Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

hornby's state of the franchise

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hornbybrown

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:01 am    Post subject: hornby's state of the franchise Reply with quote

Going to rate the different player groups as I see them and give some genral thoughts.

QB. Weeden has been ok for a rookie. He does miss a hell of a lot of open guys. He reminds me a bit of DA. He seems to want to either go deep or drop it down to the RB. Missing a lot of open mid range targets. Unlike DA I think he is smart enough to fix this.
I want to stick with Weeden but who knows what a new coach will do....

RB. I really like our stable of RB's. Trent is going to be a beast and is now hitting the hole hard. The other guys are all able to contribute in some way.
I don't see a new coach doing anything here.

WR. We have tons of talent if they develope like we hope they will we don't need to do anything with this group. Having said that I would not complain if we threw some money at Greg Jennings.

TE. This group badly needs a upgrade. Watson has very little left, Smith is what he is and Cameron.... He flashes real talent but he has shown less that Evan Moore did to this point and it's more likely he doesn't turn out great than he turns into something awesome.

FB..... Owen sucks and if there is new coaches in place next year he is gone. Look for a late round pick to be spent here.

OL. Started the season slow but are playing well now ( since Pinkston has been out....) I can see us adding a Guard in FA.

DL. Jabael Sheard where are you? After last season i had really high hopes for him. We will be adding a DE I think we are all in agreement that it's a big need. As for the inside of the DL. WOW the two Rookies are going great for where they were taken and Rubin and Taylor are young too. These guys are great and hopefully all here for a long time.

LB's. Started the season great but have fallen off. JMJ looks like he will be solid. Really need an upgrade at the other OLB spot.

DB's. Joe and TJ form a great core but we really need a ball hawk FS. We don't make enough turnovers out if this group. Sheldon has been nice this year. I would be all for him getting two more years.

K. Dawson is awesome nough said.

P Reggie maybe you should just run them all for 60 yards....

Overall I feel like we are a lot better than 2-7 but we are young so we have not worked out how to win yet.
I really feel the right coach will walk in here and we will be rolling.
The AFC north is there for the taking. Ravens and Steelers are not what they used to be. Bengals only have one more win than us.

Banner and Haslim have a huge important off season coming up. They get the GM (hope it's Heckert) and coaching choices right and this thing will turn around fast.

Thoughts.

Adopt a Brown 2014
Miles Austin
Pierre Desir
bigdogsandiego

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The state of our franchise starts at the top and Haslam is motivated to win with a winning team. Haslam will be "hands on" unlike Lerner who was detached for some unknown reason. Banner is a proven professional and brings more to the table than Holmgren. Clearly this team of two winners should be the impetus for bringing the right GM and Coach although there will have to be a reason to replace and H&B have demonstrated patience. Most of the position coaches are safe except Chilly, Cromwell, and Whipple as the offense just does not have any identity, sense of improvement, and ability to score touchdowns. In a passing league, we have had three years to get with the program and our passing offense is ranked #30 and has only briefly been higher when McCoy had a little run last year. My gut feeling tells me Heckert will be retained if he agrees to somewhat reduced role and Shurmur is long gone.

Browns personnel are being evaluated and your assessment is reasonable although there is a lot of football left this year as well as some needs. All the business people are working for their jobs too which provides motivation. Browns brain trust including Haslam, Banner, Holmgren, Heckert, and Shurmur surely should have a good feel for the personnel as they make the right decisions moving forward. The new management team must have a plan in order to operate.

Fan base is strong and motivated for a winning franchise as Browns fans will support a team of professionals.

Stadium and all other facilities are state of the art. Easy access and parking!
cattleman78

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reasonable evaluation. If there is a way to lose a game this team will find it.
Bottom line it starts and ends with Weeden. Right now drafting a q.b. in the first round could happen though unlikely.
I like our offensive. players overall. Tight end must be adressed. Mistakes must be addressed. Thomas,Mack and Richardson are very good players. Flash Gordan and Schwartz look like they will become very good players. Little and Weeden have a chance to. Guards are better than some think.
On defense we need another pass rusher. We also need to stop the run. Pass coverage by our linebackers is terrible. Free safety is very weak. Haden,Brown and Ward on the whole have played well. J.M. Johnson looks to be improving. Give us an impact player at free safety and def. end and this defense gets a lot better. Linebacker needs improvement also. Love Billy Winn.

Adopted Brown Tashaun Gipson safety
vs. g.bay 7 tackles,2 asst. tackles and 1 pass defended
BocaRatonBrown1

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 sides of the coin

Da bad

This team is currently in the worst situation it has ever been since 2009 Mangini the week after we fired Kokinis. We are nnot sure about the QB right now. As Banner stated Weeden is going to be Evaluated.

QB?????

HC?????

GM??????

It does not get any worse than this not knowing whether your GM HC or QB are going to be there next season.

The flip side to this is we are also in the best situation we have ever been since going into the end of Palmers last season right before we hired Butch Davis 2001.

We finally have a owner in the house showing up every week to watch his team. We are going to end up killing it this off season. My crystal ball says something like this.

GM
#1 Scott Pioli
#2 Heckert

HC
#1 Andy Reid/John Gruden
#2 Chip Kelly/Nick Saban
#3Chilly/Jauron

QB
#1 Geno Smith/Matt Barkley/Tyler Bray/Landry Jones
#2 Ryan Mallett/Mike Vick/Kevin Kolb/Matt Flynn
#3 Weeden/Colt

Haslam is going to spend money on a #1 WR my guess is Jennings or Bowe. Plus one solid defensive player either Grimes/Osi/Avril/Byrd.

I hope we finish strong this season win 5 maybe 6 games would really help this teams confidence....
Bucketheadsdad

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure if I'm the only one, but I'm not necessarily really big on bringing in Pioli.

He's done a "bang up" job in KC.

2014 1st Ballot Recipient of the Joe Blackburn Award...#FREEJOSHGORDON! Adopt a Brownie 2014: Jabaal Sheard

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: