Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Falcons release DE Ray Edwards
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Atlanta Falcons
View previous topic :: View next topic  
falcfan4life

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tech2186 wrote:
GSUeagles14 wrote:
tech2186 wrote:
falcfan4life wrote:
tech2186 wrote:
GrimeyKid wrote:
tech2186 wrote:
Wow, so kroy starting and Sudbury backing him up?

probably massaquoi since sidbury plays the right side

Yes your right. But sometimes Abe lines up on both sides. Regardless I like the move. Let these young guys get a shot. This is a young man's game

Edwards is 27

Yes but 27 isn't so young in the NFL. Especially at his position. John Abe is a very rare case. And his best NFL years are def behind him. We got 3 younger De's who deserve a shot for once.

27 is pretty much considered your prime

Not really in the NFL. Most of these guys come in at ages 20 to 22. The average NFL career is like 3yrs? Most won't even make it to 27. You only hear about the rare cases cases but most guys won't last till 27. Its pretty clear Edwards prime was when he we 24 and 25

Ok i get that, but lets talk about the ones that do make it. The rare cases are the players that come in and are immediate stars(Von Miller, JPP). The average player it takes about 2 to 3 years to really get good which would be about 24 or 25. At 27 a dropoof would not be expected by any player of any position. These dropoffs happen because fo injuries or scheme change. Other than running back no significant dropoff should happen until about 31-33. At 27, if he was good he would still be good.
Mekias

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There must be something else going on. Not sure why you would pay a guy so much money to NOT play for you. I doubt we'll ever get the full story but I'm guessing there must have been some kind of friction between him and a coach. He probably wasn't happy with his lack of playing time and mouthed off to the wrong person. Some have also postulated that his partying lifestyle also caused a problem (not sure if there's evidence of that though).

Regardless of all that, he simply wasn't getting the job done on the field. This allows us to take a better look at some of the other guys to see if we need another DE next year.

Financially, we're on the hook for the following (cap-wise):

2012 - $3.55 million (supposedly we save $1 mill?)
2013 - $4.65 million (the balance of the signing bonus & option bonus)
scar988

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wrote an article breaking it down, but we save 1M this year and 2.4 next year and are still free of him in 2014 and 2015.

Dirty Bird Watch: DL Jonathan Babineaux
swoosh

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Free Sidbury.

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
How Does This Affect the Cap?

With Edwards signing a huge contract, this is the biggest question that people have. According to Spotrac, his cap numbers were as follows:

Year Base Salary Signing Bonus Option Bonus Total Cap Hit
2011 $2,000,000 $800,000 $0-------- $2,800,000
2012 $3,000,000 $800,000 $750,000 $4,550,000
2013 $5,500,000 $800,000 $750,000 $7,050,000
2014 $5,000,000 $800,000 $750,000 $6,550,000
2015 $5,000,000 $800,000 $750,000 $6,550,000
Now this may look like a foreign language to most. So let's do some basic accounting here. The Falcons are only on the hook for $2 million of the 2012 base salary, as it was guaranteed for skill, injury and cap.

They are also forced to take the remainder of both the signing- and option-bonus moneys toward the cap in 2013 due to the post-June 2 cut rules. That means the Falcons save $1 million in 2012, $2.4 million in 2013 and $6.55 million in 2014 and 2015 towards the salary caps.

The Falcons could not trade Edwards at the deadline, though. The only reason why they could cut him now is that the post-June 2 rules allow for the cap to be pushed into the next year. Otherwise, the Falcons would have gone over the cap.

As I wrote here breaking it down for everyone. http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1406865-atlanta-falcons-cut-de-ray-edwards-how-does-this-affect-the-team

So yeah. it saves us money. That's kind of insane.

Hotlanta12

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the move, but why did it have to come AFTER the trade deadline.

I'm actually pretty excited to see what we have. Now we can truly see what Kroy Biermann, Lawrence Sidbury, and Jonathan Massaquoi have.

If we do go for a DE on the market here's whats available:

Jonathan Fanene
Matt Roth
Anthony Hargrove
Raheem Brock
Jacques Cesaire
scar988

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hotlanta12 wrote:

I'm actually pretty excited to see what we have. Now we can truly see what Kroy Biermann, Lawrence Sidbury, and Jonathan Massaquoi have.

Jonathan Fanene
Matt Roth
Anthony Hargrove
Raheem Brock
Jacques Cesaire
The Falcons could not trade Edwards at the deadline, though. The only reason why they could cut him now is that the post-June 2 rules allow for the cap to be pushed into the next year. Otherwise, the Falcons would have gone over the cap.

tech2186

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

falcfan4life wrote:
tech2186 wrote:
GSUeagles14 wrote:
tech2186 wrote:
falcfan4life wrote:
tech2186 wrote:
GrimeyKid wrote:
tech2186 wrote:

Yes your right. But sometimes Abe lines up on both sides. Regardless I like the move. Let these young guys get a shot. This is a young man's game

Edwards is 27

Yes but 27 isn't so young in the NFL. Especially at his position. John Abe is a very rare case. And his best NFL years are def behind him. We got 3 younger De's who deserve a shot for once.

Not really in the NFL. Most of these guys come in at ages 20 to 22. The average NFL career is like 3yrs? Most won't even make it to 27. You only hear about the rare cases cases but most guys won't last till 27. Its pretty clear Edwards prime was when he we 24 and 25

Ok i get that, but lets talk about the ones that do make it. The rare cases are the players that come in and are immediate stars(Von Miller, JPP). The average player it takes about 2 to 3 years to really get good which would be about 24 or 25. At 27 a dropoof would not be expected by any player of any position. These dropoffs happen because fo injuries or scheme change. Other than running back no significant dropoff should happen until about 31-33. At 27, if he was good he would still be good.

I agree to a certian extent. If you are really good, you should be good (barring injury) as long as you are in the league especially through age 27; however, most average guys, like Edwards, will have there prime come a bit earlier, as he did. His prime was 23-25. Maybe evern 26. I am talking about most guys tho. THe starters we see that are 27 and older are freaks and basically some of the best athletes out there that's why they are still starting over these younger guys coming in.

ROO to all the Nasty Que Dogs!! I love my Omega Psi Phi!!!
University of Georgia Class of 2008
D0 TH3 D3W

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like the move. Hate the timing.

RIP Joe Pa
tech2186

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D0 TH3 D3W wrote:
Like the move. Hate the timing.

Reports out there are saying it was more a locker room move than strictly a perfomance move. I have no idea but if this guy has been a locker room cancer then he def had to go

ROO to all the Nasty Que Dogs!! I love my Omega Psi Phi!!!
University of Georgia Class of 2008
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tech2186 wrote:
Reports out there are saying it was more a locker room move than strictly a perfomance move. I have no idea but if this guy has been a locker room cancer then he def had to go

exactly. unfortunate, but had to be done, apparently. you guys are on a playoff push. everyone has to be team-oriented now.

not every player works out for NFL teams, we know that. add Ray Ray to the list.

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
JonnyQuest

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GrimeyKid wrote:
I think kroy can do better. Also please turner be next

There is absolutely no way Turner gets cut. Ray was playing less and less snaps each game, heading towards bench warmer status.

Turner still gets the rock 10-20 times a game. He sucks, but he is still a significant part of the offense.

I say give Snelling the rock some more. 10 Snelling, 10 Turner, whatever is left for Quizz. I always loved Snelling, and it is obvious he has more energy to his game, and how much worse could he be than Turner?

Falcons. O's. Wizards. Caps.
coors

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The only thing that surprised me in any of this was that it even took this long for us to show him the door. If we paid people based off of their contributions to the team, this guy wouldn't have earned a penny from us. Ray came to Atlanta for one reason, and that was to rush the passer and create havoc in the backfield. He wasn't able to come up with a single sack up to this point in this season, and frankly wasn't even close. Last year, he somehow came up with 3.5 and even those were lucky. We paid the guy big bucks, and he was only able to be in on I think the number was roughly 30% of the defensive snaps this year, and that's just sad. His head was simply never in the right place, and that right place being football.. he spent all of his time worrying about his boxing career as well as his modeling career.. I mean come on. Thats pathetic. Chatter from inside the locker room was that he never made a point of trying to become friends with or bond with any of our players, that he was always all by himself in the locker room making no effort whatsoever to become "one of us" (Falcons). Dude was a total waste of money, as well as a waste of playing time that we could have given to guys like Kroy Biermann, Sidbury, or Matthews who are our young guys that could have at least been given snaps to earn valuable experience.

Whoever is the next team to sign him, I wouldn't expect much.. either on the field or off of it.

I hope the door hits him on the way out...

That's what I said in the NFL News thread on this same topic.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scar988 wrote:
Hotlanta12 wrote:

Jonathan Fanene
Matt Roth
Anthony Hargrove
Raheem Brock
Jacques Cesaire

No i wasn't saying trade Edwards at the deadline. If it happened before the deadline, we could've made a trade to acquire someone else is all I'm saying. Nonetheless, I'm happy he's gone
falcfan4life

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tech2186 wrote:
falcfan4life wrote:
tech2186 wrote:
GSUeagles14 wrote:
tech2186 wrote:
falcfan4life wrote:
tech2186 wrote:
GrimeyKid wrote:
tech2186 wrote:

Edwards is 27

I agree to a certian extent. If you are really good, you should be good (barring injury) as long as you are in the league especially through age 27; however, most average guys, like Edwards, will have there prime come a bit earlier, as he did. His prime was 23-25. Maybe evern 26. I am talking about most guys tho. THe starters we see that are 27 and older are freaks and basically some of the best athletes out there that's why they are still starting over these younger guys coming in.

27 is a great age in the NFL is all im saying. 24~28 you probably should be playing your best football. his age didNT hurt his production, he was jus no good.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Atlanta Falcons All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: