Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Curry Watch: 2 Days Remain
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Jamethus92


Joined: 03 Mar 2007
Posts: 4986
Location: Colorado Springs
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:37 pm    Post subject: Curry Watch: 2 Days Remain Reply with quote

The team has a decision to make regarding Aaron Curry. Three days left to either activate him, put him on IR, or cut him.

He signed a 5 year, 16.5 million dollar contract in March. 2.5 million guarantee. His 2013 number jumps to 3 million plus 500k roster bonus, the rest are voidable years.

What should we do? Who gets cut for him? Where does he fit going forward with Wheeler and Burris playing at their current level?
_________________


Last edited by Jamethus92 on Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Darkness


Joined: 24 Jun 2012
Posts: 7880
Location: CA
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We should keep him as depth at least. I read that Travis Goethal wasn't active last week. If he's not going to suit up, might as well give the spot to Curry.

With Bartell getting healthy though, I think Francies will get the boot.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
oakdb36


Joined: 02 Mar 2006
Posts: 14318
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Activate him. Cut Keenan Clayton. He'll give us leverage to negotiate with Wheeler and could end up being a cheaper option than McClain as a 2 down MLB.
We could still cut him after the season if necessary.
_________________
Plush wrote:
Papa was a trolling stone
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NickButera


Moderator
Joined: 14 Sep 2009
Posts: 6464
Location: Nevada
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curry showed some flashes last year. With this years defensive coaching staff, it's reasonable to hope that Curry could very well blossom into what Wheeler has become. He's also spent his down time to learn all 3 linebacker positions. The kids smart, great character and he loves the game of football. I don't see someone like this getting the ax from McKenzie. Unless his injury is much more severe than initially thought, I see him staying with the team in some capacity.
_________________
Bah-Weep-Granah-Weep-Nini-Bong

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be.
Also, my short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Chali21


Joined: 07 Feb 2007
Posts: 3198
Location: Cali
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he could be ir'd. We don't really need him and we have more pressing needs at CB.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TiberiusRising


Joined: 03 Jan 2008
Posts: 8951
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly I think they are just waiting until they can activate Bartell so they can move Francis off the roster.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Baggabonez


Joined: 29 Apr 2010
Posts: 6020
Location: RaiderNation
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IR Curry bring him back healthy next season to replace Wheeler. Let Wheeler walk at the of the season to get the 2014 compensation pick he will garner the Raiders after capitalizing on his best statistical season.
_________________
Nodisrespect on building inside out wrote:
teams without highly draft DT's make the playoffs and win the superbowl regularly.

Bonez wrote:
Teams that win Superbowls and make the playoffs aren't picking in the Top 5, clearly
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
big_palooka


Joined: 30 Mar 2006
Posts: 22677
Location: ATL
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baggabonez wrote:
IR Curry bring him back healthy next season to replace Wheeler. Let Wheeler walk at the of the season to get the 2014 compensation pick he will garner the Raiders after capitalizing on his best statistical season.


Fail. Wheeler has been a nice piece and is a guy you can build around. Letting him walk for a late round draft pick is just dumb.

On Curry, I don't really care. He's overrated here and doesn't bring anything the raiders don't have already in another player.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BigMike1b


Joined: 27 Apr 2008
Posts: 1879
Location: 626, CA
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

big_palooka wrote:
Baggabonez wrote:
IR Curry bring him back healthy next season to replace Wheeler. Let Wheeler walk at the of the season to get the 2014 compensation pick he will garner the Raiders after capitalizing on his best statistical season.


Fail. Wheeler has been a nice piece and is a guy you can build around. Letting him walk for a late round draft pick is just dumb.

On Curry, I don't really care. He's overrated here and doesn't bring anything the raiders don't have already in another player.


+1

I see Wheeler as a nice piece for the defense to keep around for the long haul. I like his game a lot.
_________________


2012 Adopt a Raider: DE Lamarr Houston

Silver&Black88 with the sweet sig!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
RaiderX


Joined: 04 Jan 2007
Posts: 20596
Location: Crown Town, CA
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly I've forgotten about the guy. Wheeler has been solid, McClain's play has gotten better and Burris has done well as a rookie. Curry brings nothing in terms of coverage and hasn't gotten to the QB much. I'm fine keeping him as depth but it doesn't seem like the staff is in any hurry to activate him.

I remember early in the season reading about his injury frustrating Allen and him contemplating releasing him if he couldn't get healthy. Maybe Allen is giving him mire time for him and Bartell to return next week.
_________________

SaveourSonics wrote:
Yea, RaiderX wins. We can all just top acting like this is a matter of opinion. MY GOD.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Baggabonez


Joined: 29 Apr 2010
Posts: 6020
Location: RaiderNation
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

big_palooka wrote:
Baggabonez wrote:
IR Curry bring him back healthy next season to replace Wheeler. Let Wheeler walk at the of the season to get the 2014 compensation pick he will garner the Raiders after capitalizing on his best statistical season.


Fail. Wheeler has been a nice piece and is a guy you can build around. Letting him walk for a late round draft pick is just dumb.

On Curry, I don't really care. He's overrated here and doesn't bring anything the raiders don't have already in another player.


Um no. Building around Wheeler would be a failure. He's an OK player playing in a system that makes since unlike when Al had his puppet in place. Offering Wheeler a Willis-esque type contract would be simply asinine, imvho.
_________________
Nodisrespect on building inside out wrote:
teams without highly draft DT's make the playoffs and win the superbowl regularly.

Bonez wrote:
Teams that win Superbowls and make the playoffs aren't picking in the Top 5, clearly
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
oakdb36


Joined: 02 Mar 2006
Posts: 14318
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baggabonez wrote:
Offering Wheeler a Willis-esque type contract would be simply asinine, imvho.


Not quite sure who wants to offer him that kind of contract but yeah, you're right.
I hope we can re-sign him though, we have enough positions to adress already.
_________________
Plush wrote:
Papa was a trolling stone
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
big_palooka


Joined: 30 Mar 2006
Posts: 22677
Location: ATL
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baggabonez wrote:
big_palooka wrote:
Baggabonez wrote:
IR Curry bring him back healthy next season to replace Wheeler. Let Wheeler walk at the of the season to get the 2014 compensation pick he will garner the Raiders after capitalizing on his best statistical season.


Fail. Wheeler has been a nice piece and is a guy you can build around. Letting him walk for a late round draft pick is just dumb.

On Curry, I don't really care. He's overrated here and doesn't bring anything the raiders don't have already in another player.


Um no. Building around Wheeler would be a failure. He's an OK player playing in a system that makes since unlike when Al had his puppet in place. Offering Wheeler a Willis-esque type contract would be simply asinine, imvho.


And who said they would pay him as an elite LB. that won't happen. He will get extended on a decent contract for a role playing LB. Willis-esque. Where did you dream that up?

He's a solid role player the Raiders will keep in the fold.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Baggabonez


Joined: 29 Apr 2010
Posts: 6020
Location: RaiderNation
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

big_palooka wrote:
Baggabonez wrote:
big_palooka wrote:
Baggabonez wrote:
IR Curry bring him back healthy next season to replace Wheeler. Let Wheeler walk at the of the season to get the 2014 compensation pick he will garner the Raiders after capitalizing on his best statistical season.


Fail. Wheeler has been a nice piece and is a guy you can build around. Letting him walk for a late round draft pick is just dumb.

On Curry, I don't really care. He's overrated here and doesn't bring anything the raiders don't have already in another player.


Um no. Building around Wheeler would be a failure. He's an OK player playing in a system that makes since unlike when Al had his puppet in place. Offering Wheeler a Willis-esque type contract would be simply asinine, imvho.


And who said they would pay him as an elite LB. that won't happen. He will get extended on a decent contract for a role playing LB. Willis-esque. Where did you dream that up?

He's a solid role player the Raiders will keep in the fold.


Give me an example of a player who you think Wheeler's offer will emulate.
_________________
Nodisrespect on building inside out wrote:
teams without highly draft DT's make the playoffs and win the superbowl regularly.

Bonez wrote:
Teams that win Superbowls and make the playoffs aren't picking in the Top 5, clearly
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Chali21


Joined: 07 Feb 2007
Posts: 3198
Location: Cali
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baggabonez wrote:
big_palooka wrote:
Baggabonez wrote:
big_palooka wrote:
Baggabonez wrote:
IR Curry bring him back healthy next season to replace Wheeler. Let Wheeler walk at the of the season to get the 2014 compensation pick he will garner the Raiders after capitalizing on his best statistical season.


Fail. Wheeler has been a nice piece and is a guy you can build around. Letting him walk for a late round draft pick is just dumb.

On Curry, I don't really care. He's overrated here and doesn't bring anything the raiders don't have already in another player.


Um no. Building around Wheeler would be a failure. He's an OK player playing in a system that makes since unlike when Al had his puppet in place. Offering Wheeler a Willis-esque type contract would be simply asinine, imvho.


And who said they would pay him as an elite LB. that won't happen. He will get extended on a decent contract for a role playing LB. Willis-esque. Where did you dream that up?

He's a solid role player the Raiders will keep in the fold.


Give me an example of a player who you think Wheeler's offer will emulate.


Well I'm sure he won't get huge money considering he isn't a Pass Rusher like Suggs. He isn't a hard hitter like Willis or playing at an all pro level. He isn't a probowler so he will get somewhere between the league minimum and probowl player money. I'm thinking the average of the two.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group