Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Game Day Observations--Houston Game

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WillParks

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:09 pm    Post subject: Game Day Observations--Houston Game Reply with quote

What a crazy game! Here are some of the things I noticed:

Offense:

1. Stafford had a good game game but his timing with his receivers still seems to be off.

2. Once again, Brandon Pettigrew shows why he can't be trusted as a vertical threat. The timing of his ball security mistakes were horrendous. He had a really costly penalty with that illegal block in the back also. I am not sure we can continue to overlook these mistakes by keeping him on the team.

3. Joique Bell made some solid contributions again. He has been a pleasant surprise and a nice addition to the team.

4. Riley Reiff had a solid day in his first start. It bodes well for his future.

5. Ryan Broyles had a good game. Even though Martin Mayhew took a lot of heat for taking him in the second round, he has been a good addition to the offense.

6. No Titus Young: NO PROBLEM!

7. Mike Thomas may end up being another one of Martin Mayhew's shrewd trades. He made a number of nice plays today.

Defense

1. Suh and Fairley were reaking havoc all day long. Good to see them clicking at the same time.

2. Once again, we didn't get great production from our DEs. That off-sides by Avril in OT was inexcusable. Vandenbosch had a game-winning play served up on a silver platter but just whiffed on it. We needed one of our DEs to make a play late and they simply failed to do so. We definitely need to address this position early in the draft.

3. The LBs had a solid day. Durant was all over the place. They had a couple of mix-ups with TE coverage but overall they played pretty well as a group. It would be nice if we could have a LB that was a playmaker rather than just being solid though.

4. Chris Houston had a great game. Andre Johnson may have had good numbers but he didn't dominate the game. Ricardo Silva made a couple of nice plays. I am not sure if he is talented enough to be a starter but he is definitely a good 3rd safety. We got lucky a couple of times but overall, the secondary had a good day.

This team lacks a killer instinct and that is why we lost today. For the second week in a row the offense could make enough plays to give us the points we needed to get the win. The defense played a really good game but despite the play of Chris Houston, they couldn't put Houston away when it mattered most. We have the building blocks of a good team but we still need more playmakers on defense at LB, CB and S. The Offense needs to learn how to finish games and develop a killer instinct. I think we need to find a dominant guard to replace Peterman. Pettigrew needs to be let go because if we are ever going to be more than a mediocre team we can't tolerate the bad mental mistakes that he continues to make which costs us games. While the refs gave Houston 7 points, we had more than enough chances to put this one away. Obviously, this team has some more growing up to do.

Last edited by WillParks on Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:20 pm; edited 2 times in total
Louis Friend

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=505345
DetroitSpirit

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, my thread is more professionally made!
nagahide13

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This one actually starts out way better too. Almost like our first one was only in place to draw out all the garbage. A decoy!
lumberjackchris

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yall are where we were 2 years ago, stay patient and continue to build through the draft. Yall have some sick talent.

Sucks to lose on a blown call but Schwartz has to learn from his mistakes like Kub has.

Goodluck the rest of the season and stay healthy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lumberjackchris wrote:
Yall are where we were 2 years ago, stay patient and continue to build through the draft. Yall have some sick talent.

Sucks to lose on a blown call but Schwartz has to learn from his mistakes like Kub has.

Good luck to you guys too. I think you guys have a real good shot at the SB this year

R.I.P. Stylish
lumberjackchris

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IDOG_det wrote:
lumberjackchris wrote:

Good luck to you guys too. I think you guys have a real good shot at the SB this year

Preciate it man, ya we gotta shake these injuries on defense, they're starting to pile up

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lumberjackchris wrote:
IDOG_det wrote:
lumberjackchris wrote:

Preciate it man, ya we gotta shake these injuries on defense, they're starting to pile up
4 starters now? Joseph, Cushing, Cody, Reed? Thats brutal. At least you dont have our secondary Laughing

R.I.P. Stylish
lumberjackchris

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IDOG_det wrote:
lumberjackchris wrote:
IDOG_det wrote:
lumberjackchris wrote:

4 starters now? Joseph, Cushing, Cody, Reed? Thats brutal. At least you dont have our secondary Laughing

Ya lus Tate, James and Caldwell

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: