Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Forum Interview Returns! A conversation with the cattleman
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ReggieCamp

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:14 pm    Post subject: Forum Interview Returns! A conversation with the cattleman Reply with quote

It's been years since we did a forum interview, so I decided to take a few minutes with a poster who has been with us a long time (both on the forum and on this planet Smile ), cattleman78! Cattleman has seen more than just about all of us, so I wanted to get his opinion on some things, as well as get to know him a little better. Here's the interview.

So cattleman, you’re known as the elder statesman around these parts, but most of us don’t know the details. Give us the facts, man. Age, kids, grandkids, etc.

61 years old. 5 kids. A girl on each end and 3 boys in the middle. 9 Grandkids and 1 on the way. Been married to the same beautiful woman for 41 years oh my goodness today. Uh oh I forgot about that. Nov. 12th. I better do something real fast.

Haha. Your anniversary is the same day as my birthday. Just to clarify, I'm turning 44, so I was 3 years old on your wedding day. Thank you for making me feel young.

Is your family full of Browns fans, or have we lost them to the dark side?

Oldest boys are Brown's fans. Youngest is a Steeler fan.

Rumor or Fact, part 1. I thought I remember reading that you were at the Browns’ last championship win in 1964. Rumor or fact?

No wasn't at the game but watched it on T.V. I was 13 yrs. old and only just becoming a big Brown's fan. Gary Collins three touch down catches. Lou the toe Groza two field goals. Browns 27 Colts 0. Jim Brown. Also always remember how announcers bragged up John Wooten and Gene Hickerson our two guards. Boy they could both pull. Halftime it was 0-0.

Rumor or Fact, part 2. Rumor has it that you had a hand in naming one of your grandchildren Joseph Thomas. Rumor or fact?

Rumor but if my next grandchild is a boy I'm going to suggest it. Thanks for the idea. Everyone knows big Joe is my favorite.

You follow the draft and college prospects as closely as anyone on our forum. What’s the draw for you, and how long have you been following the draft?

Well I really started following it heavy the year we had two first rounders and drafted a couple of great players in Clay Matthews and Ozzie Newsome. Hope Richardson and Weeden follow in their foot steps. Bear Bryant coached Newsome at Alabama and said he was the best player he ever coached. Quite an accolade. Back than Clay and Ozzie were my favorite players. The draw is when we draft someone I like. I tend to see how some I like are doing on other teams. Like to discuss on here also. Just a great forum.

Who are some of your favorite college prospects for the Browns this year?

D. Moore d.e., Dion Jordan d.e., J. Banks c.b., M. Te'o l.b., and Jarvis Jones o.l.b. Also like Luke Joeckel o.t., C. Warmack o.g. and Jake Matthews o.t. but don't want to draft them. Third round I like Tony Jefferson f.s., Ziggy Ansah d.e. and Terry Hawthorne c.b. Keep an eye on Brian Winters Kent State. He is going to make someone a good guard.

I know you love to fish. If you could go on a fishing trip with any 5 people, who would you choose?

My late Dad would be number one. Guess I'm like Joe Thomas there.
My three sons and Joe Thomas. Maybe have him whip my youngest son to become a Brown's fan. All like to fish. I'll always cherish my last fishing trip with my dad. He had a hard time walking and getting in the boat. We had to help him. He enjoyed the trip immensely and thanked me several times for taking him. We ate a lot of walleye and it seemed after every bite he said mmm, mmm,mmm. He knew he didn't have long to go. That trip has a lot of good memories even though it was sad because I knew the man that taught me so much about life wasn't going to be around much. God sure blessed me with him.

Walleye or perch?

Taste wise either. Walleye are bigger so more fun to catch. This year we caught a lot of saugeye at Indian Lake. A cross between Walleye and Sauger.

Give us your first impressions of Jimmy Haslam.

Energetic,smart,fan friendly and wants a super bowl win just as much as we do. Watching him at games on t.v. he is just like us happy or disappointed.

Why do you tolerate all of us whippersnappers on this forum?

Because most are good people and I respect their opinions even if I disagree somewhat. Only negative I see is sometimes some people drive other good posters off of here. I'm thinking of two posters here. One wanted Jimmy Claussen at q.b. and some posters brought that up way to often. Same with the kid that wanted Calvin Johnson. I think he was also the one that said he overheard something in the rest room. I'm not going to name them but both were very good posters. Some hall of fame posters don't post much or ever. Hey sometimes you got to let it go. I'd hate every mistake I made in life brought up. I'm the type when a poster disappears I wonder if he is doing okay. You almost become friends with them. Half of my most heated arguements are with Mistake by the lake but I still consider him a friend. He's young and foolish. Just kidding about that. I just know we all want to improve the Brown's and go about it a different way.

Thanks for interviewing me and you are one of the good ones.

Thank you, cattleman! Have some questions of your own? Post them here.

Adopt-a-Brown: Desmond Bryant
2013 Stats (10 games): 24 Tkls, 3.5 Sacks, 2 Stuffs, 1 PD
elfman55

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great post. Shows 1 of the great BROWNS fan we have on here. Great job Reggie & congrads to a great BROWNS fan, cattleman78.

elfman
Reginaldm9

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cattleman78, what do you think about the changes Haslem has promised to make in terms of the more traditional elements of the Browns? (uniform, cheerleaders, etc.)

buno67 wrote:
I wonder why his cough was so bad that he needed the codeine? I betcha it was from hitting the bong to many nights in a row.
cattleman78

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reginaldm9 wrote:
Cattleman78, what do you think about the changes Haslem has promised to make in terms of the more traditional elements of the Browns? (uniform, cheerleaders, etc.)

Uniforms should be changed. A little more flashy. Leave the helmets alone. No decals. Cheerleaders heck yes. He needs to be a little more lenient on the standing policy. Lower prices at concession stands. Have something like dollar hot dogs once a year. Cheap hot chocolate late in the season would be great. Main thing produce wins. He and Banner have to get the new hires right. I hope he realizes we have a good core of players.

Adopted Brown Tashaun Gipson safety
vs. g.bay 7 tackles,2 asst. tackles and 1 pass defended
TeHDruiD

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great interview, got kind of emotional reading about the fishing story. Good stuff

Also happy birthday Reggie (belated?)
Reginaldm9

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cattleman78 wrote:
Reginaldm9 wrote:

Uniforms should be changed. A little more flashy. Leave the helmets alone. No decals. Cheerleaders heck yes. He needs to be a little more lenient on the standing policy. Lower prices at concession stands. Have something like dollar hot dogs once a year. Cheap hot chocolate late in the season would be great. Main thing produce wins. He and Banner have to get the new hires right. I hope he realizes we have a good core of players.

Thanks for your input! I just wanted to get the opinion of another Browns fan graced with the presence of age. My dad's a fairly traditional guy and been a fan all his life and wants a complete overhaul of the uniforms. There's something special about being able to remember a Cleveland team that wins, and I thought older fans would want to keep with the tradition.

buno67 wrote:
I wonder why his cough was so bad that he needed the codeine? I betcha it was from hitting the bong to many nights in a row.
bulldog

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love reading about other posters on the site like this. Great job Reg and thanks for the interview C-man!

The part about posters on here being like friends made me feel like this was appropriate.

ditchdigger

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question: Do you eat the fish you catch in Indian Lake?
Drew_Carey

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool....

Ad my uncle and aunt live on Indian lake right next to the moose. I ve seen what goes in that water at night... Haha
cattleman78

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ditchdigger wrote:
Question: Do you eat the fish you catch in Indian Lake?

Yes. Actually Indian Lake has been cleaned up pretty well. Only eat fish about every two weeks. Good campsites with plenty of shade. Indian Lake now has a minimum 15 inches on saugeye. We troll with floating Rapalas. Catch a lot of white bass in the spring. We Don't eat the white bass though. Didn't even go to Lake Erie this year for walleye. Why go when 20 miles away we catch plenty of saugeyes. My three sons and my three brothers are planning a fly in trip to Canada either in 2014 or 15. Most have solar showers anymore.

NateDawg

Most Valuable Poster (3rd Ballot)
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good stuff, cattleman.

I was out at Indian Lake late this summer. I was out there running the waverunner around the lake, though.

My dad grew up around Indian Lake, in West Liberty, OH and like you, would go out there to catch some nice fish.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys are making me homesick. Grew up in and around Bellefontaine, so I too have fished at Indian lake. I preferred the little conservation club in West Mansfield, you had to deal with bluegill, but it gave me something to do when nothing was biting.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really enjoyed this, question for cattleman- how did you come up with your user name? And thoughts on Te'o being a high draft pick for us?

R.I.P Crackburn, always in our hearts
adopt a Brown: Davone Bess - The best- one catch, one first down--- never mind person foul takes away! arrghhh Reg on the SIG
cattleman78

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FLAbrownfan wrote:
I really enjoyed this, question for cattleman- how did you come up with your user name? And thoughts on Te'o being a high draft pick for us?

I used to raise cattle with my brother. May seem funny but I enjoyed being around cattle. I guess part of it I love western movies. A good web site for westerns is westerns on the web. Plenty of old movies and old western t.v. series. I guess the old west is romantic to me but that life back than had to be a very hard life.

Manti Te'o I like quite a bit. Don't know if it makes much sense in drafting him as we have Jackson and a lot of young backers. Also Gocong will be back most likely. Truthfully I'm not as high on Jackson as some on here are. He is a team leader though. I could live with Te'o if we pick 7th or lower. I don't really want him top 5. Saying that though Te'o will make some team happy. Maybe even us.

FLAbrownfan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cattleman78 wrote:
FLAbrownfan wrote:

I used to raise cattle with my brother. May seem funny but I enjoyed being around cattle. I guess part of it I love western movies. A good web site for westerns is westerns on the web. Plenty of old movies and old western t.v. series. I guess the old west is romantic to me but that life back than had to be a very hard life.

Manti Te'o I like quite a bit. Don't know if it makes much sense in drafting him as we have Jackson and a lot of young backers. Also Gocong will be back most likely. Truthfully I'm not as high on Jackson as some on here are. He is a team leader though. I could live with Te'o if we pick 7th or lower. I don't really want him top 5. Saying that though Te'o will make some team happy. Maybe even us.

Cool- what's your favorite western movie?

R.I.P Crackburn, always in our hearts
adopt a Brown: Davone Bess - The best- one catch, one first down--- never mind person foul takes away! arrghhh Reg on the SIG

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: