Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Lions 2013 Draft Prospects
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 88, 89, 90  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
TL-TwoWinsAway


Joined: 19 Feb 2008
Posts: 25946
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stylish313 wrote:
If Willie Young or Lo Jack can't supplant KVB, then they're just not that good. Period.

This wont surprise you, but I disagree completely. If you think KVB is starting based on his ability alone, I think you are mistaken.

stylish313 wrote:
Yet, the prevalent opinion around here was that given more snaps, Young could match Avril and maybe even surpass Avril's production last season, of 11 sacks and 6 FFs.....production we've rarely ever enjoyed at DE here in Detroit. It's clear that even with advanced snaps, Willie is nowhere near Avril's level and Avril won't be as easily replaced as you once claimed.

Actually, the prevalent opinion (and my opinion) was that Young's production at $500k was more valuable than Avril's production at $11M.

Do you have Young and Avril's snaps for this season? I'm curious: because of life, I haven't been able to watch nearly as much as I'd like.
_________________


Team Stylish
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
stylish313


Joined: 17 Jan 2009
Posts: 15019
Location: Flat Rock, Mi
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
Do you have Young and Avril's snaps for this season? I'm curious: because of life, I haven't been able to watch nearly as much as I'd like.
I'm getting this from PFF, so I've paid for this info.

Avril- 484 snaps
Young- 247 snaps

But more interestingly, KVB- 490 snaps. So if the Lions are starting KVB for his ability, then why does he have the most snaps of any Lion DE??? That speaks volumes about Young's ability IMO. Like I said before the season, Willie Young was the most overrated player in Detroit Sports this year.
_________________
Oh no, we suck again
- Calvin's out
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger
diehardlionfan


Joined: 12 Mar 2007
Posts: 26115
Location: Ottawa
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IDOG_det wrote:
stylish313 wrote:
IDOG_det wrote:
Jrugges wrote:
Don't we have the same "type" of RB's in Leshoure/Bell?
Lacy has that scat back stlye though. He's big and can run through guys, but is elusive, quick and fast as well.
He looks like Leshoure to me, maybe before the achilles injury. Still, I'd rather just draft a pure 3rd down speed compliment later in the draft.
I mean, if you want a late round guy with a much smaller chance of being good, so be it, but I think Lacy will be a special RB in this league.


It's hard to truly evaluate a back when he's running behind such a dominant oline. I understand everyone wanting to find a player with Best's ability but at some point other areas of need really need to be addressed.

The team has spent valuable resources on weapons in each draft. It's time to spend some of those resources elsewhere especially with the age of the oline.
_________________


Sig by El Ramster

Team Stylish
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
IDOG_det


Moderator
Joined: 02 Mar 2009
Posts: 27688
Location: #JDI
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

diehardlionfan wrote:
IDOG_det wrote:
stylish313 wrote:
IDOG_det wrote:
Jrugges wrote:
Don't we have the same "type" of RB's in Leshoure/Bell?
Lacy has that scat back stlye though. He's big and can run through guys, but is elusive, quick and fast as well.
He looks like Leshoure to me, maybe before the achilles injury. Still, I'd rather just draft a pure 3rd down speed compliment later in the draft.
I mean, if you want a late round guy with a much smaller chance of being good, so be it, but I think Lacy will be a special RB in this league.


It's hard to truly evaluate a back when he's running behind such a dominant oline. I understand everyone wanting to find a player with Best's ability but at some point other areas of need really need to be addressed.

The team has spent valuable resources on weapons in each draft. It's time to spend some of those resources elsewhere especially with the age of the oline.
And I completely agree, I just would love Lacy on the team. Is he my first choice? No. Second choice? No. A great choice? Yes. And, something Lacy does well is find the hole. Not a lot of RB's do it as well as him and it's a great trait for RB's. He is also amazing in space and can break it at any point. I'll say this, he's more powerful than Ingram. He's more elusive than Richardson. Probably faster than both. About the same height & weight. His physical traits are amazing and really the only thing I've yet to see him do great yet is block (from a lack of watching him block).
_________________
2014 Adopt-A-Lion #1: Eric Ebron
2014 Adopt-A-Lion #2: Martin Mayhew



R.I.P. Stylish
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
stylish313


Joined: 17 Jan 2009
Posts: 15019
Location: Flat Rock, Mi
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IDOG_det wrote:
And, something Lacy does well is find the hole.
LOL. When you've got Jones and Warmack opening up holes for you, that's really not that hard to do. I've gotta say that point is underwhelming.
_________________
Oh no, we suck again
- Calvin's out
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger
TL-TwoWinsAway


Joined: 19 Feb 2008
Posts: 25946
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stylish313 wrote:
TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
Do you have Young and Avril's snaps for this season? I'm curious: because of life, I haven't been able to watch nearly as much as I'd like.
I'm getting this from PFF, so I've paid for this info.

Avril- 484 snaps
Young- 247 snaps

But more interestingly, KVB- 490 snaps. So if the Lions are starting KVB for his ability, then why does he have the most snaps of any Lion DE??? That speaks volumes about Young's ability IMO. Like I said before the season, Willie Young was the most overrated player in Detroit Sports this year.

That's my point: KVB is NOT starting because of his ability. He's starting because of his leadership, work ethic, and role on this team. If YOU think he's starting because of his ability, you are mistaken. (In my opinion.)
_________________


Team Stylish
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
stylish313


Joined: 17 Jan 2009
Posts: 15019
Location: Flat Rock, Mi
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
stylish313 wrote:
TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
Do you have Young and Avril's snaps for this season? I'm curious: because of life, I haven't been able to watch nearly as much as I'd like.
I'm getting this from PFF, so I've paid for this info.

Avril- 484 snaps
Young- 247 snaps

But more interestingly, KVB- 490 snaps. So if the Lions are starting KVB for his ability, then why does he have the most snaps of any Lion DE??? That speaks volumes about Young's ability IMO. Like I said before the season, Willie Young was the most overrated player in Detroit Sports this year.

That's my point: KVB is NOT starting because of his ability. He's starting because of his leadership, work ethic, and role on this team. If YOU think he's starting because of his ability, you are mistaken. (In my opinion.)
Intangibles wouldn't land you twice as many snaps as a more talented, productive player. KVB is playing that many snaps because Willie Young and Lo Jack just aren't that good.
_________________
Oh no, we suck again
- Calvin's out
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger
TL-TwoWinsAway


Joined: 19 Feb 2008
Posts: 25946
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stylish313 wrote:
TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
stylish313 wrote:
TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
Do you have Young and Avril's snaps for this season? I'm curious: because of life, I haven't been able to watch nearly as much as I'd like.
I'm getting this from PFF, so I've paid for this info.

Avril- 484 snaps
Young- 247 snaps

But more interestingly, KVB- 490 snaps. So if the Lions are starting KVB for his ability, then why does he have the most snaps of any Lion DE??? That speaks volumes about Young's ability IMO. Like I said before the season, Willie Young was the most overrated player in Detroit Sports this year.

That's my point: KVB is NOT starting because of his ability. He's starting because of his leadership, work ethic, and role on this team. If YOU think he's starting because of his ability, you are mistaken. (In my opinion.)
Intangibles wouldn't land you twice as many snaps as a more talented, productive player. KVB is playing that many snaps because Willie Young and Lo Jack just aren't that good.

Intangibles can absolutely land someone in a starting role, hence why KVB is starting.

Neither of us will change our minds on this, so lets just agree to disagree.
_________________


Team Stylish
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
stylish313


Joined: 17 Jan 2009
Posts: 15019
Location: Flat Rock, Mi
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
stylish313 wrote:
TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
stylish313 wrote:
TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
Do you have Young and Avril's snaps for this season? I'm curious: because of life, I haven't been able to watch nearly as much as I'd like.
I'm getting this from PFF, so I've paid for this info.

Avril- 484 snaps
Young- 247 snaps

But more interestingly, KVB- 490 snaps. So if the Lions are starting KVB for his ability, then why does he have the most snaps of any Lion DE??? That speaks volumes about Young's ability IMO. Like I said before the season, Willie Young was the most overrated player in Detroit Sports this year.

That's my point: KVB is NOT starting because of his ability. He's starting because of his leadership, work ethic, and role on this team. If YOU think he's starting because of his ability, you are mistaken. (In my opinion.)
Intangibles wouldn't land you twice as many snaps as a more talented, productive player. KVB is playing that many snaps because Willie Young and Lo Jack just aren't that good.

Intangibles can absolutely land someone in a starting role, hence why KVB is starting.

Neither of us will change our minds on this, so lets just agree to disagree.
The thing is, you're not debating my point. Starting doesn't guarantee you a ton of snaps. KVB has almost doubled Young's snaps. Same for Lo Jack. Intangibles alone wouldn't account for that. The better player in the coaches eyes is gonna play more. And if they thought that they were close in ability, the snaps would at least be closer.
_________________
Oh no, we suck again
- Calvin's out
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger
TL-TwoWinsAway


Joined: 19 Feb 2008
Posts: 25946
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stylish313 wrote:
TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
stylish313 wrote:
TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
stylish313 wrote:
TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
Do you have Young and Avril's snaps for this season? I'm curious: because of life, I haven't been able to watch nearly as much as I'd like.
I'm getting this from PFF, so I've paid for this info.

Avril- 484 snaps
Young- 247 snaps

But more interestingly, KVB- 490 snaps. So if the Lions are starting KVB for his ability, then why does he have the most snaps of any Lion DE??? That speaks volumes about Young's ability IMO. Like I said before the season, Willie Young was the most overrated player in Detroit Sports this year.

That's my point: KVB is NOT starting because of his ability. He's starting because of his leadership, work ethic, and role on this team. If YOU think he's starting because of his ability, you are mistaken. (In my opinion.)
Intangibles wouldn't land you twice as many snaps as a more talented, productive player. KVB is playing that many snaps because Willie Young and Lo Jack just aren't that good.

Intangibles can absolutely land someone in a starting role, hence why KVB is starting.

Neither of us will change our minds on this, so lets just agree to disagree.
The thing is, you're not debating my point. Starting doesn't guarantee you a ton of snaps. KVB has almost doubled Young's snaps. Same for Lo Jack. Intangibles alone wouldn't account for that. The better player in the coaches eyes is gonna play more. And if they thought that they were close in ability, the snaps would at least be closer.

In this scheme, with these roles at DE, starting absolutely guarantees you more snaps. This isn't a situation where KVB and Willie are viewed as fulfilling different 'situations'... it's the same role. And intangibles absolutely account for that.

You're confusion here is that you think "better player" equates to "more ability". KVB's work ethic, leadership and experience could absolutely make him the "better player", and put him in a starting role over someone with more ability. (If this was a video game, where it was all about numbers on a page, I would agree with you. It's not. Intangibles matter a great deal.)
_________________


Team Stylish
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Lionsfanforever


Joined: 27 Sep 2009
Posts: 4629
Location: Flint, MI
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What bowl matchup will you guys be watching? I'll be keeping an eye Lewan vs Clowney, and Bama's OL vs Notre Dame's DL and Te'o
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
IDOG_det


Moderator
Joined: 02 Mar 2009
Posts: 27688
Location: #JDI
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lionsfanforever wrote:
What bowl matchup will you guys be watching? I'll be keeping an eye Lewan vs Clowney, and Bama's OL vs Notre Dame's DL and Te'o
Clowney will probably handle Lewan, but that's no knock on Lewan. Bama OL is probably going to win against the ND DL.
_________________
2014 Adopt-A-Lion #1: Eric Ebron
2014 Adopt-A-Lion #2: Martin Mayhew



R.I.P. Stylish
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
usedaschwartz


Joined: 10 Feb 2009
Posts: 330
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd love to see Margus Hunt as a Lion. Now that's the European I want. No to Bjorn, yes to Margus.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DrRay11


Joined: 19 Dec 2011
Posts: 3406
Location: Chicago, IL
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

usedaschwartz wrote:
I'd love to see Margus Hunt as a Lion. Now that's the European I want. No to Bjorn, yes to Margus.


I absolutely agree. Trying to work him into my mock somewhere, we play a scheme where he could prove extremely valuable - not as much thinking in the wide 9 as some for a DE
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
diehardlionfan


Joined: 12 Mar 2007
Posts: 26115
Location: Ottawa
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IDOG_det wrote:
Lionsfanforever wrote:
What bowl matchup will you guys be watching? I'll be keeping an eye Lewan vs Clowney, and Bama's OL vs Notre Dame's DL and Te'o
Clowney will probably handle Lewan, but that's no knock on Lewan. Bama OL is probably going to win against the ND DL.


It's going to be an interesting matchup. I'm very interested in Alabama's oline.

I'm also interested in the Cotton Bowl. Texas A and M against Oklahoma.

I want to see how Lane Johnson and Tony Jefferson play. I haven't been totally sold on Jefferson because any of the games I've watched very little is thrown his way. I don't think that will be the case with Johnny football. He's going to air it out all over the field.

I will also be watching Tom Wort, Michael Lamothe.

I'm very interested in the Alamo Bowl, Chic-fil-a Bowl, Capital One Bowl, Fiesta Bowl, and the Orange Bowl.

I will most likely watch all the bowl games but those listed interest me the most.
_________________


Sig by El Ramster

Team Stylish
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 88, 89, 90  Next
Page 7 of 90

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group