Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Locker 8th in QBR last week, 7th on the season
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tennessee Titans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ThatTitansFan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:35 pm    Post subject: Locker 8th in QBR last week, 7th on the season Reply with quote

http://espn.go.com/nfl/qbr/_/type/player-week/week/10

Thoughts?
Mockstairwell

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

QBR says Charlie Batch had the best quarterback performance of all time. So I don't even take it as a valid statistic.
s_camp

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Locker 8th in QBR last week, 7th on the season Reply with quote

ThatTitansFan wrote:
Thoughts?

QBR was created by ESPN.

QBR is of no value.

Sorry to repeat myself.
TitanSS

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Granted it was created by ESPN...

The names that he is up there with as far as season leaders is impressive.
ThatTitansFan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Mockstairwell"]QBR says Charlie Batch had the best quarterback performance of all time. So I don't even take it as a valid statistic.[/quote]

No it doesnt...
http://espn.go.com/nfl/qbr/_/year/0/type/alltime-game
JerseyTitan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

single game rating (QBR or traditional) is crap for the most part, but if Locker is among the elite in QBR or rating at the end of the season, I would be impressed (he probably will anyway because of his rushing and QBR takes that into account, unlike traditional rating).

I'm not concerned with the stats as much as his actual progression and evolution as a quarterback. He was very rusty at the start of the game, but I believe he went 5 for 7 for 85 yards and a TD in the second half (until he was taken out for the mercy of the dolphins). He got better as the game progressed, made some unbelievably clutch 3rd and 4th down plays with his feet, and most importantly, didn't turn it over (although he got lucky on a few would-be-INTs that were dropped by defenders).

All in all, I'm happy with his progress as a QB and I hope he doesn't experiences any more setbacks or injuries.

Go Titans
Mesa_Titan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JerseyTitan wrote:
single game rating (QBR or traditional) is crap for the most part, but if Locker is among the elite in QBR or rating at the end of the season, I would be impressed (he probably will anyway because of his rushing and QBR takes that into account, unlike traditional rating).

I'm not concerned with the stats as much as his actual progression and evolution as a quarterback. He was very rusty at the start of the game, but I believe he went 5 for 7 for 85 yards and a TD in the second half (until he was taken out for the mercy of the dolphins). He got better as the game progressed, made some unbelievably clutch 3rd and 4th down plays with his feet, and most importantly, didn't turn it over (although he got lucky on a few would-be-INTs that were dropped by defenders).

All in all, I'm happy with his progress as a QB and I hope he doesn't experiences any more setbacks or injuries.

Go Titans

Like when? I can recall one, and it would have been an incredible play. Hell, it was an incredible play just to defend the pass. (Talking about the one to Cook.

mission27 wrote:
Mesa_Titan is God.

#JDI
KhanYouDigIt

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mesa_Titan wrote:
Like when? I can recall one, and it would have been an incredible play. Hell, it was an incredible play just to defend the pass. (Talking about the one to Cook.

Karlos Dansby? Yea, would have been a helluva catch.

TEDDY TEDDY TEDDY

Props to JMG on the sig
Mesa_Titan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KhanYouDigIt wrote:
Mesa_Titan wrote:

Karlos Dansby? Yea, would have been a helluva catch.

Yeah, that one. Jake probably should have put it just a bit further out, but still, awesome play by Dansby.

mission27 wrote:
Mesa_Titan is God.

#JDI
lamont

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only saw 3 inaccurate passes from Jake all day on Sunday. It was a pass to Nate, the near intercept by Dansby and the missed wheel route to Reynaud. I hope he continues to improve on his accuracy. Those scrambles he had made me cringe, but he made it thru the game healthy. Cool

**The #1 reason the Titans are my favorite team is #9. -- R.I.P Steve "Air" McNair**
Shout out to NS922 on da sig
ThatTitansFan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really think it's important to distinguish "inaccurate passes" from "bad throws".

Bad throws are the ones where the QB just shouldn't have made the throw at all- it never had a chance, at best it's an incompletion, and it's likely an interception.

Inaccurate passes are "good throws", as in good decision making, but thrown badly- they might get picked by a nearby defender, they put the receiver in bad position to get YAC if they're caught, or they might be so far behind or ahead the receiver can't get to it.

I think the perception of Locker's inaccuracy includes both, but it shouldn't. Locker makes excellent decisions on his throws- I think he's at least top 10 in the league in terms of decision making. He doesn't force things, he throws it away if he needs to, and he uses his feet to buy time instead of just tossing it badly. Hasselbeck makes at least twice as many "bad throws" as Locker, and he's a 16 year vet.

Locker has problems with accuracy- he's not Peyton Manning putting every throw in the perfect spot where only a receiver can catch it, or leading the receiver towards open field to get YAC.

Bad accuracy is far, far less of a problem than "bad throws". Accuracy can be greatly improved just through repetition, practice, and improved footwork. The more you throw it, the better your instincts and feel are for how hard you need to throw it, and where to place it on each play. Familiarity with receivers and the playbook solves it a lot too- the more accustomed you are to each player's arm length, catching ability, and speed, the more tailored your throws become. Locker sat on the bench for a year, and just came off injury- his accuracy should improve greatly as he plays.

Bad throws, on the other hand, are very hard to solve. The QB just might not be smart enough to fix it (VY, I'm looking at you). Ingrained habits can cause it. Happy feet (ala David Carr, Cutler, and Gabbert) can lead to QBs forcing throws for no reason. Once a QB builds a bad habit like that, it's very hard to break.

I'm predicting Locker to have a fantastic close to the season. All the WRs should be nearing 100% health, the run game has really stepped up, he'll have more experience and reps, and more familiarity with each receiver. His decision making is fantastic, and that's the hardest thing for a QB to learn. He's looking more and more like a franchise QB.
-Hope-

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^Fantastic post.

skywindO2 wrote:
Never spit it out. Always power through it.
TitanSlim

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThatTitansFan wrote:
I really think it's important to distinguish "inaccurate passes" from "bad throws".

Bad throws are the ones where the QB just shouldn't have made the throw at all- it never had a chance, at best it's an incompletion, and it's likely an interception.

Inaccurate passes are "good throws", as in good decision making, but thrown badly- they might get picked by a nearby defender, they put the receiver in bad position to get YAC if they're caught, or they might be so far behind or ahead the receiver can't get to it.

I think the perception of Locker's inaccuracy includes both, but it shouldn't. Locker makes excellent decisions on his throws- I think he's at least top 10 in the league in terms of decision making. He doesn't force things, he throws it away if he needs to, and he uses his feet to buy time instead of just tossing it badly. Hasselbeck makes at least twice as many "bad throws" as Locker, and he's a 16 year vet.

Locker has problems with accuracy- he's not Peyton Manning putting every throw in the perfect spot where only a receiver can catch it, or leading the receiver towards open field to get YAC.

Bad accuracy is far, far less of a problem than "bad throws". Accuracy can be greatly improved just through repetition, practice, and improved footwork. The more you throw it, the better your instincts and feel are for how hard you need to throw it, and where to place it on each play. Familiarity with receivers and the playbook solves it a lot too- the more accustomed you are to each player's arm length, catching ability, and speed, the more tailored your throws become. Locker sat on the bench for a year, and just came off injury- his accuracy should improve greatly as he plays.

Bad throws, on the other hand, are very hard to solve. The QB just might not be smart enough to fix it (VY, I'm looking at you). Ingrained habits can cause it. Happy feet (ala David Carr, Cutler, and Gabbert) can lead to QBs forcing throws for no reason. Once a QB builds a bad habit like that, it's very hard to break.

I'm predicting Locker to have a fantastic close to the season. All the WRs should be nearing 100% health, the run game has really stepped up, he'll have more experience and reps, and more familiarity with each receiver. His decision making is fantastic, and that's the hardest thing for a QB to learn. He's looking more and more like a franchise QB.

This is a great point.

Locker rarely have throws that have me saying "What were you thinking?" As you said, his decision making is great especially for a young QB.

I agree with everything in your post. Fantastic. Applause

Zach Brown-Injured (Out for Year)
Taylor Thompson-2 rec, 24 yards, 0 TDs

Joined Deshaun Watson bandwagon-9/27/14
TitanSS

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You make a good point, but the fact that all of his "inaccurate" throws are inaccurate for the exact same reason does bother me.

He has a tendency to throw it over the receivers head... and as hard as he can Very Happy

If I remember correctly he had that problem in college? And it still hasn't been fixed?

It seems like it is typically on mid-range crossing routes, does it not? Or is that just me imagining things?
TitanLegend

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TitanSS wrote:
You make a good point, but the fact that all of his "inaccurate" throws are inaccurate for the exact same reason does bother me.

He has a tendency to throw it over the receivers head... and as hard as he can Very Happy

If I remember correctly he had that problem in college? And it still hasn't been fixed?

It seems like it is typically on mid-range crossing routes, does it not? Or is that just me imagining things?

Yeah he's always had that issue. And hasn't been fixed yet? lol, I think the fact that he's went from a 50% passer in college to a 60% or so thrower in the NFL in just 1 and a half seasons is incredible. His decision making is leaps and bounds above what it was in college as well.

I think we're getting spoiled by his progress, he's not gonna be an all-pro overnight. He was considered a project coming out of college, he was projected to be a guy you'd sit for 3 or so years. And after only 1 year of sitting he's already a solid QB. His dedication and the coaching from Palmer and Hass has been incredible.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tennessee Titans All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: