Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Mid-season analysis of Lions Needs
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
carlande

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

diehardlionfan wrote:
carlande wrote:
TheROARisBACK wrote:
I agree with the order DHLF had as priorities mostly because I feel Houston has been everything I could ask for as a "#1 corner" and has been one of our more consistent players.

He was carted off to the locker-room with an ice-pack wrapped around his ankle. That had to be a severe ankle injury which probably leaves him out for next week against the Packers if not longer.

I was surprised when Houston re-signed with the Lions for a 1 year deal after testing free-agency. It's possible a team forks out the money for him this time around.

To all who are downplaying the priority to upgrade the corner position:

THE LIONS HAVEN'T FACED AN ELITE PASSING ATTACK YET THIS SEASON.

Here come the Packers, Texans, Colts, Packers, and Falcons...I can't think of a better group of passing offenses unless you add on the Saints and Patriots for good measure. I'm not trying to be mean. But I think the Lions secondary, and Defense in general, is going to get a hard reality check.

Even if the Lions sign the cut-by-the-Chiefs Routt or get the cut-by-the-Broncos Florence healthy or whoever else they bring in, they will be abused by these offenses. Just forget it. Even with a healthy Houston there'd be trouble. I can't stress enough the importance of getting some real motivated talent in the defensive backfield.

I agree they need to upgrade the secondary. I'm just not certain how best they go about it.

I still think they need safety help more if no other reason than they have Houston. Of course if he leaves that changes the need list entirely.

If nothing else the Lions at least have some youth at corner they seem high on. Currently they have nothing at safety except backups. I know people will counter with Delmas but at some point it has to be recognized he isn't on the field much so his actual impact is negligible. Spievey hasn't shown much and he's always banged up to.

My feelings are based a great deal on how the team was built and at this stage of their rebuild I think the course is charted and to head in a different direction would be troublesome.

Given its a pressure defence I feel strongly they have to do whatever is required to increase the lines ability to generate that pressure. It's early in the scouting process but I don't see a corner that has the ability to stick with a receiver long enough to be a huge difference maker that's why I feel defensive end is a bigger need than corner.

I could be out to lunch. It wouldn't be the first time. Besides I like lunch Cool

There are many needs and what gets filled in the draft will most likely be determined by who's available.

I wonder if there are any corners, safety's or defensive ends available in free agency Mayhew likes and takes a run at.

There are some good ends in this draft. One I think would be a worthwhile trade up depending where the Lions land in the first round.

I don't know carlande but this team and this roster just makes me scratch my head.

The only guy I'm certain of is CJ. The guy is a beast even when he's less than 100%. Beyond that, meh.

I know. I'm scratching my head too. I don't have the answers. I only want balance. I hate weaknesses more than I enjoy strengths. I see where the Lions strengths are, and many may feel the need to keep up the strength in certain areas. The idea of focusing on the D-line as a top priority is a good example. I understand the want to make it a great line, I do. However at what cost? Another dead-beat oft injured secondary? I'm not saying this is your idea. I know your frustrated by the secondary also, but I stress this as a possibillity if it's not emphasized.

I beleive opinions are going to change in a few weeks though. I think Rodgers and the Packer WRs are going to torch this team with short quick passes and the occasional deep strike. After a month of the same this will all make more sense.

I agree that the safety position might be of equal importance in rebuilding the secondary. If the Lions could land a good safety that would help.
YlionsY

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mid Season Analysis of Needs?

Wins. We need wins.
YlionsY

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

S, DE, CB, RG, C, RB

1. Safety-We all seen how much improved our secondary looked and played with a playmaking safety in Delmas back there. However, Delmas may be suffering from Bob Sanders syndrome. I do think we need to move on from Delmas so we need two safeties. Maybe re-sign Delmas to a one-year deal but I doubt he goes for that. Signing him to a longer deal will be setting us up for paying for a IR player. Signing a veteran (Byrd/Moore) and drafting one in the 1st/2nd round.

2. Defensive End-We need pressure from the line and we don't seem to have that superstar DE. Avril isn't really that. He isn't our Jared Allen. I do think we find a way of bringing him back however. Young has been a disappointment this year. KVB is old and I think he needs to be gone. Great leader and coach-no longer a good player. I think our solution will be to draft one in second/third round.

3. Cornerback-As of right now I think we need to draft one in the first round or sign a premiere FA. My final thoughts will have to wait until the end of the year though. I am disappointed that we couldn't see more of Bentley but I have liked the progression of Green. Hard to evaluate CB play when there is no safety help whatsoever and our younger guys could use that help right now. Re-signing Houston is a must IMO and let him finish out his career in Detroit.

4. RG-Find a solution in house? Move Backus over and let Reiff start. Reiff should be LT next year no matter what IMO. If we don't find something in house I see it as a draft pick. 3rd rounder. We also need to re-sign Cherilus.

5. C-If we give one OL another year I think it should be Riaola given our other needs and money issues. It would be nice to find a suitable replacement if possible in the later rounds.

6. RB-I put this as number 6 because you can find what we are looking for in the later rounds or even as an UDFA. Just an explosive back similar to Sproles (4th round) who is a nice change of pace and could give us multiple options in the backfield.
Whiffleballtony

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would we make a 36 year old Jeff Backus one of the top five paid Right Guards in the league; a position he has never played.
YlionsY

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whiffleballtony wrote:
Why would we make a 36 year old Jeff Backus one of the top five paid Right Guards in the league; a position he has never played.

Considering that if we don't he would be the highest paid backup LT. Saves us money and/or a draft pick by moving him inside.

I don't think it would be a hard transition for him.
IDOG_det

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YlionsY wrote:
Whiffleballtony wrote:

Considering that if we don't he would be the highest paid backup LT. Saves us money and/or a draft pick by moving him inside.

Exactly, it's not too hard to move from left to right and from tackle to guard if you have any work ethic whatsoever. My main concern would be age and chemistry with Cherilus.
2014 Adopt-A-Lion #1: Eric Ebron
2014 Adopt-A-Lion #2: Martin Mayhew

R.I.P. Stylish
YlionsY

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IDOG_det wrote:
YlionsY wrote:
Whiffleballtony wrote:

Exactly, it's not too hard to move from left to right and from tackle to guard if you have any work ethic whatsoever. My main concern would be age and chemistry with Cherilus.

Also think we shouldn't cut Backus. I believe he deserves to end out his career here if he chooses to. He has earned it. I understand its a business but this guy has stuck with us through thin and thin.
IDOG_det

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YlionsY wrote:
IDOG_det wrote:
YlionsY wrote:
Whiffleballtony wrote:

Also think we shouldn't cut Backus. I believe he deserves to end out his career here if he chooses to. He has earned it. I understand its a business but this guy has stuck with us through thin and thin.
Yeah, dont want to pull a Colts.
2014 Adopt-A-Lion #1: Eric Ebron
2014 Adopt-A-Lion #2: Martin Mayhew

R.I.P. Stylish
DrRay11

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YlionsY wrote:
IDOG_det wrote:
YlionsY wrote:
Whiffleballtony wrote:

Freudian slip?! haaaaaahaha

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrRay11 wrote:
YlionsY wrote:
IDOG_det wrote:
YlionsY wrote:
Whiffleballtony wrote:

Freudian slip?! haaaaaahaha

We've only known thin times as Lions fans perv
Whiffleballtony

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I respect was Backus has done for this organization but if he is not starting at LT I would just assume cut him and allow a new lineup to begin building chemistry.
Vikefan79

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What your guys plans with Vanden Bosch? Is he a Lion next season?
Nnivolcm

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vikefan79 wrote:

I hope not but this regime can be awfully clingy to veterans long past their primes.

Team Stylish
Thanks to Smack for the sig!
Vikefan79

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nnivolcm wrote:
Vikefan79 wrote:

I hope not but this regime can be awfully clingy to veterans long past their primes.

How good is his backup Willie Young? He looks awfully tall and skinny.
Nnivolcm

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vikefan79 wrote:
Nnivolcm wrote:
Vikefan79 wrote:

How good is his backup Willie Young? He looks awfully tall and skinny.

He has shown flashes but little consistency.

Team Stylish
Thanks to Smack for the sig!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: