Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Megatron
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RyanFuller003

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no problem with the way Calvin is playing so far this year. He's had about two drops that weren't easily excusable, and TDs tend to be pretty random anyway; for example, James Jones, Golden Tate, and Randall Cobb all have at least as many TDs by themselves as Larry Fitzgerald and Andre Johnson combined. He's on pace for a career-best in catches and yards, he's coming off his best game of the season in which he set a career high for receptions, and I really don't think there's any reason to believe he's "Madden cursed."

I'd also like to throw in the fact that the Lions already have more rushing TDs right now (10) than they did all of last year (9), so part of Calvin's TD deficiency owes to the fact that the Lions are just choosing to run more in the red zone. As this relates to Stafford, this is also a big reason why he's thrown fewer TDs than last year.

MrDrew wrote:
I may have to find a taxidermist that will make me a koozie out of a squirrel in a kilt now.

Adopt-a-Lion: Don Muhlbach (for four years running!)
The Lurker

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your first 9 games comparison doesn't take into account how well Stafford played during the back stretch.

Here's what he did in the other 7 games:

Attempts: 301
Comp: 205
Comp %: 68.1
Yards: 2530
Y/A: 8.4
TD's: 21
INT's: 8
Rating: 106.0

Better numbers in the last seven games than he had in the first nine. Unless Stafford has a similar back stretch, he's not going to reach his 2011 numbers. This isn't even factoring in the eye test and his inconsistent mechanics, which have been a bigger problem than last year. You would also expect some progress in terms of efficiency stats over 2011, but we're not really seeing that either at this point.
bdubs3316

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Lurker wrote:
Your first 9 games comparison doesn't take into account how well Stafford played during the back stretch.

Better numbers in the last seven games than he had in the first nine. Unless Stafford has a similar back stretch, he's not going to reach his 2011 numbers. This isn't even factoring in the eye test and his inconsistent mechanics, which have been a bigger problem than last year. You would also expect some progress in terms of efficiency stats over 2011, but we're not really seeing that either at this point.

can only use that last 7 games when he plays the last 7 games of this season. you were saying he's playing worse...when in actuality he's playing fairly similar to last year at this point.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bdubs3316 wrote:
can only use that last 7 games when he plays the last 7 games of this season. you were saying he's playing worse...when in actuality he's playing fairly similar to last year at this point.

So 2012 Stafford is statistically similar to 2011 Stafford through nine games. This is true. Therefore, that part of my Calvin argument doesn't work, so I'll concede that point. He has regressed compared to the level he was playing later in the season, and unless he puts together a similar back stretch, the totality of his season will be viewed as a regression. But that's another argument, so I'll leave it at that.

You did jump the gun however and attempt to put words in my mouth (or at my finger tips, more accurately), implying I said Stafford was garbage. Not even sure where you got that from regarding my initial post.

As far as Calvin goes, he's actually up 6 catches and 89 yards compared to where he was last season. So if this offense can find some sort of consistency, and Stafford once again plays at a high level down the stretch, we could be approaching those milestones for Megatron I was referring to earlier.
stylish313

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude dropped a couple of huge receptions playing through nerve damage, give him a break. It appears that he's taking some of the nastiest hits in the league every week, along with receiving the most attention defensively in the league.

Megatron is having one hell of a season all things considered.
IDOG_det

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stylish313 wrote:
Dude dropped a couple of huge receptions playing through nerve damage, give him a break. It appears that he's taking some of the nastiest hits in the league every week, along with receiving the most attention defensively in the league.

Completely agree. A few more yards on like 8 catches and he leads the NFL in TD's. And that's with Stafford and Linehan not exactly being up to his level this year.
2014 Adopt-A-Lion #1: Eric Ebron
2014 Adopt-A-Lion #2: Martin Mayhew

R.I.P. Stylish
diehardlionfan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stylish313 wrote:

I totally agree and the rest of Detroit's offensive weapons haven't scared anyone allowing the opposition to key on CJ even more.

Sig by El Ramster

Team Stylish
diehardlionfan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bdubs3316 wrote:
The Lurker wrote:

I guess my issue with stats is they need to be broken down. While I recognize his aggregate stats are similar to last year IMHO he hasn't played as well as last year.

What also is disturbing, to me, is his lack of progression as a QB. I was hoping this would be the year he reaches the upper level of quarterbacks. He still has seven games left but I don't think it's going to happen this year.

While he has similar stats, do you think he's playing better football?

What do you see from him out there?

Sig by El Ramster

Team Stylish
detfan782004

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

diehardlionfan wrote:
stylish313 wrote:

I totally agree and the rest of Detroit's offensive weapons haven't scared anyone allowing the opposition to key on CJ even more.

No doubt.

After watching some more of Det game breaking it down I am 100% confident the Vikings were targeting his head in the game. Schwartz will not come out and say it but I will.

There were 4 hits the defender had to guy high just to get close to his head. The need to go high on those 4 plays was not even there.

Shameful that NFL guys are willing to take each other out.

AAL DT- C Reid
AAL MLB- Tulloch
RyanFuller003

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Lurker wrote:

Stafford was spotty last year too and a ton of his second-half production came in 3 huge games against Carolina, San Diego, and Green Bay. He had that three game stretch in which he threw 9 INTs, and we all blamed it on "the glove" or his broken finger. Reasonable perhaps, but I also think it's reasonable to assume our increased rushing TD production has impacted his ability to throw for as many TDs as he did in the first half of last year when we had only 4 rushing TDs through 9 weeks instead of the 10 we currently have. And 3 of those 10 are from Stafford himself.

I guess my point here is that he had those same eye test problems last year, but we were more lenient because he put up some ridiculous bulk numbers when all was said and done. Imagine that instead of having ran for 10 TDs this year as we have, Stafford had thrown the extra six of them instead (and all other numbers were held constant, despite that it would also nominally increase his yardage and completion percentage). His numbers would then be:

248-388, 2,722 yards, 17 TD, 8 INT, 90.6 rating

Is that fair? Those rushing TD drives are still drives that were orchestrated by Stafford, it's just that instead of throwing a fade to CJ they let Leshoure or Bell run it in, or Stafford just did it himself. Sure, it's a little less impressive than last year's first nine games, but it's still pretty close. Maybe you might also consider if Stafford hadn't missed the last few minutes and OT of the Titans game and had been able to replicate Shaun Hill's 10-13 for 172 yards and 2 TDs, which would help his cause even more.

MrDrew wrote:
I may have to find a taxidermist that will make me a koozie out of a squirrel in a kilt now.

Adopt-a-Lion: Don Muhlbach (for four years running!)
bdubs3316

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

diehardlionfan wrote:
bdubs3316 wrote:
The Lurker wrote:

I guess my issue with stats is they need to be broken down. While I recognize his aggregate stats are similar to last year IMHO he hasn't played as well as last year.

What also is disturbing, to me, is his lack of progression as a QB. I was hoping this would be the year he reaches the upper level of quarterbacks. He still has seven games left but I don't think it's going to happen this year.

While he has similar stats, do you think he's playing better football?

What do you see from him out there?

He's disappointing me in the first half, but it's not ALL on him. There are key mistakes occurring team wide that are impacting the drives. Drops that are on the money kill drives. Errant passes on 2nd and long or 3rd down kill drives. Penalties kill drives. All of these items have been happening, so drives have been killed.

overall, he's similar to last year, maybe slightly under performing from last year. But I think a lot of people are over exaggerating his 'lack of performance'.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: