Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Falcons release DE Ray Edwards
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Flaccomania

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scar988 wrote:
SwiftTexan wrote:
Anybody have any details?

Any chance he asked for his release because he felt like he could be a starter elsewhere?

I still think he's worth a look as a LDE. Might just need the right coach and motivation. I can't think of anyone better than Mike Smith but everybody's different.
I know exactly what happened and wrote an article at my work about it, but idk if I can post it here.

You could, you know, summarize it...

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flaccomania wrote:
scar988 wrote:
SwiftTexan wrote:

Any chance he asked for his release because he felt like he could be a starter elsewhere?

I still think he's worth a look as a LDE. Might just need the right coach and motivation. I can't think of anyone better than Mike Smith but everybody's different.
I know exactly what happened and wrote an article at my work about it, but idk if I can post it here.

Lockerroom issues. Wasn't being a leader. Was worried more about off the field and partying too much. Then on top of it his play fell of. Falcons said, we don't need an underproducing cancer when we want to win the Super Bowl. Plus he was just beat out by either Cliff Matthews or Lawrence Sidbury (still trying to get confirmation on who, but hearing it's Cliff) for the #3 DE role. Plus, the FAlcons saved 1M in cap this year and 2.4 next by cutting him. plus no obligation after 2013.

Dirty Bird Watch: DL Jonathan Babineaux
nicfre2011

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scar988 wrote:
Flaccomania wrote:
scar988 wrote:
SwiftTexan wrote:

Lockerroom issues. Wasn't being a leader. Was worried more about off the field and partying too much. Then on top of it his play fell of. Falcons said, we don't need an underproducing cancer when we want to win the Super Bowl. Plus he was just beat out by either Cliff Matthews or Lawrence Sidbury (still trying to get confirmation on who, but hearing it's Cliff) for the #3 DE role. Plus, the FAlcons saved 1M in cap this year and 2.4 next by cutting him. plus no obligation after 2013.

That was my first thought when I heard he was cut. His production never really was there, but it might have gotten to the point where having Edwards on the field and in the lockerroom wasn't value added anymore. IIRC he had the lable of being immature at Purdue as well.

Thanks to ryknowssd for the sig!

Trent Baalke for 2013 NFL executive of the year.
scar988

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nicfre2011 wrote:
That was my first thought when I heard he was cut. His production never really was there, but it might have gotten to the point where having Edwards on the field and in the lockerroom wasn't value added anymore. IIRC he had the lable of being immature at Purdue as well.

yup. he was acting like a Rock Star in Atlanta and not a football player. and it was his downfall.

vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scar988 wrote:
Lockerroom issues. Wasn't being a leader. Was worried more about off the field and partying too much.

scar988 wrote:
he was acting like a Rock Star in Atlanta and not a football player. and it was his downfall.

behaviors like that were always right on the cusp when he was in MINN, and he had disciplinary problems too while in college at Purdue. which is why the Vikings went bargain shopping for him in the 4th round and took a chance. it appears we got his best years and efforts of what look to be a short, and disappointing, career.

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
TheVillain112

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DontTazeMeBro wrote:
Cashing out?

Think twice if you want to give Michael Johnson alot of money this offseason.

Depends on what you mean by that comment, although great comparison (on the field). MJ93 isn't that good of a pass rusher like Ray Edwards, but he is 100x more committed than him. It isn't for a lack of effort that he doesn't put up great sack numbers and I think the level of play Michael Johnson is exhibiting now, will be the same after he gets his next contract...

Orlovsky has too much experience here. Manziel doesn't stand a chance.
SadLionFan00

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray "Im going to break the single season sack record" Edwards?

Laughing
Get him to fling poo more accurately and make better decisions when flinging it?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
scar988

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:
scar988 wrote:
Lockerroom issues. Wasn't being a leader. Was worried more about off the field and partying too much.

scar988 wrote:
he was acting like a Rock Star in Atlanta and not a football player. and it was his downfall.

behaviors like that were always right on the cusp when he was in MINN, and he had disciplinary problems too while in college at Purdue. which is why the Vikings went bargain shopping for him in the 4th round and took a chance. it appears we got his best years and efforts of what look to be a short, and disappointing, career.

he would have been a "black dot" had Dimitroff done the homework on him like he does for his draft picks.

Purple-Pride07

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zephiel wrote:
I just want to say that I was really glad the Vikings picked Brian Robison over Ray Edwards when their contracts were up and I am twice as glad about it now...

Edwards has fallen off drastically.. Vikes did very well to pass on him, even at 5-years, $27.5 million, which -- at the time -- was actually not a bad value deal for the Falcons.

Even his run stopping ability was waned since 2010.

"When a team outgrows individual performance and learns team confidence, excellence becomes a reality."
--Joe Paterno.
RainbowCarebear

Location: "Are you hungry, child?" Yes, she thought, but not for food.
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surprising they let him go. But he wasn't a good fit for Nolan's scheme?

"Do you imagine Whoresbane loves you any better? If you did not hold the ..., he would pull out your entrails and make you eat them"
"In return, we swore that we should always be their men"
scar988

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RainbowCarebear wrote:
Surprising they let him go. But he wasn't a good fit for Nolan's scheme?

not at all. Nolan was running multiple fronts and whenever the Falcons went to 3-4 looks, Edwards was useless while Biermann went in and took snaps.

JaguarCrazy2832

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YlionsY wrote:
[UMN] wrote:
Ray was a very solid LDE in Minnesota, but was not a great pass rusher, and only had one better than average year which turned into a payday.

Playing next to Jared Allen and the Williams Wall (obviously better than Edwards) did help him look good.

yea, i am glad we didnt overpay for him, not that mincey is doing any better

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bbllstr22 wrote:
iknowcool wrote:
I remember when we gave the mega contract to Charles Johnson, people were saying Atlanta was smarter to give Edwards what they did rather than "overpay" for Johnson. Fast forward, Johnson with 8.5 sacks, 5 FFs in 9 games and in '11, was 6th in TFLs.

Holy [inappropriate/removed] the Panthers are so much better at personnel decisions than the Falcons.

Yeah, that is what I said. I'm fully aware Atlanta has a much more stable front office and coaching staff than we do right now.

I was just remembering how so many people were adamant Johnson was grossly overpaid (people compared it to Stanford Routt, of all people) and that Falcons were much smarter for giving Ray Edwards the deal. Johnson had always clearly been much, much better than Edwards. Just felt like throwing it out there.
scar988

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iknowcool wrote:
bbllstr22 wrote:
iknowcool wrote:
I remember when we gave the mega contract to Charles Johnson, people were saying Atlanta was smarter to give Edwards what they did rather than "overpay" for Johnson. Fast forward, Johnson with 8.5 sacks, 5 FFs in 9 games and in '11, was 6th in TFLs.

Holy [inappropriate/removed] the Panthers are so much better at personnel decisions than the Falcons.

Yeah, that is what I said. I'm fully aware Atlanta has a much more stable front office and coaching staff than we do right now.

I was just remembering how so many people were adamant Johnson was grossly overpaid (people compared it to Stanford Routt, of all people) and that Falcons were much smarter for giving Ray Edwards the deal. Johnson had always clearly been much, much better than Edwards. Just felt like throwing it out there.

No staff is perfect. No staff is entirely flawed. however, had the Falcons had a chance at Johnson, they would have been in a much better situation.

JonnyQuest

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow I didn't expect Ray to get released. He was playing horribly, but at least he provided something in the run game. Not mad, actually glad, just unexpected.

He was Jamaal Anderson 2.0.

Falcons. O's. Wizards. Caps.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: