Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Blue Jays Acquire the Marlins for Prospects & Stuff
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nfldraftguru1

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Purple-Pride07 wrote:
nfldraftguru1 wrote:
Lolz I gotta chuckle out of the last part.

He's not useless, just nobody should be running trying to get him. He's nothing more than a slightly above replacement level backup.

I try. Cool

I think there's a disconnect between you and Rams, and I.
I'm not suggesting, nor have I, that he's anything more than slightly above replacement level, and I certainly am not suggesting, again nor have I, that he'd fetch a "significant prospect/player" as rams intimated.

What I am saying is he's spent two full seasons in the major league and has obvious upside that remains untapped. How much is there left to tap? The hell if we know, and it surely won't be anything noteworthy, but when healthy and performing to his abilities, I.e. a little more like 2011 and a little less like 2012, he can help, in-part, contribute to a ball club. Again, I think you're drastically mistaking what my point is if you think I'm arguing he'd be worth a good prospect or player.

Regardless, he quite obviously has more value to the team he's currently on than any team attempting to acquire him in a trade. And if he's dealt, I don't imagine it'd be for cash considerations or a player to be named, is all I'm saying. Whether that's what anyone feels he's worth, or not.

I'd say that's fair. He's worth a MR IMO. Probably a 1-1.5 WAR player if he played everyday.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

titans_5 wrote:
hes 26 years old, to say hes reached his potential and all you re gonna get is a 230 average with a 280 obp is as ridiculous and closed minded as saying hes going to be buster posey.

Arencibia is a decent catcher, a bit below average defensively, but watching him he did look like hes getting better as the season went on. His offense is fine.

Also for those of you saying that the skydome (rogers center) is a home run park. This is not true, its ranked 15th right in the middle of the league (HR rate 1.03). It just comes off as a conformational bias cause we have Joey and Edwin routinely launching taters over the right field fence.

yes i used espn, shoot me... the stats are all thats needed though..

http://espn.go.com/mlb/stats/parkfactor/_/sort/HRFactor

Rogers center is different for RH and LH hitters, though. It's a RHH ballpark, and a good one.

mission27 wrote:
Mesa_Titan is God.

#JDI
BillsGuy82

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nfldraftguru1 wrote:
Purple-Pride07 wrote:
nfldraftguru1 wrote:

He's not useless, just nobody should be running trying to get him. He's nothing more than a slightly above replacement level backup.

I try. Cool

I'm not suggesting, nor have I, that he's anything more than slightly above replacement level, and I certainly am not suggesting, again nor have I, that he'd fetch a "significant prospect/player" as rams intimated.

What I am saying is he's spent two full seasons in the major league and has obvious upside that remains untapped. How much is there left to tap? The hell if we know, and it surely won't be anything noteworthy, but when healthy and performing to his abilities, I.e. a little more like 2011 and a little less like 2012, he can help, in-part, contribute to a ball club. Again, I think you're drastically mistaking what my point is if you think I'm arguing he'd be worth a good prospect or player.

Regardless, he quite obviously has more value to the team he's currently on than any team attempting to acquire him in a trade. And if he's dealt, I don't imagine it'd be for cash considerations or a player to be named, is all I'm saying. Whether that's what anyone feels he's worth, or not.

I'd say that's fair. He's worth a MR IMO. Probably a 1-1.5 WAR player if he played everyday.

I'm gonna take wait and see approach with JPA. Us Jays fans feel he has a little more value than credited, Sabermetric fans feel he worthless, who knows.. According to AA, JPA is the starter come opening day.. If he gives us 20-25 HR's, and 60-70 RBI's and call a decent game, I'm happy
nfldraftguru1

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BillsGuy82 wrote:
nfldraftguru1 wrote:
Purple-Pride07 wrote:
nfldraftguru1 wrote:

I try. Cool

I'm gonna take wait and see approach with JPA. Us Jays fans feel he has a little more value than credited, Sabermetric fans feel he worthless, who knows.. According to AA, JPA is the starter come opening day.. If he gives us 20-25 HR's, and 60-70 RBI's and call a decent game, I'm happy

Please don't use RBI's...silly. Crying or Very sad

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mesa_Titan wrote:

Rogers center is different for RH and LH hitters, though. It's a RHH ballpark, and a good one.

http://www.parkfactors.com/TOR

where are you getting this information? Its a dome, and the dimensions are symetrical.. heres a link showing its a hitters park- 7th in the league based on 2008-2011 stats for park factors.

Im just really curious where you are getting that its an extreme RHH park.-- we have a lot of right handed sluggers yes..and over the years a lot of good right handed sluggers.. In 2009 Adam Lind had no problem hitting 30+ out... he hasnt replicated it since but thats a different story.... I have looked and found no statistical data to suggest that the park favours righties over lefties.

Im just really interested to know on what basis you make this claim
fishfan13

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It becomes a RHH park when EE and J-Bats are hitting 70 HR out the park.

Arencibia has a good chance of being a 25+ HR catcher. While his peripherals are not the greatest, how many catchers ever can boast that?

Adopt a Dolphin: Brandon Gibson
fishfan13

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nfldraftguru1 wrote:
BillsGuy82 wrote:
nfldraftguru1 wrote:
Purple-Pride07 wrote:
nfldraftguru1 wrote:

I try. Cool

Please don't use RBI's...silly. Crying or Very sad

RBIS's are dumb to judge a player.

But year to year its a great stat. It shows the result of what happened, not what could have happened.

Adopt a Dolphin: Brandon Gibson
titans_5

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fishfan13 wrote:
It becomes a RHH park when EE and J-Bats are hitting 70 HR out the park.

Arencibia has a good chance of being a 25+ HR catcher. While his peripherals are not the greatest, how many catchers ever can boast that?

this is exaclty what im saying. If EE or Bats were left handed their power wouldnt suffer any at the Skydome... its conformational bias.. nothing more, unless someone can produce a metric telling me otherwise.
Mesa_Titan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

titans_5 wrote:
Mesa_Titan wrote:

http://www.parkfactors.com/TOR

where are you getting this information? Its a dome, and the dimensions are symetrical.. heres a link showing its a hitters park- 7th in the league based on 2008-2011 stats for park factors.

Im just really curious where you are getting that its an extreme RHH park.-- we have a lot of right handed sluggers yes..and over the years a lot of good right handed sluggers.. In 2009 Adam Lind had no problem hitting 30+ out... he hasnt replicated it since but thats a different story.... I have looked and found no statistical data to suggest that the park favours righties over lefties.

Im just really interested to know on what basis you make this claim

Quote:
That being said, one promising piece of information is that despite Rogers Centre being symmetrical, the stadium has favored right-handed power hitters

http://www.stevepinto.com/Baseball_Related/Baseball_Stadium/21008.html

mission27 wrote:
Mesa_Titan is God.

#JDI
titans_5

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mesa_Titan wrote:

Quote:
That being said, one promising piece of information is that despite Rogers Centre being symmetrical, the stadium has favored right-handed power hitters

I think you misposted the link.. this just says its a hitters park nothing about the handedness of batters. ill take the quote as a grain of salt.. merely saying it favours a handedness doesnt suggest that anysort of data support this claim.

thanks for following up tho.. As a die hard jays fan and season ticket holder if you find more info on this please let me know .. im genuinely interested.
Mesa_Titan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

titans_5 wrote:
Mesa_Titan wrote:

Quote:

I think you misposted the link.. this just says its a hitters park nothing about the handedness of batters. ill take the quote as a grain of salt.. merely saying it favours a handedness doesnt suggest that anysort of data support this claim.

thanks for following up tho.. As a die hard jays fan and season ticket holder if you find more info on this please let me know .. im genuinely interested.

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/mlb/37265/165/park-factors?pg=2

That's the link. Don't know where I got that one from... Laughing

It doesn't reveal the stats, but it says that Rogers Centre, despite being symmetrical has favored RHH's for the past three years, and that article was written in January after the 2010 season.

Also, there's this.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/majors/season-preview/2012/2613072.html

Rogers Centre the highest HR per/AB in the majors for RHH's from 2009-2011

Quote:
Blue Jays third baseman Brett Lawrie stands poised for a breakthrough 2012 season, not least of all because his home park is tailored almost perfectly for his skills.

mission27 wrote:
Mesa_Titan is God.

#JDI
Purple-Pride07

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Toronto's Blue Jays Stadium is good for power hitters.

I don't remember the name switch. Laughing

#Toronto'sBlueJaysStadium

"When a team outgrows individual performance and learns team confidence, excellence becomes a reality."
--Joe Paterno.
Dr. Philly

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can never call it the Rogers Centre, its always the Skydome for me.

simonwayne wrote:
LeBron has done for the NBA what Teen Mom has done for teenage pregnancies

#JDI
titans_5

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr. Philly wrote:

This + 1000

did anyone see the round up interview of Johnson and Buck on DrunkJaysFans?

Buck had some really nice things to say about the jays and about reyes and bonifacio

http://blogs.thescore.com/djf/2012/11/21/johnson-and-buck-speak/#more-10906

also we now have a monopoly on the Isturi... signed cesar yesterday-- decent signing.. he will only see major league action in serious injury situations but should be good for buffalo... apparently a really slick fielder who cant do much with his bat.
nfldraftguru1

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

titans_5 wrote:
Dr. Philly wrote:

This + 1000

did anyone see the round up interview of Johnson and Buck on DrunkJaysFans?

Buck had some really nice things to say about the jays and about reyes and bonifacio

http://blogs.thescore.com/djf/2012/11/21/johnson-and-buck-speak/#more-10906

also we now have a monopoly on the Isturi... signed cesar yesterday-- decent signing.. he will only see major league action in serious injury situations but should be good for buffalo... apparently a really slick fielder who cant do much with his bat.

Watching him as a Brewer last year, there's nothing left in that tank. He's not even a good defender anymore, just averagish.

No big deal though, he won't play much if at all.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baseball All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23
Page 23 of 23

Jump to: