Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Dallas @ Eagles post game thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Desperado82

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mention the OL...

Going into the draft, the team had recently signed Bernadeau and Livings. In 2011, they spent picks on Arkin and Nagy and brought in Kowalski and Costa.

Now, as we all know, you can find successful lineman in the later rounds of the draft.

I believe the hope was to have Livings start at LG and let Arkin and Nagy compete with Bernadeau for the starting RG job.

Unfortunately, we had Costa and Kowalski both go down with injury as did Nagy and Bernadeau. That really put a strain on our depth. Arkin was forced to start at center and thus derail his development and ability to focus on his more natural position: OG.

You can not plan for injuries, plain and simple and hindsight is 20/20. Who's to say how things would have turned out on the OL had basically four out of five potential players on the OL got injured.

^^^Deadpulse
King John

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

waremd wrote:
Here is a positive outlook:

We were swept by both the Eagles and Giants last year leading to us missing the playoffs. This year we were 2 inches from being 3-0 in the division and in first place. Have beaten both Philly and the Giants in their stadium and we now have a formidable defense. If Garrett can sit down with Callahan and put good game plans together, there is no reason to think we can't go 7-1 the rest of the way. All I am saying is there are positives and I am very grateful for beating both Philly and the Giants this year.

It's impossible to go 7-1 the rest of the season, mainly because there's only 7 games left in the season. I do think we win our next three games, especially if Philly stays with Foles at QB, the Redskins scare me but I think the Cowboys will win at home. That would have us 7-5, the final four games I don't have so much confidence in, the Bengals are a tough team and just blew out the Giants, the Steelers and Saints are playing much better now than they were at the start of the season and the Redskins at home are always dangerous. So if the Cowboys get to 7-5 like I think they should, it really depends on how much they want it the rest of the way because it's a pretty rough December.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rtnldave wrote:
MaddHatter wrote:
Dave - we weren't sure what we had with Mike Jenkins or if he'd even be healthy enough to return. Behind him we had Scandrick who is purely a slot CB with no potential to play outside. So even after signing Carr our ONLY CB's left were a busted shoulder who had 1 good year to his name and a slot CB.

Even with Carr signed, CB was still a huge need

Agreed, but keeping Romo upright and opening holes for our RB's is bigger, in my opinion. What good is it having a solid secondary if your offense cannot protect your QB? Just my opinion. P.S. I still think we gave up way too much for the guy, that's all.

Well we saw 5 blown leads when we didn't have a secondary last year, so I think we know where that gets us.

As for your opinion on the value of a CB - the Cowboys scouts graded him as the best CB to come out since Deion Sanders. If you agree with that or not, you have to admit, getting a HOF caliber CB is worth a first and second.

Sig courtesy of mack.
MaddHatter

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

King John wrote:
waremd wrote:
Here is a positive outlook:

We were swept by both the Eagles and Giants last year leading to us missing the playoffs. This year we were 2 inches from being 3-0 in the division and in first place. Have beaten both Philly and the Giants in their stadium and we now have a formidable defense. If Garrett can sit down with Callahan and put good game plans together, there is no reason to think we can't go 7-1 the rest of the way. All I am saying is there are positives and I am very grateful for beating both Philly and the Giants this year.

It's impossible to go 7-1 the rest of the season, mainly because there's only 7 games left in the season. I do think we win our next three games, especially if Philly stays with Foles at QB, the Redskins scare me but I think the Cowboys will win at home. That would have us 7-5, the final four games I don't have so much confidence in, the Bengals are a tough team and just blew out the Giants, the Steelers and Saints are playing much better now than they were at the start of the season and the Redskins at home are always dangerous. So if the Cowboys get to 7-5 like I think they should, it really depends on how much they want it the rest of the way because it's a pretty rough December.

I agree - Saints, Cincy and Steelers will all be playoff contenders and WASH in DC is a tough play if RG3 is healthy.

Sig courtesy of mack.
Rtnldave

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaddHatter wrote:
Rtnldave wrote:
MaddHatter wrote:
Dave - we weren't sure what we had with Mike Jenkins or if he'd even be healthy enough to return. Behind him we had Scandrick who is purely a slot CB with no potential to play outside. So even after signing Carr our ONLY CB's left were a busted shoulder who had 1 good year to his name and a slot CB.

Even with Carr signed, CB was still a huge need

Agreed, but keeping Romo upright and opening holes for our RB's is bigger, in my opinion. What good is it having a solid secondary if your offense cannot protect your QB? Just my opinion. P.S. I still think we gave up way too much for the guy, that's all.

Well we saw 5 blown leads when we didn't have a secondary last year, so I think we know where that gets us.

As for your opinion on the value of a CB - the Cowboys scouts graded him as the best CB to come out since Deion Sanders. If you agree with that or not, you have to admit, getting a HOF caliber CB is worth a first and second.

You see, that is exactly my point. If not for our ST, a lucky bounce for an INT and a late sack/Fumble/TD, Mo's performance could have cost us the game last night. Given the history of people's posts on this site in the past after a loss, I sincerely doubt everyone would be as forgiving today.

If this guy is the next Prime Time, he has to prove it in the next several weeks because, and this is just my opinion, he will be targeted.

Right now he is more hype than substance. But agian, it is half a season and he is a rookie.

Now, I also did shed some optomizim on one of my previous posts. I did state that we are only 1 game behind the NYG and we have a better divisional record than them AND they have a tougher schedule down the stretch AND we have 5 out of 7 games at home AND we get Murray back.

I truly believe 9-7 wins this division...again. As long as we do not lose to any NFC East teams and the NYG lose 3 more games (not out of the question) We win the division.

Now to what point and purpose, I don't know. We commit way too many penalties, we cannot protect our QB and we cannot run the ball consistantly. So, yeah, it would be nice to make the playoffs but it will only hurt that much more when reality comes crashing down. And our draft picks will be way lower.

Anyway, that is where I stand.
textaz03

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You all freaking crack me up!!! There is no pleasing you guys!! It's all or nothing, give me a break!!

Mo is and was a great pick that we needed to make! Plain and simple! He was well worth the 1st and 2nd that we gave up for him. If it came down to it, I would do it again in a heart beat!

It was one game out of 9 that we have played that Mo had a bad game. His performance up to this date has been outstanding! He will bounce back, I have no doubts about that. You all need to get a grip on yourselves and pull back for a second and take a breath!

He is a freaking ROOKIE!!! Rookies are bound to make mistakes! It happens to all of them! It's part of the learning curve and growing process! Make the mistake and learn from it!

"Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyways" - John Wayne
Matts4313

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rtnldave wrote:
If not for our ST, a lucky bounce for an INT and a late sack/Fumble/TD, Mo's performance could have cost us the game last night.

If not for our ishy secondary last year, the Giants would have been sitting at home instead of winning the Lombardi.

plan9misfit wrote:

If we're able to go 11-5 or better, then Garrett and his staff deserve to be coaches of the damned decade.
Rtnldave

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matts4313 wrote:
Rtnldave wrote:
If not for our ST, a lucky bounce for an INT and a late sack/Fumble/TD, Mo's performance could have cost us the game last night.

If not for our ishy secondary last year, the Giants would have been sitting at home instead of winning the Lombardi.

Yeah.... Miles Austin not driving to the ball on that 3rd down in the 4th quarter had nothing to do with that loss. Nothing at all. And the only reason the ball was thrown so far out was becasue the PRESSURE was in Romo's face due to an inept O line!

And as for the defense, no pressure on Eli = Loss for us. Even with a good secondary we still probably lose that one.
Tha King

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So.... it's looking like Mo has officially been added to the list of,"If you make a single mistake you suck!" list? Laughing Guarantee someone will overly bash him if he makes a mistake next week

Current List
Dez Bryant
Tony Romo
Orlando Scandrick
Morris Claiborne?

Seriously though guys,Mo has played great for us the majority of this season thus far,and has exceeded my expectations I had for him as a rookie.If he continues to have similar games to this throughout the remainder of the season than the bashing is fair,but come on,it's one game.
Rtnldave

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tha King wrote:
So.... it's looking like Mo has officially been added to the list of,"If you make a single mistake you suck!" list? Laughing Guarantee someone will overly bash him if he makes a mistake next week

Current List
Dez Bryant
Tony Romo
Orlando Scandrick
Morris Claiborne?

Seriously though guys,Mo has played great for us the majority of this season thus far,and has exceeded my expectations I had for him as a rookie.If he continues to have similar games to this throughout the remainder of the season than the bashing is fair,but come on,it's one game.

Fair enough Wink
DKDALfan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really don't have a good feeling about our D line.. I think that they should have been more dominating. I mean, this was against the worst o line in the NFL. With Spears, Coleman and Ratliff getting older this is a need that must be adressed inside the first three rounds of the draft. as far as I know, there's nothing special in FA. Lissemore and Crawford hasnt shown that they can handle being more then a rotational guy this season. I do hope that Lissemore comes back from his injury and plays like what he showed flashes of last season more consistent.

Morris Claiborne, a bust? really.. this guy has looked like a rookie for ONE game the whole year. And he is a bust? overrated? He has done even more then you can expect from a rookie. He has done nothing so far that indicates that he won't be one of the very best, if not the best, cornerback in the NFL. I loved the trade up for him. IMO, a 1st and a 2nd was a steal for a player of his caliber.

as for our o line, it still sucks. I'm looking forward to see Costa back in the lineup.

And god the FO have been good at finding players in FA when we have been hit by injuries.. The guys they have signed at safety and linebacker has really done a solid job.
MaddHatter

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

textaz03 wrote:
You all freaking crack me up!!! There is no pleasing you guys!! It's all or nothing, give me a break!!

Mo is and was a great pick that we needed to make! Plain and simple! He was well worth the 1st and 2nd that we gave up for him. If it came down to it, I would do it again in a heart beat!

It was one game out of 9 that we have played that Mo had a bad game. His performance up to this date has been outstanding! He will bounce back, I have no doubts about that. You all need to get a grip on yourselves and pull back for a second and take a breath!

He is a freaking ROOKIE!!! Rookies are bound to make mistakes! It happens to all of them! It's part of the learning curve and growing process! Make the mistake and learn from it!

Agreed

Most Rookie CB's are nicknamed "Burnt Toast" in their first year or two because of how tough the transition is from CFB to NFL - the fact Mo has kept up this well is amazing

Sig courtesy of mack.
mco65

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we all have short memories. Last year, the Cowboys biggest weakness was CB.. defense.. they gave up at least 3 double digit leads in the 4th quarter.. Romo had a career season yet our poorest defense led to a 7-9 record. The Cowboys addressed their biggest weakness in the off season and have greatly improved their defense. I personally do not think Carr alone would have settled the position and feel that Claiborne is a big reason for the Cowboys success especially in pass defense.

Personally I would rather have a great defense and an average offense vs the other way around. Seems like you can win more games that way... I guess we will see, perhaps its merely a PUSH.
buckwild

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Desperado82 wrote:
You mention the OL...

Going into the draft, the team had recently signed Bernadeau and Livings. In 2011, they spent picks on Arkin and Nagy and brought in Kowalski and Costa.

Now, as we all know, you can find successful lineman in the later rounds of the draft.

I believe the hope was to have Livings start at LG and let Arkin and Nagy compete with Bernadeau for the starting RG job.

Unfortunately, we had Costa and Kowalski both go down with injury as did Nagy and Bernadeau. That really put a strain on our depth. Arkin was forced to start at center and thus derail his development and ability to focus on his more natural position: OG.

You can not plan for injuries, plain and simple and hindsight is 20/20. Who's to say how things would have turned out on the OL had basically four out of five potential players on the OL got injured.

So what has Arkin, Nagy, Kowalski shown us but glimpses of having a clue during the game. You give this scouting dept. Way too much credit since they have not hit on a draft pick after the 4th round in a while. Claiborne will be a good player, but the arguement is more about giving up picks to move up to get him rather than whether he was a good player or not.

Thanks Mike23md for the Sig
Rtnldave

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaddHatter wrote:
textaz03 wrote:

Agreed

Most Rookie CB's are nicknamed "Burnt Toast" in their first year or two because of how tough the transition is from CFB to NFL - the fact Mo has kept up this well is amazing

Seems to me we said exactly the same thing about another 1st round CB pick not all that long ago. I hope you are all correct, I truly do. I would love nothing more than to be proven wrong, honestly.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 7 of 10

Jump to: