Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Early Viking Mocks
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vikefan79

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:07 am    Post subject: Early Viking Mocks Reply with quote

Here's some mock drafts from some other draft sites just to give everyone an idea of where other people see us drafting. I find it interesting none of them have us picking a guard or wide receiver in the first round.

http://walterfootball.com/draft2013_1.php

LB Alec Ogletree - 20

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/mock

DE Alex Okafor or DT John Jenkins - 18

http://www.mynfldraft.com/NFL-Mock-Draft

DT Sylvester Williams - 17

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1444048-2013-nfl-mock-draft-incredible-choices-for-every-nfl-franchise

LB Alec Ogletree - 20

http://www.draftsite.com/nfl/mock-draft/2013/

DT Sylvester Williams - 17
LostRoadStone

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Alec Ogletree, moreso as a weak side backer than the mike, but I simply can't see the Vikings passing on Keenan Allen.

Quote:
DISCLAIMER: I am not a sports agent, a player, a coach, or an NFL front office executive and I don't play one on TV. So basically, there's a good chance I'm full of BS, but maybe not...
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LostRoadStone wrote:
I like Alec Ogletree, moreso as a weak side backer than the mike, but I simply can't see the Vikings passing on Keenan Allen.

Ogletree is a good fit at Cover 2 MLB, get a big DT in front of him I think he will be fine.

Ogletree could even be a WLB in base, and move to MLB in nickel if the team wants to keep Brinkley in the middle.
this providence

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Sly Williams a bit, but at this stage I think it may be a tad early in the process to peg him around the Vikings' first round pick. At this stage I'd prefer at least 5 other defensive tackles over him so it's hard to say that value is there, for me anyway.

As for a LB at their first round pick, I guess I'd want to see their splits and what they run at the combine before looking that direction as well.

If Dee Milliner falls to where he is at in a few of these mocks, I think that's a player the Vikings should target with a trade up. The CB position in general, is one that I think should not be over-looked to the point it is around this forum. At the top of this draft there's some very projectable corners at the next level given their movement and length. Good CB draft, in my opinion.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right now I have a couple DT ahead of DT Sylvester Williams.
On the LB front, I prefer to go with C.J. Mosley, ILB over Alec Ogletree, ILB

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CriminalMind wrote:
Right now I have a couple DT ahead of DT Sylvester Williams.
On the LB front, I prefer to go with C.J. Mosley, ILB over Alec Ogletree, ILB

I like the idea of Louis Nix in round 1, over a MLB, if the Vikings are in the 15-18 range. 15-18 might not be good value for a MLB, but there should be a few intriguiting DT options. Plug Nix in the middle at NT, I think he can give the team the big body in he middle to take up space. Nix seems rather disruptive for a 1 tech player as well. If MN is in the top 20, Id probably prefer to get good value and take a DT but if MN trades out, i would then consider a MLB.

Generally, I dont think you need to spend a high pick on a MLB to get an impact player. Its difficult to find big bodies that can move, and I think we will see a run of DTs because of it.

If Kevin Williams resigns, that 3 tech spot is filled for the time being, but the defense needs a replacement for Guion. Just like they need a replacement for Brinkley and/or Henderson.
CriminalMind

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do like going DT in Round 1, if we stay put (17-20):

This is my DT rankings thus far:

Star Lotulelei, DT
Johnathan Hankins, DT
Louis Nix, DT
Sheldon Richardson, DT
Jonathan Jenkins, DT

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think they could go wrong with a DT, OG, or LB at this point. All three of those positions are woefully undermanned right now, and there are good players at each of those positions.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CriminalMind wrote:

Star Lotulelei, DT
Johnathan Hankins, DT
Louis Nix, DT
Sheldon Richardson, DT
Jonathan Jenkins, DT

If Williams is resigned, I would cross Richardson off the list. He really wouldnt have a spot on the team.

Any one of those other players could fill the spot next to Williams though. I would rather take Nix over Jenkins though simply because I think Nix is more disruptive and has the potential to be more than just a big bodied run defender like Pat Williams. Problem though, Nix will be a highly valued prospect in both a 3-4 (DE) and 4-3 (DT).
CriminalMind

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
CriminalMind wrote:

Star Lotulelei, DT
Johnathan Hankins, DT
Louis Nix, DT
Sheldon Richardson, DT
Jonathan Jenkins, DT

If Williams is resigned, I would cross Richardson off the list. He really wouldnt have a spot on the team.

Any one of those other players could fill the spot next to Williams though. I would rather take Nix over Jenkins though simply because I think Nix is more disruptive and has the potential to be more than just a big bodied run defender like Pat Williams. Problem though, Nix will be a highly valued prospect in both a 3-4 (DE) and 4-3 (DT).

These are just my rankings as of now. They will change from the MIN POV after the free agency period, if we decide to not keep K-Will or bring in someone else via FA.

I have a hard time seeing Nix not being available at our pick selection though. I think Sheldon will be picked before Nix by another team.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CriminalMind wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:
CriminalMind wrote:

Star Lotulelei, DT
Johnathan Hankins, DT
Louis Nix, DT
Sheldon Richardson, DT
Jonathan Jenkins, DT

These are just my rankings as of now. They will change from the MIN POV after the free agency period, if we decide to not keep K-Will or bring in someone else via FA.

I have a hard time seeing Nix not being available at our pick selection though. I think Sheldon will be picked before Nix by another team.

To me, Cox = Richardson and Brockers = Nix. I think that is how they will be viewed and valued come draft day. Both should be mid first round picks who could potentially move up the boards. Though last year there werent prospects like Hankins and Star so who knows how that effects DTs after him.
Kellerman

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Early Viking Mocks Reply with quote

Vikefan79 wrote:
Here's some mock drafts from some other draft sites just to give everyone an idea of where other people see us drafting. I find it interesting none of them have us picking a guard or wide receiver in the first round.

Just a caveat, those mockers change their minds constantly. For example, a few weeks ago the walterfootball mock has us picking Justin Hunter in the 1st.

Not going after a guard in the 1st, the year after picking Kalil at #4, seems like a given.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Early Viking Mocks Reply with quote

Kellerman wrote:
Vikefan79 wrote:

Just a caveat, those mockers change their minds constantly. For example, a few weeks ago the walterfootball mock has us picking Justin Hunter in the 1st.

Not going after a guard in the 1st, the year after picking Kalil at #4, seems like a given.

I only really see three true first round needs for this team: DT, LB and WR.

I cannot find any reason to contemplate taking an OG in round 1, id rather load up on talent at CB, S, or DE than take a round 1 OG. Historically, OG is usually one of the least valuable positions to take in round 1. A great OG is something you dont need to find in round 1 and looking at the top OGs in the league the past decade, there havent been many first round pick OGs. Unlike so many other positions where it is necessary to use an early pick on a player to find talent.

Basically, any mock will either give the Vikings a DT, LB or WR and that is pretty easy to speculate at this point. I hope one of those positions can be filled in free agency with an above average starter, so the team can fill its needs and take an OG somewhere in round 3 or 4.
wcblack34

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that if they're going to stick with Ponder next year, the #1 priority has to be giving him a big-time target outside at receiver. Even with a great defense, there are going to be times where he has to throw the ball to give the team a chance, which means he's probably going to need a guy who can bail him out from time to time. None of the guys on the roster are really that type of receiver.

Unless the value just isn't there when we pick, I don't see how WR isn't the top priority on draft day.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wcblack34 wrote:
I think that if they're going to stick with Ponder next year, the #1 priority has to be giving him a big-time target outside at receiver. Even with a great defense, there are going to be times where he has to throw the ball to give the team a chance, which means he's probably going to need a guy who can bail him out from time to time. None of the guys on the roster are really that type of receiver.

Unless the value just isn't there when we pick, I don't see how WR isn't the top priority on draft day.

Agreed, positionally nothing is more essential for this team than a WR. However, the value may simply not be there. Id rather get a great valued defensive prospect than reach for a WR. I dont find myself very interested in the round 1 WRs. I like Hunter and Allen but i see those two as nearly top 15 locks. I like both more than Blackmon last year and WR is always a popular need.

After those two, Williams Patterson and Hamilton are other players I would consider. Williams is the next mid first round option, Patterson and Hamilton are probably reaches in the top 20. Hopkins could be a decent end of round 1 type prospect, though id like a player with more size. I dont want anything to do with Robert Woods, I dont really see him as a good fit as a perimeter receiver.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: