Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Freak's Mock #1

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Freakout

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:23 pm    Post subject: Freak's Mock #1 Reply with quote

The Vikings finish with a 7-9 record.

RESIGNINGS / RELEASES (+CUTS)

RB Matt Asiata - released
FB Jerome Felton - resigned
WR Jerome Simpson - resigned
WR Devin Aromashodu - released
WR Michael Jenkins - released
TE John Carlson - released
OL Phil Loadholt - resigned
OL Geoff Schwartz - resigned
OL Mark Asper - released
DT Kevin Williams - resigned
DT Letroy Guion - released
LB Erin Henderson - released
LB Jasper Brinkley - resigned
LB Marvin Mitchell - released
LB Tyrone McKenzie - released
CB AJ Jefferson - resigned
CB Marcus Sherels - resigned
S Jamarca Sanford - resigned
S Andrew Sendejo - resigned

NOTES: Kevin Williams takes a paycut to stay a Viking. Despite his age he is still a good DT. Like Winfield he is still productive.

Letroy Guion being released has more to do with his salary as a backup. Fred Evans and Christian Ballard are both cheaper without really losing any production. Plus with Everson Griffen playing DT sometimes, it makes no sense keep 5 DT's.

Erin Henderson leaves when he and the team do not agree on a contract.

Jasper Brinkley resigns a cheap 1 year deal.

FREE AGENCY

- DT Terrance Knighton - 6'3 330 lbs

I hope Spielman takes a broad look at free agency, the draft, players we have needing extended, or a guy like Harvin that deserves a new contract. It makes sense to go after a Defensive Tackle like Terrance Knighton to fix a hole rather than over spending on one of the free agent receivers.

THE DRAFT

I am using cbssports.com for my draft rankings.

1. OG Chance Warmack - 6'2 322 lbs

We run so much play action that we have to give Ponder room to step up. Charlie Johnson is just not a starting NFL guard and gives up too much pressure. We could wait and take a guard later in the draft but the likely hood of a 3rd round OG starting as a rookie is pretty slim. I'll add the idea of Peterson running behind Kalil and Warmack is exciting.

2. WR DeAndre Hopkins - 6'1 200 lbs

Would be nice to wait and get a OG here but with teams like Tennesse and St. Louis picking ahead of us the pickings would be slim. Hopkins is having a huge year for Clemson. He is a complete receiver with speed, hands, and good size.

TRADE *** Minnesota Vikings trade their 3rd and their 4th (from Detroit) to jump up to the top of the 3rd round.

3. LB Arthur Brown - 6'1 228 lbs

Outside of Greenway, neither Brinkley or Henderson has played above average this seeason. The coaches continue to shuffle both of them in and out of our nickle packages trying to find a solution. Brown reminds me so much of Lavonte David. He will need to add weight, would have to play OLB his rookie season, but his instincts would be huge for the defense.

4. WR Marquess Wilson - 6'3 188 lbs

The fourth round always seems like a good place to take a flyer on a kid. There is definitely concern about Wilson but his interviews should help ease those. Fact is when the man that you look at as a Father is telling you to leave your team due to an abusive coach it isn't a spur of the moment decision. Add to that they had already talked to the athletic director about the situation.

The knock on his game is that he struggles to get separation and his catches are contested. Well I say that would be a welcomed addition to our weak recieving unit. Especially for a team that struggles converting in the red-zone when catches become contested.

5. CB Micah Hyde - 6'1 190 lbs

I liked Hyde last season before he returned for his Senior year. He really hurt himself with a recent DUI, something that is out of character for him. Hyde is having a solid season but the stats do not standout simply because teams are often throwing away from him. Definitely a outside CB that does a good job of getting his head around and locating the ball in man coverage.

6. LB Kevin Reddick - 6'2 240 lbs

Every year players fall in the draft despite their early pre-draft ranking. Reddick has hurt himself in large part due to his percieved lack of competitiveness. From an athletic view he has everything you want in a linebacker.

2013 ROSTER

MORE NOTES: Todman earns the 3rd RB spot after a full preseason.

Audie Cole wins the starting MLB position after a summer of adding strength and performing well in the preseason.

Spielman really overhauls the receivers and linebackers.

QB| Christian Ponder | Joe Webb | McLeod Bethel-Thompson
RB| Adrian Peterson | Toby Gerhart | Jordan Todman | Jerome Felton
TE| Kyle Rudolph | Rhett Ellison | Allen Reisner
WR| DeAndre Hopkins | Jerome Simpson
WR| Marquess Wilson | Stephen Burton
WR| Percy Harvin | Jarius Wright

LT| Matt Kalil | Demarcus Love
LG| Chance Warmack | Charlie Johnson
C| John Sullivan | Joe Berger
RG| Brandon Fusco | Geoff Schwartz
RT| Phil Loadholt | Demarcus Love

DE| Jared Allen | Everson Griffen
DT| Terrance Knighton | Fred Evans
DT| Kevin Williams | Christian Ballard
DE| Brian Robison | D’Aundre Reed

OLB| Chad Greenway | Larry Dean
MLB| Audie Cole | Jasper Brinkley
OLB| Arthur Brown | Kevin Reddick

CB| Chris Cook | Antoine Winfield | Micah Hyde
CB| Josh Robinson | AJ Jefferson | Marcus Sherels (PR)
FS| Jamarca Sanford | Mistral Raymond | Andrew Sendejo
SS| Harrison Smith | Robert Blanton

K| Blair Walsh
P| Chris Kluwe
LS| Cullen Loeffler

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a terrible mock overall, i just wouldnt take a OG in round 1 personally. I dont see much value there since this year's draft is actually quite deep at OG. I think a Cordarrelle Patterson (rd 1) and Dallas Thomas or Larry Warford (rd 2) mock would be better if you wanted to grab a WR and OG early. Unless you envision Patterson being off the board, which could be possible.

I wouldnt release Letroy Guion. While he isnt a good starter, he would be a solid reserve and his salary really isnt that bad. Its doable.

I like the signing of Knighton, he would be a nice big body to have in the middle of the defense and he has decent athleticism for his size.

I love the selection of Arthur Brown, though I anticipate that he will be an early to mid second round pick. He could probably play WLB if Brinkley remains the MLB and could be the nickel MLB.

I probably would avoid drafting Marquess Wilson, he is probably lucky to be a 7th rd pick at this point given what we know (extremely scrawny and departing his team).
Freakout

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
Not a terrible mock overall, i just wouldnt take a OG in round 1 personally. I dont see much value there since this year's draft is actually quite deep at OG. I think a Cordarrelle Patterson (rd 1) and Dallas Thomas or Larry Warford (rd 2) mock would be better if you wanted to grab a WR and OG early. Unless you envision Patterson being off the board, which could be possible.

I wouldnt release Letroy Guion. While he isnt a good starter, he would be a solid reserve and his salary really isnt that bad. Its doable.

I like the signing of Knighton, he would be a nice big body to have in the middle of the defense and he has decent athleticism for his size.

I love the selection of Arthur Brown, though I anticipate that he will be an early to mid second round pick. He could probably play WLB if Brinkley remains the MLB and could be the nickel MLB.

I probably would avoid drafting Marquess Wilson, he is probably lucky to be a 7th rd pick at this point given what we know (extremely scrawny and departing his team).

I am just not as high on Patterson like many are. I think he is too raw to take in the first round. I personally see him and Bray playing another year in college anyway.

As for the guards, I can easily see Indiana and Chicago grabbing one at the end of the 1st. In the second Jacksonville, Tennessee, Dallas, St. Louis, Arizona all need starting linemen.

I just do not see a position for Guion. We have tried him at both DT positions and he has been sub-par. We cannot keep chalking it up to youth. I agree his contract is not bad but that just makes waiving him easier. In my opinion Evan's is a better NT than Guion (plus he's cheaper) and I feel Ballard actually deserves the same chance that we have been wasting on Guion.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
Not a terrible mock overall, i just wouldnt take a OG in round 1 personally.

I'd take a chance on him, especially if he's the best player available.

So many positions I want Minnesota to get better at, offensive guard is one of them. If we fixed the Charlie Johnson part of the line, they could be an absolutely dominant group. Just the thought of giving Peterson more room to work with is exciting.

Can you say All day for 2K?!

Lil Uno with the sig.
biggsohnasty

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dig it. Personally I would like to add a Safety to pair with Harry Smith but thats neither here nor there.

I can live with the Warmack pick as it would complete 80% of our offensive line (assuming Loadholt resigns) for the next 5 years or so. I would say theres about 3 or 4 guys I'd rather have then him in the 1st but picking him would be solid still.

I like Hopkins and Wilson at WR. Hopkins has been overshadowed by Sammy Watkins, but projects as a really nice outside downfield threat. Wilson has been compared on this site to Sid so if he can eventually turn into that, I'd like our WR crew a ton.

I actually like the Micah Hyde pick as well and would not be at all suprised given Williams' history with drafting Big10 DBs (Sanders, Bethea, Marlin Jackson) and with his size he could give us the scheme versatility to play more press man.

I would give this offseason a solid B/B+
PrplChilPill

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love it, as I want a guard that can start day one. And, agreed, a lot will go off the board in front of them.
Sloppy28

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like what you did in free agency with Knighton, that would be big (pun intended). Unlike others, getting Warmack would be huge (dang, I did it again... Laughing ) but I really like Warmack a lot for this team.

Going back to last year I was all on board with the Kalil pick - I loved it, and still love it. You take a guy who you know will be a 10 year starter when you have the chance. Guys like that don't come around every pick and Warmack along with Te'o are another 2 of those guys this year in my opinion.

Really like the Hopkins pick, I think he is underrated and would be an excellent fit with us. Kind of like a Torrey Smith, which isn't bad at all.

LOVE the Brown pick. He is one of my favorite prospects of the draft and I can't even begin to say how much I want the Vikings to draft him (I think I need to email Rick every day until he agrees to draft him). I think he would be perfect at WLB with Cole at MLB then in the nickle Brown would play. 2 good, young LB's with a lot of potential.

Hyde would be a great pick-up in the 5th, so I like that pick also.

Overall, great mock!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love it! I give it the perrynoid stamp of approval!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: