Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Patriots injuries: Dan Connolly, Logan Mankins, Wes Welker
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Billy Spikes

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:57 pm    Post subject: Patriots injuries: Dan Connolly, Logan Mankins, Wes Welker Reply with quote

Quote:
Injury Update from the Patriots sideline: Dan Connolly has a back injury. His return in questionable.

http://twitter.com/Patriots/statuses/267716252657647616

Quote:
Patriots announce Mankins' injury as an ankle. Return questionable.

http://twitter.com/AlbertBreer/statuses/267720010892443648
Tom Brady Tribute

Last edited by Billy Spikes on Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:45 am; edited 1 time in total
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surprised Billy hasn't added this yet:

Quote:
As I reported on CSN Sports Net Central, a source telling me Wes Welker had X-Rays on his injured ankle following the game.

https://twitter.com/mikegiardi/status/267787522208325633
24isthelaw

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Patriots injuries: Dan Connolly, Logan Mankins Reply with quote

Billy Spikes wrote:
Quote:
Injury Update from the Patriots sideline: Dan Connolly has a back injury. His return in questionable.

Quote:

Damn. Not Dan Connolly. Crying or Very sad

As for Welker... he came back onto the field so it can't be terrible. He's been so clutch for us on offense and I honestly don't know what we'd do without him.

Adopt-a-Patriot: Marcus Forston - Practice squad (0 tackles, 0 sacks)
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Patriots injuries: Dan Connolly, Logan Mankins Reply with quote

24isthelaw wrote:
Billy Spikes wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

Damn. Not Dan Connolly. Crying or Very sad

As for Welker... he came back onto the field so it can't be terrible. He's been so clutch for us on offense and I honestly don't know what we'd do without him.

Probably would have fewer dropped passes.

Though, without Hernandez, the team needs Welker.
24isthelaw

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Patriots injuries: Dan Connolly, Logan Mankins Reply with quote

mcmurtry86 wrote:

I'm not going to make excuses for the drops. But when the Pats offense have needed a 1st down, Welker has come through more than any of the other skill players. The trickle-down effect of losing Welker is also disasterous - that Edelman/Branch/injured Hernandez is a #3 option.

mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Patriots injuries: Dan Connolly, Logan Mankins Reply with quote

24isthelaw wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:

I'm not going to make excuses for the drops. But when the Pats offense have needed a 1st down, Welker has come through more than any of the other skill players. The trickle-down effect of losing Welker is also disasterous - that Edelman/Branch/injured Hernandez is a #3 option.

He's come through more because he gets the most opportunities. I'd also suggest (though don't have the stats) that he's killed far more drives with drops than any other receiving option on the team.

I do think though that if the team decides not to re-sign Welker (either force him to take the Franchise tag again or let him walk), it will be because of the drops. At this point, I think I'd rather them spend that money on D and (with an entire offseason to work in) find a way to fill the hole on offense.
24isthelaw

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Patriots injuries: Dan Connolly, Logan Mankins Reply with quote

mcmurtry86 wrote:

I do think though that if the team decides not to re-sign Welker (either force him to take the Franchise tag again or let him walk), it will be because of the drops. At this point, I think I'd rather them spend that money on D and (with an entire offseason to work in) find a way to fill the hole on offense.

Fair enough. On one hand, I agree with you that I'd like to see the team invest solely on the defense and let the offense figure it out. But I'm much more confident in the team's ability to effectively allocate resources (players, money, draft picks) on the offense. We've picked mostly on defense over the last several years (2011 being the exception) and have little on that side of the ball to show for it.

mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Patriots injuries: Dan Connolly, Logan Mankins Reply with quote

24isthelaw wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:

Fair enough. On one hand, I agree with you that I'd like to see the team invest solely on the defense and let the offense figure it out. But I'm much more confident in the team's ability to effectively allocate resources (players, money, draft picks) on the offense. We've picked mostly on defense over the last several years (2011 being the exception) and have little on that side of the ball to show for it.

I'd like to see them invest a lot of money in proven defensive talent instead of trying to strike gold with obvious scrubs like Trevor Scott and Steve Gregory. I know that strategy didn't work with Adalius Thomas, but they have to infuse the D with talent and IMO experience. Some of their problems are either caused by or exacerbated by their youth and inexperience.
24isthelaw

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Patriots injuries: Dan Connolly, Logan Mankins Reply with quote

mcmurtry86 wrote:
24isthelaw wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:

I'd like to see them invest a lot of money in proven defensive talent instead of trying to strike gold with obvious scrubs like Trevor Scott and Steve Gregory. I know that strategy didn't work with Adalius Thomas, but they have to infuse the D with talent and IMO experience. Some of their problems are either caused by or exacerbated by their youth and inexperience.

Same here. Over the past 5 years, they've been playing the numbers by trying to sign every cheap free agent until they strike gold. I get that the strategy mitigates risk, but it hasn't yielded any reward either.

GoldenboyGB

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These ankles bro.

Mankins was in a boot so he's getting shut down for some time. Connolly no idea likely will be back at some point. Welker has been looking off for the past two games.

When Hernandez comes back lower Welkers snap count and put in Edelman to give him a rest.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: Patriots injuries: Dan Connolly, Logan Mankins Reply with quote

mcmurtry86 wrote:
24isthelaw wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:

He's come through more because he gets the most opportunities. I'd also suggest (though don't have the stats) that he's killed far more drives with drops than any other receiving option on the team.

Like you stated, Welker gets a ton of bulk opportunities.

Those drops are going to be more memorable just because they're a negative event, but that doesn't take away from how the vast majority of the time he comes through for us. The drops hurt, but I think you're overreacting to a bad game. If we don't sign Welker it's because he wants too much and he's too old at a position where he's likely to be injured more and more frequently.

I would be completely okay with relocating that money elsewhere, but it isn't strictly because of some drops.

Drew Brees IS the most accurate qb ever

Brees that night:
28/50, 341 yards, 0 TD, 5 INT.
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Patriots injuries: Dan Connolly, Logan Mankins Reply with quote

tonyto3690 wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:
24isthelaw wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:

Like you stated, Welker gets a ton of bulk opportunities.

Those drops are going to be more memorable just because they're a negative event, but that doesn't take away from how the vast majority of the time he comes through for us. The drops hurt, but I think you're overreacting to a bad game. If we don't sign Welker it's because he wants too much and he's too old at a position where he's likely to be injured more and more frequently.

I would be completely okay with relocating that money elsewhere, but it isn't strictly because of some drops.

It's not just "a bad game" though. His drops were a big problem in 2010 and everyone just chalked it up to "coming back from the knee injury". Last year he started off great but dropped a few down the stretch and then obviously the big one in the Super Bowl (yes it was a difficult catch, but it's one he usually makes). This year the drops have been bad, probably on 2010 level.

Now, some of that is due to the volume he gets. But a lot of these passes are ones that go right through his hands or bounce off his chest.

Welker has a lot of value, but most of it is tied up in his ability to catch almost everything and to get quick separation off the snap. If the former is deteriorating and the latter is likely to as he gets older, I see no way to justify a contract for him. His hands are his biggest selling point, along with his agility.
terbo559

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are going to need Connolly and Mankins come time we face 49ers and Texans.
jofos

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what it's worth Welker has 6 drops (tied for 5th), Gronk and Lloyd have 5 each and are tied for 11th. With the higher number of targets Welker may not be as bad the other two. Either way thats not the stat you want to be that high in. Jimmy Graham leads the NFL with 9.
TomRalph

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jofos wrote:
For what it's worth Welker has 6 drops (tied for 5th), Gronk and Lloyd have 5 each and are tied for 11th. With the higher number of targets Welker may not be as bad the other two. Either way thats not the stat you want to be that high in. Jimmy Graham leads the NFL with 9.

Gronk has an excuse, of sorts, in that he hasn't been fully healthy all season.

His bad hip is clearly giving him problems in terms of bending down to grab low balls.

Adopt-a-Patriot '14: Danny Amendola Status: Being Severely Underutilised

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: