Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Ta'amu WAIVED
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
steelfan51

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

at23steelers wrote:
The Curtain wrote:
Quote:
Anyway....its sucks how this draft class has fallen apart. Two of our first four picks suffered major injuries and this one is gone. Adams is coming along, and Rainey is good, but aside from that, Im not as high on this class as I was a few months ago.

If DeCastro turns into a pro bowl quality player next year, I think we'll all forget about the misses in this draft. The prize was and still is DeCastro.

I personally don't feel like a 3-4 defense needs a "great" NT. Should be able to find a FA or draft solution that is average or a little better than average, and get by just fine. Other teams do it. It's not like there was a guarantee or anything that Ta'amu was the answer, anyways.

Im not even talking about the role of Ta'amu, because that further helps my argument. A 5th corner has far less future help on a 3-4 team than a starting NT and players alone without position in mind, Ta'amu has more potential than DVD. The chances that Ta'amu gets picked up by another team I'd say is 50%. How'd this work out when we tried this with LB Gibson??

Throwing out a percentage like that, regarding the probability of another team picking him up, is based off of nothing. You keep referring to our 5th corner, who from a straight up stand point, may have less potential than Ta'amu sure, but if he's in a jail cell in the future then his potential goes to zero.
It is weird that they didn't just get rid of him right away, but this week there was a pressing need to bring in a player to return punts. They may have been keeping him around these past weeks to, as others have said, see how things shook out. Since they had no immediate positions to fill, they had the luxury of taking their time with the matter. Once AB went down they NEEDED a punt returner so someone had to go. I don't think it's a foolish move, I think it's a safe one.
at23steelers

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steelfan51 wrote:
at23steelers wrote:
The Curtain wrote:
Quote:
Anyway....its sucks how this draft class has fallen apart. Two of our first four picks suffered major injuries and this one is gone. Adams is coming along, and Rainey is good, but aside from that, Im not as high on this class as I was a few months ago.

If DeCastro turns into a pro bowl quality player next year, I think we'll all forget about the misses in this draft. The prize was and still is DeCastro.

I personally don't feel like a 3-4 defense needs a "great" NT. Should be able to find a FA or draft solution that is average or a little better than average, and get by just fine. Other teams do it. It's not like there was a guarantee or anything that Ta'amu was the answer, anyways.

Im not even talking about the role of Ta'amu, because that further helps my argument. A 5th corner has far less future help on a 3-4 team than a starting NT and players alone without position in mind, Ta'amu has more potential than DVD. The chances that Ta'amu gets picked up by another team I'd say is 50%. How'd this work out when we tried this with LB Gibson??

Throwing out a percentage like that, regarding the probability of another team picking him up, is based off of nothing. You keep referring to our 5th corner, who from a straight up stand point, may have less potential than Ta'amu sure, but if he's in a jail cell in the future then his potential goes to zero.
It is weird that they didn't just get rid of him right away, but this week there was a pressing need to bring in a player to return punts. They may have been keeping him around these past weeks to, as others have said, see how things shook out. Since they had no immediate positions to fill, they had the luxury of taking their time with the matter. Once AB went down they NEEDED a punt returner so someone had to go. I don't think it's a foolish move, I think it's a safe one.

I threw out a number because I think a lot of people think it's closer to 0. I wasn't even questioning bringing up a WR to fill PR returner, I was questioning who we got rid of so we could fill that void.
at23steelers

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelers have signed Alameda Ta'amu to the practice squad. Wow, so no one picked him up. Good call.
jebrick

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

at23steelers wrote:
Steelers have signed Alameda Ta'amu to the practice squad. Wow, so no one picked him up. Good call.

Every team's fans overvalues their draft picks/players. No one is scrambling for a 4th round NT that has legal trouble.

"You build with draft choices. You find people with talents adaptable to your plans and then you teach them to do things the way we do them." - Chuck Noll
at23steelers

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jebrick wrote:
at23steelers wrote:

Every team's fans overvalues their draft picks/players. No one is scrambling for a 4th round NT that has legal trouble.

Good point, but the Patriots always seem to like taking players off the waiver wires like this and do accept some troubled players. That was my initial guess.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: