Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Is Philip Rivers time in San Diego running out?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thelonebillsfan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DontTazeMeBro wrote:
Isn't it hilarious that Al Davis took a super immobile QB over the greatest HWS WR prospect ever with the #1 pick?

One of his positives coming out was his mobility for a guy that size.

It just didn't translate when he ballooned up in weight and didn't compensate with muscle. I keep saying it, but he USED to actually be relatively mobile.

He wasn't the giant blob back there that he became in the pros during his college years. So at the time, he was considered a superb athletic prospect (height, weight, arm strength, decent enough mobility), with major character concerns.

And well, those are Al's guys.
-CJ28MVP-

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think they should at least bring in another QB who has some upside to groom behind him or possibly push him.

I think Rivers is just not mentally "there" anymore. I know some of his problems have been a combination of bad O-line play and losing some of his weapons, but he just makes terrible decisions that are inexcusable for a QB of his caliber. If anyone saw his pick 6 in the 4th quarter of the Bucs game this past Sunday, you know what I'm talking about. It was one of the worst decisions I've ever seen from him, or any other QB for that matter. It was like he was deliberately throwing the ball to the DB.

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2012111101/2012/REG10/chargers@buccaneers#menu=highlights&tab=recap
The LBC

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be the first to admit it, Phil has developed some truly poor habits. Some of it comes from trying to do too much (despite the fact that numerous people want to paint him as a crybaby and a whiner - he's the kind of feisty, stubborn-to-a-fault sort that ultimately tries to take on too much himself, often too much for his own good). Some of it's ego, I won't deny that but very few "great" QB's (not saying Rivers is presently anything remotely close to great, but just using the term for general comparison) were/are terribly humble in regards to what they're convinced they are capable of doing.

Norv has done more harm than good in the long term - yes, Rivers produced a stellar season with minimal assistance in terms of talent at the receiver positions. A good deal of that was on him, part of it was on a relatively weak schedule, and part of it was the statistical benefit that comes from having to play from behind to make up for holes your defense has put you in (that can be said for several QB's this season and last).

The fact remains, you put a less-than-mobile QB behind a sub-par line that can't create any sort of reasonable pocket and he's going to underachieve. Vincent Jackson leaving via free agency certainly wasn't a favor - it wouldn't have been as terrible had it not also been compounded by a preseason Vincent Brown injury. Much of what we're seeing in Rivers' poor decision-making comes from him forcing passes, under pressure, to the players that he quote-unquote trusts more than a number of the others; statistically speaking if Rivers had a healthy/functional Brown in addition to Gates and Floyd (who shockingly enough has managed to stay completely healthy this season which is something of a rarity) and he's likely making a few less terrible decisions (not many less, but some less).

The present system doesn't favor him. Norv's offense at this point is largely predictable - particularly on 2nd down's where any opposing coaching staff worth their salt in the film room knows that more than 70% of the time on 2nd and longer than 5 Norv is going to call a run off either the center or guard - and exactly how many QB's can you all name that have seen a great deal of success with an undrafted rookie (in their rookie season) protecting their blindside?

Trust me, there's plenty I'll fault Rivers for. One such is assuming a role as "leader" of this team and not deviating from the mentality that he has to toe the company line. If the front office and the coaching staff are making decisions that are detrimental to your production it's up to you to voice that concern. You don't do it publicly and directly to the media, rather through the proper channels, and perhaps behind closed doors, but you make it known and known well. One would think that after the 100th time of having been left out to dry and get way-layed thanks to Jeromey Clary not even bothering to get a hand on his blocking assignment, it might occur to Philip to mention to the front office they might want to at least challenge the starting RT at his spot with someone capable of unseating him. Instead there's been a steady string of swing tackles, perpetually played even in preseason at LT, utter washouts from other teams who have historically struggled at the position (see Mario Henderson), well-past-their-prime players signed only because of injury woes (see Jon Runyan), or drafted collegiate guard and DL-converts who have no hope.

Believe you me, Rivers has faults that need correcting - and in fact I'm in favor of whoever (God willing) our new coach is they at least tweak the offensive scheme (given that it's proven to be easier to re-tool new habits from previously bad ones when able to associate that learning process with the learning of a new system) a little - such that Rivers is challenged and not just completely catered to. Make the guy work - it's not like his work ethic is poor or he'll back down from that challenge - it will be to his benefit.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see the point in getting rid of him. Finding elite Quarterbacks is hard and so it would be best for them to accept him as he is or wait him out to see if he regains his form.
Tom Shean

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thelonebillsfan wrote:
DontTazeMeBro wrote:
Isn't it hilarious that Al Davis took a super immobile QB over the greatest HWS WR prospect ever with the #1 pick?

One of his positives coming out was his mobility for a guy that size.

It just didn't translate when he ballooned up in weight and didn't compensate with muscle. I keep saying it, but he USED to actually be relatively mobile.

He wasn't the giant blob back there that he became in the pros during his college years. So at the time, he was considered a superb athletic prospect (height, weight, arm strength, decent enough mobility), with major character concerns.

And well, those are Al's guys.

Didn't he have narcolePsy? Maybe he was asleep all this time.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd send Norv packing before I'd get rid of Rivers.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rivers arm just isn't there anymore. His passes don't have the zip they once did.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CrashMan510 wrote:
DontTazeMeBro wrote:
I'm literally facepalming right now. I was pointing out the irony of Mr. HWS passing on one of the best HWS speed prospects ever and that guy turning out to be the best WR in the game by a big margin and you guys make it a serious conversation about JaMarcus Russell. Wow. Laughing

Laughing

dude was fast bro

fast like a nascar

IIRC that obscenely slow spin move iced the game for the Raiders against us. Man, our LBs have been embarrassing over the years.

Another Ginger QB in the AFC North.

Looking forward to the "No Soul Bowl" twice a year
Rockice_8

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NYGFan101 wrote:
His time should have been running out earlier.

No team with Phillip Rivers will ever win a SB. Actually, you can state now no team with him will even make the playoffs with how he's been playing the past years. Laughing

Man the Giants dodged a bullet there. Luckily Eli and his Dad whined their way to NY.

Props to Mack on the sig
epicMustache

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably the most interesting case of an NFL player I've ever known...

He's shown that he can play at an elite level for multiple seasons, though, so I'd keep him and can Norv.

THE PACK MAN wrote:
... but the Packers wouldnt be as good if they had the 49ers defense.

- Adopt a Buc -
Dekoda Watson: 14 tackles, 1 sack, 1 pass defended, 1 interception
MrDrew

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big_palooka wrote:
Rivers arm just isn't there anymore. His passes don't have the zip they once did.

That's because he has nowhere to step up. He's throwing off of his back foot all of the time because of pressure. In the rare instance he has room, he's still getting good zip on his short-mid throws. He's never had a big arm, so throwing off of his back foot, or on the run, kills all the velocity on his throws.

"I am a leaf on the wind... Watch how I soar"
mlv

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rockice_8 wrote:
NYGFan101 wrote:

No team with Phillip Rivers will ever win a SB. Actually, you can state now no team with him will even make the playoffs with how he's been playing the past years. Laughing

Man the Giants dodged a bullet there. Luckily Eli and his Dad whined their way to NY.

What bullet? The Giants only took Rivers so they could consummate a deal with SD. He was never going to be a Giant. Accorsi didn't even like Rivers, he says in his book that he liked Schaub better than Rivers.

His time in SD is not running out, but Norv's is. Norvelous Norv will get the boot once SD misses the playoffs this year.
JammerHammer21

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mlv wrote:
Rockice_8 wrote:
NYGFan101 wrote:

What bullet? The Giants only took Rivers so they could consummate a deal with SD. He was never going to be a Giant. Accorsi didn't even like Rivers, he says in his book that he liked Schaub better than Rivers.

His time in SD is not running out, but Norv's is. Norvelous Norv will get the boot once SD misses the playoffs this year.

And Marty liked Rivers almost as much Manning. Kind of funny how that works. Laughing

Bohlmann20 (On The 95 Cleveland Browns Staff) wrote:
Lombardi - Isn't that the guy the trophy is named after? If so, top 3 coach of all time.

#JDI
Pookie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

doomer wrote:

Laughing

I love AJ SMITH!!!!! Very Happy
JammerHammer21

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pookie wrote:
doomer wrote:

Laughing

I love AJ SMITH!!!!! Very Happy

You should love the Dolphins and the fact that Brees had a very complex injury. Also, Sean Payton for making him so good. AJ offered a contract, it just didn't have as much guaranteed because we had Rivers in the wings.

Bohlmann20 (On The 95 Cleveland Browns Staff) wrote:
Lombardi - Isn't that the guy the trophy is named after? If so, top 3 coach of all time.

#JDI

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8

Jump to: