Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

how can Wright and Harvin be on the field together?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:00 am    Post subject: how can Wright and Harvin be on the field together? Reply with quote

Jarius Wright was still savoring his debut as the Vikings began their bye week Monday. He had talked with childhood friend and fellow Vikings rookie Greg Childs, the injured receiver, who congratulated Wright on his performance. And Wright admitted he got a thrill from watching his long reception on video.

His best chance to stay on the field probably will be by differentiating himself from Percy Harvin, unless the Vikings believe he's better suited to line up wide than either Jenkins or Simpson. Wright contends there are ways he and Harvin could complement each other, and Frazier sounded open to at least considering it.

Frazier: "If we feel like that's going to give us the best chance to succeed, we'll find a way to get both of them on the field and utilize their gifts."

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_21982681/minnesota-vikings-can-percy-harvin-jarius-wright-play

let's not turn this in to a OMG Why didn't Frazier play him sooner, he's an IDIOT type of "discussion." and let's also remember Wright had an ankle injury that, in his own words, should have kept him off the field for at least 4 weeks.

instead, what personnel packages and formations would be creative/sensible to line them both up together in? as Frazier says, how can we best make use of their gifts?

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?

Last edited by vike daddy on Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:06 am; edited 1 time in total
PrplChilPill

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not see how you need creativity to put two wide receivers on the field?
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PrplChilPill wrote:
I do not see how you need creativity to put two wide receivers on the field?

i guess i mean creativity to give them the best chance to beat their defenders and get the ball in their hands. what formations and plays would help the most?

it's a slow day, man. work with me...

Very Happy

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
milanb

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The great Rams teams of the Greatest Show era had Tory Holt, Isaac Bruce and Az Hakim, all smallish slot-receiver types with 4.4 speed. Plus they had Marshall Faulk, who could just as easily have made the HOF as a WR. They absolutely feasted on little slants and crossing routes.

But that offence also relied on Kurt Warner's ability to stand in the pocket and find the 2nd, 3rd or 4th receiver. And when you start flooding the field with receivers it also means you are taking away blockers. All of Mike Martz's QBs took an awful beating in his offence, which is why no one really runs it any more.

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong. — Ecclesiastes 9:11

But that’s the way to bet. — Jimmy The Greek
disaacs

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, at least Holt and Bruce were 6 feet tall. Both Wright and Harvin are under 6 feet.

When I think of Wright and Harvin, I think of using them similar to how Joe Gibbs utilized Ricky Sanders and Gary Clark in the 80s, who were both smallish receivers (Clark was 5'9" and Sanders was 5'10- 5'11"). I see Harvin as the tough-minded Gary Clark-type, with lots of catches, doing it all, while Wright could be more of the Rickey Sanders, stretch the field receiver. At least, that's how I picture it.

If Wright were to pan out, they would still need that Art Monk-type receiver, who is big and sure-handed.

Thx to Uncle Buck!
VikeManDan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What if they had Harvin at RB and then Wright split out? That could cause problems in the future, assuming Wright pans out.
ArcticNorseman

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harvin and Wright should be on the field together more often . . . of course that means someone needs to be de-activated from the roster.

In the case of Harvin and Wright, why not? Add in Jenkins and Simpson and they have 2 or 3 guys that can get deep fast -- depends on who's lining up across from them and whether Ponder would have time to get the long ball off.

On the flip side, blocking is also important on this offense, so we'd have to see how they'd hold up in that regard.
Worm Guts

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Considering how little production we've had from the other receivers, I see no reason not to give Wright a chance.
rpmwr19

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Start Wright outside and off the line, and have him motion in behind Percy in sort of a bunch look.

Post - Corner route combo
Slat - flat route combo
Seem - under route combo
JMac79

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpmwr19 wrote:
Start Wright outside and off the line, and have him motion in behind Percy in sort of a bunch look.

Post - Corner route combo
Slat - flat route combo
Seem - under route combo

Exactly - I think if you utilize motion, you can minimize the effectiveness of bump coverages, which can be problematic for smallish WRs. It can also create some problems with man-to-man coverage schemes, because now the outside WR is possibly going inside, and the slot guy is going outside... or not. But against zone coverages, especially if the players running it are disciplined, it might not be quite as effective.

Wright's long catch was awesome, and I really hope it foreshadows his potential as a downfield WR... but if I'm not mistaken he was lined up in the slot, and wasn't being covered very well by the LB or CB on him initially (I can't remember which), or the safeties over the top. I think it was a well-designed play, but I'd be more interested to see what kind of separation he can create when lined up on the outside; we've all had a lot of hope that Jerome Simpson's speed could make him a deep threat (and perhaps he has been a bit nicked up), but it doesn't seem like he's been all that great at separating from CBs covering him. With Wright, maybe his fresher legs will give him better quickness to create that separation, but it's yet to be seen at this point.

DJC71 wrote:
That's like asking if I'd still buy my ex-wife flowers on our anniversary after she left me for another dude. Heck no. I hope she gets bedbugs.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harvin needs to be the primary outside WR on all downs. Wright should be the slot WR. If Harvin is as good as most make him out to be, the natural progression for him needs to be as a primary outside WR.
PrplChilPill

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
Harvin needs to be the primary outside WR on all downs. Wright should be the slot WR. If Harvin is as good as most make him out to be, the natural progression for him needs to be as a primary outside WR.

Agreed. I see no reason he cannot be outside.
SteelKing728

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about 4 WR sets or bunch sets?

We haven't ran that much or at all this season, but why not try it?

If not that, we'd just need to put Wright in favorable situations. End arounds, motioning him, deep routes etc.

With the way our WR situation is, Wright could just be the 2nd recieer on the field, or be used at WR when Harvin lines up at RB.

Its nice to see someone show some promise at WR other than #12.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think when we use some of those bubble screens to Harvin, having Wright act as a blocker then going deep off of a fake to Harvin could catch teams off guard with his quickness and speed.

Harvin has been used more and more as an outside Wr, hopefully if someone else steps up we can see him progress more as a downfield threat.
joru1000

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't care about their height/weight. If it were up to me, I'd have them as the starting 2 receivers except when in goal line situations.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: