's games to begin with. I'll take every one I can get.
eagles101

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EccentricFan wrote:
Until the NFL gets a clue and decides to not make Sunday Ticket DirectTV exclusive, I'm happy to have the "every team gets a Thursday game" plan. Being outside the market, I don't get to watch all that many of my team's games to begin with. I'll take every one I can get.

i totally get that. im a displaced fan also but the thursday night games arnt worth watching. i dont want to see my team play horribly because they have had only a couple days rest just so i can see them.

but even then the nfl network (at least directv) is not in the basic package. im not going to pay x amount more just to watch one game a week that is completely terrible.

I don't understand most of that, but I can tell it's probably inaccurate.
sp6488

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EccentricFan wrote:

Why would they make it not exclusive? And how does the current system constitute them not having a clue?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Malik wrote:
bungleodeon wrote:
eagles101 wrote:
Vindicatedxx wrote:

Not arguing safety, but the quality of the games has a lot to do with the two teams involved in each game. The Bears v Packers game was the only one thus far that even has two teams with winning records going against each other. No offense to fans of these teams but do the Panthers, Browns, Bills, Dolphins, Vikings, Chiefs, Titans, etc. really have many legitimate reasons to be showcased in a primetime game?

How many games do the Jets have on prime time this year?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sp6488 wrote:
EccentricFan wrote:

Why would they make it not exclusive? And how does the current system constitute them not having a clue?

Because currently DirectTV pays them a lot of money to get it exclusively as it's a big selling point for them. However, they currently have less than 20 million customers.

Comcast, Dish Network, Time Warner Cable, Cox Communications, Charter Communications, Verizon, and Cablevision combine for well 60 million customers. That's more than three times the customers without even factoring in smaller players.

Sure it's a lot easier to just auction off exclusive rights whenever the contract comes up, and it can be a pain to fight with an negotiate contracts with each company individually instead, it's hard to imagine they can get at least as much money making it available to any provider that will pay enough.

More importantly, it opens Sunday Ticket up to all those new potential customers, creating a lot of happy fans.
sp6488

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EccentricFan wrote:
sp6488 wrote:
EccentricFan wrote:

Because currently DirectTV pays them a lot of money to get it exclusively as it's a big selling point for them. However, they currently have less than 20 million customers.

Comcast, Dish Network, Time Warner Cable, Cox Communications, Charter Communications, Verizon, and Cablevision combine for well 60 million customers. That's more than three times the customers without even factoring in smaller players.

Sure it's a lot easier to just auction off exclusive rights whenever the contract comes up, and it can be a pain to fight with an negotiate contracts with each company individually instead, it's hard to imagine they can get at least as much money making it available to any provider that will pay enough.

More importantly, it opens Sunday Ticket up to all those new potential customers, creating a lot of happy fans.

Ahhhh, so you are suggesting they sell it to other carriers. My bad.

I thought that you were suggesting Sunday Ticket access should be free or open to everyone.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't understand the hate on TNF.

1. I actually like the fact that weaker teams play on Thursday night. It gives me a chance to watch teams I'd never watch on Sunday.

2. Before there were 4 times to watch football, 1, 4:15, Sun. night and Mon. night. Now we have 5 opportunities to watch football. How is this a bad thing?

Adopt-a-Patriot: Marcus Forston - Practice squad (0 tackles, 0 sacks)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 45, 46, 47  Next
Page 46 of 47

Jump to: