Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Baltimore Ravens vs. Oakland Raiders
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Baltimore Pride

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loved the way the announcers kept babbling about running up the score, forgetting that the league is donating money to veteran causes this week for each point scored Laughing

Hopefully we can carry this momentum into Pittsburgh next week.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baltimore Pride wrote:
Loved the way the announcers kept babbling about running up the score, forgetting that the league is donating money to veteran causes this week for each point scored Laughing

This is a really good point, I totally forgot about that as well. I think from that perspective then it really makes sense that we'd keep trying to go for the score.

That said, Harbaugh's track record doesn't necessarily convince me that this perspective is exactly "valid".

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

diamondbull424 wrote:
Baltimore Pride wrote:

This is a really good point, I totally forgot about that as well. I think from that perspective then it really makes sense that we'd keep trying to go for the score.

That said, Harbaugh's track record doesn't necessarily convince me that this perspective is exactly "valid".

Harbaugh made another good point in the presser after the game. When Koch went in for the score, there were still 20 minutes left. A lot can happen in an NFL game in 20 minutes, so there's no way anyone could say for sure 'we don't need these points'.

What if the Raiders return the kick off for a TD, and then intercept Flacco on the first play of the following drive for a pick six? Suddenly the game looks very different.

But honestly, I always find the 'running up the score' argument to be ridiculous. Don't want teams to put 50/60 points on you? Play better. Stop 'em scoring.

But I think the Ravens showed today that when they play hard for all four quarters, they are a hell of a football team. That's a point that I think needed to be made, after all the scepticism over the direction of the team in the last few weeks.

Still too many yards given up in the passing game, and it's hard to tell whether the hugely improved run stats were due to actual improvements or just the fact that the Raiders were starting the Gatorade boy at RB.

I liked the tipped passes a lot. That sort of thing can really ruin a game for the opposing offense, especially if the pass rush isn't really working. But generally I thought the front seven played much better. Three sacks on top of that. All without Ngata on the field.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I missed an grass whoopin'. I's mad, yo. I was able to watch bits and pieces on my phone/laptop at work. But I didn't see the overall madness.
Good to see a win. At this point I'll take 'em how I get 'em. Just win in the playoffs.

Ray Lewis wrote:
This it! This it, man! This is it! We goin' for a ring man!

Wise Old Man wrote:
Joe Flacco doesn't believe in miracles; miracles believe in Joe Flacco
diamondbull424

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RavensfanRD wrote:
So I missed an grass whoopin'. I's mad, yo. I was able to watch bits and pieces on my phone/laptop at work. But I didn't see the overall madness.
Good to see a win. At this point I'll take 'em how I get 'em. Just win in the playoffs.

You know this whole time I've been thinking you were a "new" member. I just now realized that you've actually been on this site longer than I have. Laughing

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

diamondbull424 wrote:
RavensfanRD wrote:

You know this whole time I've been thinking you were a "new" member. I just now realized that you've actually been on this site longer than I have. Laughing

I'm legit sad. Sad

Ray Lewis wrote:
This it! This it, man! This is it! We goin' for a ring man!

Wise Old Man wrote:
Joe Flacco doesn't believe in miracles; miracles believe in Joe Flacco
diamondbull424

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RavensfanRD wrote:
diamondbull424 wrote:
RavensfanRD wrote:

I'm legit sad. Sad

Well I didn't mean it in a bad way. It's just that, I thought you joined in about 2010/2011. Were you active right away or did you wait awhile to become active after joining?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:13 pm    Post subject: ... Reply with quote

What a great win today ! This team is a different animal at home. I really didnt expect any less against a god aweful Raiders D that gave up 29348032984 yards of total O to the Bucs.

This team played great today though. Can't complain about much. D capitalized on horrible offensive showing by the Raiders. Offense and special teams won us this game.

Next week is going to show a lot about where this team is at.
sp6488

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:22 am    Post subject: Re: ... Reply with quote

Nucky wrote:
What a great win today ! This team is a different animal at home. I really didnt expect any less against a god aweful Raiders D that gave up 29348032984 yards of total O to the Bucs.
This team played great today though. Can't complain about much. D capitalized on horrible offensive showing by the Raiders. Offense and special teams won us this game.

Next week is going to show a lot about where this team is at.

You expected them to put up more points than any team all year? Smile

Even I wasn't that optimistic. Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way, has anyone noticed the inverse relationship between how well the Ravens play and thread length?

Laughing

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's my recap of the game.

Positives

Flacco - He looked a lot better today than he has in recent weeks. There were a couple of throws that reminded you he is Joe Flacco (yeah I use that line a lot) but overall I was happy with his performance. Having a good day going into the Pittsburgh game is important too in my opinion.

Pass-blocking - No doubt that Flacco's good day was related to how well the offensive line did giving him time in the pocket. It was nice to see Reid get some time in at LG although I still think he's better on the outside.

Receivers - They had one of their "on" games today. Pretty much all of the skill-players made plays. Torrey Smith is legit and I can't wait until he becomes an even bigger/more consistent part of the offense.

Run-defense - Even though Oakland was without McFadden and Goodson (and they were the 31st ranked rushing offense with them) the run-defense looked good. Upshaw is coming on strong in his role as a SAM LB and the DL wasn't getting shredded even though Ngata didn't play much.

Pollard - They said it in the broadcast - this guy is the perfect fit for the Ravens defense. I love the hard-edge he brings to his side of the field and the team has been able to utilize him correctly (I.E. not relying on him in coverage too much unlike his time in Houston). One of the better low-profile free agent signings Newsome has made the past few seasons. Definitely exceeding what my expectations for him were.

Jones - Another kick return TD? It's hard to remember the last time one KR had multiple return TDs in the same season for the Ravens. He usually gets good yardage on non-TD returns too. Jones is another guy that's playing and producing better than I thought he would. Now if he only got on the field more for offense...

Pass-rush - It wasn't THAT good but compared to what we've seen in prior games it looked a whole lot better. Suggs coming back helps in a variety of ways including putting Kruger back in the role he had last season where he did so well and that's a big plus. I think it will continue to get better as Suggs gets back into football shape and Upshaw progresses.

Negatives

Run-blocking - The running game didn't look great today. Granted Yanda was probably a bit limited and Williams left the game (hurt the run-blocking but I think Reid helped the pass-blocking a lot) but the whole team only averaged 2.8 yards a carry and that's a bit of a letdown against a defense that isn't that good against the run.

Pass-defense - Palmer usually does well against the Ravens but he put up some really nice numbers today. This has been a concern all season and they even had a pass-rush in this game. It didn't help that Smith was limited due to abdominal problems. Regardless we need to see some improvements in this facet of the defense.

Tackling - This has been another issue throughout the season. It's hard to say what they can do to improve it (I doubt that they're not focusing on it in practice) other than just do better.

That's about it. Can't be too dissatisfied with yet another win and a franchise record for points scored. However, the Steelers are up next and I've already moved on from this game. I have a feeling that game-day thread could be the rowdiest yet. LET'S DO THIS!
sp6488

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Flacco - He looked a lot better today than he has in recent weeks. There were a couple of throws that reminded you he is Joe Flacco (yeah I use that line a lot) but overall I was happy with his performance. Having a good day going into the Pittsburgh game is important too in my opinion.

You would think based on this writeup that he was just solid. Flacco looked great today. He certainly needs to translate that to the road, but to ack like he was anything less than VERY good is ridiculous IMO.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sp6488 wrote:
Quote:

You would think based on this writeup that he was just solid. Flacco looked great today. He certainly needs to translate that to the road, but to ack like he was anything less than VERY good is ridiculous IMO.

I wasn't trying to imply that he didn't look great. Just late-night semantics lol.
sp6488

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

coordinator0 wrote:
sp6488 wrote:
Quote:

I wasn't trying to imply that he didn't look great. Just late-night semantics lol.

No worries man.

Honestly I'm bored in a hotel room (work travel) and kind of surprised by the lack of discussion in here. It was the raiders, but still. Most points by any team this season and most in franchise history is a pretty big deal.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mancunian Raven wrote:
diamondbull424 wrote:
Baltimore Pride wrote:

Harbaugh made another good point in the presser after the game. When Koch went in for the score, there were still 20 minutes left. A lot can happen in an NFL game in 20 minutes, so there's no way anyone could say for sure 'we don't need these points'.

What if the Raiders return the kick off for a TD, and then intercept Flacco on the first play of the following drive for a pick six? Suddenly the game looks very different.

LOL, c'mon.

The Ravens were up by 24 when they called the fake. Kicking the field goal turns a 3 possession game into a 4 possession game. Going for it still risks it being 3. Practically, there wasn't a good enough reason to do it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next
Page 16 of 19

Jump to: