Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Updated Mock

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Arizona Cardinals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
AZPSquared


Joined: 17 Oct 2012
Posts: 1416
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:41 am    Post subject: Updated Mock Reply with quote

Round 1: Taylor Lewan, OT, Michigan

Round 2: EJ Manuel, QB, Florida State

Round 3: Sean Porter, OLB, Texas A&M

Round 4: Shayne Skov, ILB, Stanford

Round 5: Philip Thomas, S, Fresno State

Round 6: Rod Sweeting, CB, Georgia Tech

Round 7: Blaize Foltz, OG, TCU


The 2nd Round is tricky because I don't even think they need a QB because I'm fine with Kolb as long as the oline is fixed. But I put in a QB to please some. If I didnt go QB in the 2nd I would have gone maybe Warmack in Round 1 and Aboushi in Round 2.

I kept going back and forth between Chance Warmack and Taylor Lewan. I thought Warmack because he Adam Snyder is atrocious but he also signed a big contract before the season and the coaches apparently love him. Lewan could be an option but Levi is coming back and Massie I think has RT locked with some good recent performances and Potter is "apparently emerging"


Last edited by AZPSquared on Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:07 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
khodder


Moderator - MVP
Joined: 19 Dec 2005
Posts: 50197
Location: New New York
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a huge fan of Skov, he cannot get off blocks and he seems to give up on plays far too easily. He is going to get press, but not a big fan.

Not sure I like Porter's fit in this defense, he is a 43 WILL IMO, very athletic, very good in coverage, liability vs the run. Not going to be able to set the edge in the NFL, lacks power to his game. He is not going to get drafted by a 34 team IMO.

I could stomach the rest of the draft, though I don't see the value in drafting a QB in the 2nd round these days, with the advances is the scouting and drafting process if you have any worth to an NFL team you are going in the top 15 picks.
_________________
FFMD 2014 - ARIZONA CARDINALS GM - CLICK ME - YOU KNOW YOU WANT TO


Last edited by khodder on Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:31 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger
AZPSquared


Joined: 17 Oct 2012
Posts: 1416
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

khodder wrote:
Not a huge fan of Skov, he cannot get off blocks and he seems to give up on plays far too easily. He is going to get press, but not a big fan.

Not sure I like Porter's fit in this offense, he is a 43 WILL IMO, very athletic, very good in coverage, liability vs the run. Not going to be able to set the edge in the NFL, lacks power to his game. He is not going to get drafted by a 34 team IMO.

I could stomach the rest of the draft, though I don't see the value in drafting a QB in the 2nd round these days, with the advances is the scouting and drafting process if you have any worth to an NFL team you are going in the top 15 picks.


Actually Porter thrived in the 3-4 that A&M used before this season and he is not a fit for a 4-3. I put in a QB to appease some fans but i think Kolb can win with a good oline.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
khodder


Moderator - MVP
Joined: 19 Dec 2005
Posts: 50197
Location: New New York
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AZPSquared wrote:
khodder wrote:
Not a huge fan of Skov, he cannot get off blocks and he seems to give up on plays far too easily. He is going to get press, but not a big fan.

Not sure I like Porter's fit in this offense, he is a 43 WILL IMO, very athletic, very good in coverage, liability vs the run. Not going to be able to set the edge in the NFL, lacks power to his game. He is not going to get drafted by a 34 team IMO.

I could stomach the rest of the draft, though I don't see the value in drafting a QB in the 2nd round these days, with the advances is the scouting and drafting process if you have any worth to an NFL team you are going in the top 15 picks.


Actually Porter thrived in the 3-4 that A&M used before this season and he is not a fit for a 4-3. I put in a QB to appease some fans but i think Kolb can win with a good oline.


Don't think scheme think player skillset. Porter is a 6-2, 230 pound weakside linebacker who has skills rushing the passer, skills attacking the LOS, skills in coverage, but lacks upper body strength, cannot hold the point against an offensive lineman and is not great in contain.

Evaluate the player not the scheme that he plays in.
_________________
FFMD 2014 - ARIZONA CARDINALS GM - CLICK ME - YOU KNOW YOU WANT TO
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger
DirtyDez


Joined: 15 Oct 2010
Posts: 11715
Location: the Arizona desert
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the first two picks (position wise at least) could be accurate if two things happen:

1. Potter struggles at LT for the rest of the season
2. New coach wants his own QB

Doesn't seem like a QB other than Geno is worthy of where we'll be picking so 2nd round may be a realistic area for a QB... Is it a lock that Manuel gets drafted before Murray?

(I think Warmack > Lewan but agree that LT's a bigger need if Potter can't hang)
_________________

The Rebuild Has Begun...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Boise&cards Fan


Joined: 03 Dec 2010
Posts: 3079
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nit a big fan of it. On my phone so cant type a whole lot
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DJ_Fka


Joined: 13 Jan 2009
Posts: 4683
Location: Brisvegas, Land Down Under
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If that is Whiz's last draft, he should get fired on the spot.

Lewan is a good pick but we are drafting top 10, he is not top 10 talent atm IMO.

Waste of picks 2 - 4, probably why we suck so much anyway, we seem to miss on them.

5-7 would fill depth needs.

Kolb or Skelton gets one more year, we have Lindley, so Manuel doesnt make much difference, no way Whiz brakes in a rookie QB in his last year, if we have a new HC then we go completely different draft. At least you didnt draft Landry Jones.

Skov and Porter as Khodder says doesnt fit and I agree, there are better players in those rounds that fit our scheme.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
khodder


Moderator - MVP
Joined: 19 Dec 2005
Posts: 50197
Location: New New York
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DJ_Fka wrote:
Waste of picks 2 - 4, probably why we suck so much anyway, we seem to miss on them.


That is closer to the opposite of true that true;

2007 - Branch/Davis - Two misses, first draft though
2008 - Campbell/Doucet/Iwebema - Two hits one miss, Doucet is a hit based on what he has given us in his short time here as a 3rd round selection.
2009 - Brown/Johnson/Toler - Not great, but still has upside with Toler. Brown was the worst selection here
2010 - Washington/Roberts/Schofield - Three hits
2011 - Williams/Housler/Acho - Jury is still out, but could very well be three hits, two look like long term starters here.

It has got a lot better, but also has the big hits with Washington and Campbell.
_________________
FFMD 2014 - ARIZONA CARDINALS GM - CLICK ME - YOU KNOW YOU WANT TO
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger
shawn


Joined: 02 Nov 2005
Posts: 5865
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the good: you have us taking a lineman in round one

the bad: you don't have us taking another lineman until round 7

the ugly: QB in round two...I know Andy Dalton has worked out well for Cincy, but most 2nd round Qb's are career backups, something we have plenty of.
_________________

sig made by mike23md
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
AZPSquared


Joined: 17 Oct 2012
Posts: 1416
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah and I said Im not keen on the whole QB thing if its not one of he top guys because Kolb can play when he has time. Lewan on many draft boards is a top 10 player. Porter needs to add a bit of weight but still projects well as a 3-4 outside linebacker who can rush the passer. Skov is a talented player who just needs to get back fully healthy. I would consider taking Ertz or Eifert Round 2 (Heap wont be back) or Corey Lemoiner or maybe even a corner like David Amerson.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
stchamp98


Most Valuable Poster (3rd Ballot)

Joined: 11 Apr 2005
Posts: 52978
Location: Havre, Montana
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shawn wrote:
the good: you have us taking a lineman in round one

the bad: you don't have us taking another lineman until round 7

the ugly: QB in round two...I know Andy Dalton has worked out well for Cincy, but most 2nd round Qb's are career backups, something we have plenty of.


Bolded: Even that pick hasn't been all sunshines nd kittens. Andy Dalton is a seriously flawed player with a lower rating than Kolb had pre-injury. Below average arm, terrible decision marker. His stats look better than his actual on-field player simply because AJ Green is unreal. Take AJ Green off that team and Dalton's a complete scrub.

The way the draft has evolved, you always have to take a quarterback round 1 or not take a quarterback at all.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
stchamp98


Most Valuable Poster (3rd Ballot)

Joined: 11 Apr 2005
Posts: 52978
Location: Havre, Montana
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DJ_Fka wrote:
If that is Whiz's last draft, he should get fired on the spot.

Lewan is a good pick but we are drafting top 10, he is not top 10 talent atm IMO.

Waste of picks 2 - 4, probably why we suck so much anyway, we seem to miss on them.

5-7 would fill depth needs.

Kolb or Skelton gets one more year, we have Lindley, so Manuel doesnt make much difference, no way Whiz brakes in a rookie QB in his last year, if we have a new HC then we go completely different draft. At least you didnt draft Landry Jones.

Skov and Porter as Khodder says doesnt fit and I agree, there are better players in those rounds that fit our scheme.


Bolded: I don't agree with this. Lewan is definitely top 10 material. Very good player with a lot of upside.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
AZPSquared


Joined: 17 Oct 2012
Posts: 1416
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stchamp98 wrote:
DJ_Fka wrote:
If that is Whiz's last draft, he should get fired on the spot.

Lewan is a good pick but we are drafting top 10, he is not top 10 talent atm IMO.

Waste of picks 2 - 4, probably why we suck so much anyway, we seem to miss on them.

5-7 would fill depth needs.

Kolb or Skelton gets one more year, we have Lindley, so Manuel doesnt make much difference, no way Whiz brakes in a rookie QB in his last year, if we have a new HC then we go completely different draft. At least you didnt draft Landry Jones.

Skov and Porter as Khodder says doesnt fit and I agree, there are better players in those rounds that fit our scheme.


Bolded: I don't agree with this. Lewan is definitely top 10 material. Very good player with a lot of upside.


Yeah i think Lewan actually has more upside than Joeckel, Joeckel is more polished (technically sound) though
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
khodder


Moderator - MVP
Joined: 19 Dec 2005
Posts: 50197
Location: New New York
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stchamp98 wrote:
Bolded: Even that pick hasn't been all sunshines nd kittens. Andy Dalton is a seriously flawed player with a lower rating than Kolb had pre-injury. Below average arm, terrible decision marker. His stats look better than his actual on-field player simply because AJ Green is unreal. Take AJ Green off that team and Dalton's a complete scrub.


Not to mention the #1 rated pass blocking offensive line in the NFL.
_________________
FFMD 2014 - ARIZONA CARDINALS GM - CLICK ME - YOU KNOW YOU WANT TO
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Arizona Cardinals All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group