Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The Nick Foles Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 28, 29, 30  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Philadelphia Eagles
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Phire


Moderator
Joined: 12 Jan 2007
Posts: 52112
Location: #FSU #championchip #2012BirdsHoF #2012GoldStnd #YAKtoseIntolerant #TrollyRangers #Danes #CAVALRY
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Foles was in a similar situation last year:
http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/eagles/20121115_After_last_year__Foles_must_feel_right_at_home.html

Quote:
NICK FOLES has been in this situation before, more or less. The Arizona Wildcats lost five in a row last season after an opening win. Their offensive line, decimated by graduation and injury, was a mess. After that fifth loss in a row, the athletic director fired head coach Mike Stoops, who had taken the team to a bowl each of the previous 3 years.


Quote:
Sacked 23 times in 12 games, somehow he completed 69.1 percent of his passes, for 4,334 yards and 28 touchdowns, with 14 interceptions. Offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg said Thursday that a lot of the rap that followed Foles into the draft about improper footwork had to do with trying to throw on the run, throwing while falling down, while fending off pass rushers.

_________________

theuntouchable wrote:
Think about this phire. I am the real chow.

RainbowCarebear wrote:
Only for the quick and lucky.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
FunkyKingston11


Joined: 26 Jul 2011
Posts: 146
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RainbowCarebear wrote:
Phire wrote:
RainbowCarebear wrote:
Foles should switch to 8 after the season.


8 looks funky with our font.


Funky is good


Cool
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
marky_b27


Moderator
Joined: 16 Mar 2007
Posts: 22945
Location: Nottingham, England
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phire wrote:
So Trent Edwards and Nick Foles have been friends for a while:
http://www.phillymag.com/eagles/2012/11/15/trent-edwards-dishes-on-foles/

Quote:
A couple fun facts about Nick Foles:

– He cannot grow a mustache.

– He wears size 16 shoes, second largest on the team behind only King Dunlap (of course).

– He also (allegedly) has the biggest head on the squad.

Those tidbits are courtesy of Trent Edwards, who knows more about Foles than anyone on the team, and it’s not really close.


Quote:
“We ended up touching base right before he got drafted,” said Edwards, “and had lunch out in California where he was training and I was living, I saw him out here before he got drafted and spoke to him on draft day.”


Quote:
“I have no doubt that he’ll be ready to go Sunday. I’m going to do whatever I can to help him,” said Edwards. “He’s the type of guy that picks up things quickly, he’s coachable, and I think those are two pretty important things to be at this position.”


That's good to here.

With the amount of time the team spends with each other, them socialising off the field as well should always help teamwork.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Nabbs4u


Moderator
Joined: 28 Jul 2007
Posts: 23952
Location: North Carolina Kiltman on the Sig
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phire wrote:

Quote:
Sacked 23 times in 12 games, somehow he completed 69.1 percent of his passes, for 4,334 yards and 28 touchdowns, with 14 interceptions. Offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg said Thursday that a lot of the rap that followed Foles into the draft about improper footwork had to do with trying to throw on the run, throwing while falling down, while fending off pass rushers.


So Nick should feel right at home. Guess being used to it might be an advantage? I'm ready for Foles to drop a Kevin Kolb esq' type performance in his first start. Then the hoopla really begins. Rolling Eyes
_________________

Bird Watch:
Jeremy Maclin: 15 Gm/ 82 Rec/ 1269Yds/ 10 TD/ 15 YPC/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Bednarik60


Joined: 23 Mar 2007
Posts: 33180
Location: Jortland, Oregon<3
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nabbs4u wrote:
Phire wrote:

Quote:
Sacked 23 times in 12 games, somehow he completed 69.1 percent of his passes, for 4,334 yards and 28 touchdowns, with 14 interceptions. Offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg said Thursday that a lot of the rap that followed Foles into the draft about improper footwork had to do with trying to throw on the run, throwing while falling down, while fending off pass rushers.


So Nick should feel right at home. Guess being used to it might be an advantage? I'm ready for Foles to drop a Kevin Kolb esq' type performance in his first start. Then the hoopla really begins. Rolling Eyes


I dont get how people are like "just step up in the pocket" Laughing

I saw a couple potential pockets but come on bro.. Any QB who steps up in our "pocket" is getting blown up... Specially once the linebackers see Shady is just blocking then they go all out blitz into the A gaps or around the far end of the tackle.


360 degrees of defenders coming out is what it must feel like for Vick and Foles.

If Foles didnt try to run around and make things happen... he will be David Carr meets Tim Couch back there...
_________________

Sig/Art by The Great Silo
#championCHIP #CHIPlife #Sparkles
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
oland11


Joined: 15 Jul 2011
Posts: 7773
Location: York PA
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bednarik60 wrote:
If Foles didnt try to run around and make things happen... he will be David Carr meets Tim Couch back there...


So, Suck + Suck?
_________________
Andy constantly was drafting slower, undersized guys with hearts of gold who loved helping old ladies across the street. Unfortunately for them he couldn't teach them how not to get run over.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bednarik60


Joined: 23 Mar 2007
Posts: 33180
Location: Jortland, Oregon<3
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oland11 wrote:
Bednarik60 wrote:
If Foles didnt try to run around and make things happen... he will be David Carr meets Tim Couch back there...


So, Suck + Suck?


Suck Stuck in Shell Shock.

Those two guys just got plummeted. They were in Shell Shock for years after there for couple season. It was so ugly. Hitting Dummies.
_________________

Sig/Art by The Great Silo
#championCHIP #CHIPlife #Sparkles
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
marky_b27


Moderator
Joined: 16 Mar 2007
Posts: 22945
Location: Nottingham, England
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bednarik60 wrote:
oland11 wrote:
Bednarik60 wrote:
If Foles didnt try to run around and make things happen... he will be David Carr meets Tim Couch back there...


So, Suck + Suck?


Suck Stuck in Shell Shock.

Those two guys just got plummeted. They were in Shell Shock for years after there for couple season. It was so ugly. Hitting Dummies.


Which is why we need to improve our offensive line. It doesn't matter who we have back there if they get happy feet.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Meco


Joined: 30 Aug 2012
Posts: 2675
Location: Las Vegas
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An anonymous west coast area scout on Nick Foles:

Quote:
“I thought he was better than Tannehill,” said the AFC scout, who is based in Arizona and has covered the West Coast for several years.


Quote:
The clincher for the scout was last year’s Arizona-Stanford game that pitted Foles and the struggling Wildcats against Luck, the consensus future No. 1 overall pick, and the sixth-ranked Cardinal.

Foles passed for 239 yards and a touchdown for the overmatched Wildcats, who trailed 16-10 at the break but were outscored 21-0 in the second half. Foles, who was sacked five times behind an offensive that struggled all season, completed his first 17 passes.

“What sold me on Nick Foles is watching the Stanford game,” he said. “I watched it live and then I watched it again on tape. At one point, the kid was 16 for 16 and he actually looked better than Luck.

“I look at a lot of different things [with quarterbacks]. I thought he stepped his game up because he was going against Luck, and that impressed me. For three quarters or whatever, he was the best quarterback on the field.”


Quote:
One of the biggest things I look for is, ‘Can he place the ball and can his receivers do something after the catch?’ I saw him zip it into holes and I saw Luck do that. Luck was probably a better management guy on the field, played with a little more confidence. They both had the same type of arm strength.

"In the Cal game, he had some placement on fade balls that were just sick. He dropped some balls [into his receivers’ hands], the placements were just unbelievable.”


Quote:
I think Nick Foles is capable of managing the game like Andrew Luck does. I will never forget that Stanford game, how he managed the game and kept his team in that game. That’s what sold me on him.

_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
marky_b27


Moderator
Joined: 16 Mar 2007
Posts: 22945
Location: Nottingham, England
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I've saw of Foles in college, he does throw a damm good fade.

I really hope we incorporate that into the offense next year.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
PowerElite


Joined: 25 Dec 2009
Posts: 8808
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chad Pennington said that there are throwers and there are passers. I have kept that in mind when evaluating QBs. Foles only problem from what I see is that he is late on his deep throws or he actually sees the entire field and is willing to attempt a deep pass to a receiver that most QBs without an overly strong arm would avoid. He has special pocket awareness. We all haven't seen it on full display yet but he has some young Brett Favre in him with how he's able to escape at the last second to make a pass or forward pitch.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Meco


Joined: 30 Aug 2012
Posts: 2675
Location: Las Vegas
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked Shocked

Did THAT just happen?!

Shocked Shocked
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
PowerElite


Joined: 25 Dec 2009
Posts: 8808
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meco wrote:
Shocked Shocked

Did THAT just happen?!

Shocked Shocked


I've always liked Nick Foles. This was before the draft

PowerElite wrote:
1. Robert Griffin
2. Andrew Luck
3. Ryan Lindley
4. Nick Foles
5. Ryan Tannehill
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Phire


Moderator
Joined: 12 Jan 2007
Posts: 52112
Location: #FSU #championchip #2012BirdsHoF #2012GoldStnd #YAKtoseIntolerant #TrollyRangers #Danes #CAVALRY
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Things might not be smooth sailing for Foles today.

The other rookie QBs lost their first except RG3.

Weeden had a QB rating of about 1 against us and Luck threw 3 picks. How will Foles fair? Well he's had 2 more months of preparation on the scout team... I think he'll use his scout team buddy Damaris Johnson a lot today.
_________________

theuntouchable wrote:
Think about this phire. I am the real chow.

RainbowCarebear wrote:
Only for the quick and lucky.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
EaglesFan5-36-81


Joined: 03 Feb 2005
Posts: 14567
Location: Sky is the limit and Space is the place
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phire wrote:
Things might not be smooth sailing for Foles today.

The other rookie QBs lost their first except RG3.

Weeden had a QB rating of about 1 against us and Luck threw 3 picks. How will Foles fair? Well he's had 2 more months of preparation on the scout team... I think he'll use his scout team buddy Damaris Johnson a lot today.


DeAngelo Hall - Brandon Merriweather* - Madeiu Willams - Josh Wilon

*Indicates player hasn't started a game in 2012.

Their secondary is poop, and their pass rush isn't worth a damn since Orakpo got hurt. Foles pocket presence, ability to make quick reads and release will in theory make the OL look better than Vick last time we played a bad defense (@ New Orleans)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Philadelphia Eagles All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 28, 29, 30  Next
Page 11 of 30

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group