Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Curry Watch: 2 Days Remain
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jamethus92

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:37 pm    Post subject: Curry Watch: 2 Days Remain Reply with quote

The team has a decision to make regarding Aaron Curry. Three days left to either activate him, put him on IR, or cut him.

He signed a 5 year, 16.5 million dollar contract in March. 2.5 million guarantee. His 2013 number jumps to 3 million plus 500k roster bonus, the rest are voidable years.

What should we do? Who gets cut for him? Where does he fit going forward with Wheeler and Burris playing at their current level?

Last edited by Jamethus92 on Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Darkness

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We should keep him as depth at least. I read that Travis Goethal wasn't active last week. If he's not going to suit up, might as well give the spot to Curry.

With Bartell getting healthy though, I think Francies will get the boot.
oakdb36

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Activate him. Cut Keenan Clayton. He'll give us leverage to negotiate with Wheeler and could end up being a cheaper option than McClain as a 2 down MLB.
We could still cut him after the season if necessary.
NickButera

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curry showed some flashes last year. With this years defensive coaching staff, it's reasonable to hope that Curry could very well blossom into what Wheeler has become. He's also spent his down time to learn all 3 linebacker positions. The kids smart, great character and he loves the game of football. I don't see someone like this getting the ax from McKenzie. Unless his injury is much more severe than initially thought, I see him staying with the team in some capacity.

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be.
Also, my short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be.
Chali21

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he could be ir'd. We don't really need him and we have more pressing needs at CB.
TiberiusRising

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly I think they are just waiting until they can activate Bartell so they can move Francis off the roster.
Baggabonez

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IR Curry bring him back healthy next season to replace Wheeler. Let Wheeler walk at the of the season to get the 2014 compensation pick he will garner the Raiders after capitalizing on his best statistical season.

Bonez wrote:
Teams that win Superbowls and make the playoffs aren't picking in the Top 5, clearly
big_palooka

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baggabonez wrote:
IR Curry bring him back healthy next season to replace Wheeler. Let Wheeler walk at the of the season to get the 2014 compensation pick he will garner the Raiders after capitalizing on his best statistical season.

Fail. Wheeler has been a nice piece and is a guy you can build around. Letting him walk for a late round draft pick is just dumb.

On Curry, I don't really care. He's overrated here and doesn't bring anything the raiders don't have already in another player.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

big_palooka wrote:
Baggabonez wrote:

Fail. Wheeler has been a nice piece and is a guy you can build around. Letting him walk for a late round draft pick is just dumb.

On Curry, I don't really care. He's overrated here and doesn't bring anything the raiders don't have already in another player.

+1

I see Wheeler as a nice piece for the defense to keep around for the long haul. I like his game a lot.

2012 Adopt a Raider: DE Lamarr Houston

Silver&Black88 with the sweet sig!
RaiderX

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly I've forgotten about the guy. Wheeler has been solid, McClain's play has gotten better and Burris has done well as a rookie. Curry brings nothing in terms of coverage and hasn't gotten to the QB much. I'm fine keeping him as depth but it doesn't seem like the staff is in any hurry to activate him.

I remember early in the season reading about his injury frustrating Allen and him contemplating releasing him if he couldn't get healthy. Maybe Allen is giving him mire time for him and Bartell to return next week.

SaveourSonics wrote:
Yea, RaiderX wins. We can all just top acting like this is a matter of opinion. MY GOD.
Baggabonez

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

big_palooka wrote:
Baggabonez wrote:

Um no. Building around Wheeler would be a failure. He's an OK player playing in a system that makes since unlike when Al had his puppet in place. Offering Wheeler a Willis-esque type contract would be simply asinine, imvho.

Bonez wrote:
Teams that win Superbowls and make the playoffs aren't picking in the Top 5, clearly
oakdb36

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baggabonez wrote:
Offering Wheeler a Willis-esque type contract would be simply asinine, imvho.

Not quite sure who wants to offer him that kind of contract but yeah, you're right.
I hope we can re-sign him though, we have enough positions to adress already.
big_palooka

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baggabonez wrote:
big_palooka wrote:
Baggabonez wrote:

Um no. Building around Wheeler would be a failure. He's an OK player playing in a system that makes since unlike when Al had his puppet in place. Offering Wheeler a Willis-esque type contract would be simply asinine, imvho.

And who said they would pay him as an elite LB. that won't happen. He will get extended on a decent contract for a role playing LB. Willis-esque. Where did you dream that up?

He's a solid role player the Raiders will keep in the fold.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

big_palooka wrote:
Baggabonez wrote:
big_palooka wrote:
Baggabonez wrote:

And who said they would pay him as an elite LB. that won't happen. He will get extended on a decent contract for a role playing LB. Willis-esque. Where did you dream that up?

Give me an example of a player who you think Wheeler's offer will emulate.

Bonez wrote:
Chali21

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baggabonez wrote:
big_palooka wrote:
Baggabonez wrote:
big_palooka wrote:
Baggabonez wrote:

Give me an example of a player who you think Wheeler's offer will emulate.

Well I'm sure he won't get huge money considering he isn't a Pass Rusher like Suggs. He isn't a hard hitter like Willis or playing at an all pro level. He isn't a probowler so he will get somewhere between the league minimum and probowl player money. I'm thinking the average of the two.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: