Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Should the tie be abolished?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should ties be abolished?
Yes
52%
 52%  [ 89 ]
No
47%
 47%  [ 80 ]
Total Votes : 169

Tom Shean

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kellerman wrote:
I was pretty surprised when I found out the NFL had ties. It just seemd so.. ''unamerican''. Winners and losers.

So is having a draft to reward bad teams, and a salary cap to make sure all teams are on a level playing field.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eagles101 wrote:
TommyC376 wrote:
Yes. The NFL should go to what the NCAA does. Thats a great system.

that would be a terrible system for the nfl. the players and teams are to good. they would be able to score every time. most the time probably scoring a td. maybe if they moved it back to the 50.
Well it would indeed have to be adjusted but the point of both teams getting the ball and starting from a designated yardline would work and it would eliminate ties. Also after the 2nd overtime make the teams that score TDs go for 2.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The goal is to score more points than your opponent in 60 minutes. Then you get another 15 minutes and you still can't? Go the hell home. You fail. People got stuff to do and can't be waiting around for you to figure out who sucks less.

Free Ray Rice
eagles101

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TommyC376 wrote:
eagles101 wrote:
TommyC376 wrote:

that would be a terrible system for the nfl. the players and teams are to good. they would be able to score every time. most the time probably scoring a td. maybe if they moved it back to the 50.
Well it would indeed have to be adjusted but the point of both teams getting the ball and starting from a designated yardline would work and it would eliminate ties. Also after the 2nd overtime make the teams that score TDs go for 2.

wouldnt mind that. would prefer how its done now, with a tie. but a highly modified college style system could work.

props to deadpulse
diamondbull424

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eagles101 wrote:
TommyC376 wrote:

This was my suggestion on the previous page. But I think the 45 yd line would be a bit better. Should serve to short the game slightly. And a big time sack should still allow for a possible game winning field goal from 60+... as opposed to from potentially 70+ (which while fun, probably wouldn't be very realistic).

If a team is unable to move the ball they still have a shot at a 65 yard field goal, perhaps even more if they lose yards. I don't know about everyone else, but I look forward to possibly seeing some record length field goals used to possibly decide a game.

That said, I think it would be a disservice to the complete football team to simply get rid of the return team impact on the football game. I like the possibility of a return having the chance to end the game (for either side). I think an additional 8 minutes should be more than enough time for teams to see two drives.

I think 1st overtime should be non-sudden death... like it is now, but if one team milks the clock for 8 minutes to score it in the end... so be it. The other team shouldn't have been pathetic enough to allow an 8 minute drive.

And if that period passes, then I think a 2nd overtime allowing field goals should should happen. Then 3rd ovetime should be all touchdowns. Then 4th overtime should be only 2 point conversions. The drama increases an octave with each overtime period.

Either way, I just prefer a rule that calls upon no ties.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DontTazeMeBro wrote:
The goal is to score more points than your opponent in 60 minutes. Then you get another 15 minutes and you still can't? Go the hell home. You fail. People got stuff to do and can't be waiting around for you to figure out who sucks less.

Haha, awesome.

I sort of agree, though more on the level that after 75 minutes both teams probably deserve a tie. A tie means you weren't better, you weren't worse, you were the same. Changing to a dumb kickoff or w/e doesn't really prove otherwise. It has to involve all three phases of the game, not just the kicker.

In the grand scheme of things, this will only make the playoff hunt more interesting.

Don't follow your passion, take your passion with you.
SnA ExclusiVe

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DontTazeMeBro wrote:

I mean, could this have been said any more perfectly?

BlaqOptic wrote:
I'd say he's [Dennis Pitta] the fourth best TE in the division... Cameron > Miller > Gresham > Eiffert = Pitta
bucsfan333

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DontTazeMeBro wrote:

We've got a winner.

Keep the tie. Don't suck as bad as the other team.
buno67

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think ties should be settled like hockey in shoot outs but call them kick outs.

set the kicks up at 55yards and its just the snapper, the holder, and the kicker!!!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DontTazeMeBro wrote:

Pretty much. Overtime is essentially a tiebreaker. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense to basically play another half of a game to break the tie of the first game.
SoCalNiner

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rules are fine as is.

Did anyone else thing of the "Stanley's Cup" episode of South Park?
Nelson's cancer... "not worse, but not any better. It's almost as if his cancer is...tied."

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't believe there are more votes for yes than no.
titwio

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Farfarello wrote:
I can't believe there are more votes for yes than no.

If I could vote yes twice I would.
imani

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrry32 wrote:
I don't know. I'd say they should focus on getting better refs before they try making changes to the rules.

wwhickok wrote:
I don't believe for one second that Seattle makes it out of their first playoff game.

Russell Wilson Fan since July 2012
imani

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DontTazeMeBro wrote:

Who sucks less? The rams are up and coming and the niners are a top 5 team in the NFL. It was a division rivalry

I understand what you're getting at, but if the ravens and steelers do this they are praised for how strong the rivalry is. Period.

Either way, this game would have had a winner if the refs hadn't been screwing everyone left and right

wwhickok wrote:
I don't believe for one second that Seattle makes it out of their first playoff game.

Russell Wilson Fan since July 2012

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 7 of 10

Jump to: