Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

GDT: BAL Ravens @ PIT Steelers (Wk 11)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 19, 20, 21  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  

How many sacks will Suggs have?
0 sks- Probably have a batted down pass, nothing more
10%
 10%  [ 2 ]
1 sk- He gets one when we're in need of a key play.
45%
 45%  [ 9 ]
2 sks- That average Steelers OL cannot stop Suggs from dominating.
30%
 30%  [ 6 ]
3 sks- Suggs goes complete HAM on them and puts himself in the CPOTY race.
15%
 15%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 20

diamondbull424

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
diamondbull424 wrote:
^^^^ The pass rush should also be seeing a huge boost this game.
BR.com- Pernell McPhee at 100% wrote:
"I feel like Im ready, I feel like Im 100 percent,
"I think the quickness is back because we were out doing drills and coach told me I look pretty good and I was moving pretty good so I think its coming back, he said.

In addition to that, Ngata had the bye week to rest his shoulder and knee, he only played sparingly against the Browns (on pass rush situations), and he didn't play at all against the Raiders. He's had a lot of time to get healthy. So it's not outside the realm of possibility to see him come back and regain some of his explosive ability as well. Our pass rush could end up seeing big time improvement.

Isn't McPhee ruled doubtful or out??

He's ruled doubtful... but I take those with a grain of salt. Probably depends on how he feels after practicing. If he's not playing, I still like our chances with Suggs and Kruger on the outside against the Steelers OTs. I'll believe their improvement when I see it against us. The unit was looking better in run blocking and then the Chiefs really had a nice game against them. the NFL is a copy cat league. If the Chiefs saw something that they can expose... then there's reason to believe that we could attempt to pattern our pass rushing strategies in a similar way for success.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

diamondbull424 wrote:
Actually not. The Ravens rushing defense has been giving up huge chunks of YARDS, but not huge chunks of yards per carry. The big weakness of our defense has generally been our inability to get off the field on 3rd down because a) our abysmal 3rd down% in which we're 23rd in the league and b) because we have so many costly penalties that take teams away from being in a hole to being in situations where they can continue drives and continue to wear down the defense.

It'd be true to say that this defense isn't as consistently stingy with rush defense, but even in the games where we've been gashed, we've usually been able to make adjustments to figure things out and turn it around... which is why we find ourselves with a 3.9 rush average (8th in the league). It's not as if we're the Atlanta Falcons and give up a bunch of yards plus are giving it up at a horrid clip. Teams have been able to have more success than in the past, but make no mistake... Leftwich will have to use his arm for much more than handoffs to beat/compete with us.

That said, our pass defense has certainly been below average. So Leftwich should have some matchups he can expose. He'll just have to hope he has the time to expose them. Your OL maybe much improved, but Leftwich is a statue- he's not Ben. Ben can protect an OL with his pocket presence and ability to shake sacks... Leftwich will be a sitting duck. Not saying that our pass rush gets to him, but if it does... your line doesn't have Ben's awesome pocket presence and quicker release to bail them out.

The Ravens have a few things going for them and a bunch of other things going against it. I'd say more bad then good up until this point. Overall the Ravens defense is easily exposed, but the offense has played well when the team needed it.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The run defense held up well last week, but that was against two guys who've barely even seen a football this season.

It will definitely be a test against the RBs the Steelers have at their disposal, but I think that we might be pleasantly surprised. It seems like there might be signs that Dean Pees and the players are starting to understand each other, and starting to throw in some defensive wrinkles that could be awkward for the Steelers.

The front seven need a BIG game, to stop those RBs running all over us, and to stop a severely weakened secondary from being shredded by Leftwich.

I think they can do it. I think Suggs, Upshaw, Kruger and McClellan are going to do well at OLB, and McClain and Ellerbe seem to be finding their rhythm in the middle. The questions are still about the DL, but with Ngata back and Tyson and Hall starting to make their presence felt, I have hopes there too.

Also, Joe Flacco has been getting some praise this week, both for the way he played against the Raiders and for his durability and the fact he's never missed a game. Why do I feel like irony is going to smack him in the face, somehow, this week?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gatorade shower for harbs?

Wink

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sp6488 wrote:
Gatorade shower for harbs?

Wink

Yes, just so all the Steelers fans can tell us about how we just won the Superb Owl, again!

BlaqOptic wrote:
I'd say he's [Dennis Pitta] the fourth best TE in the division... Cameron > Miller > Gresham > Eiffert = Pitta
diamondbull424

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteelProven wrote:
diamondbull424 wrote:
Actually not. The Ravens rushing defense has been giving up huge chunks of YARDS, but not huge chunks of yards per carry. The big weakness of our defense has generally been our inability to get off the field on 3rd down because a) our abysmal 3rd down% in which we're 23rd in the league and b) because we have so many costly penalties that take teams away from being in a hole to being in situations where they can continue drives and continue to wear down the defense.

It'd be true to say that this defense isn't as consistently stingy with rush defense, but even in the games where we've been gashed, we've usually been able to make adjustments to figure things out and turn it around... which is why we find ourselves with a 3.9 rush average (8th in the league). It's not as if we're the Atlanta Falcons and give up a bunch of yards plus are giving it up at a horrid clip. Teams have been able to have more success than in the past, but make no mistake... Leftwich will have to use his arm for much more than handoffs to beat/compete with us.

That said, our pass defense has certainly been below average. So Leftwich should have some matchups he can expose. He'll just have to hope he has the time to expose them. Your OL maybe much improved, but Leftwich is a statue- he's not Ben. Ben can protect an OL with his pocket presence and ability to shake sacks... Leftwich will be a sitting duck. Not saying that our pass rush gets to him, but if it does... your line doesn't have Ben's awesome pocket presence and quicker release to bail them out.

The Ravens have a few things going for them and a bunch of other things going against it. I'd say more bad then good up until this point. Overall the Ravens defense is easily exposed, but the offense has played well when the team needed it.

I won't argue that our defense as a whole can't be exposed. That I agree with. I just think that our inability to stop the run against the Chiefs and Cowboys... along with the first halves in some of our other games... hasn't properly been broken down. The stats say that per carry we're still a very good unit, so why the yards? I think its just important for people to realize that a) those out of hand games were generally before Suggs' return... when we had Kruger trying to set the edge.. and b) even then we did a decent job against the run FTMP... it's just we'd do excellent for two plays... then give up a big run on 3rd and 5... or we'd do well and then our inability to cover any TE has killed us and extended drives... or we'd do well and then the defense would pick up a key penalty to extend the drive... and repeat the pattern.

But with Suggs we're a whole different unit. Upshaw is doing his best JJ impression out there in run contain and his backside pursuit along with his awareness on reverses/etc. is really good. So it's not like our run defense is just poor. Our run defense even against the Texans was pretty solid... but of course Arian Foster had a couple plays where he went Arian Foster. Our gap integrity is much improved since the beginning of the season. Our run defense isn't the weakness of this defense any longer. It's actually- Crying or Very sad - the biggest strength of our defense at this point.

You'll likely see Heath Miller go off before you see Mendy/Dwyer go off. A shifty back like what you have in Rainey... might have some success exploiting cutbacks... just because Suggs ability to pursue than re-accelerate isn't where I'm sure he'd want it. His ability to plant and then get back going still isn't 100% so cutbacks to his side- could be more beneficial to take advantage of... assuming he doesn't track the ball carrier initially.

All that to say... the Steelers greatest hope of beating us is for Leftwich to make plays on 3rd down... I don't think he can't do that, but he's no Big Ben.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How can you say that this is NOT the strongest part of our defense:

I mean C'MON MAN! GOAT!

BlaqOptic wrote:
I'd say he's [Dennis Pitta] the fourth best TE in the division... Cameron > Miller > Gresham > Eiffert = Pitta
diamondbull424

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:

I mean C'MON MAN! GOAT!

And handsome too! He's dreammy... Drool

Wait, what..?? Anxious

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

diamondbull424 wrote:
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:

I mean C'MON MAN! GOAT!

Wait, what..?? Anxious

It's almost like he's just staring into your soul....like he can see right through me, into the deepest depths of my being.

Either that or he just doesn't know what "1, 2, 3...smile" means.

BlaqOptic wrote:
ravens_rool28

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
diamondbull424 wrote:
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:

I mean C'MON MAN! GOAT!

Wait, what..?? Anxious

It's almost like he's just staring into your soul....like he can see right through me, into the deepest depths of my being.

I think we should all make this our avatar in honor of our GOAT future HoF CB.

Ravens: 28
Those-who-shall-not-be-named: 10

BaltimoreTerp wrote:
Muy Oheribble

SteelProven

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

diamondbull424 wrote:
I won't argue that our defense as a whole can't be exposed. That I agree with. I just think that our inability to stop the run against the Chiefs and Cowboys... along with the first halves in some of our other games... hasn't properly been broken down. The stats say that per carry we're still a very good unit, so why the yards? I think its just important for people to realize that a) those out of hand games were generally before Suggs' return... when we had Kruger trying to set the edge.. and b) even then we did a decent job against the run FTMP... it's just we'd do excellent for two plays... then give up a big run on 3rd and 5... or we'd do well and then our inability to cover any TE has killed us and extended drives... or we'd do well and then the defense would pick up a key penalty to extend the drive... and repeat the pattern.

But with Suggs we're a whole different unit. Upshaw is doing his best JJ impression out there in run contain and his backside pursuit along with his awareness on reverses/etc. is really good. So it's not like our run defense is just poor. Our run defense even against the Texans was pretty solid... but of course Arian Foster had a couple plays where he went Arian Foster. Our gap integrity is much improved since the beginning of the season. Our run defense isn't the weakness of this defense any longer. It's actually- Crying or Very sad - the biggest strength of our defense at this point.

You'll likely see Heath Miller go off before you see Mendy/Dwyer go off. A shifty back like what you have in Rainey... might have some success exploiting cutbacks... just because Suggs ability to pursue than re-accelerate isn't where I'm sure he'd want it. His ability to plant and then get back going still isn't 100% so cutbacks to his side- could be more beneficial to take advantage of... assuming he doesn't track the ball carrier initially.

All that to say... the Steelers greatest hope of beating us is for Leftwich to make plays on 3rd down... I don't think he can't do that, but he's no Big Ben.

I'm not trying to discredit anything you saying because a player of Suggs caliber is sorely missed. But TOP is terrible defensively, 3rd down defense is bad, yards per play is bad and to top it all off the Ravens are not creating any turnovers.

Like I said it's been the offense carrying the Ravens and the defense has been along for the ride this season.

If the Ravens zoneblitz Leftwich and give him the quick outs it's going to be a long day for the Ravens. The Ravens should crowd the LOS, man up across the field and dare Leftwich and the Steelers to challenge them deep. I understand Leftwich hasn't started in a few years and the last time he started it was abysmal. But the level of talent he has trotting on the field minus A. Brown is pretty good compared to the rest of the league.

The key to the game for the Steelers is the trenches on both sides of the ball. They control the trenches they control the game and put themselves in a better position to win. These games have been so close as of late it's hard to predict a winner. But if I had to put it in percentages I'd give the Steelers a 51% chance of winning.

1. New offense
2. Improved OL play
3. Home field
4. Better offensive play caller
5. Defense with a lot to prove.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteelProven wrote:
diamondbull424 wrote:

I'm not trying to discredit anything you saying because a player of Suggs caliber is sorely missed. But TOP is terrible defensively, 3rd down defense is bad, yards per play is bad and to top it all off the Ravens are not creating any turnovers.

Like I said it's been the offense carrying the Ravens and the defense has been along for the ride this season.

If the Ravens zoneblitz Leftwich and give him the quick outs it's going to be a long day for the Ravens. The Ravens should crowd the LOS, man up across the field and dare Leftwich and the Steelers to challenge them deep. I understand Leftwich hasn't started in a few years and the last time he started it was abysmal. But the level of talent he has trotting on the field minus A. Brown is pretty good compared to the rest of the league.

The key to the game for the Steelers is the trenches on both sides of the ball. They control the trenches they control the game and put themselves in a better position to win. These games have been so close as of late it's hard to predict a winner. But if I had to put it in percentages I'd give the Steelers a 51% chance of winning.

1. New offense
2. Improved OL play
3. Home field
4. Better offensive play caller
5. Defense with a lot to prove.

Defensive TOP and 3rd down% are basically saying the same thing. If you can't get off the field, you're going to be on the field longer. I stated that, that has been an Achilles heal already.

But since Suggs return- just eye balling it (too lazy to look up stats on my phone) I'd say we've improved our 3rd down% by a good 5-10 percent... Which isn't to say we improved our average over the season... Which would take much longer to impact, but just on a game by game basis a 7% improvement probably is about what we've been able to accomplish.

Granted, we've played the Browns and Raiders, but lets not under value the QB position here. Leftwich is no franchise level QB. He's worse than both Carson Palmer and Brandon Weeden. With Leftwich at QB I would say the Steelers offense will be comparable to the level the Browns have displayed. The Browns also were able to keep Weeden clean. Leftwich doesn't have the benefit of knowing one of the best LTs in football protecting his blindside against Suggs.

The Browns are a top 10 defensive unit as well, one that creates more turnovers than the Steelers. If we could survive the Browns- I have faith in our ability to handle the Leftwich led Steelers offense. I think the Steelers main chance is if this is for some reason the game where Flacco decides to crap the bed and Cam Cameron decides not to put together a competent gameplan.

Personally I give the Steelers an outside chance. Something like 24-16, Ravens. Maybe a 35-40% chance of winning.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. You may have a new offense, but it's not like there isn't plenty of tape on it
2. Improvement from horrid = ? Plus, as was mentioned, Big Ben masks the play a bit
3. Home Field means nothing in this rivalry, IMO
4. When Cam is on, he's a great play caller... He's just off way too much.
5. Our D doesn't have something to prove?

BaltimoreTerp wrote:
Muy Oheribble

SteelProven

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

diamondbull424 wrote:
Defensive TOP and 3rd down% are basically saying the same thing. If you can't get off the field, you're going to be on the field longer. I stated that, that has been an Achilles heal already.

But since Suggs return- just eye balling it (too lazy to look up stats on my phone) I'd say we've improved our 3rd down% by a good 5-10 percent... Which isn't to say we improved our average over the season... Which would take much longer to impact, but just on a game by game basis a 7% improvement probably is about what we've been able to accomplish.

Granted, we've played the Browns and Raiders, but lets not under value the QB position here. Leftwich is no franchise level QB. He's worse than both Carson Palmer and Brandon Weeden. With Leftwich at QB I would say the Steelers offense will be comparable to the level the Browns have displayed. The Browns also were able to keep Weeden clean. Leftwich doesn't have the benefit of knowing one of the best LTs in football protecting his blindside against Suggs.

The Browns are a top 10 defensive unit as well, one that creates more turnovers than the Steelers. If we could survive the Browns- I have faith in our ability to handle the Leftwich led Steelers offense. I think the Steelers main chance is if this is for some reason the game where Flacco decides to crap the bed and Cam Cameron decides not to put together a competent gameplan.

Personally I give the Steelers an outside chance. Something like 24-16, Ravens. Maybe a 35-40% chance of winning.

Leftwich is comparable to Palmer and better than Weeden. The Steelers have a far better overall offense then either of those teams beyond the QBs.

The Ravens are a good offense and it's going to take the Steelers playing one of there better games to help pull this one out. But even though the Steelers haven't been creating turnovers and generating sacks like I'm accustomed to. That just shows me that they are playing amazing team defense.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ravens_rool28 wrote:
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
diamondbull424 wrote:
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:

I mean C'MON MAN! GOAT!

Wait, what..?? Anxious

I think we should all make this our avatar in honor of our GOAT future HoF CB.

Ravens: 28
Those-who-shall-not-be-named: 10

I'm in. If anyone wants to resize that and PM me the resized Avi I will sport it Very Happy

BlaqOptic wrote:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 19, 20, 21  Next
Page 3 of 21

Jump to: