Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Steeler contract issues
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jebrick

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:12 am    Post subject: Steeler contract issues Reply with quote

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/2904694-85/million-steelers-free-agent-season-2013-due-nfl-wallace-contract#ixzz2Bt1rVjrc

Good article on this issues coming up in the off season.

Quote:
Think itís difficult balancing the family checkbook? Try balancing Omar Khanís.

Khan, the director of business and football administration for the Steelers, is responsible for making sure the team stays under the salary cap, which is $121 million this season. He is so skilled at a job whose duties include negotiating contracts, he has been contacted about multiple NFL general managersí jobs.

Just like an overly expensive trip to Costco can ruin a monthly budget, so can a poorly done contract, and thanks to Khan and GM Kevin Colbert, the Steelers havenít had nearly as many of those as some franchises.

The Steelers are projected to be about $12 million to $15 million over the cap once the 2012 season ends, and it will take some mathematical manipulations by Khan to balance it all out. Until then, current-roster performances will be evaluated, the free-agent market assessed, the college talent pool scouted.

"You build with draft choices. You find people with talents adaptable to your plans and then you teach them to do things the way we do them." - Chuck Noll
turtle28

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been saying for a while the steelers have some tough cuts to make next year. I think we are looking at the last year of Harrison, Kiesel, Hampton, Starks, Polumalu, Clark and Taylor.

They could be brought back on cheaper contracts but the team can't afford to pay them what they are currently.

Last edited by turtle28 on Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
jebrick

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMHO, they have got to try and keep K. Lewis. it might be impossible to keep any of their UFA. They only thing that may work in the Steeler's favor is that their DB;s have a bad reputation outside of LeBeau's scheme.

"You build with draft choices. You find people with talents adaptable to your plans and then you teach them to do things the way we do them." - Chuck Noll
turtle28

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jebrick wrote:
IMHO, they have got to try and keep K. Lewis. it might be impossible to keep any of their UFA. They only thing that may work in the Steeler's favor is that their DB;s have a bad reputation outside of LeBeau's scheme.
i agree. Keenan "ivory Wayne's" Lewis is a part of this teams future.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Dook

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we're only $12m to $15m over the cap, that's nothing. We can get under just by restructuring some veteran contracts again and then cutting Harrison and Keisel will get us enough to sign our own free agents (not including Mendy and Wallace) and draft picks.

One site I saw, SteelersFury, said we would be $24m over. That would take some big time cuts to get under.
turtle28

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dook wrote:
If we're only $12m to $15m over the cap, that's nothing. We can get under just by restructuring some veteran contracts again and then cutting Harrison and Keisel will get us enough to sign our own free agents (not including Mendy and Wallace) and draft picks.

One site I saw, SteelersFury, said we would be $24m over. That would take some big time cuts to get under.
the problem with restructuring veterans contracts is that you extend the cap hits to later years. It's really not solving the problem, it's only putting it off till a later date. I guess it depends how they restructure the contracts but they have to be careful to do it in a way that isn't going to kill them in a few years.
AlanFanecaFan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Signing Ben to a new deal would help....counts roughly $20 mill against cap next year.

If Wallace walks, which is likely, #1 priority is Lewis.

Tro to resign one of Starks, foster or Bronco for OL depth...if Foster keeps up current level of play, he's gone for greener pastures.

Resign Foote for another year or two as a stopgap til Spence or somebody else steps in.

Cut Keisel...maybe Taylor if they resign Lewis and feel Cortez is ready.

Gunny Highway wrote:
Ed Reed coughs real hard and his other testicle descends and he admits Hines Ward has far more grit than he does
steelcurtain29

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cut Keisel and Hampton. Maybe even Taylor. That should bring us close to even.

Call me crazy... but we may have some more money coming soon... from Polamalu. We may be seeing the end of him, if he can't get healthier.
Dook

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basically when they restructure a contract they are signing the player to a new deal, with the same exact terms but money up front as a signing bonus that is spread out over the whole life of the remaining contract.

We could keep Wallace if he'll accept $10m a year. If he wants more then I'm not so sure.

Hampton wouldn't be a cut because his contract this year is only for one year. He would just not be resigned.
treat88

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They will keep restructuring and pushing money into the future waiting for the TV revenue to jump.

15-18 mil over is a cakewalk for Khan.

I don't think they will afford Wallace on a new deal. I do think he may get tagged. Lots of deadwood to chop this off season and lots of deals ripe to redo.

I think Lewis will absolutely get C2. I'm not all in on him yet, but he may be priority #1 over Wallace.

Manny Sanders has a chance to make himself some money with AB out as well. Might earn himself a second round tender.

"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself."
Dook

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

treat88 wrote:

Manny Sanders has a chance to make himself some money with AB out as well. Might earn himself a second round tender.

I don't know whats holding Sanders back. He has to step it up this year and he's healthy but only 3 receptions per game avg isn't worth any tag at all in my opinion.

Heck, I bet we can get that out of Gilreath.
kethnaab

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
I've been saying for a while the steelers have some tough cuts to make next year. I think we are looking at the last year of Harrison, Kiesel, Hampton, Starks, Polumalu, Clark and Taylor.

They could be brought back on cheaper contracts but the team can't afford to pay them what they are currently.

Harrison, Keisel, and Hampton are gone.

Taylor will restructure. Harrison might, but it's time for Snack to retire. Of course, if LeBeau hangs on for yet another season, all 4 of them might still be here.

ZERO chance Clark and Polamalu are gone. Zero. Troy will retire a Steeler and Clark is too damn good to let go.

Starks will probably have to move on, unfortunately.
AlanFanecaFan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dook wrote:
treat88 wrote:

I don't know whats holding Sanders back. He has to step it up this year and he's healthy but only 3 receptions per game avg isn't worth any tag at all in my opinion.

You've said this before and it's incredibly stupid...lookin at bulk numbers from a guy who's been no better then a #3 WR due to having 2 incredibly talented guys in from of him.

It's called talent...if you can't tell the difference of that from a guy who's a practice squad type ...then I don't know what to tell you

Gunny Highway wrote:
Ed Reed coughs real hard and his other testicle descends and he admits Hines Ward has far more grit than he does
turtle28

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kethnaab wrote:
turtle28 wrote:

Harrison, Keisel, and Hampton are gone.

Taylor will restructure. Harrison might, but it's time for Snack to retire. Of course, if LeBeau hangs on for yet another season, all 4 of them might still be here.

ZERO chance Clark and Polamalu are gone. Zero. Troy will retire a Steeler and Clark is too damn good to let go.

Starks will probably have to move on, unfortunately.
wait,
Clark is too good to let go?

All I heard all offseason was how average he was from some posters.

My thing with all the guys is age, cost and when they are that old they are prone to injuries. Not always season ending injuries but more like the thing Troy is going through now. It happens to most players when they hit their mid 30s. It happened to Shawn Springs for the skins.
Dook

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlanFanecaFan wrote:
Dook wrote:
treat88 wrote:

You've said this before and it's incredibly stupid...lookin at bulk numbers from a guy who's been no better then a #3 WR due to having 2 incredibly talented guys in from of him.

It's called talent...if you can't tell the difference of that from a guy who's a practice squad type ...then I don't know what to tell you

You don't like bulk numbers? Oh boo hoo.

How about single game numbers. Two receptions. No AB in the game.

Two.

Stupid is giving a 2nd round tender to a guy who averages 2 receptions per game over four years.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: