Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Courtney Upshaw
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
werds35

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:00 pm    Post subject: Courtney Upshaw Reply with quote

Hey guys. looks like you are having a great season! I hope you keep it up! unfortunately for me, I am a Jets fan. I do love Rice though!
I really liked Upshaw pre draft. was hoping the Jets would draft him. Was glad to see you guys get him. How is he working out?
diamondbull424

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Upshaw is doing about as well as we expected. He was dinged up throughout preseason so he sort of started the season off a little slow in his first game. But outside of this past Chiefs game, he looked like he was one of the better members of our front 7 IMO. He's been good at setting the edge (not elite), he's been getting good pressure off stunts, but not so much when matched up 1on1 with an OT (which is disappointing), and his best skillset is his pursuit. He does very well in his technical when breaking through the LOS along the opposite side, staying parallel with the LOS and making the play before running backs get many yards. But with that pursuit, he's been able to maintain discipline and not over-pursue plays. He has the instincts you look for in recognizing trick plays, screen passes, etc.

I don't want to end this on a negative note, but the other negative in his play has been his conditioning. He tends to do really well when he's got a full tank, but he wears down and can't be that 100% snaps kind of guy, he's more of a 70% snaps kind of guy depending on the tempo.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

diamondbull424 wrote:
Upshaw is doing about as well as we expected. He was dinged up throughout preseason so he sort of started the season off a little slow in his first game. But outside of this past Chiefs game, he looked like he was one of the better members of our front 7 IMO. He's been good at setting the edge (not elite), he's been getting good pressure off stunts, but not so much when matched up 1on1 with an OT (which is disappointing), and his best skillset is his pursuit. He does very well in his technical when breaking through the LOS along the opposite side, staying parallel with the LOS and making the play before running backs get many yards. But with that pursuit, he's been able to maintain discipline and not over-pursue plays. He has the instincts you look for in recognizing trick plays, screen passes, etc.

I don't want to end this on a negative note, but the other negative in his play has been his conditioning. He tends to do really well when he's got a full tank, but he wears down and can't be that 100% snaps kind of guy, he's more of a 70% snaps kind of guy depending on the tempo.

Perfect response.

Upshaw isn't overly explosive, but he's a sound player with good instincts and an impressive football IQ. I don't expect him to make splash plays on a consistent basis anytime soon, but he should continue to be a key impact player on our D. I like how he fits.

Appreciate the best wishes, btw, werds35.

Bernard "Crush Boy" Pollard- Forever a Raven

El Ramster on the sig that isn't going anywhere
werds35

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good news! Thanks guys. good luck the rest of the way!
dcarey20

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DB pretty much hit all the relevant points with Upshaw.

He hasn't been dominating or making huge plays that will get him the limelight, but I've been really happy with him thus far.

Plays the run well, has shown the potential to hold it down on the edge (a la Jarret Johnson), and he's been around the ball alot.

I would like to see him be a bit stronger as a straight up pass rusher, but that's not really who he is. Regardless, the pass rush will develop over time. He's fit in really well and I'm not sure if he'll ever be that JPP superstar type edge rusher, but he's just rock solid all around.
coordinator0

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I was hoping for in Upshaw is an upgraded version of Jarret Johnson. I think he's on the right path to become that. Upshaw is not a dynamic pass-rusher nor did I ever expect that out of him. Based on how he has played thus far it looks like the Ravens made a smart pick. Of course both Cordy Glenn and Stephen Hill (when healthy, and those two were the most discussed/hoped for pick along with Upshaw) have been good too but OLB has emerged as the much bigger need.

Once he gets his conditioning in order I think that will help quite a bit and he might even be a bit better rushing the passer 1-on-1. There have been a few Tweets over the season alluding to Upshaw being overweight. The last one I remember said that he was down to 270 and that's heavy for an OLB (even in a 3-4).
bmore4life815

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coordinator0 wrote:
What I was hoping for in Upshaw is an upgraded version of Jarret Johnson. I think he's on the right path to become that. Upshaw is not a dynamic pass-rusher nor did I ever expect that out of him. Based on how he has played thus far it looks like the Ravens made a smart pick. Of course both Cordy Glenn and Stephen Hill (when healthy, and those two were the most discussed/hoped for pick along with Upshaw) have been good too but OLB has emerged as the much bigger need.

Once he gets his conditioning in order I think that will help quite a bit and he might even be a bit better rushing the passer 1-on-1. There have been a few Tweets over the season alluding to Upshaw being overweight. The last one I remember said that he was down to 270 and that's heavy for an OLB (even in a 3-4).

Couldn't agree more. He's not oozing with upside or anything, but I feel he's definitely going to end up being a solid, consistent player for his career.

Bernard "Crush Boy" Pollard- Forever a Raven

El Ramster on the sig that isn't going anywhere
STrid

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like what I've seen so far from him too. He has been doing good against the run, ranking in at 5th according to PFF, which support what most of us think of him. In that regard he's acting like a new Jarret Johnson. Hopefully he can become a better passrusher over time, but right now he has done quite poorly in that regard.

A guy I think has been doing really well this year though is Albert McClellan. Granted most of his good plays came against the Eagles and he hasn't played much besides that, but I really like what I've seen from him.

^Et billede siger mere end tusind ord!
diamondbull424

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

STrid wrote:
I like what I've seen so far from him too. He has been doing good against the run, ranking in at 5th according to PFF, which support what most of us think of him. In that regard he's acting like a new Jarret Johnson. Hopefully he can become a better passrusher over time, but right now he has done quite poorly in that regard.

A guy I think has been doing really well this year though is Albert McClellan. Granted most of his good plays came against the Eagles and he hasn't played much besides that, but I really like what I've seen from him.

I've been wondering about that lately.

I don't understand why he's seemed to be less impactful since that game. He looked pretty darn good against Cincy. Then he had a nice game against the Eagles when Kruger was out. But with Kruger/Upshaw back as the main heads on the field and with McClellan seemingly seeing more time against the run, than in week 1... I haven't noticed him standing out as much.

Hopefully he can get back to making some impact plays. If he can pick his play back up, we could really justify sitting Suggs for as long as possible before re-instituting him back into the lineup.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

diamondbull424 wrote:
STrid wrote:

I've been wondering about that lately.

I don't understand why he's seemed to be less impactful since that game. He looked pretty darn good against Cincy. Then he had a nice game against the Eagles when Kruger was out. But with Kruger/Upshaw back as the main heads on the field and with McClellan seemingly seeing more time against the run, than in week 1... I haven't noticed him standing out as much.

Hopefully he can get back to making some impact plays. If he can pick his play back up, we could really justify sitting Suggs for as long as possible before re-instituting him back into the lineup.

Perhaps everything just happened to go right for him in those games. As far as I know his playing time has decreased some since then, for whatever reason, but I don't know if that should make him play worse.

Overall though I'm not expecting that much more from him. He was a very late round pick I think (Undrafted perhaps, cant remember) and is limited athletically. Just like Upshaw I see him in that JJ mold where he could possibly turn into a nice runstopper with some passrushing ability.

drd23

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

STrid wrote:
Overall though I'm not expecting that much more from him. He was a very late round pick I think (Undrafted perhaps, cant remember) and is limited athletically. Just like Upshaw I see him in that JJ mold where he could possibly turn into a nice runstopper with some passrushing ability.

Albert McClellan was an UDFA DE out of Marshall

Stone85 & mike23md on the sig!
coordinator0

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

McClellan kind of reminds me of McClain without the big special teams plays the latter had in his rookie season. Similar sorts of players with similar backgrounds coming out of college. I'm not really expecting him to be a big part of the rotation in the future but right now without Suggs I'm surprised he's not getting on the field more. It seems like this team just has something against an OLB rotation.
STrid

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

coordinator0 wrote:
McClellan kind of reminds me of McClain without the big special teams plays the latter had in his rookie season. Similar sorts of players with similar backgrounds coming out of college. I'm not really expecting him to be a big part of the rotation in the future but right now without Suggs I'm surprised he's not getting on the field more. It seems like this team just has something against an OLB rotation.

He has been on the field for 172 snaps. That is 20 fewer than McClain and about the same as Kemo.

coordinator0

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/snapcounts

Football Outsiders has him at 169 but still 20 fewer than McClain and tied with Kemoeatu. Weird. Anyways, that's tied for the third fewest defensive snaps of the players in the regular defensive rotation (ahead of Jones and Cody) and 98 of those 169 snaps came in the first 2 games.

http://russellstreetreport.com/filmstudy-defensive-notes-vs-chiefs-10712/

Quote:
McClellan got surprisingly little play despite his solid edge setting to date. He did not play at all on the last 4 drives.

Things like that are what catch my eye.
SnA ExclusiVe

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

McClellan was playing so well for us, I don't know why we don't put him as the starter (maybe we will this week) since our run game is struggling and he's a good edge setter and run stopper.

BlaqOptic wrote:
I'd say he's [Dennis Pitta] the fourth best TE in the division... Cameron > Miller > Gresham > Eiffert = Pitta

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: