Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Battered and Bruised: Ravens vs. Steelers GDT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 13, 14, 15  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
at23steelers

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always perceived Ike being the faster of the two players. I was thinking Lewis would match up again Boldin. I guess Jacoby Jones is faster than Smith, so Ike will cover him. Prediction now:

Jones -> Ike
Smith -> Lewis
Boldin -> Cortez
turtle28

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

at23steelers wrote:
I always perceived Ike being the faster of the two players. I was thinking Lewis would match up again Boldin. I guess Jacoby Jones is faster than Smith, so Ike will cover him. Prediction now:

Jones -> Ike
Smith -> Lewis
Boldin -> Cortez
dont the Steeler CBs just play sides of the field? I don't remember a lot of shadowing wrs like following a guy in motion or something.

Anyways, why would you have the #1 cb (Ike) covering the #3 wr for them, Jones. That doesn't make sense to me. If they play man I'd definitely want Ike on Boldin because he's the most experienced, strongest and most physical cb against the guy that is the exact same thing for the ravens- Boldin.

In man I'd put Lewis on Smith and Allen on Jones.

"God made certain people to play football... Sean was one" JG
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
RavensDefense3

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

armsteeld wrote:
I LOVE what Lewis said!! He is slowly getting better and deserves to be more confident. He didn't say anything idiotic but rather stated an obvious fact. I love confident and borderline cocky players. If you lack attitude then stay off the field.
It's not really an "obvious fact", we'd have to have them race to see who's faster. 40 times are a joke.
at23steelers

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
at23steelers wrote:

Jones -> Ike
Smith -> Lewis
Boldin -> Cortez
dont the Steeler CBs just play sides of the field? I don't remember a lot of shadowing wrs like following a guy in motion or something.

Anyways, why would you have the #1 cb (Ike) covering the #3 wr for them, Jones. That doesn't make sense to me. If they play man I'd definitely want Ike on Boldin because he's the most experienced, strongest and most physical cb against the guy that is the exact same thing for the ravens- Boldin.

Because Jones is their faster WR and Ike is our faster CB. I don't want to see easy points by Jones outrunning Cortez. Cortez can be physical too, so I think that matchup is fine. This is just in 3 WR sets Im talking about, where I believe Boldin takes the slot a lot of the times. I agree though, with Smith and Boldin, Ike takes Boldin.
turtle28

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

at23steelers wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
at23steelers wrote:

Jones -> Ike
Smith -> Lewis
Boldin -> Cortez

Because Jones is their faster WR and Ike is our faster CB. I don't want to see easy points by Jones outrunning Cortez. Cortez can be physical too, so I think that matchup is fine. This is just in 3 WR sets Im talking about, where I believe Boldin takes the slot a lot of the times. I agree though, with Smith and Boldin, Ike takes Boldin.
yeah but jones is garbage compared to Boldin and Smith.

I'd rather have our #1 on their #1. Also Torrey smith is definitely faster than jacoby jones

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
RavensDefense3

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
at23steelers wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
at23steelers wrote:

Jones -> Ike
Smith -> Lewis
Boldin -> Cortez

I'd rather have our #1 on their #1. Also Torrey smith is definitely faster than jacoby jones

Jones is actually doing great, it's just that Cam doesn't like using him.
turtle28

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RavensDefense3 wrote:
i guess he's more consistent than in years past but he's still doing his best work on special teams as he always has.

diamondbull424

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
RavensDefense3 wrote:
i guess he's more consistent than in years past but he's still doing his best work on special teams as he always has.

Only because we aren't using him. The guy torched Nnamdi deep for one touchdown... and could've had two if not for a controversial OPI called by the replacements.

His route running and speed have never been his issues in the past with the Texans, it's generally been his consistency with catching the football. He's always been a body catcher and it showed... the change of scenery has really helped to improve his focus and work ethic and his hands have been much more consistent... when he's seen the field.

That said, no way Jacoby Jones is faster than Torrey Smith. Especially not in the get off... maybe if they ran long enough.

And I really don't understand why you guys would want your best corner on Boldin. Torrey Smith is the biggest playmaker on the Ravens offense. He's not just a speed guy. He's generally not producing like he was at the beginning of the season because he's being covered by #1s and blanketed with a safety over top. If the Steelers think putting Lewis on him they better make sure they're blanketing him at all times. I've yet to see any corner outside of JJoe cover Torrey 1on1 without much help.

I have no problem with Lewis' confidence- Wallace is faster, but he just better know that if he's left on an island, he'd better be ready to back up his relative nonchalance....

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
at23steelers wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
at23steelers wrote:

Jones -> Ike
Smith -> Lewis
Boldin -> Cortez

Boldin has largely been producing the way he has because Torrey has been drawing the coverage he has. Even then Boldin hasn't been a world beater. When we put him in the slot and allow him to make plays, he tends to make them... but his separation is still pretty nill. Personally Cam tends to bring out his "true" playbook for Steelers/Pats games (and keeps it locked up for the vast majority of the season...) so we might actually see a decent amount of Jacoby Jones in this game. If Ike Taylor is being asked to play Boldin, it's really a benefit to us... as Smith on Lewis should result in some plays... especially if Jones can loosen up some of the safety looks he sees deep. Either guy should see more opportunities because of the other. Personally if I'm the Steelers I put Ike on Smith generally 1on1... and make everyone else beat me... because I'd bet that they can't.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the insight Diamond. I wouldn't mind either on Smith, but I do think Ike is faster. However, Ike is also more physical and experienced which is why he's probably on Boldin. Not to mention, Lewis has been the better cover corner this year so far.
SteelProven

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This game is going to depend on the Steelers ability to shutdown the Ravens offense. The Ravens have utilized their TE's more in the passing game getting themselves in a shorter down and distance. The Steelers have to minimize the flow of the offense going to the TE's. So smaller windows, big hits or being more physical is something that needs to happen right from the start.

The Steelers CB's vs the Raven's WR's is as evenly matched as it can get. The Steelers have shutdown what I believe was a better trio in New York. Which I believe is the same minus T. Smith lack of route running compared to V.Cruz.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IIRC, Boldin always seems to do well against the Steelers. I like Ike on Boldin because I think he can erase him completely.

Smith's seeing a safety over the top no matter who is on him, and Keenan should be able to play well enough to limit his production, given the help he knows he has. Will Allen's been playing great recently, so this will be a nice measuring stick for him to see how he and Keenan handle Smith.

Props to mike23md on the awesome signature!
KJtheWicked

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the idea of Ike playing man all night against Smith. Boldin doesn't scare me. If we can shut Smith down and contain the run, I think we win an ugly one.

Go Noles!
diamondbull424

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KJtheWicked wrote:
I like the idea of Ike playing man all night against Smith. Boldin doesn't scare me. If we can shut Smith down and contain the run, I think we win an ugly one.

I think this is your best bet. When Torrey produces, it just serves to create a synergistic affect where all the offensive options start to get involved... because the defense is left off-balance.

The Texans have had the blue print. Shut down Torrey Smith with your best cover guy so that you can do as many 1on1s as possible and divert your secondary attention elsewhere on occasion. Do that and continue to mix things up with zone coverages... and it should make it hard to get Torrey in a proper groove.

Taylor has shown that he can nullify #1s... so now you can throw more guys at Boldin and Pitta and have them be aggressive. That should lead Flacco into throwing some costly picks. If you can force turnovers via coverage confusion/overloads, then that's your best bet.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@diamond: But Keenan has definitely been our better cover guy so far this year. Im fine with keeping him and Will Allen / Clark on Torrey Smith. Only reason Id put Ike on Smith is because he seems faster than Lewis.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 3 of 15

Jump to: