Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Chargers Offseason
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Diego Chargers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JammerHammer21

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Runaway Jim wrote:
I was thinking safety because you guys were complaining about your safety play in one of your gameday threads. Laughing

Yeah, but Bigby is injured and now we get to try Taylor out. There's no reason to give up on him, when we just picked him and we have major OLB and OT issues.

Bohlmann20 (On The 95 Cleveland Browns Staff) wrote:
Lombardi - Isn't that the guy the trophy is named after? If so, top 3 coach of all time.

#JDI
The LBC

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Runaway Jim wrote:
I was thinking safety because you guys were complaining about your safety play in one of your gameday threads. Laughing

That's Atari Bigby, though, who's a free agent after this season anyway.

The point is, unless there's a safety who is a bonafide, right out the gate starter (which for rookie safeties that's not exactly common unless we're talking guys with low 1st round/high 2nd round grades slipping through the cracks), there's really no point in spending a 3rd round pick on a safety when another position is more likely to press for immediate playing time.

This team is in the position it's in because the team kept drafting for secondary needs in lieu of just seizing the opportunity to add pure quality when it was available in the draft. DB's have a typical one year learning curve in the pros. If we're talking going the route that Chicago has/does and drafting a late round safety religiously each year because those guys are able to contribute on ST, that's one thing. But using what's still a premium pick in a high 3rd rounder on a guy who isn't a definitive upgrade over what's currently being fielded is foolish. No matter which DC we've had over the past 5+ years, we've always run a dual-safety system - that is to say there's no pure free or strong safety and rather both guys need to be able to do a little bit of everything (very similar to what's asked of Cover-2 safeties). TJ McDonald (along with Lester, he's probably the best available on the board right now) has already shown that he struggles to show growth in this kind of system. Lester's been similar - he's taken a bit of a backseat to the other guys on his defense (to Mark Barron last year and to Vinnie Sunseri this year), which is a shame because I was high on him last year.

Meanwhile, there's potential for guys like Brandon Jenkins, Jackson Jeffcoat (to get him in the 3rd, even if he is coming off an injury, is a boon), even Kawann Short to be sitting there in the 3rd. That's a little more talent than should be passed on to get a guy who might overtake Brandon Taylor at SS, but more likely will suffer the same rookie learning curve that all DB's with elite upside do.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There isn't a starting caliber LT hitting the FA market this year. We go into next year with what we have and we are looking at a 6 win tops team.

We need to draft for need. We need a day one starter at LT that has a clean health record. Upside means squat diddly poo. We must fill the LT tackle position with someone Rivers can trust to be available on Sundays. Not even my hatred of Clary leads me to any other scenario. If a starter will be there in the second then we can wait but Gaither is worthless, Dom is 4 injury plagued years removed from being above average, and Harris is an UDFA that should have been nothing more then a emergency utility lineman at this level.

We were dismally over matched this season and if we don't fix Rivers blindside next year will be even worse. You don't want to see what happens if our 93 million dollar quarterback gets hurt and we are looking at clipboard Jesus to be our salvation. Hardwick is gone, Mcneil is gone and Dielman are gone. Vasquez is average at best and Clary straight sucks.

EverythingSF wrote:
But I do feel Alex is better than Rivers and we may as well not even argue over it here because I am pretty sure neither will change the others mind.
The LBC

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boltstrikes wrote:
There isn't a starting caliber LT hitting the FA market this year. We go into next year with what we have and we are looking at a 6 win tops team.

We need to draft for need. We need a day one starter at LT that has a clean health record. Upside means squat diddly poo. We must fill the LT tackle position with someone Rivers can trust to be available on Sundays. Not even my hatred of Clary leads me to any other scenario. If a starter will be there in the second then we can wait but Gaither is worthless, Dom is 4 injury plagued years removed from being above average, and Harris is an UDFA that should have been nothing more then a emergency utility lineman at this level.

We were dismally over matched this season and if we don't fix Rivers blindside next year will be even worse. You don't want to see what happens if our 93 million dollar quarterback gets hurt and we are looking at clipboard Jesus to be our salvation. Hardwick is gone, Mcneil is gone and Dielman are gone. Vasquez is average at best and Clary straight sucks.

I'm not sure what you're getting at here. I said specifically drafting for secondary (not the position of "the secondary" but as in "not primary" needs). Offensive line is very obviously a primary need - and far more so than safety is - which is what I was referring to.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boltstrikes wrote:

Jake Long isn't a starting caliber LT? Bushrod isn't?

Lombardi - Isn't that the guy the trophy is named after? If so, top 3 coach of all time.

#JDI
MrDrew

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JammerHammer21 wrote:
Boltstrikes wrote:

No chance either of them walks. They'll get franchised.

"I am a leaf on the wind... Watch how I soar"
Runaway Jim

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Runaway Jim wrote:
With the 76th pick, the San Diego Chargers select:

Cornellius Carradine OLB Florida State

The_Slamman wrote:
RJ is officially the Champion
lakeroy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Runaway Jim wrote:
Runaway Jim wrote:
With the 76th pick, the San Diego Chargers select:

Cornellius Carradine OLB Florida State
You've been drafting perfectly so far. Lewan, Poyer, and Carradine would be amazing

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hate to even type this but, If we get a GM who will take a chance and draft the "Honey Badger" to improve our secondary should we. Im really against poison players but at the same time we need to do something fast. With him going probably 3rd or 4th round maybe we could use early picks somewhere else.
Duffman57

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wilkieray wrote:
Hate to even type this but, If we get a GM who will take a chance and draft the "Honey Badger" to improve our secondary should we. Im really against poison players but at the same time we need to do something fast. With him going probably 3rd or 4th round maybe we could use early picks somewhere else.

No...just no...

He's a small, slow CB who really benefits from a lot of guys around him, especially the elite pass rushers at LSU.

He's a S in a body too small and slow to play CB at the next level...

He's a fighter, but especailly with the year off, he's got a LOT of work to do, and has to make up a LOT of ground that he loses with measurables, and i just dont see him doing it. I wouldn't touch him till the 7th at earliest. Was never a 1st rounder in my mind.

Rammy da best sigmaker of all time!

MrDrew wrote:
Everything about Rivers is Awkward, reminiscent of a Giraffe with Down's Syndrome
JammerHammer21

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love Carradine, but he did tear an ACL.

And Mathieu has outstanding instincts, nothing else.

#JDI
Boltstrikes

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LSU is the New USC. Players get severely over hyped and don't present good value when looked at as NFL prospects.

EverythingSF wrote:
But I do feel Alex is better than Rivers and we may as well not even argue over it here because I am pretty sure neither will change the others mind.
Runaway Jim

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JammerHammer21 wrote:
Love Carradine, but he did tear an ACL.

That's why you can have him in the third round. He'll have to start the year on PUP, but he could become a special player.

The_Slamman wrote:
RJ is officially the Champion
MrDrew

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrDrew wrote:
JammerHammer21 wrote:
Boltstrikes wrote:

No chance either of them walks. They'll get franchised.

I stand corrected

Rotoworld wrote:
Per ESPN's Adam Schefter, it would cost the Dolphins $15.365 million to use the franchise tag on LT Jake Long in 2013.
It's a ton of money for a player whose effectiveness has waned in the face of nagging injuries. Long is currently on the shelf after he sustained a triceps injury Sunday and could be done for the season. Schefter is the latest to suggest that Long may have played his final game as a Dolphin because the team can't -- or doesn't want to -- pony up that $15 million. Rookie Jonathan Martin projects to get a tryout at left tackle over the final four games

"I am a leaf on the wind... Watch how I soar"
Boltstrikes

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A tackle with injury concerns? AJ probably will break the bank.

EverythingSF wrote:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Diego Chargers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: