Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

GDT: BAL Ravens @ PIT Steelers (Wk 11)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  

How many sacks will Suggs have?
0 sks- Probably have a batted down pass, nothing more
10%
 10%  [ 2 ]
1 sk- He gets one when we're in need of a key play.
45%
 45%  [ 9 ]
2 sks- That average Steelers OL cannot stop Suggs from dominating.
30%
 30%  [ 6 ]
3 sks- Suggs goes complete HAM on them and puts himself in the CPOTY race.
15%
 15%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 20

SnA ExclusiVe

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

diamondbull424 wrote:
I'm only pointing this out because quite frankly... it's egregiously wrong- like to the point that if Stephen A. Smith were reading this, he'd yell at you really loud using big words and stuff...

How is it wrong? In several of our games this year, our defense, albeit giving up astronomical amounts of yards have been able to get a key sack to get off the field or a key stop on 3rd down to get off the field. Against New England, against Dallas (not really towards the end of the game, but we did get some key stops), and now Against Pittsburgh and I'm sure other games as well, such as Cleveland. We've come up big in some situations where we needed to.

I mean really doe.. our 3rd down defense has in fact been the biggest weakness of this defense all year long. Just because we were able to play good 3rd down defense in one game does not legitimate it make us. Have you ever wondered why our run defense has been relatively solid looking on a YPC basis, yet we give up so many yards? Have you ever wondered why we're a bottom 10 team in defensive TOP (low to high). Quite frankly, it's because of the fact that our 3rd down defense has been horrid. The only thing that has helped us out statistically is having played Brandon Weeden, the Raiders, and an injured backup QB for the past 3 weeks.

Except there are several games this year where our run defense actually HAS been horrid...That has nothing to do with 3rd downs. We get gashed in the run game and drives are extended...It's not because we are good against the run and then on 3rd down we suck. If you want to see a poor 3rd down team, watch the Seattle Seahawks; they're atrocious.

Our run defense is inconsistent from play to play, but generally it tends to even itself out and looks to have nice looking numbers to it. The only thing that is worse than our 3rd down defense has been our passing average allowed, but this goes back to Dean Pees defense... that gives huge cushions to WRs to prevent the big play, but gets annihilated underneath for big gains. So this, at least, is by design. What shouldn't be by design is how bad we are at getting off the field.

So maybe what I'm trying to say is that our defense is inconsistent on a 3rd down to 3rd down basis; but to me it seems that when our defense HAS TO HAVE that stop on 3rd down, we get it. We may not get the first, or second, or third 3rd down stop, but when they start getting near our side of the field or in field goal range or in the red zone, we get that stop. That's something that's jumped out to me this year is that, despite how BAD our defense is in terms of letting teams get yardage as they please, we even it out by getting that one stop we need to keep them either to 3 points, or off the board completely.

Now in terms of your post in "general" Wink
I think what you're saying is exactly true. But the thing is you're saying the same exact thing DTMB is saying, only he's more correct. Sure our offense and defense has failed to be a splash "in general" but we've won games in every way you can win them this year. We've won with explosive offense, we've won with our return game on special teams, we've won games with our kicking game, we've won games with our defense. Sure all of the units haven't looked dominant in every game and outside of the Raiders game they haven't all shown up together, but his point stands that this team has proven to be a survivor. We may or may not make it to a Championship, but as it stands this team continues to survive games... by any means necessary. Sure there is no one part that we can pimp up in NFL gen or to local fans at a bar, sure this team doesn't look shiny and cool, and sure this team plays down to the level of their competition ALL THE TIME... but in the end, it hasn't really mattered because we found a way to get it done.

You know what, good point. I can't argue with that, nor do I want to because that's just a good point. I just wish for ONE game I could see what this team looks like when all of those parts are going, you know? I wish for ONE game we could actually play a complete game, where one unit wasn't self-destructing.

There is a Harbaugh togetherness and family speech in there somewhere... and he's not far off. Sure Harbaugh's speeches are insanely corny, but this team this season probably has more of Harbaugh in it, than any team we've had. We're that corny, uncool underdog that somehow has overachieved and continues to overachieve... by some unexplainable measure. The only thing we can be sure that this team has, is heart. Even when we were down by 30 against Houston our guys were hustling and going out trying to make plays. What we have is grit- we have the intangibles that you can't see and point to. We have WRs playing the day their younger brother has died- only to make key plays for the win. We have young players and free agents stepping up to make big plays when the guy in front of them has gone down with a season ending injury. We have an All-Star pass rusher whose going to get paid either way, yet doesn't rest on his laurels but instead kicks it into high gear to get back to lead this team with his play and intensity. We have a team that has faced adversity and still hasn't given up. We're not a group of world beaters, but like I said a few weeks ago, if this team gets to the playoffs and are only winning by one point until they're hoisting the Lombardi trophy, then mission accomplished. Style points sell jerseys, not win you games.

That made me want to tear up, lol. Yeah, and I love that about this team, which is why it really upsets me that it's being held back by guys like Cam Cameron who continuously fail this team and fail to utilize the extraordinary people we have playing for it.

On a complete side not, did anyone happen to see Fox NFL's picks lats sunday? THEY ALL PICKED PITTSBURGH TO BEAT US! It seemed like last week everyone was picking Pittsburgh to win that game, with freaking Byron Leftwich at QB. I couldn't believe that. Sorry, reading your 'uncool underdogs' thing made me think of that.

So I guess my part about our defense just being inconsistent on 3rd downs is more of what I was trying to say, but what I've been impressed with is our ability to get "that stop" when we need it.

Steve Smith Sr. on Panthers Secondary wrote:
"I'm 35 years old and I ran around those boys like they was schoolyard kids."
diamondbull424

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^
But the thing is, we've always had a great redzone defense. We've been ranked #1 in redzone defense since 2000 IIRC. The only difference is we're usually not giving up this insane amount of yards to go along with it, so it's not as flashy. It's usually teams get there every once in awhile and we stop them... but now they get there all the time (leading to more points), but we usually minimize the damage by making them settle for field goals.

And that's not really 3rd down% you're referring to though. If they're getting the first, second, or third 3rd down... they're getting yards.

And in terms of the run defense, the only game where we've just been flat our bad at stopping the run and never able to fix it was the Dallas game.

1st game- Against the Bengals we were gashed in the 1st half, but were pretty stout in the 2nd half.

2nd game- Against the Eagles we shut down McCoy in the first half, but as the game wore on into the 2nd half we started letting up yards (much of this having to do with Upshaw's lack of endurance IMO).

3rd game- New England didn't really establish a run at all.

4th game- We shut Cleveland down in the run game- even though Richardson had some nice looking short gain runs.

5th game- Kansas City DESTROYED us in the 1st half, but only got something like 20-30 yds rushing in the 2nd half. Rice ended up averaging more YPC than Charles in that game.

6th game- Dallas ran over us no matter who was in there. Our adjustments didn't work and all their backs were effective.

7th game- Houston had a good game, but it was largely a normal good. They didn't necessarily gash us at any point. Some nice runs here, good run defense there, Arian Foster making a play... but it wasn't anything we didn't see in 2011.

8th game- Cleveland = same story as above. Richardson looked really good and the Browns were able to give him the interior blocking he needed this time around. But our defense looked competitive out there and largely were just at the mercy of such a talented back being unstoppable. But even then, we kept Richardson from 'going off' per se.

9th game- Oakland game probably shouldn't count since they have sucked running the football all year and they had like their 8th string tailback in the game. But some have counted this... and if you do, well it makes the unit look pretty darn good.

10th game- Pittsburgh didn't run all over us, but were able to establish a running game. I haven't checked the numbers but they probably look somewhat normal. We definitely didn't look like we were gashed for large stretches. There was maybe a first down series here and there where it happened... and obviously ANY Byron Leftwich run for a TD is the definition of being gashed, but FTMP we looked somewhat competent (which is the best you can ask for under this defense).

So like I said, the run defense is leaky, but its usually leveled itself out. The one quality thing I can say about Dean Pees that maybe we didn't have with our top notch DCs is that he's been able to make nice adjustments. If Rex went into a game and his plan didn't work, then it would be a long day... Pagano was better, but still wasn't very good at it. Pees has a knack for it. I actually wouldn't mind putting him in the booth in that Vic Fangio sort of role as an assistant. His ability to make adjustments is pretty good and I wouldn't mind trying to capitalize on that... he just sucks as an actual coordinator.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I guess if you're satisfied with our offense being a Jekyll and Hyde type of offense for the entire season, then our offense has been good. I look for consistency and that's the last thing our offense has been; consistent. We score 55 points one week then the next can't even manage to move the ball to get into FG range one time.

At no point did I say I was satisfied with this teams inconsistency. All I'm trying to say is that this team as a whole is a good team, so they must be doing something right. Could they improve? Of course. But I just think it's ridiculous to go out of your way to be negative. I mean, looking at the bolded, we moved the ball into FG range 3 times this past week. Why can't you just be negative or "look for consistency" using the actual facts of what happened?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sp6488 wrote:
Quote:
I guess if you're satisfied with our offense being a Jekyll and Hyde type of offense for the entire season, then our offense has been good. I look for consistency and that's the last thing our offense has been; consistent. We score 55 points one week then the next can't even manage to move the ball to get into FG range one time.

At no point did I say I was satisfied with this teams inconsistency. All I'm trying to say is that this team as a whole is a good team, so they must be doing something right. Could they improve? Of course. But I just think it's ridiculous to go out of your way to be negative. I mean, looking at the bolded, we moved the ball into FG range 3 times this past week. Why can't you just be negative or "look for consistency" using the actual facts of what happened?

We got into FG range by turnovers from the defense, not because of the offense.

Jacoby's punt return for a TD...
Chris Johnson's forced fumble (FG)
Corey Graham's INT (FG)

I think the only time the offense moved the ball into FG range was when we moved down there, then shot ourselves in the foot like 3 times and got moved back and Tucker missed it.

Flaccomania

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm confused here...

You applaud our defense for several games where we look awful, but then we pull out a key stop/sack/etc when we need it that allows us to win the game.

Yet, when Flacco does the exact same thing through his career, you criticize him for it.

Doesn't quite add up for me.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flaccomania wrote:
I'm confused here...

You applaud our defense for several games where we look awful, but then we pull out a key stop/sack/etc when we need it that allows us to win the game.

Yet, when Flacco does the exact same thing through his career, you criticize him for it.

Doesn't quite add up for me.

I can see how you could connect those two, but I just don't view those two things the same way, at all.

I wasn't praising the defense at all, especially not on a game-by-game basis, it was more drive-by-drive from what I've noticed.

I don't think I've seen drives where Flacco sucks for 3/4 of the drive and then suddenly when we (somehow, theoretically) get into FG range he converts a key third down to get us points. When Flacco sucks, he's really bad and we end up punting.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21
Page 21 of 21

Jump to: