Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

NFL conference realignment
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SuperDolfan13

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:20 pm    Post subject: NFL conference realignment Reply with quote

The past few years have been pretty crazy for college football conferences. We have seen some major changes, most recently Maryland leaving for the Big Ten. This got my thinking about the NFL conferences and divisions. I asked myself; If you had to change the NFL conferences how would you do it? This is what I came up with:

I divided the NFL into two conferences. Each conference has four divisions (exactly like today). I decided to divide the NFL into east and west instead of NFC and AFC. Each division got their own corny name for kicks and giggles. Divisions were chosen based on geographic location.

EASTERN CONFERENCE

Colonial Division
NE
NYG
NYJ
PHI

Iron Division
BUF
CLE
DET
PIT

Central Division
BAL
CIN
TEN
WAS

Southern Division
ATL
CAR
MIA
TB

WESTERN CONFERENCE

Pacific Division
OAK
SD
SF
SEA

Frontier Division
ARI
DEN
KC
STL

Gulf Division
DAL
HOU
JAC
NO

Great Lakes Division
CHI
GB
IND
MIN

I really like these divisions especially the Colonial (NE, NYJ,NYG, PHI). These are 3 major cities that are very close to each other. They are all large markets and have great sports traditions. I also like the Iron Div. The cities there are all blue-collar, rust-belt cities that have a tough mentality. It would be a good one to watch. I also like that DC and Baltimore share a division. Those cities would have a strong rivalry because they are so close. I like how I was able to keep the Cali, Texas and Missouri teams together. I was also able to keep two of the three Florida teams together. These conferences make more sense to me than the current ones because geographic proximity. For example my boys in Miami do not have to travel to the North East constantly for games with BUF, NYJ, and BUF.

Tell me what you think. I am interested to see how everyone else would realign the NFL.

^Props to Waldo
"So the last shall be first, and first shall be last." Matthew 20:16
sayheykid

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're breaking up some great divisional rivalries, and I don't see why many of these teams would give up their historic conference allegiances.

Last edited by sayheykid on Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jaguarfan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jax is more eastern than Cincinnati and Tennessee, but is in the western conference?

I hate the Jaguars
SuperDolfan13

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sayheykid wrote:
You're breaking up some great divisional rivalries.

Well one of the things I forgot to mention is that I made a rule for myself that each division had to change. Nothing was to be left the same. I agree though. The NFC north especially losing Detroit would kill some good rivalries that have existed for decades.

^Props to Waldo
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sayheykid wrote:
You're breaking up some great divisional rivalries, and I don't see why many of these teams would give up their historic conference allegiances.

This shouldnt be that big of a deal, new rivalries will form.
SuperDolfan13

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaguarfan wrote:
Jax is more eastern than Cincinnati and Tennessee, but is in the western conference?

Yes. It just happened to work out that way. The Jags are close to NO, Hou and Dallas. I would have like to put Jax with Miami and TB, but that would have left Carolina and Atlanta in an odd spot, and Hou, Dallas, and NO having to travel longer distances for divisional games based on how I had everything else. I would be glad to see how you would break them up tho! Smile

^Props to Waldo
sayheykid

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
sayheykid wrote:

Sort of. The Bucs have been in the NFC South for over a decade now and while we have good rivalries with the teams in the division part of me always still feels nostalgic for the old central division. Not that what we have now is bad, but it isn't the same.

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaguarfan wrote:
They're moving to Los Angeles, duh.

- Best since day one -
It may not be easy, but we ain't riding no tire fire merry-go-round.
- Gus Bradley
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sayheykid wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:
sayheykid wrote:

Sort of. The Bucs have been in the NFC South for over a decade now and while we have good rivalries with the teams in the division part of me always still feels nostalgic for the old central division. Not that what we have now is bad, but it isn't the same.

Give it another decade or two. Im sure it will come. Usually time is what creates rivalries.
SnA ExclusiVe

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They should rename the divisions after women, because that's quickly what this league is turning into; a league for sissies.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hate the great lakes... Getting rid of Detroit? What the heck! Just whhen they start to get good? But we keep the vikes? No, just no!

Detroit is an old blood franchise... Why not get rid of Chicago too! Not liking it, might curb my enthusiasm for the NFL if something as atrocious as that happened.
TheGreatZepp

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
They should rename the divisions after women, because that's quickly what this league is turning into; a league for sissies.
Well if that's the case why don't we just call it the NBA?

Great contribution, really added a lot to the discussion

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same market area teams like Dallas and Houston or the Jets and Giants are split into AFC/NFC because thats how the TV deals work. One network gets the "AFC games" and the other gets the "NFC games".

There is probably never going to be a sweeping realignment. The conferences are pretty well geographically and market balanced. I see no reason to reshuffle like this. It has many more minuses than pluses.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
SnA ExclusiVe

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheGreatZepp wrote:
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
Well if that's the case why don't we just call it the NBA?

Great contribution, really added a lot to the discussion

Glad I could help Cool

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: NFL conference realignment Reply with quote

SuperDolfan13 wrote:
The past few years have been pretty crazy for college football conferences. We have seen some major changes, most recently Maryland leaving for the Big Ten. This got my thinking about the NFL conferences and divisions. I asked myself; If you had to change the NFL conferences how would you do it? This is what I came up with:

I divided the NFL into two conferences. Each conference has four divisions (exactly like today). I decided to divide the NFL into east and west instead of NFC and AFC. Each division got their own corny name for kicks and giggles. Divisions were chosen based on geographic location.

EASTERN CONFERENCE

Colonial Division
NE
NYG
NYJ
PHI

Iron Division
BUF
CLE
DET
PIT

Central Division
BAL
CIN
TEN
WAS

Southern Division
ATL
CAR
MIA
TB

WESTERN CONFERENCE

Pacific Division
OAK
SD
SF
SEA

Frontier Division
ARI
DEN
KC
STL

Gulf Division
DAL
HOU
JAC
NO

Great Lakes Division
CHI
GB
IND
MIN

I really like these divisions especially the Colonial (NE, NYJ,NYG, PHI). These are 3 major cities that are very close to each other. They are all large markets and have great sports traditions. I also like the Iron Div. The cities there are all blue-collar, rust-belt cities that have a tough mentality. It would be a good one to watch. I also like that DC and Baltimore share a division. Those cities would have a strong rivalry because they are so close. I like how I was able to keep the Cali, Texas and Missouri teams together. I was also able to keep two of the three Florida teams together. These conferences make more sense to me than the current ones because geographic proximity. For example my boys in Miami do not have to travel to the North East constantly for games with BUF, NYJ, and BUF.

Tell me what you think. I am interested to see how everyone else would realign the NFL.

I would have mine like;

Pacific-West:
Seattle Seahawks
Oakland Raiders
San Francisco 49ers
Denver Broncos
Arizona Cardinals
San Diego Chargers
St.Louis Rams
Kansas City Chiefs

South-East:
Dallas Cowboys
Miami Dolphins
Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Jacksonville Jaguars
Atlanta Falcons
Carolina Panthers
New Orleans Saints

Atlantic-East:
Buffalo Bills
New England Patriots
New York Jets
New York Giants
Philadelphia Eagles
Baltimore Ravens
Pittsburgh Steelers
Cleveland Browns

North-Central:
Indianapolis Colts
Chicago Bears
Minnesota Vikings
Detroit Lions
Green Bay Packers
Tennessee Titans
Houston Texans
Cincinnati Bengals

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: