Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Is Philip Rivers time in San Diego running out?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The LBC

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RaisinBran wrote:
lionslicer wrote:
DontTazeMeBro wrote:
Isn't it hilarious that Al Davis took a super immobile QB over the greatest HWS WR prospect ever with the #1 pick?

When's the last time the Raiders had a mobile quarterback? Davis loved speed, but he wasn't big on mobile quarterbacks.

Aaron Brooks. Laughing

To be fair, they had a couple of guys that were mobile, they just really could throw consistently worth a lick and were not guys you were going to build a team around (Gradkowski, as I recall Walter was relatively mobile, even shot-knees Culpepper was more mobile than some guys currently starting in the league like Rivers).

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The LBC wrote:
LA Niner Fan wrote:
JammerHammer21 wrote:
LA Niner Fan wrote:
Could see Gruden wanting the job in SD if AJ Smith also gets shown the door. With a vet QB who is relatively young and who has shown more than capable in recent years and a possible move to LA, I think many coaches would want this job. Rivers isn't a mobile QB like Gruden usually prefers, but he used to be very high on him.

Gruden can't do anything. Bleh, I would hate him. Rode Kiffin to the SB then did nothing despite being a proclaimed offensive genius. His best QB in TB? I don't know, you tell me.

He helped build a team that made multiple AFC championships and a Superbowl appearance in Oakland. Plus in TB he inherited an older team that was stripped of draft picks they traded to acquire him and had major salary cap issues.

I think he could do well with a talented QB like Rivers.

They traded one pick... their 1st the following season... for Gruden that was it. There were no multiple picks changing hands.

Gruden can get a QB to overachieve through scheme, that's what his strength is. He really can't evaluate talent to save his life (Bruce Allen CARRIED him in Tampa in that respect), and Gruden is notorious for trying to do too much.

I'm not saying I would be shocked if Dean Spanos went out and got him because quite frankly Dean Spanos' primary objective is appeasing the casual fans to make sure his gates and revenues stay up, being competitive comes second to the former, and Gruden has "name-recognition" among that casual fan base. But at the same time, I don't see the guy who, for all intents and purposes, kept Norv around because he didn't want to pay a guy $7 million to not coach for him, be the same guy to turn around and buyout the numerous years (at a high rate per year) of Gruden's contract with ABC/ESPN and pay Gruden a hefty coaching contract on top of that.

I thought it was the 1st rounder as well as two 2nd rounders. Those lost picks aren't too bad but combined with an aging team and salary cap issues that's 3 opportunities to add young impact players. Also one of his top picks Cadillac Williams went through injury issues. Without their RB and with QB talent like Chris Simms, Gradkowski you can't expect a very competent offense. Him and Bruce Allen retooled the roster quickly just couldn't build a consistent playoff contender.

Do agree with what you said about Spanos though, so maybe it isn't a realistic hire.
JaguarCrazy2832

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i doubt it, what option do they have? they arent bad enough to get a legit replacement

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8

Jump to: