Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

DPOY - now a three horse race?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General
View previous topic :: View next topic  

DPOY?
J.J. Watt
49%
 49%  [ 49 ]
Von Miller
27%
 27%  [ 27 ]
Peanut Tillman
16%
 16%  [ 16 ]
Other
8%
 8%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 100

broncospride95

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheVillain112 wrote:
broncospride95 wrote:
Add in the fact that Smith has gotten 5 of his sacks against the Bears porous OL and he has no case against the likes of Watt, Miller, Tillman. Aldon is a great pass rusher, however that is all he is at this point in his career.

Like Von didn't just get 3 sacks off of Clary and the Chargers O-Line? Laughing

My vote right now would go to Miller, but that's a weak argument to dismiss Aldon...

Not trying to discredit Aldon, he's a special player and a top pass rusher. I just want to get this out of the way before people come in here and hype up Aldon to be the front runner because of his 5 sack game against the Bears.

49ersfan: From what I've seen of Aldon I haven't come away impressed with his run defense so far, I'll admit to not seeing all the 49ers games this year though. Maybe I've missed the games where he's set the edge well, but I haven't seen it from him, yet at least.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to discredit Aldon at all. I think he's a fantastic player and the 49ers have a great one. I'm not going to make this thread about discrediting other teams elite players in order to pump up my own teams' elite player. All these players are special players and have put up tremendous seasons. Looking forward to seeing how the end of this season ends up going.

Props to Joe_is_the_best on the sig

Blackhawks-Broncos-Bulls-CU-Cubs
J-ALL-DAY

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I definitely think Watt/Miller/Tillman should still be ahead of Smith.

However, the argument of Smith not being great against the run is getting old. Aside from the Giants game, he has held his own and does a fine job of setting the edge. He's not one dimensional anymore and is even getting better in coverage.

Last edited by J-ALL-DAY on Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:28 am; edited 1 time in total
Papa-Pwn

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

J-ALL-DAY wrote:

However, the argument of Smith not being great against the run is getting hold. Aside from the Giants game, he has held his own and does a fine job of setting the edge. He's not one dimensional anymore and is even getting better in coverage.

Dudes got 2 stuffs on the year :/
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
sf49erboy82

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

broncospride95 wrote:
TheVillain112 wrote:
broncospride95 wrote:
Add in the fact that Smith has gotten 5 of his sacks against the Bears porous OL and he has no case against the likes of Watt, Miller, Tillman. Aldon is a great pass rusher, however that is all he is at this point in his career.

My vote right now would go to Miller, but that's a weak argument to dismiss Aldon...

Not trying to discredit Aldon, he's a special player and a top pass rusher. I just want to get this out of the way before people come in here and hype up Aldon to be the front runner because of his 5 sack game against the Bears.

49ersfan: From what I've seen of Aldon I haven't come away impressed with his run defense so far, I'll admit to not seeing all the 49ers games this year though. Maybe I've missed the games where he's set the edge well, but I haven't seen it from him, yet at least.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to discredit Aldon at all. I think he's a fantastic player and the 49ers have a great one. I'm not going to make this thread about discrediting other teams elite players in order to pump up my own teams' elite player. All these players are special players and have put up tremendous seasons. Looking forward to seeing how the end of this season ends up going.
Actually, his run defense has been very good this season. Coverage is the weakest part of his game thus far. He has mental lapses there.
J-ALL-DAY

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Papa-Pwn wrote:
J-ALL-DAY wrote:

However, the argument of Smith not being great against the run is getting hold. Aside from the Giants game, he has held his own and does a fine job of setting the edge. He's not one dimensional anymore and is even getting better in coverage.

Dudes got 2 stuffs on the year :/

I'm not even sure who has the most stuffs on the team. Willis and Bowman don't have many so they can't play the run as well?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sf49erboy82 wrote:
broncospride95 wrote:
TheVillain112 wrote:
broncospride95 wrote:

Actually, his run defense has been very good this season. Coverage is the weakest part of his game thus far. He has mental lapses there.

I'll be sure to watch Aldon closer next week against the run then Wink

I trust 49er fans over me because they obviously watch more and know more about the 49ers than I do Laughing

Just for reference to see if I've seen the games where Aldon has played the run well, which games specifically this year has Aldon looked good against the run in ?

J-ALL-DAY

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aldon Smith said he will text Von Miller later tonight to let him know he passed him for the sack lead Laughing .

broncospride95, Smith was pretty damn good against the Lions. I'm just mentioning that one as it was a Primetime game and you probably caught it.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aldon has almost no chance to win DPOY. He's a great player, but he's probably not even the best player on that defense. Miller and Watt are the man on their respective defenses. Even if Aldon gets the most sacks, voters are going to take into consideration the fact that Bowman, Willis, Brooks, Smith are getting a ton of attention from opposing offensive lines.
UofMfan909

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nihc wrote:
Aldon has almost no chance to win DPOY. He's a great player, but he's probably not even the best player on that defense. Miller and Watt are the man on their respective defenses. Even if Aldon gets the most sacks, voters are going to take into consideration the fact that Bowman, Willis, Brooks, Smith are getting a ton of attention from opposing offensive lines.

This. Aldon is absolutely not the best player on the 49ers defense. I'd say Willis, Smith, and maybe Bowman are all better. That being said - Aldon is far from one dimensional. I don't really care what the stat sheet shows... watching him every week, he pretty clearly makes a big impact against the run week in and week out.

It seems like most Broncos fan stick to the notion that Aldon is one dimensional because they are so used to defending Von against him in all of the Miller vs Aldon threads from last season. It's kind of ridiculous, because no one is going to argue that Aldon >> Miller (as Miller is clearly the better player... he's truly a special talent - the Bronco's Willis), but Aldon is nothing close to one dimensional. He's an elite pass rusher, good run defender, and improving on his pass defense.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unbelievable amount of individual talent on that unit. Smith, Smith, Willis and Bowman? Wow.

I'm a little terrified if SF keeps CK at QB.
broncospride95

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

J-ALL-DAY wrote:
Aldon Smith said he will text Von Miller later tonight to let him know he passed him for the sack lead Laughing .

broncospride95, Smith was pretty damn good against the Lions. I'm just mentioning that one as it was a Primetime game and you probably caught it.

Was actually at my girlfriends house to watch it with her family. Her dad is from Detroit and a huge Lions fan. Let's just say the night started off well, but took a turn for the worse Laughing

I'll have to go back and watch it on rewind, thanks mate

broncospride95

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

UofMfan909 wrote:
Nihc wrote:

This. Aldon is absolutely not the best player on the 49ers defense. I'd say Willis, Smith, and maybe Bowman are all better. That being said - Aldon is far from one dimensional. I don't really care what the stat sheet shows... watching him every week, he pretty clearly makes a big impact against the run week in and week out.

It seems like most Broncos fan stick to the notion that Aldon is one dimensional because they are so used to defending Von against him in all of the Miller vs Aldon threads from last season. It's kind of ridiculous, because no one is going to argue that Aldon >> Miller (as Miller is clearly the better player... he's truly a special talent - the Bronco's Willis), but Aldon is nothing close to one dimensional. He's an elite pass rusher, good run defender, and improving on his pass defense.

It has nothing to do with Bronco fans, in general, thinking Aldon is one dimensional because of the DROY debates we had last year. I thought Aldon wasn't very good against the run because that's what I had seen when I've seen him play this year. Maybe that's because I haven't seen too many splash plays from Aldon against the run. Maybe it's because I haven't seen all of the 9ers game. Maybe it's because I'm not as concentrated watching the 9ers play as opposed to when the Broncos play.

I'm not disputing Aldon isn't a great player, he is. I just thought he was an average-below average run defender. I'll go back and watch some more of the 9ers before I comment further on Aldon because, as shown by 49er fans, apparently he has looked better against the run this year and is actually quite good at it. If that is indeed true, than I applaud Aldon for improving his overall game. He's going to be a good one for that 9er defense for a long time.

Jakuvious

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

J-ALL-DAY wrote:

However, the argument of Smith not being great against the run is getting old. Aside from the Giants game, he has held his own and does a fine job of setting the edge. He's not one dimensional anymore and is even getting better in coverage.

He will never shake that label. I guarantee it.

Adopt-a-Chief: Brandon Flowers
45 Tackles, 1 sack, 1 Interception, 32 INT yards, 5 PDs
49ersfan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jakuvious wrote:
J-ALL-DAY wrote:

He will never shake that label. I guarantee it.

Deservedly or undeservedly?
-Not taking this off until the 49ers win #6
sandiegoraider1

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

49ersfan wrote:
broncospride95 wrote:

He's good at run defense...better than Von or JJ, or elite at it? No. But he's pretty good as a run defender, whether its the tackle, or setting the edge.

Just trying to clear up any misconceptions from fans. He's more than a pass rusher, although thats clearly his biggest strength. His biggest struggle as a Linebacker is his coverage skills.

Not at all going to claim to know more about him than you but I'll say that I watched the three game stretch of the bills giants and seattle games and came away quite unimpressed with his run defense both in tackling and block shedding. Particularly in the seattle game. I will FULLY admit though that this is pretty meaningless to the overall picture and maybe I only saw only the negative plays etc but just saying my impression of his run d is poor.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

Jump to: