Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Hunt/Schottenheimer visit

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Kansas City Chiefs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jimmydee

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:38 pm    Post subject: Hunt/Schottenheimer visit Reply with quote

I expected to see this all over the board this AM, but nothing. Any body care to speculate? Rolling Eyes
brawl.kc

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rumor started by a caller to a talk radio station. There really is no validity to it whatsoever. Until I see somebody tweeting it out that isn't local media, I'm not buying it.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will try and find the link to the article that included quotes from Shottenheimer, but from what I remember in the article he is not interested in coaching (atleast that was his comment), and he was complimentary to Romeo Crennel (politically correct of course). The part that concerned me was that he stressed not making any rushed moves and to show patience. I am really hoping that we clean the front office and coaching staff this offseason and don't piddle around with little tweaks here and there.

I think the issue is beyond tweaking the roster here and there because as I mentioned in the evaluation of Pioli thread, I disagree with his micromanagement of all things related to the team.

Thanks to ryknowssd for the sig!

Trent Baalke for 2013 NFL executive of the year.
jimmydee

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With Marty's over all geneal extensive exerience in the NFL, but with NO GM experience, would he be good material for that job IF it should open up.....PLEASE!!!!!
nicfre2011

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimmydee wrote:
With Marty's over all geneal extensive exerience in the NFL, but with NO GM experience, would he be good material for that job IF it should open up.....PLEASE!!!!!

I would rather we go for a younger GM candidate like Marc Ross.

I am not really big on the Parcells-effect.

jimmydee

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nic, I'd be down with Ross, but absent a new GM with much less ego and more desire to deleniate responsibility, we're screwed. You apparently can't even so much as make a quarter turn on a screw in this organization without immediate micromanagement from Pioli. When it works, he takes credit, when it doesn't, well.......

Ross with the same HC only fixes a portion of the problem. When I was much, much younger, I always liked working for a guy that let me get away with stuff....best friend sorta boss. Romeo, anyone?

When I became the boss, I tried that approach and it failed miserable. Lesson learned. As a boss, I would much rather be respected than liked. Being liked is a plus when everything begins to go right. Since the change in approach, by most standards, I have become succesful, and have a stack of applications from people in competing companies wanting to work for me. Not because I am "liked" but because I am fair, demand a degree of commitment and excellent and reward those who perform without regard to seniority. I think this is the type HC these kids need.

Not touting my success, but in every business that I know of that works, this is the model. Your thoughts.
nicfre2011

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimmydee wrote:
Nic, I'd be down with Ross, but absent a new GM with much less ego and more desire to deleniate responsibility, we're screwed. You apparently can't even so much as make a quarter turn on a screw in this organization without immediate micromanagement from Pioli. When it works, he takes credit, when it doesn't, well.......

Ross with the same HC only fixes a portion of the problem. When I was much, much younger, I always liked working for a guy that let me get away with stuff....best friend sorta boss. Romeo, anyone?

When I became the boss, I tried that approach and it failed miserable. Lesson learned. As a boss, I would much rather be respected than liked. Being liked is a plus when everything begins to go right. Since the change in approach, by most standards, I have become succesful, and have a stack of applications from people in competing companies wanting to work for me. Not because I am "liked" but because I am fair, demand a degree of commitment and excellent and reward those who perform without regard to seniority. I think this is the type HC these kids need.

Not touting my success, but in every business that I know of that works, this is the model. Your thoughts.

jd,
By no means do I think that Crennel would be retained by a new GM like Ross for example. I have to believe someone like Ross would want to personally take part in an interview process with candidates. Maybe Crennel would be included in the interview process as a candidate (which would probably be the first step if Crennel had any chance and it would be called an "evaluation" but in reality, Crennel would be essentially interviewing for the position) and maybe Ross would want to go in a completely different direction. Either way, I see Ross looking strongly at making an evaluation of what candidates are out there and which ones are good fits and which ones are not.

Regarding Pioli, I went on a diatribe in the "Pioli evaluation" thread so I won't bore everyone by rehashing that. But I will tie in to that take by saying I think the key in this day and age of management (which I think also includes sports management) really requires an NFL front office (especially the GM) to collaborate with the coaching staff (especially the head coach) on player personnel decisions and the draft. All parties need to be on the same page and the GM should understand that the coaching staff that he has assembled SHOULD know just as much if not more on schemes, etc. So in my opinion even though I mentioned the collaborative effort, ultimately the GM is responsible for the decision-making but would do well to take opinions and input from his coaching staff.

In a nutshell it is my opinion that Pioli tends to have everything planned out to the minute detail and then proceeds to find coaches and personnel that will fit into his preconceived direction. I don't think the coaches have alot of latitude to provide input that varies from the course Pioli has already determined as the "correct" direction (again, down to the nitty-gritty details, aka micromanagement).

jimmydee

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well spoken Nic, and I could not agree more. Do you see Crennell being considered as a DC in light of ONE game with the new guy calling Def. signals?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Kansas City Chiefs All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: