Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Is Philip Rivers time in San Diego running out?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lomaxgr

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate Philip Rivers so much. His smacktalking and his general on the field demeanour makes me want to dropkick my laptop whilst the camera is on him. That said, he doesn't have a prayer behind that Offensive Line. No QB in the league would have moved the ball yesterday, and whilst I think Denver's Defense deserves some credit, the Offensive Line is just an utter disgrace.

For those that didn't watch the game, CBS actually showed a replay that showed just how incompetent they are. Presnap, Rivers could be seen communicating to his Center that he wanted to shift the protection to his right hand side. This can't be a case of "they didn't hear him" because the Center swivled to see Rivers' hand gestures. Rivers then snapped the ball, only for Jeremy Clary to block the inside man giving Von Miller a free run at Rivers. He was sacked within around 1.5 seconds of snapping the ball. Awful.

MUFC OK
steelcurtain29

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CrashMan510 wrote:
Strawman Theory wrote:
Unfortunately for the Chargers, Al Davis isn't alive to give them a first round pick for him.

They should do a house cleaning. Smith, Turner, Rivers, Pass catchers, Oline, DBs (-weddle), LBers (-Butler). Their DL is the only group that's young enough to take into the next regime.

Rivers runs like a 10.5 40, Al woulden't even think about trading for him

Carson Palmer runs like a 25.5 50 with his one working leg. Imagine what he'd give for Rivers.
tom cody

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there is a new regime coming in San Diego for next season. I think they get a new coach and GM. They'll probably keep Rivers as their QB but if he falters look for San Diego to draft a QB early in the 2014 draft.
Pugger

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FirstDownFaulk wrote:
Speaking of Philip Rivers.....where's KoS been ??

I was thinking the same thing! Laughing

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He definitely has regressed, but without a normal Gates and V-Jax in TB its no surprise

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could see Gruden wanting the job in SD if AJ Smith also gets shown the door. With a vet QB who is relatively young and who has shown more than capable in recent years and a possible move to LA, I think many coaches would want this job. Rivers isn't a mobile QB like Gruden usually prefers, but he used to be very high on him.
IR0NM1KE

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know a lot of fans don't like Rivers. You would think that I would be one of them considering I am a life long NYG fan, and have always been a fan of Eli Manning. This forum is notorious for pitting Eli vs Rivers, and not without good reason. There is a unique story line behind these two and like it or not, they are forever linked together. I do agree that Rivers has taken a step back, but that is not all on him. His surrounding talents have diminished and they really haven't done much to replace them.

We all know how important VJax and Sproles were to there offense. Mike Tolbert might not be the sexiest name, but he was a solid RB with pass catching ability. Antonio Gates is one of the best TE's I've seen in my life, but he is getting a little long in the tooth. Ryan Matthews has underachieved thus far. He also has an issue with staying healthy and hanging onto the ball. Then there is the mess that they call an offensive line. Rivers has been under tremendous pressure this season and will continue to be until they address their OL and overall protection scheme.

I guess what I am saying is; take a step back and look at the big picture. Rivers has been set up to fail by a stubborn GM and a bad coach. He should share in the blame, but I think deep down we all know that this entire offensive unit is a train wreck... not just #17.
Colsrob

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IR0NM1KE wrote:
I know a lot of fans don't like Rivers. You would think that I would be one of them considering I am a life long NYG fan, and have always been a fan of Eli Manning. This forum is notorious for pitting Eli vs Rivers, and not without good reason. There is a unique story line behind these two and like it or not, they are forever linked together. I do agree that Rivers has taken a step back, but that is not all on him. His surrounding talents have diminished and they really haven't done much to replace them.

We all know how important VJax and Sproles were to there offense. Mike Tolbert might not be the sexiest name, but he was a solid RB with pass catching ability. Antonio Gates is one of the best TE's I've seen in my life, but he is getting a little long in the tooth. Ryan Matthews has underachieved thus far. He also has an issue with staying healthy and hanging onto the ball. Then there is the mess that they call an offensive line. Rivers has been under tremendous pressure this season and will continue to be until they address their OL and overall protection scheme.

I guess what I am saying is; take a step back and look at the big picture. Rivers has been set up to fail by a stubborn GM and a bad coach. He should share in the blame, but I think deep down we all know that this entire offensive unit is a train wreck... not just #17.

This is the best explanation I have seen yet.

I have been saying the same thing for years, but not so much for Rivers. I thought the franchise was being set up for failure and their play has unfortunately supported my views. I have been indifferent about the Chargers for several years now. If they lose....eh....if they win...eh. It's hard for me to give full support when I feel that the ownership does not view things the same.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LA Niner Fan wrote:
Could see Gruden wanting the job in SD if AJ Smith also gets shown the door. With a vet QB who is relatively young and who has shown more than capable in recent years and a possible move to LA, I think many coaches would want this job. Rivers isn't a mobile QB like Gruden usually prefers, but he used to be very high on him.

Gruden can't do anything. Bleh, I would hate him. Rode Kiffin to the SB then did nothing despite being a proclaimed offensive genius. His best QB in TB? I don't know, you tell me.

Bohlmann20 (On The 95 Cleveland Browns Staff) wrote:
Lombardi - Isn't that the guy the trophy is named after? If so, top 3 coach of all time.

#JDI
JammerHammer21

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IR0NM1KE wrote:

I wouldn't say VJ had that much of an impact as Sproles (who didn't look like he wanted to be here despite getting paid 8 mill+) did. Sproles could pass block, receive, etc. But he looked terrible his last year here.

Lombardi - Isn't that the guy the trophy is named after? If so, top 3 coach of all time.

#JDI
OakRaiders3828

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steelcurtain29 wrote:
CrashMan510 wrote:
Strawman Theory wrote:
Unfortunately for the Chargers, Al Davis isn't alive to give them a first round pick for him.

They should do a house cleaning. Smith, Turner, Rivers, Pass catchers, Oline, DBs (-weddle), LBers (-Butler). Their DL is the only group that's young enough to take into the next regime.

Rivers runs like a 10.5 40, Al woulden't even think about trading for him

Carson Palmer runs like a 25.5 50 with his one working leg. Imagine what he'd give for Rivers.

Al Davis never traded for Carson Palmer
DirtyDez

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even if SD thought about trading him it would be an RG3 type asking price. At least three 1st rounders... It's almost not even worth it for a team like Arizona that couldn't protect him.

The Rebuild Has Begun...
tylerdouglass

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DirtyDez wrote:
Even if SD thought about trading him it would be an RG3 type asking price. At least three 1st rounders... It's almost not even worth it for a team like Arizona that couldn't protect him.

Nobody would give up 3 1st rounders for him. Laughing That's not even close to a reasonable asking price.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tylerdouglass wrote:
DirtyDez wrote:

Nobody would give up 3 1st rounders for him. Laughing That's not even close to a reasonable asking price.

It is ridiculous, but regardless, there's no reason to entertain the thought of trading of him.

#JDI
DirtyDez

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tylerdouglass wrote:
DirtyDez wrote:

Which is why he wouldn't get traded. Teams don't trade franchise QB's...

The Rebuild Has Begun...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

Jump to: