Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Chud

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnydtarheel

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:14 pm    Post subject: Chud Reply with quote

Quote:
Following another extension to keep Chudzinski in Carolina, the Panthers entered the 2012 season, after a full offseason to prepare, with a radically different offensive philosophy. Instead of sticking with what worked, the Panthers moved to operating heavily out of the shotgun and incorporating a read, dive-option offense that has proven not to work at the NFL level

http://www.profootballweekly.com/2012/11/12/philosophy-shift-sets-up-panthers-playmakers-to-fa

Thanks CK
boondock

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sums up the season from an offensive perspective perfectly.

This is why Chud is not a good head coaching candidate. It seems like he out thinks himself more often than not.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

K.I.S.S.

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Chudzinski took a raw rookie quarterback and rewrote the NFLís record books with an offense predicated on a two-TE downhill running attack featuring the top backfield tandem in the league. The majority of the time, Cam Newton operated from under center with only a few designated shotgun snaps coming primarily near the goal line. Pass reads were kept very simple, set up by play-action, where the quarterback needed to read only half the field, high to low, and Newton was very effective rolling outside the pocket.
This is exactly the offense I want them to run - the offense they were killing it with at the end of last year. Very few designed runs by Newton. Under center, downhill, heavy on the play action. With the way the defense is playing right now, this team would be doing very well.

Quote:
Great coaches find ways to tailor their schemes to the strengths of their talent, creating plays that maximize what they do best.
I've said this for years. It's how I knew Tomlin was likely to be successful in Pittsburgh and how I knew that Mangini was destined to fail in New York. You match your scheme to your players, not the other way around. Chudzinski is not doing this. What's most frustrating about it is that he's reinventing the wheel. We already know what works with this offense because we've already done it. I really wouldn't have a problem with him if he'd stick to last year's offense. But, if he's going to keep up with this, you've got to do something else because it clearly isn't working and he's wasting some very good talent.

MrDrew wrote:
Can somebody give me a good reason there's not a giant statue to fret somewhere?
iknowcool

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fretgod99 wrote:
What's most frustrating about it is that he's reinventing the wheel. We already know what works with this offense because we've already done it. I really wouldn't have a problem with him if he'd stick to last year's offense. But, if he's going to keep up with this, you've got to do something else because it clearly isn't working and he's wasting some very good talent.

The funny thing is, if you go back to the first drive yesterday, what do we do? Run a power run game that was heavy on playaction. The first play of the game was a quick throw down to Stew. We then utilized Olsen a lot in the intermediate passing game (3 catches, 60 or so yards, touchdown on the drive) and were running quicker, not so long developing plays. Our best play was a playaction from under center that allowed Olsen to sneak out and score.

What do we do the rest of the game, even the drive immediately after this? Not run the football. Ran nearly the rest of the game out of shotgun. Outside of a screen from time or two, our receivers were running a bunch of long developing routes (an example is near the end of the game, before the Olsen score, everyone just ran into the endzone and there was only one underneath option and that underneath didn't even move - he just took a step forward and then cocked back as if a screen was called). I can't figure out why he'd want to get away from what clearly works best. Stew and Williams are not fit for this whole run out of shotgun stuff with our lineman constantly in a 2 point stance.

According to Rivera in his press conference early last week, Chud doesn't allow Cam to audible either. Chud has all the potential in the world to be a fantastic coordinator but he seems to be just trying too hard and has completely gotten away from what worked and what still works.
tbrown2699

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just to post something like, "I felt like we ran from under center much more last season", but this just confirms it. The Panthers offensive scheme looks nothing like they did last season which featured 2 TE's and a heavy run scheme from under center. Also, Cam had so much success running the football last season because he didn't go through progressions. He had two targets and if they were not open, he would run. This season the routes are taking 4-6 seconds to develop and Cam is going through progressions. By the time it's time to tuck it and run the pocket has collapsed and there is too much pressure for him to escape. I can't believe how "under-utilized" the Panthers running game has become. They showed a stat in the Thursday night game where the Panthers have not had a 100 yard rusher in 18 games... make that 19 now.
fretgod99

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Part of the 100-yard rusher is having 3-4 backs splitting carries, so it's ultimately not that surprising. The rest of your point all is very valid.

MrDrew wrote:
Can somebody give me a good reason there's not a giant statue to fret somewhere?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: